Anyone played near Destin lately??

Lefty431

36 minutes ago, GreyDawg said:

Whats the word on Raven and Burnt Pine in San Destin?

Can nonmembers still get on to Burnt Pine early morning?

Last I checked Raven was public and open to anyone. You can book tee times online.

Burnt Pine is members only. Although I've heard people who are staying at the resort can get on sometimes without a membership. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GreyDawg said:

Haha, got it. Pretty much asking if any of them are a hard no right now. Appreciate the response. 

Any thoughts on Bay Point in PCB? I've never headed down that way to play.

It's a old nicholas design. Good layout but never been in real good condition the times I have played it. They always want more than what it is worth to play it IMO. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Played the following last week while on a spring break trip from Michigan with my 18 year old son.

Fort Walton Beach - The Oaks

Decent for the money.  I had a helluva a time hitting off the sparse fairways.  A lot of bare lies and I got to know the "oaks" pretty well.  Lots of punch out practice!  The Pines looked a lot greener and a local told me it was much better.

Kelly Plantation

Just awesome.  Greens were very fast.  Playing putt-putt at the go kart place in Destin was excellent prep for those greens, lol!

Golf Gardens of Destin

We had a great time here.  We were on a 110 yard par 3 over a pond.  This guy is fishing maybe 50 yards in front of us, he's down below the bank with just his head and chest exposed.  Guess he felt safe enough to completely ignore us. I said, "Heads up."  He ignored me.  So we just teed off and hit decent shots so he was lucky.

Sandestin - The Links.

This one was fun too.  Kind of a little pucker factor hitting driver with houses so close but for $50 a nine that's their problem.  We managed to avoid any serious property damage.  Certainly in the "target golf" category of courses, IMO.

Overall, we had a great time golfing.  Pace wasn't bad as a twosome on any course.  Didn't have to be paired with anyone.  Play in the afternoon for all rounds.  Only hit 9 for all but KP.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping this thread as I am trying to sort out the "budget" courses around Destin. I know that conditions will drop off a bit from the Emerald Bay/Kelly Planation/Regatta Bay crowd but still want decent greens. So far, I am eyeing:

Possibilities

Ft Walton Beach Golf Course (seems like an average muni which is what I usually play back home so that is fine as long as it isn't "Seascape bad")

Blackstone - looks like it is on the tighter side but very economical as well

Absolutely Not

Seascape (I have heard they are just completely letting this course go and I have never heard a good thing about it)
Bluewater Bay - also sounds like it has fallen off quite a bit and is not worth playing
Shalimar Pointe - I think they are still closed to public play after their re-design/restoration

Basically, I don't want these courses to be complete goat tracks but will put up with some less than stellar "amenities" and conditions for the price. I am playing with a few non-golfers so this is more of a hit and giggle though I don't want to completely waste my time. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 17.75* - LIN-Q Blue

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 21.5* - PX U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Maltby MAX Milled 58*

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

45 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

Bumping this thread as I am trying to sort out the "budget" courses around Destin. I know that conditions will drop off a bit from the Emerald Bay/Kelly Planation/Regatta Bay crowd but still want decent greens. So far, I am eyeing:

Possibilities

Ft Walton Beach Golf Course (seems like an average muni which is what I usually play back home so that is fine as long as it isn't "Seascape bad")

Absolutely Not

Seascape (I have heard they are just completely letting this course go and I have never heard a good thing about it)
Bluewater Bay - also sounds like it has fallen off quite a bit and is not worth playing
Shalimar Pointe - I think they are still closed to public play after their re-design/restoration

Basically, I don't want these courses to be complete goat tracks but will put up with some less than stellar "amenities" and conditions for the price. I am playing with a few non-golfers so this is more of a hit and giggle though I don't want to completely waste my time. 

What is budget friendly for you? <$50? <$100?

Also, when are you going? Rates can change pretty dramatically down there depending on the season and time of day.

5 hours ago, Abh159 said:

What is budget friendly for you? <$50? <$100?

Probably anything less than $75. Rocky Bayou looks like a decent option as well. I will be down there Feb 17-20

Maltby MAX Milled 58*

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

It’s a hike inland, but I would recommend Windswept Dunes.  Really fun course (IMHO) plenty of width.  Good practice area too.  It’s been a few years since I was down there, but it’s a favorite of mine.

pair it with a trip to the grocery store and you can pay inland prices! 😀

WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS, stock stiff, 9*
3 wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max, stock stiff, 15*,
Hybrid: Callaway XR Pro stock pro stiff 18*
Irons: Callaway Apex (2014) 4-AW, KBS Tour-V 110 S
Wedges: Mizuno MP-T 56*; Callaway X Series Jaws 60*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

On 2/10/2023 at 5:16 PM, vandyfan said:

Probably anything less than $75. Rocky Bayou looks like a decent option as well. I will be down there Feb 17-20

Looks like the "nicer" options (Kelly Plantation and Regatta Bay) have afternoon times starting at 1:30 pm for $80-90. You might have to hustle a bit to finish, but those would be my choice.

Otherwise Blackstone would probably be the best option. However, it's a fairly decent drive outside of town (45 minutes to an hour).

