A Cheaper Alternative To The Newport Squareback

jick

Cameron borrowing ideas again?
I was so interested in the Macgregor Bobby Grace Face-Off DCT putter because of its advertised technology and the independent tests conducted by Golf Magazine. I decided to get one in eBay.

When I opened the box and looked at the putter, I noticed so many similarities to the Newport Squareback photos out in the net. But wait a minute, the Squareback hasn't been out yet, but the DCT1 has been out for a while now.

I realized that the similarities between the DCT1 and Squareback were there. Coincidental? Perhaps. Cameron borrowing ideas again? He has done it before. In the end it is up to you to decide.

But with the prices the DCT1 is going for now, there is no question that it is cheaper than whatever price Cameron will come up with for his Squareback (based on his pricepoints for previous putters). Based on the pics, my personal opinion is that the DCT1 has a better flow to the lines.

The DCT1 has tested technology, has a futuristic industrial look, and doesn't exactly have a face insert but an entirely interchangeable face.

So if you can't wait for the Newport Squareback to come out in the market, or if you want a cheaper alternative, or something with more technology behind it, then don't hesitate to give the DCT1 a spin. The yellow isn't as bad as it looks on the pics because it is matte and metallic.

Here are comparison pics between the DCT1, an original Newport Teryllium (which I refinished myself), and my gamer which is a Studio Stainless Mid Sur (whose sightline I painted red):

PB131438.jpg
PB131434.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh? That looks nothing like a Squareback. Have you even seen a Squareback to make that accusation?

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

At the end of the day all of these are variations on the Anser theme. Scotty is not the only one that has copied one of the two most popular putter styles ever (8802 being the other).

I don't get all of this discussion about "stealing" putter designs. The Anser is generally acknowleged as the most copied of all time buy lot's of people who make great putters, not necesarrily the same as PING makes them.

I for one am strongly considering a 350 milled which is a Scottsdale design, but is different than anything I could by from PING.

I'm not a Scotty owner but shouldn't we give a rest.

Titleist TSR2 10* Hzrdus Red
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Red
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

I've said it on another board and I'll say it here...putters that don't remind you of anything are the ones that don't sell.

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Yes, the Squareback does look like that. Anybody that says any different doesn't see very well or they're willfully blind. That said, like the posters above, I'm sick of all this tattle-tale, who-copied-who nonsense. I think everyone should just be glad we're able to make the decision to buy, or not, and we have a lot of great putters to choose from. Just like my feelings toward politics...I'm tired of all the negativity.

Yes, the Squareback does look like that. Anybody that says any different doesn't see very well or they're willfully blind.

How so? That they are both derived from an Anser design? That's where the similarities end. The Squareback is considerably wider than the DCT1 from face to bumpers.

46-99715.jpg

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Yes, the Squareback does look like that. Anybody that says any different doesn't see very well or they're willfully blind.

How so? That they are both derived from an Anser design? That's where the similarities end. The Squareback is considerably wider than the DCT1 from face to bumpers.

46-99715.jpg

The hosel placement's a little different and the topline's a little thicker on the Face Off and the flange may be extended a little more on the Squareback, but both are clearly Anser/Newport heads that have been extended, presumably in an effort to increase the MOI like a mallet. They're certainly not exact copies, but the technology and general headshape is the same. Regardless of your feelings about any particular putter maker, I don't see how anybody can REASONABLY disagree.

I'd also like to reiterate that I'm tired of all the negativity. Both look like very nice putters.

46-99715.jpg

The hosel placement's a little different and the topline's a little thicker on the Face Off and the flange may be extended a little more on the Squareback, but both are clearly Anser/Newport heads that have been extended, presumably in an effort to increase the MOI like a mallet. They're certainly not exact copies, but the technology and general headshape is the same. Regardless of your feelings about any particular putter maker, I don't see how anybody can REASONABLY disagree.

I'd also like to reiterate that I'm tired of all the negativity. Both look like very nice putters.

Believe me, there's no negativity in my posts in regards to this thread. To me, it is an obvious size difference that differentiates the Squareback and the DCT1. The DCT1 looks more like a Newport than a Squareback IMHO. You saying "Anybody that says any different doesn't see very well or they're willfully blind" is a pretty ignorant statement, considering the differences are obvious.

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

I edited my post, deleting most of it as it must have been written while I was experiencing attitudanul difficulties.

Yes, the Bobby Grace may indeed be a less expensive alternative to the Squareback. It has some serious differences, but the thought of an oversize Anser style head is still intact. I haven't had a chance to roll either of them, but would do so, if for nothing else than to be able to give a personal comparison.

I really do doubt that Scotty drew any inspiration from Bobby's design, but it is possible.

Sorry for adding a bit of drama for a while to a post that was mostly harmless. Roll them both and then decide......................if you can get at the Squareback. That pick-up of the DCT for $89 sounds pretty good.

