2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Scotland 2019 Trip

Three of us have started a 10-day trip around Scotland and thought we’d share some thoughts and pics. Started at Castle Stuart yesterday. Course was wonderful and not as American as many say. Plenty of room to play shots thru the air, but so much better on the ground. Par 3s were fantastic - best group I’ve ever played. Bunkers were tough but not brutal. Great course and worth the play. Caddies were OK but not great

> @flatback said:

> Three of us have started a 10-day trip around Scotland and thought we’d share some thoughts and pics. Started at Castle Stuart yesterday. Course was wonderful and not as American as many say. Plenty of room to play shots thru the air, but so much better on the ground. Par 3s were fantastic - best group I’ve ever played. Bunkers were tough but not brutal. Great course and worth the play. Caddies were OK but not great

Have a great time! I don't speak for others, but I'm always interested in the non-golf things as well as the golf. Where did you stay, where did you eat and/or drink? And where are you playing tomorrow?

> @flatback said:

> Three of us have started a 10-day trip around Scotland and thought we’d share some thoughts and pics. Started at Castle Stuart yesterday. Course was wonderful and not as American as many say. Plenty of room to play shots thru the air, but so much better on the ground. Par 3s were fantastic - best group I’ve ever played. Bunkers were tough but not brutal. Great course and worth the play. Caddies were OK but not great

What's the rest of your itinerary? Do you have any pics? I always enjoy hearing about other golfer's trips. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

We arrived Friday and drove to tain ... had thought about playing tain late, but the bags of two of the crew didn't make it ... itinerary is/was cs on Saturday, 36 at dornoch on Sunday, drive to Ayr on Monday, troon on tues, turnberry on wed, muirfield on th & drive to St. Andrews after ... get results from lottery or que up fri morning for toc ... play local if no old course tee time on fri ... carnoustie on sat, berwick on Sunday, then home for the crew while I stay and play toc wed ... rented clubs for CS ... decided to add prestwick after troon ... so turnberry tomorrow ... staying at airbnb throughout except for wed night in gullane at the mallard house ... highly recommend sheree for tain via airbnb ...

> @tiderider said:

> We arrived Friday and drove to tain ... had thought about playing tain late, but the bags of two of the crew didn't make it ... itinerary is/was cs on Saturday, 36 at dornoch on Sunday, drive to Ayr on Monday, troon on tues, turnberry on wed, muirfield on th & drive to St. Andrews after ... get results from lottery or que up fri morning for toc ... play local if no old course tee time on fri ... carnoustie on sat, berwick on Sunday, then home for the crew while I stay and play toc wed ... rented clubs for CS ... decided to add prestwick after troon ... so turnberry tomorrow ... staying at airbnb throughout except for wed night in gullane at the mallard house ... highly recommend sheree for tain via airbnb ...

Good luck, thats lots of golf, and lots of windshield time. Tain is great fun, too bad it didn't work out for you to play there. In Gullane have the fish supper at the Old Clubhouse Restaurant.

wow a busy trip. looking forward to the reviews.

I am Playing Turnberry on my wedding day in September, so especially want to see lots from there.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @scott_Donald said:

> wow a busy trip. looking forward to the reviews.

>

> I am Playing Turnberry on my wedding day in September, so especially want to see lots from there.

Played with a twosome at Troon that played Turnberry as part of their package two days earlier and they said there were only two other groups on the course when they played - this was start of June - if you're going out earlier maybe you'll have similar in Sept, which would be pretty cool way to prepare for the afternoon, just wafting around the links without anyone else around :-)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Just finished Turnberry ... it is gorgeous ... not quite as interesting as Dornoch, but the holes have enough links character ... it is in fabulous condition, and the holes are framed beautifully against the water and sky ... bit of a spectacle, for sure ... #9 from the tips ... we played 30 yards up to the right ...

wwtkcv27h1ta.jpeg

> @duffer987 said:

> > @scott_Donald said:

> > wow a busy trip. looking forward to the reviews.

> >

> > I am Playing Turnberry on my wedding day in September, so especially want to see lots from there.