FWIW I always thought Emerald Bay was a step behind those two. I'd consider Kelly and Regatta to be B+ courses and Emerald is a solid C.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Abh159 said:

FWIW I always thought Emerald Bay was a step behind those two. I'd consider Kelly and Regatta to be B+ courses and Emerald is a solid C.

Yes emerald is definitely a bit tired and doesn't have the conditioning of Kelly but I still find it fun. Kelly is a bit penal in places (for me) so I tend to avoid it due to lost ball potential + high price tag. Regatta is always a lot wider than I expect it to be so I tend to enjoy that one. We have been going down to destin for over a decade now but I somehow have never played any of the courses I mentioned above so maybe this is a good litmus test for them. Thank you @Abh159 for your responses!

Maltby MAX Milled 58*

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

On 2/10/2023 at 11:17 AM, vandyfan said:

Possibilities

Absolutely Not

Just across the bay is Rocky Bayou CC it's a nice older club nothing spectacular but good course with some good holes. Greens usually good and can get on around $50. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

19 hours ago, sethdavidsdad said:

Just across the bay is Rocky Bayou CC it's a nice older club nothing spectacular but good course with some good holes. Greens usually good and can get on around $50. 

I had DM'd @vandyfan about Rocky Bayou CC since I play out of there and live in the neighborhood. Course is dormant except for fairways and tee boxes, but we've had a fairly wet winter so the course and greens haven't been able to stay as firm and fast as they otherwise would. Getting to the time of year where skinny lies are the norm until the bermuda can get going again. If you're not chipping/pitching the ball extremely well, it will find you out. We're hosting local US Open qualifying in May of this year for the first time, and I suspect it will take something like 66 or better to get through. It's a good members' course, but professional and high level ams will shred it because it's simply too easy off the tee for them.

The club celebrated it's 50th anniversary this past fall, and marked the occasion by having most of the surviving charter members out for a ceremony; fun day!

Edited by bcflyguy1
  • Like 2

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

@bcflyguy1  Played Rocky Bayou and thought it was an absolute delight. Greens were in great shape and for $80 with range balls and a cart it was, to me, a much better deal than similar conditions at Emerald Bay for $130. Rocky Bayou is a little bit more forgiving off the tee than the courses on 98 and has some elevation changes as well as some interesting green complexes. A lot of the holes are quite straightforward but the greens (to me) made it interesting on several holes. Will definitely play again. I thought #4, #9, #14 and #18 were standout holes. I would be happy to play that course every day. 

Fort Walton Beach was in pretty sad shape but was still a fun course to play (Pines), I likely won't be back unless they get their greens smoothed out a bit.

• Like 3

Maltby MAX Milled 58*

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

20 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

@bcflyguy1  Played Rocky Bayou and thought it was an absolute delight. Greens were in great shape and for $80 with range balls and a cart it was, to me, a much better deal than similar conditions at Emerald Bay for $130. Rocky Bayou is a little bit more forgiving off the tee than the courses on 98 and has some elevation changes as well as some interesting green complexes. A lot of the holes are quite straightforward but the greens (to me) made it interesting on several holes. Will definitely play again. I thought #4, #9, #14 and #18 were standout holes. I would be happy to play that course every day. 

Fort Walton Beach was in pretty sad shape but was still a fun course to play (Pines), I likely won't be back unless they get their greens smoothed out a bit.

Glad you enjoyed it, friend, welcome back any time. Cheers!

• Like 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

Indian Bayou in Destin if you book online and play early you can play for $85. Greens are fastest in the area that I’ve played and a fun layout. Other than that, Windswept Dunes is a gem but a little bit of a hike. 

Taylormade Stealth 8.5* Kuro Kage TINI 60X

Titleist 917F3 15* AV RAW WHITE

Titleist T300 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X

Cobra King Pur 53* 59* Nippon Modus 3 130x

Ping Redwood D66 Red Iomic

• 2 weeks later...

Third year down in Destin, played all the usuals and we are staying right next to Shark's Tooth and Camp Creek for the next two weeks... Anyone have a way to snag a tee-time? Called the pro-shop and talked to them and they were kind of not interested, but maybe they'll be lenient if it's a slow day? Would be awesome to get onto one or the other if anyone has a way to book a tee time! 

2 minutes ago, blakeismore said:

Third year down in Destin, played all the usuals and we are staying right next to Shark's Tooth and Camp Creek for the next two weeks... Anyone have a way to snag a tee-time? Called the pro-shop and talked to them and they were kind of not interested, but maybe they'll be lenient if it's a slow day? Would be awesome to get onto one or the other if anyone has a way to book a tee time! 

Either be the guest of a member or if you are a member of a good private somewhere else you can ask your pro to try and make a call for you.

FWIW, Camp Creek isn't in the best shape right now based on the people I know who are members.

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2023 at 10:11 AM, blakeismore said:

What are your thoughts on "the usuals" whats in good/bad shape?  Favorites?

• 1 month later...

Haven't been down there in years, unfortunately...

But, Indian Bayou and Ft. Walton Beach muni were my usual haunts.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I played windswept dunes back in october. I would highly recommend that course. I think it cost $105 on a weekday morning. It is a little bit of a drive from Destin though. i want to say about 40 mins. Also played Kelly Plantation but for $190, Im not sure its quite worth it. You can get it cheaper later in the day or maybe find a deal online.