2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2019 LPGA Mediheal Championship May 02 - 05

Argonne69

agolf1

Minjee blew it; she came back admirably from her +4 first round but the win was there for her taking today.

Sei Young Kim has 8 wins since 2015 and Minjee 5; neither has won any majors. I'd argue Sei Young is a better player even though her world ranking is much lower than Minjee.

World ranking is transitory; wins are forever.

• Like 1

> @18majors said:

> agolf1

>

> Minjee blew it; she came back admirably from her +4 first round but the win was there for her taking today.

> Sei Young Kim has 8 wins since 2015 and Minjee 5; neither has won any majors. I'd argue Sei Young is a better player even though her world ranking is much lower than Minjee.

> World ranking is transitory; wins are forever.

I didn't see any of the action today. Only a few glances at the leaderboard online.

Agree on the wins vs ranking. Like I mentioned elsewhere, I think Brooke is 10x better than some of the people that were ranked ahead of her and some of the recent #1s didn't seem any better than the other top players.

I think Minjee's game is better day to day but she can't be trusted in tight situations. If I had to bet, I would take Minjee (wins, majors) for 2019-2021, but I may be biased.

I lost interest in this tournament after So Yeon's 79. As a fan, I had little confidence in her pulling it off though. Never imagined that high of a score but her game isn't there for four rounds this year. I guess we will see if she's putting things together or if her best days are behind her...

Two years for this tournament, and two nail biters. Sei Young had to dig deep for this one. Gutsy performance. She never quit.

Great rounds by Bronte and Lucky 6. Tough loses, but they'll certainly learn from the experience. Bronte was at a disadvantage having sat for some time. Lucky 6's putt was a dead pull. Nerves.

Minjee isn't going to win them all, but she keeps herself in the conversation often enough these days that she's going to snag a few. Sei Young is much streakier.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @agolf1 said:

> > @18majors said:

> > agolf1

> >

> > Minjee blew it; she came back admirably from her +4 first round but the win was there for her taking today.

> > Sei Young Kim has 8 wins since 2015 and Minjee 5; neither has won any majors. I'd argue Sei Young is a better player even though her world ranking is much lower than Minjee.

> > World ranking is transitory; wins are forever.

> I didn't see any of the action today. Only a few glances at the leaderboard online.

>

> Agree on the wins vs ranking. Like I mentioned elsewhere, I think Brooke is 10x better than some of the people that were ranked ahead of her and some of the recent #1s didn't seem any better than the other top players.

>

> I think Minjee's game is better day to day but she can't be trusted in tight situations. If I had to bet, I would take Minjee (wins, majors) for 2019-2021, but I may be biased.

>

> I lost interest in this tournament after So Yeon's 79. As a fan, I had little confidence in her pulling it off though. Never imagined that high of a score but her game isn't there for four rounds this year. I guess we will see if she's putting things together or if her best days are behind her...

>

>

Is she getting married or something maybe? I saw a ring on a finger not that long ago when she was playing. Wonder if there is some stuff there affecting her?

Koreans are obsessed with Louise Suggs Rookie of the Year award; especially when one of their most popular players Lucky 6 is involved.

Kristen Gillman should do everything she can to stay close with Lucky 6; the reward may be a fat sponsor contract from a giant Korean chaebol.

[https://sports.v.daum.net/v/20190506155936170](https://sports.v.daum.net/v/20190506155936170 "https://sports.v.daum.net/v/20190506155936170")

> @Bluefan75 said:

> Is she getting married or something maybe? I saw a ring on a finger not that long ago when she was playing. Wonder if there is some stuff there affecting her?

There is some discussion on this in a few other threads to check out if you are interested. But I think the short answer is nobody knows for sure. The only thing we have from her is she's made some vague comments about better golf-life balance. It was also reported at the ANA that she wants to play in Korea a bit more after the Int'l Crown last year.

It's also true that despite winning once last year and being in contention at the KPMG Women's PGA (and an outside shot at the Women's British Open), her driving accuracy and GIR stats started to slide. Then, for whatever reason, they've nosedived this year (along with Jordan Spieth's stats on the PGA Tour - these two share a common instructor).

