2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

AWT 2.0 reg vs PX LZ 5.0

SwooshLT

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two shaft types have several differences:

PX LZ 5.0 is a constant weight shaft, from long to short irons. At 110 grams, it has a medium launch.

AWT 2.0 is ascending weight: The long irons are lighter than the short iron shafts. Average weight for R.flex is 98 grams (ranging from about 93 to 104), while average for the S.flex is 104 grams (ranging from about 99 to 109). R.flex is medium-high launch, S.flex is medium.

I got to hit both shafts side-by-side in the i200 irons last year. I have about 88-90 MPH clubhead speed for driver. The AWT 2.0 R-flex just felt smoother overall than the PX LS 5.0. The LS 5.5 was a bit hard to handle.

Finally, two questions:

• What is the flex of your AWT shafts?
  • Why are you considering swapping out the shafts? What do you hope to accomplish?

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

PX LZ 5.0 is a constant weight shaft, from long to short irons. At 110 grams, it has a medium launch.

AWT 2.0 is ascending weight: The long irons are lighter than the short iron shafts. Average weight for R.flex is 98 grams (ranging from about 93 to 104), while average for the S.flex is 104 grams (ranging from about 99 to 109). R.flex is medium-high launch, S.flex is medium.

I got to hit both shafts side-by-side in the i200 irons last year. I have about 88-90 MPH clubhead speed for driver. The AWT 2.0 R-flex just felt smoother overall than the PX LS 5.0. The LS 5.5 was a bit hard to handle.

Finally, two questions:

• Why are you considering swapping out the shafts? What do you hope to accomplish?

Thanks, in the title, sorry listed AWT as the regular that came in iblades....hoping for a shade more consistency as every once in awhile but keeping smoothness found in awt.....some points in the round I find myself looking for that bit extra; leaning on the shaft ...

We have similar speed, did LZ launch same but spin less for you despite not feeling as good?

AWT seems tempo based and at times I can get quick that results in quick hooks....yuck!

PX LZ 5.0 is a constant weight shaft, from long to short irons. At 110 grams, it has a medium launch. ... AWT 2.0 is ascending weight ...:

... Finally, two questions:

Thanks, in the title, sorry listed AWT as the regular that came in iblades....hoping for a shade more consistency as every once in awhile but keeping smoothness found in awt.....some points in the round I find myself looking for that bit extra; leaning on the shaft ...

We have similar speed, did LZ launch same but spin less for you despite not feeling as good?

AWT seems tempo based and at times I can get quick that results in quick hooks....yuck!

A few things for you to consider:

looking for that bit extra;. If you mean you're jumping for extra yardage, remember this: iBlades are a precision club, not a distance club. With a 5 HDCP, stay in tempo and let your irons give you precision. (You obviously alread do that!) Look to driver and FW for distance gains.

LZ launch same... Good question. This was a golf expo indoor hitting station, with a small electronics monitor on the floor with about a 6" x 9" display. it gave clubhead speed and a couple of other items. That said, since the AWT launches higher, it would have good stopping power in part because of a steeper descent angle.

When I hit the old 115-gr. PX 5.0, I got OK stop on solid hits. Thin hits, however, tended to run a bit. My last shafts in the old X20 Tours were NS Pro 8950GH R.flex. A high launch, low spin shaft, I got good stop from the steep descent angle.

Part of the answer: What spin do you want? Is hit and release 2 yards OK, or do you want everything to spin back?

get quick that results in quick hooks. ... Make sure this isn't a periodic swing flaw. A couple of years ago Jordan Speith was having trouble with left misses on his driver. The Swing??? analysis system on TV showed that his hips were slow on the downswing, and was letting the arms take over and launch things hard left.

Final note on AWTs: the dead weight of the longer iron shafts are less than the shorter iron shafts. If you have trouble with left misses mainly with the longer irons, this could be a problem with less resistance from the lighter shafts. A certified clubfitter could help you with this... diagnosing this is beyond the scope of my expertise.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I've tried most of the shafts mentioned thus far and like the PX LZ and DG 105 the best but I did hit them the most. The LZ 6.0 seemed a little easier than the Modus 120s and my current S300. The AWT feels great in the 7 iron but I didn't get many swings in with it. The guy I was working with did say that the Ping shafts have the tightest tolerances he's seen and he recommends them because of it.

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

PX LZ 5.0 is a constant weight shaft, from long to short irons. At 110 grams, it has a medium launch. ... AWT 2.0 is ascending weight ...:

looking for that bit extra;. If you mean you're jumping for extra yardage, remember this: iBlades are a precision club, not a distance club. With a 5 HDCP, stay in tempo and let your irons give you precision. (You obviously alread do that!) Look to driver and FW for distance gains.