>

> Played with a twosome at Troon that played Turnberry as part of their package two days earlier and they said there were only two other groups on the course when they played - this was start of June - if you're going out earlier maybe you'll have similar in Sept, which would be pretty cool way to prepare for the afternoon, just wafting around the links without anyone else around :-)

Ye we are teeing off at 8.34 and 8.42 I think, so before the members comp so should be able to go round fast, think we are all walking with a buggy of the 2 non golfing ushers, could be interesting. I am under orders to make sure I am at Clean castle by 1.30!!!

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

> @tiderider said:

> Just finished Turnberry ... it is gorgeous ... not quite as interesting as Dornoch, but the holes have enough links character ... it is in fabulous condition, and the holes are framed beautifully against the water and sky ... bit of a spectacle, for sure ... #9 from the tips ... we played 30 yards up to the right ...

>

> wwtkcv27h1ta.jpeg

>

How was the half way hut? my dad has played there numerous times but I have never played it. was it worth the huge price? I am getting a mini discount as staying at the hotel.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

> @scott_Donald said:

> > @tiderider said:

> > Just finished Turnberry ... it is gorgeous ... not quite as interesting as Dornoch, but the holes have enough links character ... it is in fabulous condition, and the holes are framed beautifully against the water and sky ... bit of a spectacle, for sure ... #9 from the tips ... we played 30 yards up to the right ...

> >

> > wwtkcv27h1ta.jpeg

> >

>

> How was the half way hut? my dad has played there numerous times but I have never played it. was it worth the huge price? I am getting a mini discount as staying at the hotel.

Nothing special ... drinks, food and alcohol ... view is incredible, however ...

Played Muirfield today ... very subtle and understated ... no hole stood out, though you get the feeling that’s not the point ... bunkering is penal; none of them have names since where there’s one there are a few others in the same vicinity ... #12 is a great example with one fairway bunker on the left that lunches in and 4 bunkers up the right in front/side of the green ... hit short on the left side for the clearest approach or attempt longer drive on the right with a shorter shot over more danger ... course felt like a grand dame, with no need for picturesque holes of ocean views ... greens were smooth and fast enough for links ... the main impression is the routing, which changes direction constantly, so no 8 hole marches through the same wind ... stern test of golf that I made about a 60 on ...

• Like 2

Will post more pics and stuff; but played north Berwick today and will say, IMO, that it is as much a “must play” as any course in Scotland ... bit of a mixture of elements of Dornoch with Turnberry views here and there ... classic out/in routing ... Redan hole is a test, for sure (one that I failed) ... would play this course again in a heartbeat ...

6p4d4ll85iib.jpeg

> @tiderider said:

> Will post more pics and stuff; but played north Berwick today and will say, IMO, that it is as much a “must play” as any course in Scotland ... bit of a mixture of elements of Dornoch with Turnberry views here and there ... classic out/in routing ... Redan hole is a test, for sure (one that I failed) ... would play this course again in a heartbeat ...

> 6p4d4ll85iib.jpeg

>

>

>

>

>

Totally agree, North Berwick was for me the highlight of my trip last summer. The course, the town and the people made for the complete golf package. Looking forward to my next visit.

Titleist TS2 9.5 HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

TaylorMade M2 3 wood
Ping G5 4 Hybrid Grafalloy ProLuanch Blue Stiff
Titleist AP3 ProjectX LZ 6.0
Titleist Volkey SM7: 48,54
Odyssey Works #7

> @davep043 said:

> > @flatback said:

> > Three of us have started a 10-day trip around Scotland and thought we’d share some thoughts and pics. Started at Castle Stuart yesterday. Course was wonderful and not as American as many say. Plenty of room to play shots thru the air, but so much better on the ground. Par 3s were fantastic - best group I’ve ever played. Bunkers were tough but not brutal. Great course and worth the play. Caddies were OK but not great

>

> Have a great time! I don't speak for others, but I'm always interested in the non-golf things as well as the golf. Where did you stay, where did you eat and/or drink? And where are you playing tomorrow?

Did spend the last two nights at the whey pat, just up the street from my Airbnb ... very local crowd ... popped into the Dunvegan yesterday for lunch when it was almost empty ... ate at little Italy Monday night ... you’ll need reservations there or get there early and plan on being told you have an hour; service is, shall we say, mildly indifferent, though it’s a solid break from pub/Scottish fare ... not to rant here, but I think diet is fairly important to a trip that is usually packed with 18 holes walking each day, esp hydration ... you simply can’t drink too much water the night before or day of, and a healthy break from pints and protein/starches is necessary here or there ...