As a fan, I hope she can have a decent 2019 and 2020. Would really like to see her play for Korea in the 2020 Olympics, which given the talent that country has is not a given (she missed it in 2016). It would also be great if she can grab another major; both to make up for the 7-iron into the water on the 71st hole last year and to put an end to any * around the 2017 ANA (major) win.

But she also turns 29 this year. The Golf Digest interview late last year indicated she had a lot she wanted to accomplish. But people change and given a) any decreased focus on golf on her part and b) the youth's talent/distance, it wouldn't be shocking if this is the beginning of the end.

SYK's pace of play makes her almost unwatchable. I know there is alot of slow play on the LPGA but I find her to be brutal to try and watch. Every time I hear the caddy say "Wait until you see the shot" I want to whack him with a golf club over the head.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Lucky 6 saved the broadcast for me. We didn't get to see much of Bronte`s round live and Sei Young(and just about everyone else) was struggling. Great tournament for 6ix after travelling to play in the KLPGA major last week.

Had Bronte won it would have been interesting to see how she and her friends would have celebrated. Especially with two weeks off.

Congrats to Sei Young!

Six seems to be making a habit of sneaking up the leaderboard. Like a lot of rookies playing the courses for the first time, she's slow out of the gate. However, she learns quickly. Her final round scoring average is 3.4 shots lower than her first round average. That's huge.

'Nice to see Lexi have another decent Sunday, chalking up her second Top 4 in three starts. Her early season was forgettable.

This was the first top 10 of the year for Charley. Like Lexi, she's been struggling this season. In eight events where she's made the cut this year, she's shot under par in the final round only three times.

Alex also had her first top 10 of the year. After a great 2018, she's had a mediocre season so far.

Kristen keeps plugging away. I don't think she can catch Six for Rookie of the Year honors, but her play has been solid.

Lol. The real Inbee showed up yesterday. Who was that impostor on Saturday? 69-80-69?

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @Argonne69 said:

>

>

>

>

> Kristen keeps plugging away. I don't think she can catch Six for Rookie of the Year honors, but her play has been solid.

>

>

Kristen is a win behind Six; which isn't bad after eleven events; one third of the season.

Players earn double points in majors and Kristen is a big time player; her best finish this season was at ANA Inspiration.

Kristen's biggest uncertainty is she's yet to qualify for USWO; my confidence would increase exponentially if she does.

Kristen is No. 33 on official money, No. 5 among Americans. She's carried her head high and proudly represents American college graduates. Jennifer Kupcho will do the same when she plays USWO as a LPGA member in three weeks.

> @18majors said:

> > @PZero said:

> > The first time I saw Lee6 on the leaderboard I thought it was a typo. Whats up with that?

>

> She's the sixth player to have their names translated into Jeong Eun Lee at Korean LPGA, and therefore the 6.

Thanks for answering this question. I've wondered the same, and read this thread from page one in the hopes somebody addressed it.

Great finish to the tournament. When it went to a playoff, I had no doubt Sei Young would win. Judging by their putts, it appears Jeongeun and Bronte felt the same. Ariya to repeat at Pure Silk!

> @"Birdie Mac" said:

> > @18majors said:

> > > @PZero said:

> > > The first time I saw Lee6 on the leaderboard I thought it was a typo. Whats up with that?

> >

> > She's the sixth player to have their names translated into Jeong Eun Lee at Korean LPGA, and therefore the 6.

> Thanks for answering this question. I've wondered the same, and read this thread from page one in the hopes somebody addressed it.

>

> Great finish to the tournament. When it went to a playoff, I had no doubt Sei Young would win. Judging by their putts, it appears Jeongeun and Bronte felt the same. Ariya to repeat at Pure Silk!

>

The little known fact is that official Korean name is Chinese; where all six players have different characters. But it became the same when translated into spelling Korean as 이정은.

Their English spelling is therefore all the same as Lee Jeong Eun.

Sei Young now has 8 wins on the LPGA since her rookie season of 2015. That puts her ahead of IK, and only behind Inbee and NYC for wins on the LPGA by active Korea players. I was a little surprised. She doesn't get the media attention of many of their other players, but keeps on rolling.

> @18majors said:

> > @"Birdie Mac" said:

> > > @18majors said:

> > > > @PZero said:

> > > > The first time I saw Lee6 on the leaderboard I thought it was a typo. Whats up with that?

