2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

Another few weeks with the L4, more positive feedback. The club has now been with me for some of my best rounds of the year. I played a very familiar course the other day and, club for club, it is as long as anything I've hit. Really, the separating factor is the dispersion of shots. Straight, straight, straight! No hooks or slices, just a slight push for a miss.

I picked up another 9* X head with a Cinnamon X at 44" in it. I'm going to give it a side by side course run this week and I'll report the findings.

Z

I can't wait for the feedback on this one. The Cinnamon was pretty much money in every head I tried it in.

RC 105 V 9.5 w/ Accra CS1 370
Mizuno MP-650 w/ Diamana B80x
Tourstage X-UT w/ Thump + +
Fourteen 610 TS 3i w/ Nippon 130
Mizuno MP-4 4-pw w/ Nippon 130
Scratch D/S 56, 60 w/ Nippon 125
Byron Design DH-89 "Southpaw"

So...I have a question. I have an L4V X that I really like but it obviously needs a new shaft due to some ballooning with the stock. I was thinking about putting in an my NV-65 X but I recently picked up a Rombax 7Z08 X. I have a 120-125 SS and 175-180 ballspeed. When I got on a monitor with the stock I was launching about 13-14* (too high for me). So I guess my question is whether the Rombax would first off, lower the launch angle too much, and secondly be too stiff for me (2.5 torque). Should I go with the NV65 X (3.5 torque) instead? thanks!

So...I have a question. I have an L4V X that I really like but it obviously needs a new shaft due to some ballooning with the stock. I was thinking about putting in an my NV-65 X but I recently picked up a Rombax 7Z08 X. I have a 120-125 SS and 175-180 ballspeed. When I got on a monitor with the stock I was launching about 13-14* (too high for me). So I guess my question is whether the Rombax would first off, lower the launch angle too much, and secondly be too stiff for me (2.5 torque). Should I go with the NV65 X (3.5 torque) instead? thanks!

If that 120-125 SS is true......the isn't much out there that is too stiff for you

Scott

Well, I guess I'll be partying with my L4V for a little while longer...the L5V fund was directed a Byron Morgan Channel Island putter instead, http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=211000

Might be a good thing, hopefully there may be a L6V coming along :D

Keep the Cobra L4V Kool Aid going fellas....

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Okay, I've found my shaft. True Temper X-7A3 Proto....think Whiteboard on roids! If you guys in the 115-125mph range can get your hands on one....do it!

Based soley on Stage1350's comments I am trying to track down the 8A version. I am VERY curious how it works for you - I keep hearing the same thing as you described.

Keep us up to speed

And swingblues ... L4 is KING ... Did ya see Camillo & J.B. yesterday .... L4s BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!! robo-pheus.gif

No doubt :bow: robopti :bow: - everytime I take it out, it's going longer and longer. Now that it's spined by Pat Dempsey, it is very much straighter. As a person that once sat on the fence with spining, man - it works for me! That reminds me, I'll need to post some before and after picks to show you guys what the shaft was doing with the head...it is a shock and does explain the strong draw I was constantly getting.

Sidenote, according to Pat, the PM702 is still one of Zuback's favourite shaft...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I purchased L4V X with PM702 last month off ebay for cheap but I didn't have a great start. Then again, I wasn't having greatest time with Tour Burner TP either so it's not the driver so after couple weeks of trying to fix my swing, things came together and holy batman, L4V is a beast. The ball comes off so fast, I can't look up fast enough and track the ball. My buddy couldn't keep up either. Very forgiving for sure. Goes a loooooong way. Yesterday, I thought I mishit and it still went over 300 yards away. Overall, I give it an edge over Tour Burner TP driver! On par 4 360 yards with a freaking tree right in the middle that is probably 250 yards away and the ball ended up hitting the top branch of the tree and fell straight down instead of at the green which would have one of the best drives in my life....

Okay, I've found my shaft. True Temper X-7A3 Proto....think Whiteboard on roids! If you guys in the 115-125mph range can get your hands on one....do it!

