2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

Well I've been eyeing the L4V for a looong time, and just found one at a local store, 9* L4VX, with a real Blueboard 63X, for only 80 bucks.

That cheap, I figured I'd give it a shot. Just played today and...WOW. Sounds like a damn trashcan, but good lord did I hit some bombs. I don't see this thing leaving the bag anytime soon. I haven't had that good of a driving round in years.

Ping G410 LST 10.5* Tour AD BB-6
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 13.5* Kai'li 70
Callaway Apex Hybrid 18* Tour AD DI-85
Callaway Apex Pro 19 4-PW Nippon Modus 120

Callaway MDF 50* Nippon Modus 125

Callaway MD4 54*/58* Nippon WV125
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 Squareback

[quote name='gonewild' date='07 January 2010 - 08:36 AM' timestamp='1262867769' post='2166552']
[quote name='blade_man' post='2145476' date='Dec 27 2009, 08:50 AM']OK, its after Christmas and lots of us have new equipment, I'm just wondering how many of us that use the L4V have switched to another driver this year. I for one am sticking with the Cobra until I find "that magic club" to replace it but that being said I'm not looking very hard right now. Still haven't tried the FT9 so that may be in the future.
Come on guys "fess" up and let me know if you're still drinking the Kool Aid![/quote]

I confess, my wife bought me a Ping G15 w/whiteboard for Christmas. I was able to play just 9 holes before the snow and sub freezing temperatures moved in so no real comparison yet. I'm leaving for 4 days of golf in Myrtle Beach next week, so I should know more after that. I will never get rid of my L4V, it's been to good to me. I have been thinking about pulling the grafalloy platinum shaft I have in it and putting something in that 46" or 47" just to experiment a little.
[/quote]

As long as this has been brought back to the 1st page, I'll update my situation. The G15 is now gone and I pulled the platnium in my L4V, replaced it with a axivcore black and shot by first under par round today since my return to the game. I'm so addicted to this driver, I need to buy another to have as a backup.

[b]As long as this has been brought back to the 1st page, I'll update my situation. The G15 is now gone and I pulled the platnium in my L4V, replaced it with a axivcore black and shot by first under par round today since my return to the game. I'm so addicted to this driver, I need to buy another to have as a backup.
[/quote][/b]

I have entertained the idea of the G15. However, my L4V is still a great stick. How did the G15 compare?

[quote name='kanzaclimber' date='04 April 2010 - 11:27 PM' timestamp='1270438061' post='2360984']
[b]As long as this has been brought back to the 1st page, I'll update my situation. The G15 is now gone and I pulled the platnium in my L4V, replaced it with a axivcore black and shot by first under par round today since my return to the game. I'm so addicted to this driver, I need to buy another to have as a backup.
[/quote][/b]

I have entertained the idea of the G15. However, my L4V is still a great stick. How did the G15 compare?
[/quote]

The G15 had a very solid feel, more muted than the L4V, very forgiving, I for some reason struggled to control it. I may try another one later with a different shaft (had a whiteboard in mine) because it did impress me that much, but for now the Cobra is still king.

I still have my L4V-X with the PM702 stiff in 44 1/2. So far, the only thing that's knocked it out of the bag is a Ping G10 7.5*. I launch the L4VX way too high, even with my 702 in there while the G10 is just right, knuckling it down lower and more added distance as a consequence. For some reason, I'm still keeping my L4VX as it is still the straightest but I might "soften" the 702 by adding 1 1/2 inch to it to make it 46" instead of 44 1/2. Who know, a comeback could always happen...

L4V RAWK ON!

PS Nice to see this thread on Page 1 :clapping:

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Still playing a F 9.0 with a rombax 6z08.. One of the ugliest sounds you'll hear out of a driver.. but can't find an easier driver to hit so it's staying in the bag.

the shaft is just icing on the cake.. real stable and dispersion is tight.

917D3 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi Tour Ltd 60-04
915F 15 Speeder Evo 661S Blue
716 T-MB 2 Project X LZ 6.0
716 T-MB 4 Modus3 125S
714 AP2 Modus3 125S
SC Buttonback Newport 34"
TVD M 50/54
TVD V 60

[quote name='Skaffa77' date='04 April 2010 - 09:02 PM' timestamp='1270440175' post='2361033']
Holy crap! I have that same exact combo (L4V-X w/PM702 Stiff) in a 44.75". Phenomenal club!!

