2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2019 LPGA Mediheal Championship May 02 - 05

Argonne69

> @legitimategolf said:

> Mediheal ads were weird last year and they are also weird this year but in a totally different way. Stooch I believe that is "BTS" who is supposedly the biggest band of all time or something. Hey man don't look at me.

>

> I am no expert in business, but I feel that the Mediheal company might consider hiring an American outfit to produce their ads for the American market.

MEDIHEAL will probably leave their ads as is. Korean culture is really trendy right now among teens/tweens, Gen Ys in the US. So any perceived weirdness would probably be perceived as innovative or "cool." As resistant as fans of the LPGA have been, I wish the LPGA would somehow find a way to capitalize on the Korean trend right now. I know the typical LPGA fan isn't going to go buy mediheal products because of that commercial and could care less about BTS but it isn't strange to turn on the radio and hear a BTS song sung mostly in Korean. Of course PSY had that with Gangnam Style a few years ago and a couple of songs subsequently. In the last 6-9 months Korean musical acts have sold out pretty big venues in the DFW area. Korean skin care products are all the rage and you can find them even in places like Wal-Mart or more mainstream specialized stores like Ulta and Sephora. Korean language classes have popped up everywhere as well as Korean cooking classes. It says a lot about the younger generation that they can't understand most of what is probably sung in a BTS song and don't really care. Of course, I will admit the Gen Yers have seem really creepy startling aspects about them as a generation. In BTS, only one of the members speaks fluent English and their American fans don't care. It's interesting because it's a complete contrast of the narrative you often hear with the LPGA. It seems only the old-school LPGA fans are resistant to Korean culture and influence when in fact they had a head-start on a big trend right now. Of course, international cultures come and go as trends. I remember in the mid 90s when I was around 9 and 10 it was all about the "next" British invasion with acts like the Spice Girls and Oasis. Later in the 90s it was all India with Jewelry and clothes, then Morocco made an appearance, then Brazil for a little bit.

In a lot of ways I feel the LPGA's Drive On campaign is timely, daring and innovative but I don't think it's going to strengthen the base or bring back those that might have fled, in fact it might have the opposite effect.

> @fredogolfer said:

> > @legitimategolf said:

> > Mediheal ads were weird last year and they are also weird this year but in a totally different way. Stooch I believe that is "BTS" who is supposedly the biggest band of all time or something. Hey man don't look at me.

> >

> > I am no expert in business, but I feel that the Mediheal company might consider hiring an American outfit to produce their ads for the American market.

>

> MEDIHEAL will probably leave their ads as is. Korean culture is really trendy right now among teens/tweens, Gen Ys in the US. So any perceived weirdness would probably be perceived as innovative or "cool." As resistant as fans of the LPGA have been, I wish the LPGA would somehow find a way to capitalize on the Korean trend right now. I know the typical LPGA fan isn't going to go buy mediheal products because of that commercial and could care less about BTS but it isn't strange to turn on the radio and hear a BTS song sung mostly in Korean. Of course PSY had that with Gangnam Style a few years ago and a couple of songs subsequently. In the last 6-9 months Korean musical acts have sold out pretty big venues in the DFW area. Korean skin care products are all the rage and you can find them even in places like Wal-Mart or more mainstream specialized stores like Ulta and Sephora. Korean language classes have popped up everywhere as well as Korean cooking classes. It says a lot about the younger generation that they can't understand most of what is probably sung in a BTS song and don't really care. Of course, I will admit the Gen Yers have seem really creepy startling aspects about them as a generation. In BTS, only one of the members speaks fluent English and their American fans don't care. It's interesting because it's a complete contrast of the narrative you often hear with the LPGA. It seems only the old-school LPGA fans are resistant to Korean culture and influence when in fact they had a head-start on a big trend right now. Of course, international cultures come and go as trends. I remember in the mid 90s when I was around 9 and 10 it was all about the "next" British invasion with acts like the Spice Girls and Oasis. Later in the 90s it was all India with Jewelry and clothes, then Morocco made an appearance, then Brazil for a little bit.

>

> In a lot of ways I feel the LPGA's Drive On campaign is timely, daring and innovative but I don't think it's going to strengthen the base or bring back those that might have fled, in fact it might have the opposite effect.