Based soley on Stage1350's comments I am trying to track down the 8A version. I am VERY curious how it works for you - I keep hearing the same thing as you described.

Keep us up to speed

And swingblues ... L4 is KING ... Did ya see Camillo & J.B. yesterday .... L4s BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!! robo-pheus.gif

It's been so friggin cold here that I haven't had a chance to hit it again. I just picked up an 8A1 for my three wood and can't wait to give it a go.

I was in Edwin Watts recently and a guy was letting me compare my Orlimar Hip Ti to some modern drivers. I saw the L4v sitting there and I remembered seeing this thread and all the posts and rave reviews..

To be honest, It about shattered my freaking ear drums when I hit it. I thought It was a one of the worst sounding drivers I have ever hit in my life. I honestly found nothing special about it at all in any form or fashion. I give it a big thumbs down. :bad:

I was in Edwin Watts recently and a guy was letting me compare my Orlimar Hip Ti to some modern drivers. I saw the L4v sitting there and I remembered seeing this thread and all the posts and rave reviews..

To be honest, It about shattered my freaking ear drums when I hit it. I thought It was a one of the worst sounding drivers I have ever hit in my life. I honestly found nothing special about it at all in any form or fashion. I give it a big thumbs down. :bad:

I believe I speak for the other 190,000 people who have reviewed this ... but ...

Thank you for that HIGHLY TECHNICAL - well thought out - analytical results based review .... 23_30_116.gif

You may now return to your "Two thumbs up" Hip-Ti slicedbread.gif

Well done !!!!!!!!!!!! CAZbravo.gifCAZbravo.gifCAZbravo.gifworthy.gif

I'll make sure to get in contact with my Cobra connections and advise them to get that horrible driver out of J.B. & Camillos bag ... I mean J.B. is CLEARLY giving up a lot of performance using it.

Kidwilson-

Your post should have read "To be honest, it about shattered the wall behind the net. I thought it was one of the strongest sounding drivers I have ever hit in my life. I honestly found nothing that compared to it. I give it a big thumbs up!"

Just remember, although your original post was an opinion, some people are sensitive and don't take too well to negative feedback on a 70+ page post. Afterall, this is a golf forum for all feedback, right? Take the pill or get out!

I just got back my L4V experiment from my club maker:

L4V F 9* w/ a Fujikura Fit-On E360 Stiff. The head was 208g and with the Fuji, it came out at D3 @ 44.5" and 262 cpm. With the big head and shorter shaft, it truly looks like a sledgehammer. At address, it sets up dead square, which is interesting since the F is supposed to set up closed. The face doesn't sound nearly as loud as I've heard. Bouncing Nike One Platinums off the face, it's more muted than my R7 425. I'm dying for slightly warmer weather to launch a few balls.

There was a break in the cold weather this week and I had a chance to test my new stick. It's a loooong combo, but didn't fit well for my swing. The loft was a tad low (9*) and the square face to almost open face w/ the 460cc head made it a tad difficult for me to turn it over when I wanted to. For me, great shots were mid trajectory straight shots and misses were hard cuts. Anyway, it's on the market now, if anyone's interested...check out the BST for the listing.

TaylorMade R11 9* 

Callaway XHot TC 4 Wood

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 23

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 26

Titleist AP1 5-PW

Titleist AP1 W/Vokey Satin 50
Vokey Satin 58

Kingston KP1 custom stamped
ProV1x

I still can't believe that people don't like this driver. It is like cheating. LOL.

those comments make me sick :man_in_love: I am going back to Archery Talk :partytime2:

Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Speeder 553 Tour Spec
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 16.5* Aldila RIP Alpha
Titleist T200 4-7, T100s 8-PW KBS Tour
Scratch 8620 DD 47*, 53*, 60* Aerotech SF i110
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16

Kidwilson-

Your post should have read "To be honest, it about shattered the wall behind the net. I thought it was one of the strongest sounding drivers I have ever hit in my life. I honestly found nothing that compared to it. I give it a big thumbs up!"

