2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2019 LPGA Mediheal Championship May 02 - 05

Argonne69

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > Eun-Hee Ji is playing real well, she near the top of the leaderboard most weeks so far this season

>

> Eun-Hee has averaged ~$500,000 a year during her career. She's exceeded that in only 8 events this season. 'Definitely tracking in the right direction.

>

> When Inbee puts away the clubs for good, Eun-Hee appears well positioned to become the elder stateswoman for Korean golf. I have to remind myself at times that Inbee and Eun-Hee were both rookies in the same year.

They both won the US Open and then disappeared for a while! 10 years later seems like Ji is playing the best golf of her life.

Mediheal ads were weird last year and they are also weird this year but in a totally different way. Stooch I believe that is "BTS" who is supposedly the biggest band of all time or something. Hey man don't look at me.

I am no expert in business, but I feel that the Mediheal company might consider hiring an American outfit to produce their ads for the American market.

> @legitimategolf said:

> Mediheal ads were weird last year and they are also weird this year but in a totally different way. Stooch I believe that is "BTS" who is supposedly the biggest band of all time or something. Hey man don't look at me.

>

> I am no expert in business, but I feel that the Mediheal company might consider hiring an American outfit to produce their ads for the American market.

The commercial came on a 3rd time and I had to know so I googled it lol Yeah that boy band deal is a good racket lol

> @legitimategolf said:

> They flashed back to 2015 Lydia and the contrast is stark. Teen Lydia in glasses was a stone cold killer. That look in her eyes was scary confidence. These days by contrast she looks so tentative. Not meaning to criticize. More paying tribute to how awesome she used to be.

Yes, that was definitely a look ... like beware the killer librarian!

6j497b7bi1x5.jpg

I do like her new look though. Does still look happy-in-the-clouds a lot! It's funny they played that clip just after the talk on here about when they all debuted. I felt like someone was reading! Loved Minjee with the trophy and big smile.

Ah, the Minjee-Brooke-In Gee pairing was wonderful. One time they panned back and all three were in shot walking around the green and it was like *sigh* a dream pairing

So good to see In Gee again, she just enchants. Really excited for her round! They kept mentioning her and Inky not having bogies. I know Inky had one late, but this is the sort of thing that makes me think she handles tough courses and conditions well.

And So Yeon turned it on for her sponsor!

Yeah, the boy band is a little scary. They walk on the stage in battalion strength and yikes bewilderment follows; just doesn't translate well I guess.

Don't know where Grant got his information, but Brooke is 6th in total driving.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Stooch said:

> I think Grant said last year

Ah. OK, that's make sense. 1st or 6th, she's a h*ll of a player off the tee.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > I think Grant said last year

>

> Ah. OK, that's make sense. 1st or 6th, she's a h*ll of a player off the tee.

>

I still wouldn't mind hearing she went a paid a visit to Brad Faxon or someone of the sort but yeah if I ever hear she's looking for a full blown swing coach I'll lose it lol

Oy. I really have to stop making predictions. Minjee and Lydia both struggled today, and have their work cut out just to make the cut. Lydia managed only 8 fairways, and 194 yards off the tee. Of course they only use two holes to calculate the average, and she obviously clipped a tree or hooked the snot out of one of her shots. 'Still, short and crooked is no good on this course with thick rough and firm greens. Minjee only managed 6 fairways, but had an average of 266.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Lydia is a lovable nut. +3 or -6, she always seems to be having a good time out there. 'Do miss the Librarian, though.

Always nice to see In Gee playing well. She's got a great game for tough courses. An average of 237 off the tee is still suspect, though.

The scores in the afternoon looked a lot higher. Winds and bumpy greens I assume. It seems like a lot of players were struggling reading the breaks. 'Lots of short putts missed that would normally fall.

Anne's swing is something, isn't it? She powers through the ball without making it look like she's swinging hard.

> @Stooch said:

> In Gee had a nice opening round yesterday now she's gotta put the same things together to do it for the next 3 rounds. Also reports of the demise of In Gee's driving abilities have been greatly exaggerated, she out-drove Brooke on a hole yesterday. ;)

In Gee's accuracy this season is the lowest it's been in her four seasons on tour. It's not horrible, but like her driving distance, it's trending in the wrong direction. 'Definitely affecting her GIRs, which are also the lowest in four seasons.

That said, I still believe it's her putter that lets her down. Sung Hyun is currently the birdie leader averaging 4.68 birdies per round. The top players all average 4 or more per round. In Gee manages 3.43. She generally doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but one needs to make birdies to win out there. In her first two seasons on tour, she averged over 4 per round.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > In Gee had a nice opening round yesterday now she's gotta put the same things together to do it for the next 3 rounds. Also reports of the demise of In Gee's driving abilities have been greatly exaggerated, she out-drove Brooke on a hole yesterday. ;)

>

> In Gee's accuracy this season is the lowest it's been in her four seasons on tour. It's not horrible, but like her driving distance, it's trending in the wrong direction. 'Definitely affecting her GIRs, which are also the lowest in four seasons.

>

> That said, I still believe it's her putter that lets her down. Sung Hyun is currently the birdie leader averaging 4.68 birdies per round. The top players all average 4 or more per round. In Gee manages 3.43. She generally doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but one needs to make birdies to win out there. In her first two seasons on tour, she averged over 4 per round.