I think we need Korean and Japanese (and now Chinese, Thai) bi-lingual interviewers to do specials on all the stars from overseas. Huge potential there.

But then again, I am a Gen X-er who mainly listens to J-Metal...

> @"North Texas" said:

> Okay, focus people. The great Shanshan Feng just fired a 5 under 67 and is only one off the lead at -4.

Out of seemingly nowhere, that is pretty cool to see. Also I have to amend that maybe In Gee does have a killer instinct now; after going 4 bogeys on her front nine, birdies 4 with no bogeys on her back nine. May not be enough, but one can hope.

> @WestTex said:

> But then again, I am a Gen X-er who mainly listens to J-Metal...

Like Babymetal? Kind of a mashup of J-Metal and K-pop

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

What a difference a day makes. 'Nice play by Minjee and Lydia to make the cut. Anne follows up her 5 under round with a +5 round to finish at even par. 'Only one birdie on the day with 35 putts, seven more than yesterday.

In Gee was tearing things up for 10 holes, playing them at four under, before she bogied four of her next six holes. She birdied the 18th to finish the round at one under, but oh what could have been.

Shanshan and Yu shot -5, and Bronte was -4, so birdies are out there. The bogies aren't too far behind, though.

Anybody want to buy a slightly used putter? I'm sure Brooke will sell it, or simply give it away. Four bogies and no birdies. How is that even possible? Ooh, 39 putts, that's how. I don't imagine we'll see a "highlight" reel.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Stooch, Brooke deserves a weekend off to rekindle her fire the next two off weeks.

Brooke brought charm to In Gee; she's interviewed after her round which's a rarity nowadays!

By the way; In Gee's English is like day and night compared to 1-2 years ago.

[https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1124444068820307968](https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1124444068820307968 "https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1124444068820307968")

> @Argonne69 said:

> What a difference a day makes. 'Nice play by Minjee and Lydia to make the cut. Anne follows up her 5 under round with a +5 round to finish at even par. 'Only one birdie on the day with 35 putts, seven more than yesterday.

>

> In Gee was tearing things up for 10 holes, playing them at four under, before she bogied four of her next six holes. She birdied the 18th to finish the round at one under, but oh what could have been.

>

> Shanshan and Yu shot -5, and Bronte was -4, so birdies are out there. The bogies aren't too far behind, though.

>

> Anybody want to buy a slightly used putter? I'm sure Brooke will sell it, or simply give it away. Four bogies and no birdies. How is that even possible? Ooh, 39 putts, that's how. I don't imagine we'll see a "highlight" reel.

>

In Gee started off on the back, so her front nine was a wreck, but then she lit a fire and got back on track. Splitting hairs a little, but to me it speaks more about someone's mental fortitude if they right a sinking ship vs. letting the wheels come off a round.

> @nostatic said:

> > @WestTex said:

> > But then again, I am a Gen X-er who mainly listens to J-Metal...

>

> Like Babymetal? Kind of a mashup of J-Metal and K-pop

>

>

Babymetal is on my playlist, yes. lol Along with Aldious, Mary's Blood, Destrose, Band-Maid...I'll stop now. Back on track, good to see Minjee and Lyds Ko make the cut, they gave us such a great playoff last year!

> @WestTex said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > What a difference a day makes. 'Nice play by Minjee and Lydia to make the cut. Anne follows up her 5 under round with a +5 round to finish at even par. 'Only one birdie on the day with 35 putts, seven more than yesterday.

> >

> > In Gee was tearing things up for 10 holes, playing them at four under, before she bogied four of her next six holes. She birdied the 18th to finish the round at one under, but oh what could have been.

> >

> > Shanshan and Yu shot -5, and Bronte was -4, so birdies are out there. The bogies aren't too far behind, though.

> >

> > Anybody want to buy a slightly used putter? I'm sure Brooke will sell it, or simply give it away. Four bogies and no birdies. How is that even possible? Ooh, 39 putts, that's how. I don't imagine we'll see a "highlight" reel.

> >

>

> In Gee started off on the back, so her front nine was a wreck, but then she lit a fire and got back on track. Splitting hairs a little, but to me it speaks more about someone's mental fortitude if they right a sinking ship vs. letting the wheels come off a round.