Just remember, although your original post was an opinion, some people are sensitive and don't take too well to negative feedback on a 70+ page post. Afterall, this is a golf forum for all feedback, right? Take the pill or get out!

Ok Gang,

I will go hide in a corner and feel ashamed. I never said the driver wasn't great for you all drinking the Kool aid. But I hit the L4v in a Small enclosed room that they have at Edwin Watts, and it busted my eardrums. Granted I was really warmed up and smashing the ball that day, But I had ringing in my ears for over a minute after I hit it. I apologize that I could not make the L4v go longer and deeper than my Orlimar. :vava:

Ok Gang,

I will go hide in a corner and feel ashamed. I never said the driver wasn't great for you all drinking the Kool aid. But I hit the L4v in a Small enclosed room that they have at Edwin Watts, and it busted my eardrums. Granted I was really warmed up and smashing the ball that day, But I had ringing in my ears for over a minute after I hit it. I apologize that I could not make the L4v go longer and deeper than my Orlimar. :vava:

It does sound much better outside. The noise goes away after you see yourself in the fairway or near it everytime... and deep down there.

At least you gave it a shot.

Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Speeder 553 Tour Spec
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 16.5* Aldila RIP Alpha
Titleist T200 4-7, T100s 8-PW KBS Tour
Scratch 8620 DD 47*, 53*, 60* Aerotech SF i110
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16

DANG ALL OF YOU!!!

I have sat on the sideline for a YEAR on this L4V thread,

#1 I am a HO,

#2 I already have over 10 drivers,

#3 I bought an L4V X of the bay for really cheap, 3balls golf (really good bunch of guys)

#4 HELP!,

#5 fairly aggressive swing with 105-6 SS, and I need a shaft,

#6 I have read a ton of these pages but still can't figure what shaft for me, (how does the BB work in it?

#7 pass the kool aid please

Kidwilson-

It's not that we don't mind that he didn't like the driver, but he gave no performance numbers to say why he didn't feel it was anything special. He opinion was based solely on sound and nothing else, he even went on to say it again in another post. Did he hit the two on the simulator, vector, what? It's apparent you don't like it either, care to tell us why and back it up with some numbers?

It's not that we don't mind that he didn't like the driver, but he gave no performance numbers to say why he didn't feel it was anything special. He opinion was based solely on sound and nothing else, he even went on to say it again in another post. Did he hit the two on the simulator, vector, what? It's apparent you don't like it either, care to tell us why and back it up with some numbers?

Ok gang,

I do not have the numbers to give. The sound alone was enough for me to know that I would never put it into play. Honestly, I do not like the look of the Driver either. The only reason I hit it was because I remembered all the Kool Aid from this thread.

I have a consistent swing and every one of the drivers I hit on the Launch monitor were pretty close. Since I can hit the sweet spot on a consistent basis with the Driver and can control it, sound and looks do become very important when making a change. Although I have not read through every page of this topic, from what I have read most of you all have had to try several different shafts to make this driver the magic combo.

The Aldila NV is the shaft that gives me the best launch angle and the most distance, as I was carrying my Orlimar 260 yards and getting some roll out. In all fairness, If I put an Aldila NV into the L4v, then it might be right up there next to my Hip Ti. But, I could say the very same thing about the Hyper X, the G10 or the Hibore XLS. Like I say, the sound and looks of the L4v would never be better than my Hip Ti. The Hip ti is the hottest, longest driver I have ever hit.

So gang,

Please allow me to have my opinion and use my freedom of speech toward the L4v ok? If I am the only person in the whole entire universe who doesn't like it, I am ok with that. I hope you all can understand.

KId

I don't think he needed numbers to back anything up. He just stated he didn't like the driver, it shouldn't matter why. Those that have read this post since day 1 like me, know better to take advice from someone like this or someone who shows hard data, BUT it shouldn't prevent people from making general comments.