> > >

> > > She's the sixth player to have their names translated into Jeong Eun Lee at Korean LPGA, and therefore the 6.

> > Thanks for answering this question. I've wondered the same, and read this thread from page one in the hopes somebody addressed it.

> >

> > Great finish to the tournament. When it went to a playoff, I had no doubt Sei Young would win. Judging by their putts, it appears Jeongeun and Bronte felt the same. Ariya to repeat at Pure Silk!

> >

>

> The little known fact is that official Korean name is Chinese; where all six players have different characters. But it became the same when translated into spelling Korean as 이정은.

> Their English spelling is therefore all the same as Lee Jeong Eun.

Interesting. When I saw it, I assumed it was an Anglicized version of a Korean name, or possible a nom de guerre. Thanks for the info. Lucky 6 indeed!

> @Argonne69 said:

> Sei Young now has 8 wins on the LPGA since her rookie season of 2015. That puts her ahead of IK, and only behind Inbee and NYC for wins on the LPGA by active Korea players. I was a little surprised. She doesn't get the media attention of many of their other players, but keeps on rolling.

>

Sei Young Kim, like Jin Young Ko, has never won KLPGA money title. Her best year was 2013 when she finished second; she's No. 10 in 2014, her last year with KLPGA.

Hyo Joo Kim and In Gee Chun were more successful than Sei Young Kim and Jin Young Ko at KLPGA; but the reverse is true in LPGA. Somebody should do research and publish a report.

As a result, Sei Young Kim has never been the most heralded star in Korea; and some of that carried over to the States.

The perception of Sei Young may change here if she wins USWO next month; but like Eun Hee Ji, nothing will change in Korea.

> @Argonne69 said:

> Sei Young now has 8 wins on the LPGA since her rookie season of 2015. That puts her ahead of IK, and only behind Inbee and NYC for wins on the LPGA by active Korea players. ** I was a little surprised. She doesn't get the media attention of many of their other players, but keeps on rolling.**

>

The thing IMO that will get Sei Young in the next level of conversation is the same as Minjee, they need to win a Major. In my power ranking of Korean players though, Sei Young is only ranked behind Jin Young and SHP and she's right on SHP heels due to SHP consistency (FYI Amy Yang is right there too). But now she is tied with Brooke as the player with the 2nd most wins since 2015, Ariya being first. I do consider Sei Young one of a few players on tour that if they bring their "A" game, there's probably not much you can do.

very impressive win by SYK and reminded me a lot of Ariya's USOpen wherein she struggled but eventually still won..

well deserved win!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

I turned on the coverage and looked SYK's score and thought, "What the heck happened?" I plopped myself down and watched the rest. Entertaining for sure. I'm glad she won. It's been a while.

• Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I still can't get over SYK on 18...the playoff drive 1' from her previous drive, then her 2nd shot not more than 3' from the previous.

Just amazing ball striking

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

> @Stooch said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > Sei Young now has 8 wins on the LPGA since her rookie season of 2015. That puts her ahead of IK, and only behind Inbee and NYC for wins on the LPGA by active Korea players. ** I was a little surprised. She doesn't get the media attention of many of their other players, but keeps on rolling.**

> >

> The thing IMO that will get Sei Young in the next level of conversation is the same as Minjee, they need to win a Major. In my power ranking of Korean players though, Sei Young is only ranked behind Jin Young and SHP and she's right on SHP heels due to SHP consistency (FYI Amy Yang is right there too). But now she is tied with Brooke as the player with the 2nd most wins since 2015, Ariya being first. I do consider Sei Young one of a few players on tour that if they bring their "A" game, there's probably not much you can do.

