2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Scotland Suggestions Inverness or Ayrshire areas

Clambake

I need some advice from this knowledgeable group. I have a Scotland trip planned next summer, and while we have a lot of courses already booked we're trying to add another course either around Inverness or in Ayrshire.

We already have the following planned: St. Andrews Old and Jubilee, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, Royal Dornoch, Brora, Prestwick, and Royal Troon. We can either stay an additional night in Dornoch and hit another course in that area like Castle Stuart or Tain, or add another course when we get to Ayrshire like Western Gailes or Dundonald. Not interested in Turnberry (well, actually we are but not under its current ownership).

Anyone have any great suggestions or preferences? Any hidden gems we might consider instead? Thanks!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed Tain, but its a good course, not great, and haven't played either Castle Stuart or Nairn. I did once follow a 36-hole day at Royal Dornoch with another 18 there the following day, and wasn't bored in the least. Its not often you play a single course on a golf holiday enough times to become familiar with it, but its a lot of fun.

In Ayrshire, I liked Dundonald, liked Glasgow Gailes surprisingly well, and really loved Western Gailes. That would be my suggestion in that neighborhood.

No question about any additional round in the Highlands : Castle Stuart ! Way better than Western Gailes (which is a nice course though).

It's a pity to keep Turnberry on the sideline, but I assume that some of you american are more sensitive to any Trump brand than we are on this side of the Pond. But it such a awesome course !

Click on my signature for pictures of Castle Stuart (and many other courses)

Thanks for the inputs. I contacted Carnegie but they're booked the day we could play (and all that week), and it sounds like the best choices would be Castle Stuart of W. Gailes depending on whether we play north or south. I've reached out to both for availability.

I'm leaning toward Castle Stuart just for something a bit different. We have a number of old historic courses we're playing, and along with Kingsbarns it would be nice to add in another take on modern links golf.

AuldPLO Swiss Golftrotter, thanks for the Flikr links. You've had some awesome experiences!!!

Inverness: Castle Stuart or Nairn

Ayrshire: Western Gailes (not even close)

Dundonald is in far better condition than Western and has been for over 18 months. Personally I now think Dundonald offers a better test of golf.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

If you stay in Inverness area try Moray Old. Nairn is undertaking a few changes at present and I'm not sure when its scheduled to be completed. Fortrose and Rosemarkie is decent but short, maybe a good rest/compromise day where accuracy is rewarded more than length.

Ayrshire, you have Prestwick, Barassie, Gailes, Dundonald, Western, Royal Troon or Troon Portland are all good shouts and all have merits.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed Tain, but its a good course, not great, and haven't played either Castle Stuart or Nairn. I did once follow a 36-hole day at Royal Dornoch with another 18 there the following day, and wasn't bored in the least. Its not often you play a single course on a golf holiday enough times to become familiar with it, but its a lot of fun.

In Ayrshire, I liked Dundonald, liked Glasgow Gailes surprisingly well, and really loved Western Gailes. That would be my suggestion in that neighborhood.

Your posts on the subject have convinced me to play Dundonald!

Our other choices are more on history - just have to play Royal Troon and Prestwick. As much as some of the other courses in the area look great and are recommended highly, and honestly it's golf in Scotland no matter where you play, I'm intrigued by the Prestwick St. Nicholas course and am leaning that way vs. some of the other choices. Sort of a Christmas in July round.

Still think getting 12 in at Shiskine might be fun as part of a day out on Arran, figure if we are spending a whole day there, 12 holes of golf shouldn't get in the way of anything. ;-)

Dundonald is just awful. Had my worst ever golf experience there. Won't be back and wouldn't recommend it to anyone

Well Ralphy, it's either Dundonald or Western Gailes (a few posters I trust recommend both and you are an anti-Crail-ite and that means we don't agree at the start, lol) - what would you say are the positives of both courses?

Dundonald is just awful. Had my worst ever golf experience there. Won't be back and wouldn't recommend it to anyone

Well Ralphy, it's either Dundonald or Western Gailes (a few posters I trust recommend both and you are an anti-Crail-ite and that means we don't agree at the start, lol) - what would you say are the positives of both courses?

It is never easy to judge a course and I really don't see the attraction in Crail myself. Played it lots of times but it does nothing for me whereas I really enjoyed Dundonald and that was when the condition of it was a bit ropey. I liked the variety of holes and it wasn't too punishing.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

Not interested in Turnberry (well, actually we are but not under its current ownership).

I always find comments like this interesting - I am playing Turnberry on my wedding day this year and very much looking forward to it. wow its expensive but just want to play the course once.

Glad you decided on Castle Stuart it is a great day out and very different to most of the courses you are playing.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Not interested in Turnberry (well, actually we are but not under its current ownership).

I always find comments like this interesting - I am playing Turnberry on my wedding day this year and very much looking forward to it. wow its expensive but just want to play the course once.

Glad you decided on Castle Stuart it is a great day out and very different to most of the courses you are playing.

By all accounts the alterations really do elevate the quality of the course, but I share the OP's sentiment. Fortunately there are lots of other options out there.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

By all accounts the alterations really do elevate the quality of the course, but I share the OP's sentiment. Fortunately there are lots of other options out there.

fair enough. Trump here in Aberdeen is still running at a loss but still busy.

Anti Trump myself but........

moving to Houston for most of the year in 2 weeks, we will have to get a game, I am retired for 6 months!

