2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Anyone played near Destin lately??

Lefty431

7/21 — played Indian Bayou ($50 mid-morning round off Golfnow.com) and the course conditions are excellent! Fairways, greens and even the little rough they have are all looking good right now. Enjoyed the old-school country club layout but it is some of a “vanilla” layout.

7/23 — played Kelly Plantation $154 morning tee time); slightly more challenging layout and also in excellent condition! The course has more of a resort type atmosphere to it and the service is better. Friendly staff but they were a little too lenient on the group ahead of us and we waited on every hole. The greens rolled true but a little slower than they actually look.

7/24 — played Windswept Dunes ($85 morning round) probably my favorite of the three courses as it was more challenging. Generous fairways and huge greens, but a slight wind and tough pin locations made it a fun round. Course is in great shape and once you start you don’t see anyone else as there is a lot of separation between the holes. Friendly staff but a no-frills pro shop and grill.

• Like 2

Played black stone yesterday was pleasantly surprised. Greens were in great condition but slow for my liking. Fairways were good but that could use a good rain. For sure the cheapest golf I have played in awhile $24.60 total. Too far of a drive for me to play on a regular basis when we are here but I want to go back when they have the golfboards are working. It would be fun to ride them there.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread so I don’t make a new one. How are the conditions in the courses down there. Headed down next week and want to get in a round or two. Have played the Raven and really like it but want to opt for something different this year.  Windswept gets a ton of great pub so it is on the short list. Also has anyone played Regatta since they opened the new green complexes? I need to play Kelly Plantation as well. Help me out guys! Thanks

I've not personally been to Regatta Bay since the renovation but I've heard good things.

Kelly Plantation should be in fine shape.

Storm damage in this area from Sally was quite minimal.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Destin last week and played 3 times. Regatta Bay($110- 7:50am), Emerald Bay($78- 9:00am), Kelly Plantation($115- 11:50am). All tee times were booked through Golfnow. RB was in the best shape followed closely by KP. EB greens were rough and very bouncy. Looked like they had punched holes a few weeks ago but needed to roll them very badly. Our group was pretty disappointed with EB cause it was always one of our favorite courses when we go down and play on our yearly Destin trip. I'd definitely recommend Regatta Bay and Kelly Plantation. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hello - heading down to Destin and going to be living there for January and February. I have two main questions as I'll have several other golfers with me:

1. The top 5 courses

2. How to get on / play them? This semi-private setup is a bit different than what I'm used to, and I want to play some good courses, and find some "daily" courses that are just good, affordable, and close. 

Any help, advice, or connections are welcome here - I've got two months and nothing to do but break 80. 

Thank you,

Blake

*Quick Bump*

Checking back in on this Destin Golf Topic: Is there a consensus list of best courses and how to get "on" them over the winter? I'll be living there in January and February (Maybe even March) and I'll have access to a golf cart within driving distance of some of these courses! Any heads-up or tips would be great. 

Nothing cosmic to getting on any of the courses I'll list below (other than it being more crowded down here than usual at this time of year):

1. Kelly Plantation

1a. Regatta Bay

2. Windswept Dunes (a bit of a drive from Destin, but great fun)

3. Raven at Sandestin

4. Rocky Bayou CC in Niceville (officially private, but some tee times made available to public daily)

5. Indian Bayou

6. Baytowne Course Sandestin

7. Emerald Bay (heard some rumblings about conditioning issues here, but can't verify)

Best course in the area is Camp Creek in Watersound, but it is private along with Shark's Tooth in PCB which is excellent but a notch below its sister course due to a couple sub-optimal hole designs compromised by the land they had to work with. Burnt Pine at Sandestin is also excellent, but exclusive to members and resort guests.

Edited by bcflyguy1

WITB Link

@bcflyguy1

Appreciate the feedback and input, really helpful as I put together a couple months worth of weekday rounds. I see alot about Burnt Pine but it looks like that one will be closed to us unless we get invited by a member is that correct? I ask as we will be living right on the beach on the other side of this course so that would have been the optimal choice on a weekly basis. 

