Axe Xcaliber Superlite driver shaft

Rapidcat

Anyone have any experience with these?

I want to experiment with a lightweight driver shaft and can pick up one of these cheap. I like Xcaliber shafts and have had success with the 6+ model in stiff in both driver and fairway woods.

I know the Superlite has a quite different performance than the 6+.

My driver ss is low 100's mph and I have a reasonably strong transition and fast tempo. I'm worried that I may overpower the Superlite in stiff, the torque @ 4.8 is a concern. Robin Arthur does design robust shafts though.

Any thoughts, also about lightweight driver shafts in general? Just interested to explore this for a bit of variety.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect that I may be barking up the wrong tree with this idea.

Tipping is a possible solution but on reflection my timing maybe an issue with a lightweight driver shaft.

Out of covid lockdown boredom I purchased a 2nd hand Cobra Fly 3/4 fairway wood with an Aldila Tour Blue ATX85 @ 43 inches - I wanted a larger footprint 3 wood to have as a mini driver type but still playable off the deck alternative in my bag - and had a chance to hit it today at my local range which has just re-opened. Just loved it, nice responsive clubface and easy to elevate off the mat even at 13 deg loft selected and just fantastic off a low tee.

Whilst I was very happy with the head, the star was the shaft, for my SS it was just so smooth, stable and responsive and nice mid trajectory. This is an 84 gram shaft in stiff.

So experimenting with a 55 gram driver shaft is probably a waste of time for me (but still possibly fun).

Thanks those that have viewed this thread.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Lightweight shafts give me nothing but trouble... I’ve got a fairly fast swing and depend on timing and feel to hit the ball well... a light shaft throws both way off for me.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

If your driver swing is 100 the S flex of the Superlite 55 Should fit you pretty well. I am in the 108 range and I tip the 55 shafts 1". Its a very smooth feeling shaft that holds up to a strong swing. But that's more of a tempo based shaft

But if you are that aggressive I would lean towards the Pro TSL. That shaft is more like a super light weight 6* The TSL is a shaft you can absolutely hammer and it doesn't talk back. Yet it still remains remarkably smooth.

The Pro TSL does not perform like a super lite shaft.

Once you live with a super lite shaft that specs out right for you, you'll never look back.

Thanks Popeye, I should clarify that I have a choice of either stiff or tour stiff flex in the original series of Xcaliber Superlites (the burgundy and white shafts) not the current models. I'm leaning now more towards the tour stiff.

What's also coloring my thinking is that I have among my drivers a Ping G25 with a 58 g still shaft @ 4.8 torque (TFC 189 shaft) and I just can't get consistency with that shaft, particularly when I go at a drive my misses are hard left in among the occasional baby draw bomb. This shaft feels like it plays softer than stiff. Obviously a different shaft but spooks me a little with anything light that isn't robust enough.

I expect the Xcaliber SL in stiff will be stiffer than the Ping shaft, I am convinced that the tour stiff will be stiffer again, the Xcaliber's seem to have a reputation as been strong shafts but not boardy, that is my experience with the the 6+ in stiff (again, the original model, burgundy color, not the current model).

One final element if you (or anyone) care to offer an opinion....I play the 6+ stiff well when I am swinging well, if I am a little undercooked or a little off my swing it can be a bit of a chore, this doesn't happen often but can happen if I am swinging say at 98 mph rather than 103mph. Does this comment suggest that the tour stiff will be a little to much for me, I'm thinking not due to the lower shaft weight of the Superlite to the 6+.

Again, thanks to all who have responded.

• 4 weeks later...

So thought I would update this thread on my progress with this. I got myself one of these from my local supplier (Melbourne, Australia) with some original shaft stock:
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/A4AYBXCGWK7O/image.png[/img]Went with the Tour Stiff and installed it at 45.5 inches in a light weight Cobra Bio Cell driver head which I am am experimenting with some lead tape to get my set-up just right. Currently swing weighting at D4.1 with a little lead tape, can bring it down to D2.0 with no lead tape - I like to feel the head and I like a driver SW of D3 or D4.
Very early days - have had a couple of range sessions and will need a few more yet but I am really pleased with how much better this is evolving than I expected. Coming out of the Covid lockdown and some time away before that too resting a tennis elbow, this experiment is happening in parallel with rediscovering my swing so maybe not quite ideal, I don't know.
Starting to get my timing happening with this light weight set-up and have had some swings where the ball has felt like it has been shot from a cannon, very explosive (noting that I am a late releaser so know how that feels but this is even more so than typical for me).
Really glad I chose to go tour stiff over the stiff, the lighter weight shaft @ 51 grams needs the TS over the S for me (remembering that I play the S in my other 'normal' weight Xcaliber shafts, I feel the TS in this lighter weight feels about equivalent in stiffness to the S in my Xcaliber 6+ driver shaft - maybe a tad less stiff, it does feel nicely stable even at the higher torque 4.5 vs 3.1).
Will experiment with the head weight in the 45.5 inch shaft, plus may also bring length down to 45 inches, we'll see. Once I have got the feel how I like, I will take it to a simulator and get some numbers.
So @Popeye64 , your comment "Once you live with a super lite shaft that specs out right for you, you'll never look back" has real potential for me.
Will update this thread in future after more testing. Very interesting so far and good fun.

I'm glad you were able to score that shaft. It is true that the lighter weight shafts can be played with the stiffer flex. In the simulator you might see a jump in swingspeed with the lighter shaft.

One thing I have noticed with the lighter shafts later in a round. You still feel fresh stepping up to the tees. A round that you are grinding out mentally and physically with a heavier driver shaft can wear you out some.

Have fun with it.

Cheers - I discovering that lighter weight shafts are also good for pounding more drives at the range and avoiding fatigue.

One last point - having now played 3 Xcaliber shaft models I have to say how impressed I am with these shafts . All stable, very one piece in feel but not boardy - it's like they have the tiniest movement just to feel the club head but in no way are they 'kicky', really satisfying shafts to use. Shafts are very personal and these really work for me.