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

fair enough. Trump here in Aberdeen is still running at a loss but still busy.

moving to Houston for most of the year in 2 weeks, we will have to get a game, I am retired for 6 months!

Funnily enough - I'm moving back to California in 10 days (I can't handle the summers here). I'll have to catch you on the North Sea side of things :)

I like the idea of wedding day golf at top links course. If you're ponying up for a full foursome I hope your mates appreciate it!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Did you look at West Kilbride as an option?

It looks to occupy a pretty stretch of coastline. Next time I am in Ayr I was thinking it was a toss up between it and Dundonald - having played Prestwick and WG before.

F.T.

Funnily enough - I'm moving back to California in 10 days (I can't handle the summers here). I'll have to catch you on the North Sea side of things :)

I like the idea of wedding day golf at top links course. If you're ponying up for a full foursome I hope your mates appreciate it!

and you are in a little less humid area too!

well right now I think it is 4 guaranteed golfing so my poor dad!! think a few others may join us.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

It looks to occupy a pretty stretch of coastline. Next time I am in Ayr I was thinking it was a toss up between it and Dundonald - having played Prestwick and WG before.

Oooh! Just took the course tour and it looks really nice, good views and it looks like my wife would also enjoy it!

Edit: had to have another wee dram to watch the video tour of a few holes - doing some planning on a Sunday afternoon!

Oooh! Just took the course tour and it looks really nice, good views and it looks like my wife would also enjoy it!

Edit: had to have another wee dram to watch the video tour of a few holes - doing some planning on a Sunday afternoon!

Ya that run from 13-16 looks pretty darn cool. Might be a bit back and forthy on the more inland holes, but looks a good shout and excellent value at 60GBP for that neighbourhood.

F.T.

Ya that run from 13-16 looks pretty darn cool. Might be a bit back and forthy on the more inland holes, but looks a good shout and excellent value at 60GBP for that neighbourhood.

Price caught my eye as well, lol! And the dinner menu looks good. Not into playing 36 on vacation with other things to do, including rest, but I could see this being a good 36 day plus an evening at the club kind of outing on Friday (and if the weather sucks, just 18) - Saturday is already penciled in as reserved for Arran (I want to play Shiskine, "just because", but could also easily take the ferry on foot, tour the island via local transport, hike, etc. and just leave golf out of the equation on Saturday and even though may wife enjoys playing, a day off "together" is always a good move).

Price caught my eye as well, lol! And the dinner menu looks good. Not into playing 36 on vacation with other things to do, including rest, but I could see this being a good 36 day plus an evening at the club kind of outing on Friday (and if the weather sucks, just 18) - Saturday is already penciled in as reserved for Arran (I want to play Shiskine, "just because", but could also easily take the ferry on foot, tour the island via local transport, hike, etc. and just leave golf out of the equation on Saturday and even though may wife enjoys playing, a day off "together" is always a good move).

That's the plus side of only needing a teetime for a twosome or single, you can pretty much do whatever - apart from wanting to secure prime spots on the bigger courses.

IMHO the 'problem' with Shiskine is you'd want at least two-three goes at it, with a throwaway sighting round to start, can eat up most a of a day. But that's just me I can see the appeal of wanting to experience something like it.

F.T.

Any chance on some detail Ralphy, I'm there in September

We played it in March 2017 as part of one of the winter deals they were offering. Our tee time got pushed back 45 minutes as a member with 24 guests turned up unannounced and they fit them in before us. This meant that we had to play the last hole and a half in the dark. Staff were useless when we tried to complain after.

The winter set up was a joke as well. It was advertised as being the full course but some tees were in semi rough. I have no objection to courses protecting tees etc over the winter but be up front and honest about it.

Also the clubhouse is a portakabin and the food was like something you got in a bad works canteen. I’ve been really lucky the past few years playing some real top courses but I’ve never had an experience like Dundonald anywhere else.

Awful

I’ve never played Western Gailes before but I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. I’d choose that over Dundonald any day

Any chance on some detail Ralphy, I'm there in September

We played it in March 2017 as part of one of the winter deals they were offering. Our tee time got pushed back 45 minutes as a member with 24 guests turned up unannounced and they fit them in before us. This meant that we had to play the last hole and a half in the dark. Staff were useless when we tried to complain after.

The winter set up was a joke as well. It was advertised as being the full course but some tees were in semi rough. I have no objection to courses protecting tees etc over the winter but be up front and honest about it.

Also the clubhouse is a portakabin and the food was like something you got in a bad works canteen. I've been really lucky the past few years playing some real top courses but I've never had an experience like Dundonald anywhere else.

Awful

That sounds like a rough deal you got.

The portakabin is probably the nicest one I've ever been in and the food was fantastic the times we played.

I did really enjoy the course myself even though the condition was poor at the time.

I suppose everyone is different and as I said before, I really don't think Crail is up to much but most seem to enjoy it a lot so never easy to know for sure.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

Question for those that have flown into the Inverness airport: how long to allow for customs? I'm connecting through London, then hopping to Inverness. Any tips?

You'll pass through immigration/passport control at Heathrow/Gatwick. Could fly through, could spend some time staring at the back of the head of the person in front :)

You'll be in and out of Inverness airport as quickly as the baggage handlers can get your sticks off the plane.

F.T.