There's no such thing as a healthy break from pints :-|

But ya I couldn't do the full fry up for breakfast everyday, much prefer a simple bacon bap and off you go.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @duffer987 said:

> There's no such thing as a healthy break from pints :-|

> But ya I couldn't do the full fry up for breakfast everyday, much prefer a simple bacon bap and off you go.

Actually had a berry smoothie this morning before my round ... put a little energy in my step

> @duffer987 said:

> There's no such thing as a healthy break from pints :-|

> But ya I couldn't do the full fry up for breakfast everyday, much prefer a simple bacon bap and off you go.

I learned early on that most courses don't have refreshment options on the course. I learned to take a bottle of water, and pick up a bacon roll from Munch in South Street to take on the course for my snack.

> @davep043 said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > There's no such thing as a healthy break from pints :-|

> > But ya I couldn't do the full fry up for breakfast everyday, much prefer a simple bacon bap and off you go.

>

> I learned early on that most courses don't have refreshment options on the course. I learned to take a bottle of water, and pick up a bacon roll from Munch in South Street to take on the course for my snack.

Oh ya. As a big water drinker, my first stop after the car hire is a Tescos or ASDAs to load up on water and breakfast bars.

Finding water on course is definitely much trickier in the UK/Ireland than North America. That and running out of tees on the firm turf are the only two downsides :-)

F.T.

> @DexterC said:

> > @tiderider said:

> > Will post more pics and stuff; but played north Berwick today and will say, IMO, that it is as much a “must play” as any course in Scotland ... bit of a mixture of elements of Dornoch with Turnberry views here and there ... classic out/in routing ... Redan hole is a test, for sure (one that I failed) ... would play this course again in a heartbeat ...

> > 6p4d4ll85iib.jpeg

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Totally agree, North Berwick was for me the highlight of my trip last summer. The course, the town and the people made for the complete golf package. Looking forward to my next visit.

North Berwick is one of my favourite courses anywhere. Agree with you, cool town and the course is the perfect mix of fun, challenge, variety.

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

> @duffer987 said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @duffer987 said:

> > > There's no such thing as a healthy break from pints :-|

> > > But ya I couldn't do the full fry up for breakfast everyday, much prefer a simple bacon bap and off you go.

> >

> > I learned early on that most courses don't have refreshment options on the course. I learned to take a bottle of water, and pick up a bacon roll from Munch in South Street to take on the course for my snack.

>

> Oh ya. As a big water drinker, my first stop after the car hire is a Tescos or ASDAs to load up on water and breakfast bars.

> Finding water on course is definitely much trickier in the UK/Ireland than North America. That and running out of tees on the firm turf are the only two downsides :-)

Save on single use plastic and source your water from the tap (faucet), same stuff that's in the Tesco's bottles.

> @Malvern said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > > @davep043 said:

> > > > @duffer987 said:

> > > > There's no such thing as a healthy break from pints :-|

> > > > But ya I couldn't do the full fry up for breakfast everyday, much prefer a simple bacon bap and off you go.

> > >

> > > I learned early on that most courses don't have refreshment options on the course. I learned to take a bottle of water, and pick up a bacon roll from Munch in South Street to take on the course for my snack.

> >

> > Oh ya. As a big water drinker, my first stop after the car hire is a Tescos or ASDAs to load up on water and breakfast bars.

> > Finding water on course is definitely much trickier in the UK/Ireland than North America. That and running out of tees on the firm turf are the only two downsides :-)

>

> Save on single use plastic and source your water from the tap (faucet), same stuff that's in the Tesco's bottles.

Scottish water from the tap is soooooo good. Really miss it when in Houston.

Edit - Aberdeen/Edinburgh/Stranraer/Highlands, not in Glasgow for some reason.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

> @Malvern said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > > @davep043 said:

> > > > @duffer987 said:

> > > > There's no such thing as a healthy break from pints :-|

> > > > But ya I couldn't do the full fry up for breakfast everyday, much prefer a simple bacon bap and off you go.