LZ launch same... Good question. This was a golf expo indoor hitting station, with a small electronics monitor on the floor with about a 6" x 9" display. it gave clubhead speed and a couple of other items. That said, since the AWT launches higher, it would have good stopping power in part because of a steeper descent angle.

When I hit the old 115-gr. PX 5.0, I got OK stop on solid hits. Thin hits, however, tended to run a bit. My last shafts in the old X20 Tours were NS Pro 8950GH R.flex. A high launch, low spin shaft, I got good stop from the steep descent angle.

Part of the answer: What spin do you want? Is hit and release 2 yards OK, or do you want everything to spin back?

get quick that results in quick hooks. ... Make sure this isn't a periodic swing flaw. A couple of years ago Jordan Speith was having trouble with left misses on his driver. The Swing??? analysis system on TV showed that his hips were slow on the downswing, and was letting the arms take over and launch things hard left.

Final note on AWTs: the dead weight of the longer iron shafts are less than the shorter iron shafts. If you have trouble with left misses mainly with the longer irons, this could be a problem with less resistance from the lighter shafts. A certified clubfitter could help you with this... diagnosing this is beyond the scope of my expertise.

Thanks Chip.....misses are with both long and short irons

Going after it....when between clubs, there are times needed to hit the shorter club....if greens aren't holding and long is dead....some people struggle hitting the longer club easy or flighted....I can but again if long is bad, I'd rather hit shorter club hard....iblades are definitely precise but still tools that should be versatile....

Tried lz 5.0 and with my "new" old body swing thoughts, the butt feels REALLY stiff!

Clubmaker has a set of dynalite gold xp which seems on paper to be a good match....R300 , 113g and maybe tighter tip than awt 2.0

Input has been great and after my past experiences with heads.....I'm sticking with iblades and will find a shaft to have them shine!

Going after it....when between clubs, there are times needed to hit the shorter club....if greens aren't holding and long is dead....some people struggle hitting the longer club easy or flighted....I can but again if long is bad, I'd rather hit shorter club hard....iblades are definitely precise but still tools that should be versatile....

Tried lz 5.0 and with my "new" old body swing thoughts, the butt feels REALLY stiff!

Clubmaker has a set of dynalite gold xp which seems on paper to be a good match....R300 , 113g and maybe tighter tip than awt 2.0

Input has been great and after my past experiences with heads.....I'm sticking with iblades and will find a shaft to have them shine!

Ok.....put dynalite gold xp r300 in 7i...

1/4" longer .....these might be the answer....10-15g heavier......haven't gotten on course or use gamer ball but with range balls I'm seeing higher flight.....intriguing

1/4" longer .....these might be the answer....10-15g heavier......haven't gotten on course or use gamer ball but with range balls I'm seeing higher flight.....intriguing

Dynalite Gold XP is a very tip soft shaft. As you mention, they are a bit heavier than the AWTs but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually feel softer.

I have a Dynalite Gold (non-XP) shaft in a wedge. It is a S300 but I think it feels as soft as Ping CFS R flex (similar weight to the AWTs).

Dynalite Gold XP is a very tip soft shaft. As you mention, they are a bit heavier than the AWTs but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually feel softer.

I have a Dynalite Gold (non-XP) shaft in a wedge. It is a S300 but I think it feels as soft as Ping CFS R flex (similar weight to the AWTs).

Thanks for input and surprisingly, even for tip soft shaft, very stable! Almost kbs tour like but higher launch....guess I found my needs

Thanks for input and surprisingly, even for tip soft shaft, very stable! Almost kbs tour like but higher launch....guess I found my needs

I used to like these shafts a lot in irons, but prefer something slightly lighter these days (and don't want the hassle of pulling out the OEM shafts, which work fine for me). Much better match for me than the Dynamic Gold, which used to come in everything.

I've thought about finding a few shafts to put in all my wedges but never got around to it.

Good luck!

I used to like these shafts a lot in irons, but prefer something slightly lighter these days (and don't want the hassle of pulling out the OEM shafts, which work fine for me). Much better match for me than the Dynamic Gold, which used to come in everything.

I've thought about finding a few shafts to put in all my wedges but never got around to it.

Good luck!

Thanks! Funny because lighter shafts have been hit or miss so to speak.....but recently 110g-ish have been my comfort zone....thought it would be the LZ or even kbs tour but the launch and feel from dynalite gold XP is heavenly.....

Will update after my 1st round