2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Troon and North Berwick - 2019

Lazy weekend recharging after just getting back Thursday night. I'll apologize in advance for not having course pics like I'd hoped for all the courses, but will try and give some feedback nonetheless.

South Ayrshire and Belfast:

We stayed in a B&B just outside Troon and adjacent to the railway famous for running along part of the back nine at Royal Troon. The view from our room out over to the 10th green and across the course to the sea (you could also see the postage stamp from another angle) was incredible.

9vqwcz9uc47t.jpeg

On the grounds my wife and "Duke" bonded, lol.

4fxyud91h4na.jpeg

We played Prestwick St. Nicholas the day we arrived. Exhausted, but enjoyed the course. Pretty wide open in spots, not so much in others. A lot of the holes by the sea, great vistas.

Next day we played West Kilbride. Loved it! Views of the sea from everywhere, interesting holes, very welcoming.

r46tkr31twhl.jpeg

erp1sxzny9cj.jpeg

8rf3c70gvf13.jpeg

Saturday was a long day. We got up before dawn and headed down the coast to Cairnryan to catch a ferry (left the car behind) to Belfast for the day. Started at St. George's Market - wow, I'd be there every weekend for fresh seafood if I lived there and I don't even like it that much. Arts and crafts as well on Saturday. Fun place. Then lunch at Kelly's Cellars were they claim a pub has been serving the public for almost 300 years. Had to try an Irish whiskey and the Redbreast 12 year old was really, really good. Toured the palatial City Hall then met up with Bobby for a Black Taxi Tour of the peace wall areas. He was a victim and survivor of the "the troubles" and we learned a lot, but also came away with a lot more interest in learning more in general about the history and that was the point. Given his perspective and experiences, he was really balanced in his commentary and a sweet person.

lyuvrj0fgteh.jpeg

rs893urdn7ut.jpeg

0k11syrmpec9.jpeg

etoekjrx9yzw.jpeg

m8rwq9vdrk5k.jpeg

jrcllo5mkem0.jpeg

fbm8n3iymmsg.jpeg

Sunday had to get up early after the midnight arrival back from Ireland and played a comp at Kilmarnock (Barassie). Super nice staff and great folks in the pro shop. Got paired up with two guys from . . . . Northern Ireland. Couldn't have had a better pair to play with. No pics. Left the phone in the car for the comp. Had a nice post round beverage with the guys after the round in the clubhouse.

Monday we played Prestwick late afternoon. A pox upon me for no pics! The caddie master is a gift from heaven - what a great guy! First course we arranged caddies, and necessary, IMO. Played okay after a rough start. Parred the "famous" holes, so pretty proud of that, but too many offline shots from the tee. Loved the course, just loved it. Almost birdied the par 4 and drivable 18th from WAY left of the green, lol, so had a few onlookers near number 1 and the practice green. Hit a nice little pitch (thanks Monte!) to a tight pin (thanks Monte!) and . . . . missed the putt. Oh well. Clubhouse is stacked with golf history - incredible.

Tuesday we played Royal Troon. Late teeing off - some members had a special guest (Rusty Wallace who apparently showed up late - must have just kept going round and round a roundabout that morning, lol) and pushed back the tee times. So my wife and I got paired up with another twosome, which really shouldn't have happened. Good news is it worked out fine. Super nice guys to play with and they were pretty gracious about getting paired up as well. The day was sunny and spectacular! Made the decision after Monday the driver was in the bag, period. Hit 3 wood all morning and hit it great, but a little high for my caddie's tastes ("did she burn up on re-entry?" - lol). 41 on the front - terrible double on 9 (but just missed birdie on the Postage Stamp 8th), and 39 coming in. 3 doubles, 3 bogeys and 12 pars - best round of the trip and highlight for me. In an ironic twist, hit 3w off the tee on 18 and went just a bit right and sure enough, unlike Stenson, my ball didn't stop short of the bunker. Had to play out sideways, then a good shot on the green and ..... two putts for bogey. Short game out of sand and pitches from some interesting and grassy lies made for some memorable and really tough up and downs which, in addition to finding fairways, made for a great morning (again, thanks Monte!). Lunch in the clubhouse afterward. We returned in the evening after having a chance to get cleaned up to take in more of the clubhouse and a member who we'd seen at lunch was still there and he showed us around a bit. Lots of history there as well and gracious of him to take the time.

This one, sadly, headed for the coffin.

v1nx6qemqg0k.jpeg

xip2cmabpla5.jpeg

Sorry for the quality, the result of zooming a phone camera. My wife got a shot of where my ball ended up on the 8th. Hit it left of the hole, caught the slope and came down. Birdie putt left an agonizing couple of inches short.