Any predictions for the 2020 Korean Olympic Team? There is a year plus to go, but right now it would be

Jin Young Ko

SHP

Inbee

Sei Young Kim

I have a feeling Inbee won't play even if she happens to retain a spot. Next are Ryu, Amy Yang, Eun-Hee Ji, and Lucky6 - all relatively close in the rankings (within a point of Sei Young Kim and within 0.61 points of each other). I believe the first two are near locks, and after that it's really a battle. It seems like someone (even those not listed) just needs to get hot for 2-3 months in the coming year. It is interesting if you look at the 2019 Money List or Race to CME Globe - the story is quite different.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > Sei Young now has 8 wins on the LPGA since her rookie season of 2015. That puts her ahead of IK, and only behind Inbee and NYC for wins on the LPGA by active Korea players. ** I was a little surprised. She doesn't get the media attention of many of their other players, but keeps on rolling.**

> > >

> > The thing IMO that will get Sei Young in the next level of conversation is the same as Minjee, they need to win a Major. In my power ranking of Korean players though, Sei Young is only ranked behind Jin Young and SHP and she's right on SHP heels due to SHP consistency (FYI Amy Yang is right there too). But now she is tied with Brooke as the player with the 2nd most wins since 2015, Ariya being first. I do consider Sei Young one of a few players on tour that if they bring their "A" game, there's probably not much you can do.

>

> Any predictions for the 2020 Korean Olympic Team? There is a year plus to go, but right now it would be

> Jin Young Ko

> SHP

> Inbee

> Sei Young Kim

>

> I have a feeling Inbee won't play even if she happens to retain a spot. Next are Ryu, Amy Yang, Eun-Hee Ji, and Lucky6 - all relatively close in the rankings (within a point of Sei Young Kim and within 0.61 points of each other). I believe the first two are near locks, and after that it's really a battle. It seems like someone (even those not listed) just needs to get hot for 2-3 months in the coming year. It is interesting if you look at the 2019 Money List or Race to CME Globe - the story is quite different.

July 8, 2018 - June 29, 2020 is the Olympics qualifying period. Seventy percent ranking points earned between July 8, 2018 to June 30, 2019 will expire by June 29, 2020.

For example, Jin Young Ko earned 326.54 between July 8, 2018 and now; roughly 98.0 points will stay by June 29, 2020. She needs to earn, roughly, another 300 points between now and June 29, 2020 to ensure she qualifies.

Basically. players who play the best between now and June 29, 2020 will qualify; top players need to stay in top form.

> @18majors said:

> July 8, 2018 - June 29, 2020 is the Olympics qualifying period. Seventy percent ranking points earned between July 8, 2018 to June 30, 2019 will expire by June 29, 2020.

> For example, Jin Young Ko earned 326.54 between July 8, 2018 and now; roughly 98.0 points will stay by June 29, 2020. She needs to earn, roughly, another 300 points between now and June 29, 2020 to ensure she qualifies.

> Basically. players who play the best between now and June 29, 2020 will qualify; top players need to stay in top form.

Thanks. I knew there was a strong roll-off but didn't have the specifics. I think the top 2 will still play their way on the rest of the way (SHP is streaky but a couple of wins would go a long way). Of course, opinion is influenced by recent history but these two seem a cut above the others.

I haven't followed her much, but I like Lucky6's chances. Seems like someone that is more on the up than many of the others. The others are proven players with ups and downs and it's just a question of whether the up period comes at the right time.

I have noticed that Lucky6 seems to have one crappy round per tournament. Argonne's comment on learning the courses may make sense in this context. In which case, she'll only do better next year.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > Sei Young now has 8 wins on the LPGA since her rookie season of 2015. That puts her ahead of IK, and only behind Inbee and NYC for wins on the LPGA by active Korea players. ** I was a little surprised. She doesn't get the media attention of many of their other players, but keeps on rolling.**

> > >

> > The thing IMO that will get Sei Young in the next level of conversation is the same as Minjee, they need to win a Major. In my power ranking of Korean players though, Sei Young is only ranked behind Jin Young and SHP and she's right on SHP heels due to SHP consistency (FYI Amy Yang is right there too). But now she is tied with Brooke as the player with the 2nd most wins since 2015, Ariya being first. I do consider Sei Young one of a few players on tour that if they bring their "A" game, there's probably not much you can do.

>

> Any predictions for the 2020 Korean Olympic Team? There is a year plus to go, but right now it would be

> Jin Young Ko

> SHP

> Inbee

> Sei Young Kim

>

> I have a feeling Inbee won't play even if she happens to retain a spot. Next are Ryu, Amy Yang, Eun-Hee Ji, and Lucky6 - all relatively close in the rankings (within a point of Sei Young Kim and within 0.61 points of each other). I believe the first two are near locks, and after that it's really a battle. It seems like someone (even those not listed) just needs to get hot for 2-3 months in the coming year. It is interesting if you look at the 2019 Money List or Race to CME Globe - the story is quite different.