Maybe In Gee's dip in form is a direct result of the "Samson" effect and having sheared some of her locks???? On a more serious note, good to see her having a good start to this tournament!!

> @"Golf Dino" said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @Stooch said:

> > > In Gee had a nice opening round yesterday now she's gotta put the same things together to do it for the next 3 rounds. Also reports of the demise of In Gee's driving abilities have been greatly exaggerated, she out-drove Brooke on a hole yesterday. ;)

> >

> > In Gee's accuracy this season is the lowest it's been in her four seasons on tour. It's not horrible, but like her driving distance, it's trending in the wrong direction. 'Definitely affecting her GIRs, which are also the lowest in four seasons.

> >

> > That said, I still believe it's her putter that lets her down. Sung Hyun is currently the birdie leader averaging 4.68 birdies per round. The top players all average 4 or more per round. In Gee manages 3.43. She generally doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but one needs to make birdies to win out there. In her first two seasons on tour, she averged over 4 per round.

>

> Maybe In Gee's dip in form is a direct result of the "Samson" effect and having sheared some of her locks???? On a more serious note, good to see her having a good start to this tournament!!

I remember reading it was/is actually a variation of the "Samson effect" as you say. She alluded that when she cut her hair a lot of her Korea-based fans really tore into her appearance and form (a lot of 2nd place in 2017 but no wins; I guess that was not good enough), so much that it may have really affected her. So I wonder too if she really felt a lot of added pressure to win, which explains her tearing up after winning the KEB Hana Bank last year. I think that was a huge relief for her personally. I don't think she has the personality like Brooke has, where she buckles down and gets in the killer mindset. She's too nice, which is a great attribute, but I think she has an approach that is "make good, safe shots and rely on precision" as opposed to "going for it" or being aggressive. I hope her recent emphasis on physical fitness - not that she needed it before - brings out a fierce mentality, it would be great to see.

That's just my perception, if anyone has other input or theories I'm all ears. I could write a book about In Gee with her ups and downs. Fascinating story, interesting person, and a hell of a player. As I write this she is birdie, par, bogey for even after 3 in R2 (edit - birdie, par, bogey, bogey for +1 dang it!!). I pray she gets back on the winning, or at least top 5 finishes like in 17, she's my favorite player in a pool of many I love watching.

Gotta love back to back tournaments at Wilshire and Lake Merced. Both courses play very tough, but for different reasons.

So far this season, every tournament with a cut has had the cut at par or above par. Heck, even the Founders had a cut at even par. While weather has been a bit of a factor, I don't think it's the full story. I don't recall a season that's been this tough for scoring. While the number of top players averaging below 70 is the highest it has ever been, the median is the highest it's been since '16.

In Gee's game was never really about overpowering the course. She is a precision player who hit a lot of fairways and greens, and made few mistakes. When her putter got hot she would contend, but too many times it was balky. A number of her 2nd's and 3rd's was due to the other players simply making more birdies. I think Jin Young's game is basically that as well. The biggest factor this season has been the drop off in driving distance. Hopefully adding strength won't alter her swing.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > In Gee had a nice opening round yesterday now she's gotta put the same things together to do it for the next 3 rounds. Also reports of the demise of In Gee's driving abilities have been greatly exaggerated, she out-drove Brooke on a hole yesterday. ;)

>

>

> That said, I still believe it's her putter that lets her down. Sung Hyun is currently the birdie leader averaging 4.68 birdies per round. The top players all average 4 or more per round. In Gee manages 3.43. She generally doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but one needs to make birdies to win out there. In her first two seasons on tour, she averged over 4 per round.

Most problems can be cured by good putting; In Gee used to do that and she did it again on back nine yesterday.

In Gee needs superior putting to compete; she needs to be in Top 3 for putts per GIR and total putts.

She hit 4 out of 4 fairways and 4 out 5 greens today but is +1 ; she missed green and bogeyed #12 then 3 putted #13. She doesn't make enough birdies to compensate for her mistakes.

By the way it's nice to see In Gee on TV yesterday; her presence is second to none.

> @18majors said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @Stooch said:

> > > In Gee had a nice opening round yesterday now she's gotta put the same things together to do it for the next 3 rounds. Also reports of the demise of In Gee's driving abilities have been greatly exaggerated, she out-drove Brooke on a hole yesterday. ;)

> >

> >

> > That said, I still believe it's her putter that lets her down. Sung Hyun is currently the birdie leader averaging 4.68 birdies per round. The top players all average 4 or more per round. In Gee manages 3.43. She generally doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but one needs to make birdies to win out there. In her first two seasons on tour, she averged over 4 per round.

>

> Most problems can be cured by good putting; In Gee used to do that and she did it again on back nine yesterday.

> In Gee needs superior putting to compete; she needs to be in Top 3 for putts per GIR and total putts.

> She hit 4 out of 4 fairways and 4 out 5 greens today but is +1 ; she missed green and bogeyed #12 then 3 putted #13. She doesn't make enough birdies to compensate for her mistakes.

> By the way it's nice to see In Gee on TV yesterday; her presence is second to none.

>

>

I can't help but laugh and think of the Seinfeld episode where Mr. Pitt hires Elaine because she has "grace" and reminded him of Jackie Onassis. In Gee is pure grace, I think that is part of her draw for many. And I mean that in a respectful, un-creepy way, lol.