1vfhdd4uibyc.jpeg

The member for a day stuff is fun!

sksh799ygh01.jpeg

q0wwmr2g1z7m.jpeg

hby41j4cu65p.jpeg

Tiger's next win at Troon?

bz21dnym4pme.jpeg

Caught some falconry on the way to North Berwick from Troon. He's not sure what to make of me. Go Hawks!

o9xisbt94332.jpeg

Played Glen Golf Club - North Berwick East Links the day we arrived. Wow, elevation changes are impressive. They said in the clubhouse after the climb to the first that was the tough part. LOL, they must have a laugh about that. The climb just begins - it still goes up and just when you get a couple holes headed down - back up until the 18th tee where you hit down to the clubhouse.

This pic, which also shows the building where our flat was, shows the cliff upon which Glen Golf Club sits if you look to the left. We walked to the course. Ocean views are spectacular, simply spectacular and consistent on this course. We had a nice sunny day, it was awesome. Now, fairways, IMO, have lost their links character - fairways and rough grasses reminded more of home than of Scotland. Fairways were generous, course was in good condition and was a joy just to look around while playing.

6f0gi8j94nzd.jpeg

3vu62wccugq5.jpeg

1k467nbwgaw9.jpeg

5attau5s0ph8.jpeg

Misc. North Berwick.

erptbkglwa1z.jpeg

6blpcbrnlozc.jpeg

zi5oxvf48xz6.jpeg

j1ms1dl3gits.jpeg

Fringe by the Sea was going on - caught a few shows, including Old Blind Dogs - AMAZING group!

02cq3e3t3svx.jpeg

41lci7frgeda.jpeg

Played the West Links twice, almost. Weather interrupted the first round, hail, thunderstorms and they closed the course when we were on 11, after a long wait in the shed by the range. Next day the weather cooperated and had a great day out. A couple pics are from the British Senior Open Championship that was being held just after we first arrived. We watched most of the final round. You'll see runner up and Iowa golf legend Gene Elliott on 13 and on the back half of the incredible green on 16 (that valley is the middle of the green!). Fun to watch really talented players and their approach to playing the course. Then a couple shots from our round on Monday.

dcxer2rjthpe.jpeg

nrp3536krrl9.jpeg

zd5x54hvgwr8.jpeg

I had a little brain fade after a perfect 3w up the right and hit the wrong wedge into 13, and thus, as they say in National Treasure, "Heere at the wall."

bdtfoc44e1r9.jpeg

View down the 18th, a little reminiscent of The Old Course.

9fj3io1wj7nz.jpg

Favorite sticker - peaceniks!

04mnyfyecovl.jpeg

Scotland is a dog loving country! A few of our favorite new friends.

060gyxibc8v9.jpeg

aimd0auki8ro.jpeg

d4vzu6jhe5y8.jpeg

7h8wr5useld3.jpeg

iwtj1xuznb01.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @jonnymc44 said:

> Another great trip @Hawkeye77. Nice to see you met some furry new friends too.

> When and where is the next one taking you?!

This year was more of an impulse last October, ironically, after not getting selected again for The Old Course (put in just because) and we hadn't really planned on going back over for a couple of years, let alone after just going in 2018, so definitely not next year. I'd really like to take in even a practice round at The Open in two years and plan something around that involving golf in England and Scotland if possible. The wife still wants to visit Ireland but has this unnatural yen for Italy all of a sudden. I know the family would love a few days in London sometime, so maybe a trip that starts there or, heaven forbid, lol, my wife has hinted at a trip that does not involve golf - yikes! She enjoys golfing and she's such a good sport I won't be ignoring too may hints. Counting last year we've now taken 2 two week vacations in 31 years so we are trying to break out of our little shell and I resolved to be away from work for two solid weeks and have found out the world still turns, haha. Next trip will include the two kids so need to start saving up for four for whatever the trip is and make a commitment to go somewhere when we are able to do so. I've opened Pandora's box!

I know we are getting to the Monterey area next spring for a short visit, so golf-wise that is happening for sure - relatives we really need to visit there and so we shall. ;-) Yosemite is still a place I'd like to see, frankly Yellowstone and some places in the U.S. Otherwise a big golf trip for me will be back to my attending a clinic somewhere that Monte is conducting.

> @tiderider said:

> great stuff ... honestly don't know if i'd rate berwick below dornoch and/or TOC ... loved my round on there, absolutely loved it ... would think staying in berwick would be a treat next time ...

It's a great course. Royal Dornoch was a lot tougher for me for some reason (maybe not having much game at the start of the trip last year was a factor, lol) but the experience at The Old Course by far number one for me and then for courses from a playing perspective, Royal Dornoch, North Berwick and Royal Troon are all right there and all for different reasons as places I could play every day and not get tired of playing them. Lucky to have finally made the opportunities happen.