'Great point. Yeah, I missed that important detail. 'So glad she righted the ship. It should serve her well for the weekend. Unless Eun Hee and/or So Yeon shoot lights out this afternoon, In Gee is still in it.

Edit: Minor nit, but I do wish the LPGA would make a small change to the leaderboard to indicate when a player starts on #10 after the round is complete. While the round is underway, there is an asterisk next to the "thru" hole number to indicate that the round was started on #10. When the round is complete, the hole is replaced with an 'F'. How about an 'F*'?

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @18majors said:

> Stooch, Brooke deserves a weekend off to rekindle her fire the next two off weeks.

> Brooke brought charm to In Gee; she's interviewed after her round which's a rarity nowadays!

>

> [https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1124404524892819457](https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1124404524892819457 "https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1124404524892819457")

Yeah get a few extra days for the break, I would like too see In Gee win this one and I'll be cheering for her on the weekend.

> @WestTex said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > What a difference a day makes. 'Nice play by Minjee and Lydia to make the cut. Anne follows up her 5 under round with a +5 round to finish at even par. 'Only one birdie on the day with 35 putts, seven more than yesterday.

> >

> > In Gee was tearing things up for 10 holes, playing them at four under, before she bogied four of her next six holes. She birdied the 18th to finish the round at one under, but oh what could have been.

> >

> > Shanshan and Yu shot -5, and Bronte was -4, so birdies are out there. The bogies aren't too far behind, though.

> >

> > Anybody want to buy a slightly used putter? I'm sure Brooke will sell it, or simply give it away. Four bogies and no birdies. How is that even possible? Ooh, 39 putts, that's how. I don't imagine we'll see a "highlight" reel.

> >

>

> In Gee started off on the back, so her front nine was a wreck, but then she lit a fire and got back on track. Splitting hairs a little, but to me it speaks more about someone's mental fortitude if they right a sinking ship vs. letting the wheels come off a round.

To quote Vince Lombardi, "it's not whether you get knocked down, but whether you get back up."

(also seen it attributed to Gen. George Custer - which adds an odd irony)

Never ceases to amaze me how some players can shake off a bad shot/hole and other just sink into the abyss.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

Gawd, Azahara is slow. 1:30+ to hit her approach on the 9th, and 1:10+ to putt from off the back of the green, and another 1:10 to hit her next putt from 5 ft.

• Like 1

Gerina looking good to cash a check for the first time since,well I can't even remember. Baby needs shoes.

Alison,the pink panther,Melvin and Muni will have to settle for sponsors dollars to buy shoes this week. It would have been bad/embarrassing had Anne Van Dam missed the cut although I would imagine something like that has happened before.

Gee, what a surprise. Aza's group gets put on the clock.

Sei Young is having a nice round. Ditto for NYC. Long time coming.

Over a minute for Aza to hit her tee shot on 17. FFS.

> @Enduro59 said:

> Gerina looking good to cash a check for the first time since,well I can't even remember. Baby needs shoes.

> Alison,the pink panther,Melvin and Muni will have to settle for sponsors dollars to buy shoes this week. It would have been bad/embarrassing had Anne Van Dam missed the cut although I would imagine something like that has happened before.

Either her or Martin had to, he shot + 10 to miss the cut and fiish pretty close to the bottom of the leaderboard in Charlotte this week.

Will be interesting to see if So Yeon's game holds up over the weekend. She's obviously a proven winner, but something has been off so far this year. She's also struggled in the third round the last two weeks; +3 in LA and +1 at the Lotte (probably comparably as bad). Can't give away much tomorrow if she wants a realistic chance to win on Sunday.

I will also cheer for NYC, but I don't expect much. She seems to be driving it OK through 2 rounds, but this club has been pretty erratic in recent times. These two players were my favorites up through 2015 (and Ryu still is).

Of the 14 players at T9 or better, 8 are Korean...

> @morganmonroe said:

> > @fredogolfer said:

> > > @legitimategolf said:

> > > Mediheal ads were weird last year and they are also weird this year but in a totally different way. Stooch

> The trophy creeps me out:

> trg3dj09gdef.jpg

>

>

I agree, it reminds me a little of an acting trophy with the drama/comedy faces. The Mediheal packaging also creeps me out where they have an IV hooked to the face lol.