This is a forum, you don't need to justify every comment with hard data- although I agree that it is nice to have. He gave his comment, that should be good enough- no reason to make him feel bad. What's the difference between what he said and someone that just says "this club is a rocket launcher" or "I can't believe how far I smash this!" These people aren't smeared because they gave such a well thought out, data filled review. Right?

And actually, I do like the L4V and since you asked, I personally have had 2 L4V's... One with a Diamana BB shaft and the other with an EPIC. I live in NYC, so don't have a lot of opportunity to get out and play, but I do get to the driving range a lot, so I know from experience where a driver stands based on the range.

For example, at Chelsea Piers here in NYC, the driving range is only 200 yards long. At the end, there is a net about 50 yards tall. There use to be a sign 25 yards up that said "250". With my current driver I can consistently hit 10 yards above where the "250" sign once was (from the bottom ground level). When I get to the course, I typically drive 275- 285 total based on my rangefinder.

No driver, even with aftermarket shafts have been more consistent in dispersion and length than my current set up. The L4's where close, but for ME it didn't work. So there you go, no hard data, but just my personal experiences that work...

I don't think he needed numbers to back anything up. He just stated he didn't like the driver, it shouldn't matter why. Those that have read this post since day 1 like me, know better to take advice from someone like this or someone who shows hard data, BUT it shouldn't prevent people from making general comments.

This is a forum, you don't need to justify every comment with hard data- although I agree that it is nice to have. He gave his comment, that should be good enough- no reason to make him feel bad. What's the difference between what he said and someone that just says "this club is a rocket launcher" or "I can't believe how far I smash this!" These people aren't smeared because they gave such a well thought out, data filled review. Right?

And actually, I do like the L4V and since you asked, I personally have had 2 L4V's... One with a Diamana BB shaft and the other with an EPIC. I live in NYC, so don't have a lot of opportunity to get out and play, but I do get to the driving range a lot, so I know from experience where a driver stands based on the range.

For example, at Chelsea Piers here in NYC, the driving range is only 200 yards long. At the end, there is a net about 50 yards tall. There use to be a sign 25 yards up that said "250". With my current driver I can consistently hit 10 yards above where the "250" sign once was (from the bottom ground level). When I get to the course, I typically drive 275- 285 total based on my rangefinder.

No driver, even with aftermarket shafts have been more consistent in dispersion and length than my current set up. The L4's where close, but for ME it didn't work. So there you go, no hard data, but just my personal experiences that work...

You're right, no one need leave hard data if they so choose, but when you drop it on a thread, any thread about a club that so many people have had such great success with a say it was nothing special, I for one want to know why. It doesn't matter where I agree with it, but I like to read both the bad and good. Data certainly helps seperate some of the crap that brand loyalist spread on here.

And no one was trying to make him or yourself feel bad. If that's what you read into my reply you need to grow some thicker skin, because it certainly wasn't.

And as far as his driver, the Orlimar HipTi's are some of the longest out there and the line doesn't often get the respect it deserves. I know a shop owner that won't consider hitting anything else because he thinks it fits him perfectly, so they are solid clubs.

ROBOPTI, I dont want to read 70+ pages but I am considering drinking the Kool-Aid and have a quick question. Do I need to get the X head for it to work for me? I have a SS of 120 and balls speeds in the 180's. My current driver is a Rapture 7.5 w/ Bimatrix and I hit it 295+ all day long

Its between this driver and the 9015D....Can you give us some head to head comparisions

Cobra Bio Cell + 661 speeder
Big Bertha 3w Fuji 8.3TS X
Apex Pro 2-PW C-Tapper X
Satori wedges
Machine M20
WITB Link

ROBOPTI, I dont want to read 70+ pages but I am considering drinking the Kool-Aid and have a quick question. Do I need to get the X head for it to work for me? I have a SS of 120 and balls speeds in the 180's. My current driver is a Rapture 7.5 w/ Bimatrix and I hit it 295+ all day long

Its between this driver and the 9015D....Can you give us some head to head comparisions