Oddly enough, I just played a round with a guy I haven't seen since high school. He was hitting a G10 7.5* w/Prolaunch Red. He hit that thing with a perfect trajectory....
[/quote]

Holy crap alright...you my evil twin on the other side of the coast :rolleyes: & :cheesy:

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I'm still sporting this driver too. I used to have a 10*F with a Protopype 60-S but I started hitting it way too high and I had a tendency to hit the occasional snap hook. Now I have a 9*X model with a 63g Stiff BB in it and its a lot lower and less likely to go left, and I'm back in business. This thin is still a beast and I LOVE how every time I'm playing with someone and they're having a bad driving day I let them hit my driver and they put one in the fairway. Most forgiving driver I have ever hit and one of the longest.

I have both the 9015D with a Saga and L4V X with the stock Redboard. I finally put some serious time with the L4V on the range before my round on Saturday. I think as far as distance goes, it's just too close to call, but the L4V was a little more consistent so I gamed it instead of the 9015D.

Played with a guy, probably 10 years younger than me, with a new Machspeed, definitely stronger kid, about 1 1/2 club longer than me on irons for sure, but out-drove him every time when it came to pulling out the driver. :D Absolutely hate the sound. I'm not going to mess around with the shaft, I actually believe it fits me well.

I am having really good success with ZL and whiteboard right now but I do have a L4V X sitting in the corner.
I am thinking about pulling the blueboard out of mp600 and giving it a try in the L4V. Although the whiteboard seems to fit my
swing better than the blueboard but not comparing apples to apples between ZL and MP600. Just curious if anyone has compared
these two shafts with L4V.

Thanks

Wow, I remember when this thread was started. I wanted one of these so bad, and now I've had one for about a year. Getting it reshafted at the moment with a UST Axivcore 77-x. Very excited to give this combo a try.

Yes, this driver compares favorably with the new guys out there, and there's no reason other than personal preferance to take it out of the bag.

I too keep coming back to my L4VX, i have almost unloaded it several times but so glad i held onto it. been through probably 5 drivers since, with the latest being a rapture V2 9 deg. with the stock blueboard in x-flex. i have an axiv-black 79 in x-flex tipped a half inch in the L4VX now after an epic and blueboard 73 in x flex, and so far i think the Axivcore is the best combo. FWIW, i like the rapture v2 and it feels and sounds better than the cobra, but the distance is pretty much the same and the cobra is more accurate for me because i miss left much more with the rapture.

• 3 weeks later...

I like duckies in the springtime

Played yesterday with an 8* /8ZO8 robo-pheus.gif... Ummmm ... ballspeed. I forgot how easy these were to hit ... and stupid long ... L4 is still breathin ;) ... Not as long as ZL ... close ... but the easiest to hit driver I own.

Thinking aout geting a 9015D ... afterall - it's the SECOND biggest thread ... NOT !!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: rasp.gif

gandalf.gifgandalf.gifgandalf.gifgandalf.gif

Superfast going out today for its first run

the ho in me has been looking to boot the L4V for sometime now. Ive tried the Sumo, Dymo, FTI, and im sure a few others... but they have failed. yesterday i got to test my new g15... it has officially booted the L4V from the bag.

G430 Max 9*

Ping G25 20*

Ping G425 26*
Ping i500 5-W
Ping Glide Forged 50*/54* 
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 2  58*
Ping PLD Custom DS72H 

[quote name='TAG617' date='07 May 2010 - 10:18 AM' timestamp='1273245524' post='2427125']
Finally got my SAGA in mine WOAH!. Played 9 after I picked it up. Didn't miss one fairway. I freaking love this driver even more now. I still want a ZL but my L4 won't go anywhere for sure...
[/quote]

Best combo available. Saga is $. The G15 does seem to be nice however.

I currently hit the 9015d and my natural swing normally generates a straight ball or a bit of a fade, but was looking for a bit more consistency. Took a flyer on the L4V F 10.0 deg w/ stock Diamana Red S and absolutely [b]cannot [/b]keep the ball down. Seriously, I've never seen a driver launch this high before - I'm not even sure how it's possible from a physics perspective. I'm normally not a high-ball hitter (thus the 10 degree head), and I'm reasonably clueless when it comes to equipment - could it be the stock shaft, or should I just relegate this one to the resell pile?

It's def. the stock shaft. I had the same situation with the stock diamana. I was playing a stiff and was still hitting these moonshots. Went to a Prolaunch Red and that brought it down too much for my swing. Threw a Harrison SAGA in there and now it's perfect nice mid flight and lots of roll.

I suggest trying out the SAGA for $60 it can't be beat IMO...