I'm glad to see that you enjoyed The Glen. I played it last year, and I'm glad I did. Its not a "great" course, but its scenic and fun, and a decent challenge, and very reasonably priced. After the round having a pint in the clubhouse, the locals could not have been more welcoming, a really good experience all around. You're right, the geologic setting on that rocky headland makes it play more like a parkland course, it just doesn't have the natural sand base of a true links. On the other hand, that setting gives it amazing views.

To quote Hans Moleman: We paid for blood!

Where are the hail pics? ;-)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @tiderider said:

> > great stuff ... honestly don't know if i'd rate berwick below dornoch and/or TOC ... loved my round on there, absolutely loved it ... would think staying in berwick would be a treat next time ...

>

> It's a great course. Royal Dornoch was a lot tougher for me for some reason (maybe not having much game at the start of the trip last year was a factor, lol) but the experience at The Old Course by far number one for me and then for courses from a playing perspective, Royal Dornoch, North Berwick and **Royal Troon** are all right there and all for different reasons as places I could play every day and not get tired of playing them. Lucky to have finally made the opportunities happen.

I have to say I think Royal Troon gets a bit of a raw deal out of all the Open venues in terms of rankings. Personally I think its a tremendous course. The first 6/7 holes give you false hope of a score before she really bites you on the way home.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

> @thecraw said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @tiderider said:

> > > great stuff ... honestly don't know if i'd rate berwick below dornoch and/or TOC ... loved my round on there, absolutely loved it ... would think staying in berwick would be a treat next time ...

> >

> > It's a great course. Royal Dornoch was a lot tougher for me for some reason (maybe not having much game at the start of the trip last year was a factor, lol) but the experience at The Old Course by far number one for me and then for courses from a playing perspective, Royal Dornoch, North Berwick and **Royal Troon** are all right there and all for different reasons as places I could play every day and not get tired of playing them. Lucky to have finally made the opportunities happen.

>

> I have to say I think Royal Troon gets a bit of a raw deal out of all the Open venues in terms of rankings. Personally I think its a tremendous course. The first 6/7 holes give you false hope of a score before she really bites you on the way home.

Some key up and downs on the way home helped me avoid getting bitten badly, and IMO you are right on with your assessment. The first few holes, from the fairway, are pretty welcoming, nice serene walk, etc. But, not boring (you aren't saying that), which is the impression some seem to give of a lot of the front nine - for me, it was great. Still some bunkers to avoid, strategy off the tee and in how to approach the greens and it's always fascinating to me to watch how links bunkers seem to funnel balls into them that you just don't think will be "caught". Now, I'm sure it's a different story with more wind and a bit of weather and the day we played those defenses really weren't an issue at all. The front nine of North Berwick I guess could be argued to be more interesting for some unique approaches, more elevation changes to my memory, but I loved both courses.

> @davep043 said:

> I'm glad to see that you enjoyed The Glen. I played it last year, and I'm glad I did. Its not a "great" course, but its scenic and fun, and a decent challenge, and very reasonably priced. After the round having a pint in the clubhouse, the locals could not have been more welcoming, a really good experience all around. You're right, the geologic setting on that rocky headland makes it play more like a parkland course, it just doesn't have the natural sand base of a true links. On the other hand, that setting gives it amazing views.

Your experience was a factor in wanting to play the course!

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > I'm glad to see that you enjoyed The Glen. I played it last year, and I'm glad I did. Its not a "great" course, but its scenic and fun, and a decent challenge, and very reasonably priced. After the round having a pint in the clubhouse, the locals could not have been more welcoming, a really good experience all around. You're right, the geologic setting on that rocky headland makes it play more like a parkland course, it just doesn't have the natural sand base of a true links. On the other hand, that setting gives it amazing views.

>

>

> Your experience was a factor in wanting to play the course!

Thanks for letting me know. Now I'm REALLY glad you enjoyed it, I'd have felt bad otherwise. So often we (me included) want to play the famous and highly respected courses. My friend set up my last trip, and picked The Glen, a course I'd have stayed away from. I've told him a bunch of times what a good job he did overall, and in selecting The Glen in particular. Its a nice reminder that a golf course can be great fun without being a great golf course.

Except for the pro at Barassie who was formerly the pro at West Kilbride, and my caddie at Royal Troon, I got some blank looks from a couple other caddies and even a couple folks in the clubhouse at Prestwick and at Royal Troon when they asked where else we had or were playing and I mentioned that course. I loved it!

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> Except for the pro at Barassie who was formerly the pro at West Kilbride, and my caddie at Royal Troon, I got some blank looks from a couple other caddies and even a couple folks in the clubhouse at Prestwick and at Royal Troon when they asked where else we had or were playing and I mentioned West Kilbride. I loved it!