I think you're right about Jin Young and SHP, they will most likely be safe and continue their strong play. It will be a battle though for the other spots. What will go a long way between now and then is winning majors. Jin Young got 100 points for the ANA, Sei Young got 56 points for her win and Eun-Hee Ji got 28 for her win. Winning a major is like winning 2 tournaments and in some case more. Here what Team Korea looks like from the data I put together in the odds and end thread.

**2019 Rankings Points**

Jin Young Ko 161.85 Pts 20.23 Avg Pts 8 events

Sung Hyun Park 110.1 Pts 15.73 Avg Pts 7 events

Eun-Hee Ji 111.24 Pts 12.36 Avg Pts 9 events

Sei Young Kim 111.19 Pts 12.35 Avg Pts 9 events

Amy Yang 101.64 Pts 11.29 Avg Pts 9 events

JeonJuen Lee 78.51 Pts 9.81 Avg Pts 8 events

Inbee Park 48.85 Pts 6.98 Avg Pts 7 events

So Yeon Ryu 23.17 Pts 3.31 Avg Pts 7 events

The Legend of Sei Young Kim grows. She has done some cool stuff in this game. Shooting an LPGA record -31, chipping in and holing out from the fairway to beat Inbee. Now she gets into a playoff and practically clones her 72nd hole birdie to seal the win. That was so cool. I am glad she won, however I did wish to see her play that 18th hole a third time.

> @legitimategolf said:

> The Legend of Sei Young Kim grows. She has done some cool stuff in this game. Shooting an LPGA record -31, chipping in and holing out from the fairway to beat Inbee. Now she gets into a playoff and practically clones her 72nd hole birdie to seal the win. That was so cool. I am glad she won, however I did wish to see her play that 18th hole a third time.

Same here, I wanted to see if she would dial in the drive and approach shots a third time. I was certain she could have, I think her playoff drive almost came to rest in her 72nd hole divot. Ridiculous.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @18majors said:

> > July 8, 2018 - June 29, 2020 is the Olympics qualifying period. Seventy percent ranking points earned between July 8, 2018 to June 30, 2019 will expire by June 29, 2020.

> > For example, Jin Young Ko earned 326.54 between July 8, 2018 and now; roughly 98.0 points will stay by June 29, 2020. She needs to earn, roughly, another 300 points between now and June 29, 2020 to ensure she qualifies.

> > Basically. players who play the best between now and June 29, 2020 will qualify; top players need to stay in top form.

>

> I haven't followed her much, but I like Lucky6's chances. Seems like someone that is more on the up than many of the others. The others are proven players with ups and downs and it's just a question of whether the up period comes at the right time.

>

> I have noticed that Lucky6 seems to have one crappy round per tournament. Argonne's comment on learning the courses may make sense in this context. In which case, she'll only do better next year.

>

>

Lucky 6 beat Jin Young Ko to win 2017 KLPGA money title; she won it again in 2018 as a part time player. In 2018, her main goal was to qualify for LPGA and spent a lot of time away from KLPGA.

She's everything; power, soft hand and a good putter. On top of that, she's super fit and full of fun and confidence.

She's a proven commodity; nothing she does should surprise anybody.

Kristen Gillman would have a great year if she finishes Louise Suggs Rookie of the Year race within 2 wins (300 points) of Lucky 6.

> @18majors said:

> Lucky 6 beat Jin Young Ko to win 2017 KLPGA money title; she won it again in 2018 as a part time player. In 2018, her main goal was to qualify for LPGA and spent a lot of time away from KLPGA.

> She's everything; power, soft hand and a good putter. On top of that, she's super fit and full of fun and confidence.

> She's a proven commodity; nothing she does should surprise anybody.

Yeah, I've only really picked up on what's been mentioned about her in these threads. I did watch her hit a few balls at the HSBC, and the ball flight was very strong/impressive. Since, I've looked for her name on the leaderboard but not a ton more.

I guess I should have watched her and Jin Young Ko play a few holes there (knew Ko was hitting it great last year, didn't know she'd takeoff this fast/high). Instead, I stuck with some of the old standards, many of whom now appear to be leaking oil...