Do you use GolfNow or some other app to book most of these, or is it just as easy to simply call the course and get it all scheduled? This list is awesome, I really appreciate it!

Thank you!

@blakeismore

I don't use GolfNow, no. I play most of my golf at Eglin AFB's course since I work as a contractor there, but it's not open to the public or I'd recommend playing there once as well (very atypical FL golf as it has lots of elevation changes and currently in fine shape).

One critique of the resort courses along the beach (Kelly, Regatta, Sandestin, etc.) is that they're all so similar in character. For that reason, going off the beaten path to place like Windswept and Blackstone (see below) can break up the sameness.

One more that I didn't mention that's a bit of a drive is Blackstone, up in Mossy Head. Lots of elevation changes and typically in good condition. A couple holes on the front 9 are crossed by a creek in an awkward place, but a great change of pace if you get bored of typical, pancake-flat FL golf.

Are you staying on the Sandestin property? If so, you might be able to get on at Burnt Pine. I'd at least call there to inquire; worst they can say is no.

If you're into seafood, recommend going to the OG Dewey Destin location (not the harbor side but the original tucked in the neighborhood north of 98 behind McQuire's. It's rustic (which is part of the charm), but the quality/freshness of the food is second to none. The teriyaki glazed tuna steak might change your life.

• Like 1

WITB Link

I am back down end of Dec and there until mid March unless Covid goes nuts

I love Blackstone and Rocky Bayou is not terrible either, both a drive.  I even like Shalimar Pointe.  All very well priced and fun layouts.  Blackstone has some wild elevation changes for Florida but is very tight off the tee compared to a typical vacation course (right thru the woods on every hole)

Last year I played at lot at Sandestin.  They have 10 and 20 round passes for renters out of state and you need to show a lease agreement to get the package deals.  I believe it works out to $38 a round for the standard tracks .. Baytowne and Links .. 1 punch each.  Raven works out to ~ $55 a round as it is 1.5 punches on the card

Burnt Pine is private at the same area.

I think Santa Rosa Beach Club maybe closed for reno but if not also a great track and good value out that way

If you can find a way onto Camp Creek and Shark's tooth, do it, both WOW

The greens at Indian Bayou are very very nice

Windswept is also a drive but very different,  It can play to 7800 yards and is a wide open fescue lined course like you'd find in Scotland

What I don't love down there .. no real great range to use

Edited by cardoustie
  • Like 2

Cally AIS TD Max 10.5* Diamana ZF 50tx

Callaway AIS TD 16* Blueboard Ion 63x

Ping G400 19.5* Blueboard Ion 73x

Ping G425 4h 23.5* Fuji TS 8.2s

Srixon ZU85 5i & 6i Diamana Blue 93x

Ping i210 7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

Jailbird AI Cruiser

Thanks @cardoustie I am currently scheming and working some connections to see about getting onto Camp & Sharks, as well as Burnt Pine. 

Huge Question: What is this dream pass you speak of? And how do I obtain it, I've got my lease information - but telling the wife it's costing $30 to play every day is such a huge win I need to know more about this pass. 

it's no dream pass B, call Sandestin or drop into one of their 2 pro shops with your lease and buy it (Baytowne and Links are different pro-shops .. one of them shares a shop with Raven)

Snowbird Players club special or something it was called last year.  See attached, I'm not a secretary but felt generous this morning

https://www.sandestin.com/offers-packages/sandestin-snowbird-winter-players-club-programs

• Thanks 1

Jailbird AI Cruiser

• 1 month later...

Bump @cardoustie did you make it down to FL?  We’re in Destin for January. Curious what my best bang would be for the buck.

You been to the Golf Garden?  Looks like they have a public range.

https://thegolfgardenofdestin.com/

I want to work on my game in the mornings, and will be checking this place out tomorrow.  Will try to get up to Windswept and maybe play Kelly once.  Indian Bayou is running a 6 round deal for $300 or so.  Kid at the pro shop said it comes out to $55/rd.  Not sure I wanna play there that much.  