> > >

> > > I learned early on that most courses don't have refreshment options on the course. I learned to take a bottle of water, and pick up a bacon roll from Munch in South Street to take on the course for my snack.

> >

> > Oh ya. As a big water drinker, my first stop after the car hire is a Tescos or ASDAs to load up on water and breakfast bars.

> > Finding water on course is definitely much trickier in the UK/Ireland than North America. That and running out of tees on the firm turf are the only two downsides :-)

>

> Save on single use plastic and source your water from the tap (faucet), same stuff that's in the Tesco's bottles.

Oh I am not tap averse and use them :-) But ya I buy the big huge square-ish jug and leave it in the boot and use it to refill my water bottle (well bottles I bring a couple) as need be, that I bring with me.

I might have noted it in my thread or elsewhere here, but it was cool to see Troon stop selling them altogether.

F.T.

Y'all are hitting only half of my personal equation, I wanted some solid nutrition during the round. Some people would take fruit, or protein bars, but I preferred "probably the world's best bacon roll", as advertised on the sign out front of Munch. I'd stop in during my pre-breakfast walk and get a bacon roll and a coffee for under 2 pounds.

> @duffer987 said:

> > @Malvern said:

> > > @duffer987 said:

> > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > @duffer987 said:

> > > > > There's no such thing as a healthy break from pints :-|

> > > > > But ya I couldn't do the full fry up for breakfast everyday, much prefer a simple bacon bap and off you go.

> > > >

> > > > I learned early on that most courses don't have refreshment options on the course. I learned to take a bottle of water, and pick up a bacon roll from Munch in South Street to take on the course for my snack.

> > >

> > > Oh ya. As a big water drinker, my first stop after the car hire is a Tescos or ASDAs to load up on water and breakfast bars.

> > > Finding water on course is definitely much trickier in the UK/Ireland than North America. That and running out of tees on the firm turf are the only two downsides :-)

> >

> > Save on single use plastic and source your water from the tap (faucet), same stuff that's in the Tesco's bottles.

>

> Oh I am not tap averse and use them :-) But ya I buy the big huge square-ish jug and leave it in the boot and use it to refill my water bottle (well bottles I bring a couple) as need be, that I bring with me.

> I might have noted it in my thread or elsewhere here, but it was cool to see Troon stop selling them altogether.

So I’m carrying a pint onto the course, lol?

I like to think it's an environmental thing and not to shift more logo'd merch ;-)

"Here at Royal Troon we are doing our bit for the environment by removing the sale of single use plastic water bottles from Spring 2019. We hope you will welcome this initiative as we believe we are the first Golf Club in the UK to do this and hope that many more will follow.

We have installed a cool, filtered water station in the Professional Shop where you can refill a reusable bottle for free. Several types of quality, logoed reusable water bottles are available for purchase from the Professional Shop starting at £12.00. If you would like to purchase a reusable bottle from the Professional Shop prior to your trip they are available on:

https://www.royaltroononlineshop.com/145th-open-2016-collection

Using single use plastic bottles is discouraged and as such will not be able to be filled from the Clubhouse. "

F.T.

> @duffer987 said:

> I like to think it's an environmental thing and not to shift more logo'd merch ;-)

>

> "Here at Royal Troon we are doing our bit for the environment by removing the sale of single use plastic water bottles from Spring 2019. We hope you will welcome this initiative as we believe we are the first Golf Club in the UK to do this and hope that many more will follow.

>

> We have installed a cool, filtered water station in the Professional Shop where you can refill a reusable bottle for free. Several types of quality, logoed reusable water bottles are available for purchase from the Professional Shop starting at £12.00. If you would like to purchase a reusable bottle from the Professional Shop prior to your trip they are available on:

>

> https://www.royaltroononlineshop.com/145th-open-2016-collection

>

> Using single use plastic bottles is discouraged and as such will not be able to be filled from the Clubhouse. "

I only use my corkcicle or Yeti bottles now.

Just back from the Supermarket there and I never take a plastic bag now, either use a fabric bag or carry the few items.

UK is certainly ahead of America for the environment! France is even further ahead!

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400