1 quick thing .... About the issue of negative reviews etc. kid - Bro - I am sorry - I honestly didnt mean to jump your case. Hey - I was having a lil case of the Mondays. Let me just say this - There have been guys who have posted ON THIS THREAD that "hey - I tried it - just not for me" - and in fairness to myself - If you actually want to read this entire topic - on several occassions - I HAVE posted basically "Hey sorry it didn't work and thanks for the feedback" - I have been posting since I 1st started this it's not and never will be for everyone - I 100000% get that - I absolutely know some will hate it. I will say say there are several OEMs I HATE !!! - will never say a good word about - but I NEVER post it - UNLESS asked. I never go on a thread and just unload - bcuz there will always be a group - no matter how obscure the brand - who will enjoy talking about it - and there is just no need to pee on their parade. I adopt the "If you dont have anything good to say - then say nothing" approach kind of. But I DO like reading the good & bad - we all get to see what didn't work and why - I have NEVER dismissed someone's opinion - and I will let my own posts which can read back that up. It was just the "sounded aweful .... GARBAGE" comment thing that got me. I mean - thats a tad swift - but hey

OLIVE BRANCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .... We all know Cobras are loud usually ;)

NYGOLF was right to a degree - I could have worded my response better - LETS START OVER !!!!!!!!

kid ... Give it a chance ... It's pretty good ... Just hit it outside :lol: :lol:

Brando ... Hmmmmm ... well

Coming from a 7.5 Rapture (which is an AWESOME head) / BiMatrix combo - Knowing nothing about your swing - That's a pretty low launching / failrly low spin combo - prob not too low given your speed. But L4 is going to launch higher - so be prepared.

1 thing I have noticed - from MANY MANY people who use / tried the L4 is that the guys with BIG swingspeed - 120+ - they sometimes will notice that the X head will juuuuuussssttttttt slightly leak off to the right at the end of the flight - but I think that is more at longer length combos. That's not to say it won't draw - cuz it does - but I think the extra head weight causes it to just ever so slightly comes thru a tiny but open at impact. And we're talking about a tiny 2-3 yard fade - If ytou like hitting a MONSTER power cut - The 9* X is your head.

If you are OK with seeing a higher ball flight - DEF !!!!!!!!!!! go X ... also given your speed - and assuming your spin rates are damn good with that combo - PLEASE TRUST ME !!!!!!!!!!! - go the shorter / heavier combo route - the 44.50- 44.0 - with an 80-80+gram shaft. The L4 is IMMENSELY more forgiving - it will not be as "workable" as that Rapture - but you will notice it is DUMB easy to hit - and at your speed - It will BOMB !!!!!!!!! ... Just take a look at the BEATDOWN Holmes has been putting on courses lately - Jesus. You will lose NOTHING being a tad shorter - TRUST ME !!!!!!!

FYI - His combo (Holmes) - to the best of my knowledge - Is a plain jane 9* X head - 208 grams - just like all of us -Aldila VooDoo XVS8 (untipped I believe ) at 44.5 - poss 45 - length I am not sure on - but I believe 44.5.

The F would prob draw too much for you and hit a tad too high ... Also - You might like the new S9 coming out soon too ;) ... I could DEF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! see you hitting 8.5 L5 with a similiar shaft to yours. That would be killer for a guy from 7.5 Rapture (assuming it is a true loft head).

But for L4 - THE KING of forgivness and firepower - again - just watch a vid of Holmes - or Camillo for that matter - DEF !!! go X

Yell if I can help !!!!!!!!!!!!!

and again ... kid .... SORRY !!!!!!!!!! :friends:

how does this thing stand in the MOI race, is it as straight as an ft-i or a sumo 5900?

It is a LEGIT 5900 MOI ...

IMO !!!!

STRAIGHTER than FT-I easily ...

5900 Sumo2 MIGHT !!!!!!!!!!! be a tad straighter - It is just crazy straight - My problem with the Sumo2 was that is was very very short for me - I couldnt get it to go anywhere.

The differences would be fractional. I do think the L4 is MUCH !!!!!!! more forgiving than either - whcih is what makes it so much more superior to the other 2. Again - Just my 2 cents