6 hours ago, SouthLand said:

Bump @cardoustie did you make it down to FL?  We’re in Destin for January. Curious what my best bang would be for the buck.

You been to the Golf Garden?  Looks like they have a public range.

https://thegolfgardenofdestin.com/

I want to work on my game in the mornings, and will be checking this place out tomorrow.  Will try to get up to Windswept and maybe play Kelly once.  Indian Bayou is running a 6 round deal for $300 or so.  Kid at the pro shop said it comes out to $55/rd.  Not sure I wanna play there that much.  

Driving there tomorrow, have been in Myrtle Beach SC for a week

Jailbird AI Cruiser

Golf Garden has a solid short-game area, with three smaller greens to pitch onto and some variable terrain to set up odd lies.

Mats on the range are pretty thin.  Good for practice tight lies, I suppose, but bad on the wrists.  Range itself is fine, with signage out to 200, but room for at least 40 more behind that sign if I recall correctly.  

No punch card deals for buckets, though.  Didn’t get a chance to play the 9-homer.

• 4 weeks later...

Been down here for a month and have to say, some beautiful golf so far: top courses have been:

1. Raven,

2. Regatta,

3. Kelly Plantation

4. The Links 

Does anyone have any idea how to get on at Sharks Tooth, Camp, or Burnt Pine? That would be much appreciated, feel free to reach out privately, since we are here for the next 2 months and are playing Windswept next week. Would be awesome to get onto some other places that are restricted access! 

16 hours ago, blakeismore said:

Does anyone have any idea how to get on at Sharks Tooth, Camp, or Burnt Pine? That would be much appreciated, feel free to reach out privately, since we are here for the next 2 months and are playing Windswept next week. Would be awesome to get onto some other places that are restricted access! 

The how to get on is easy. You either need to be a member or the guest of a member. I don't have an "in" for you, but if you find one I suggest you take advantage of it. I've played Burnt Pine once and Camp Creek about 5 times times. CC might be my favorite course in that whole area. 

7 minutes ago, mparks said:

Just booked a condo in Miramar Beach for spring break, end of March. My 17 year old son and I will be looking for quantity over quality coming from Michigan. Any suggestions within 1/2 hour?

If I were to splurge on one great course in the area what would be the best bet?

The best courses right now are Raven or Regatta (excluding private or Windswept and Blackstone as they are farther away). Kelly Plantation a close 3rd but those greens are absolute blown glass so get ready for automatic 3 putts! 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mparks said:

Just booked a condo in Miramar Beach for spring break, end of March. My 17 year old son and I will be looking for quantity over quality coming from Michigan. Any suggestions within 1/2 hour?

If I were to splurge on one great course in the area what would be the best bet?

The Korn Ferry Tour is playing an event on the Sandestin Raven from 29 Mar to 4 Apr, so bear that in mind when making plans.

• Thanks 1

WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Dr.Frankenputz said:

I’ll be coming back to the area at the end of March & in addition to trying to get a few rounds in might try to get the kids fishing. Any recommendations on a kid-friendly charter for a few hours? 

Last Cast Charters

• Thanks 1

WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Dr.Frankenputz said:

Anyone else play down there lately? 
looks like we’re getting two rounds; leaning towards regatta and windswept dunes. 

May want to reserve tee times ahead. Courses in the area have been extremely busy.

• Thanks 1

WITB Link

17 hours ago, Dr.Frankenputz said:

Anyone else play down there lately? 
looks like we’re getting two rounds; leaning towards regatta and windswept dunes. 

Anecdotal evidence of how busy the Destin courses are:

I was at Kelly Plantation last week to do a couple club fittings on a weekday afternoon. There were three foursomes on the putting green waiting to tee off because they had to wait for carts to come back in from 18 to be quick turned for a second round. Courses in the area have been smashing their monthly and annual records for number of rounds played; it's absolutely wild. KP closed to outside play for six weeks in the spring of '20, and they still broke their annual record for number of rounds played before the calendar hit December and the pace of business has held at that level ever since. Despite all the extra traffic, course conditions there and elsewhere have held up quite well.

WITB Link