Like I said, JMHO,

LaMont in AZ

Believe me, there's no negativity in my posts in regards to this thread. To me, it is an obvious size difference that differentiates the Squareback and the DCT1. The DCT1 looks more like a Newport than a Squareback IMHO. You saying "Anybody that says any different doesn't see very well or they're willfully blind" is a pretty ignorant statement, considering the differences are obvious.

Okay...I don't want to get into a pi$$ing contest about this. I guess we have different definitions of the word ignorant...as well as what it means to say something looks "the same." I'm well-informed, and I can see. I never said they were the same putter. There ARE obvious differences, and I think I even pointed the most obvious of those differences out in a prior post. That doesn't mean they don't look the same, or at least very similar (maybe saying they look "the same" is where the disagreement lies...by saying "the same," I don't mean identical) and aren't designs based on the same technology.

I believe these putters are very similar in both look and design and are based on the same technology. You have every right to disagree.

I would also like to reiterate what I said in my first post in this thread. I'd like to have a take-back of my "doesn't see well" or "willfully blind" comment. I should've known better.

I can't believe that nobody has accused Grace of stealing the interchangable faces from STX. If you're going to bring this thread to a boil, let's do it right.

I look forward to the original design that creates a new class of putter. The Anser has been done to death, mainly by Karsten before everyone else even jumped on the bandwagon. If anything, I'm amazed that there aren't more Zing styles out there. The Zing design was created in order to give better heel-toe weighting than Anser.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I can't believe that nobody has accused Grace of stealing the interchangable faces from STX. If you're going to bring this thread to a boil, let's do it right.

I look forward to the original design that creates a new class of putter. The Anser has been done to death, mainly by Karsten before everyone else even jumped on the bandwagon. If anything, I'm amazed that there aren't more Zing styles out there. The Zing design was created in order to give better heel-toe weighting than Anser.

Well, you do have the Cameron Lagunas but you are right as we do not see many versions of the Zing.

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Interesting comment about the STX. When I put the putter in play (and I have only done so once), one of my flightmates commented how it was like the STX. I don't know about the STX and haven't seen it, but I do believe you who say Bobby Grace borrowed from this design.

One thing I noticed about the club is that the hosel/plumber's neck is cast. It is quite obvious because anyone who is familiar with cast and milled can tell the difference between the sharper and straighter edges versus the more uneven look of the case. However, after the neck, there are milling marks all over the head which may mean that the neck was wielded to the body.

I thought this is interested to see real world in-hand comparison pics of the three putters because there is hardly any interest in these technologically advanced putters and it is hardly discussed in the putter boards.

The downside to this putter is that the feel is so muted, especially in the sweetspot. It sometimes feels more solid actually if you mishit it.

Perhaps it may have been a lapse in judgment to say that Cameron "borrowed" from Bobby Grace, and it may not be entirely the same putter. But I still stand by my statement that this putter may be a "cheaper alternative" to the Newport Squareback, for those people who are Scottsdale Anser fan and want that boxier look. The bonus for the DCT is that is has some technology in it, and that it is much cheaper. I snagged mine for $89 on eBay.

jick are you working for another company? It seems like a barage of anti Cameron propoganda.

As easy as it would be to believe that...

I think he's just stoking the fire and starting conversation. More or less the point of a forum.

A lot MORE than less on his Cameron topics. However I agree totally the forum is here just for this.

Jick,

Is there a reason that all your recent posts concerning Scotty Cameron follow a similar (negative) pattern?

Fall of the Cameron Empire/ Disappointment at rust in a Circle T/ should Titleist split from Scotty/shock horror could Scotty have "borrowed" inspiration for the Squareback from BG.

What I can't work out after all this is why you then game a Cameron. The negativity presented as a question or heads up about rust seems to be becoming a theme.

Why not keep it positive?

That Aint Billy Bob!!

I seem to remember more than a few Cameron guys NOT posting positive about Bettinardi in the past.

Don't dish out what you aren't willing to eat. And criticism can be constructive instead of just being complaints.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

My Byron Nexus "reminds" me of the Squareback, it's from 2001. It isn't as pronounced, but is larger than a regular newport. Sorry no address pic, the pics are older and my camera is still boxed away from moving.

I am embarrassed to say that I had forgotten about that putter from John Byron Golf. It was indeed a fair amount larger than the Anser, mostly in face to heel measurement, right? The first time I visited Byron's shop, this putter was still in prototype stage. Yeah, it has been a while.

Your putter must be a pretty rare piece, being left handed. It looks awesome.

Thanks for bringing this one back to the table and if you have a pic from address, that would be great to see. I am curious now, as to the difference in depth.

Thanks again,

LaMont in AZ

I really dont understand the copncept of people getting so upset about a golf club. What do you think we would be driving if no one refined/replicated the first car? :bb2:

Driver: M1 2016
Fairway: Jet Speed Tour
Hybrid: Adams Tour Proto 19˚
DI: Mizuno FliHi 18º
Irons: 714 AP2 4-PW
Wedges: Callaway Tour Grind 52˚ & 58˚
Putter: Spider CS Original