How about a rules question?

Is ice cream a natural object or an artificial object? My answer from the Definitions is that it's an obstruction.

Is the obstruction movable or immovable? My answer is "it depends."

The Definitions charge us to use them to determine if the obstruction "can be moved with reasonable effort" or

"Cannot be moved without unreasonable effort or without damaging the obstruction or the course, and otherwise does not meet the definition of a movable obstruction."

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Fear not Mr Bean, I wasn't going to let this one finish without a rules discussion. It was a question that lent itself (intentionally) to both fun and an interesting rules element. Sawgrass already made a serious rules observation much earlier that I support, that it could be treated as an immovable obstruction - in the case where it cannot be fully removed so doesn't meet the definition of an MO. As a processed product it qualifies as an obstruction.

Another rules friend suggested it could be considered equivalent to saliva - which uses a 20.3 style argument - if it is not covered in the rules what is the closest fair treatment under the rules. This would mean it could be treated as an LI or temporary water (based on Loose Impediment/3).

I don't think a referee would be getting it 'wrong' with either approach although I prefer the IO version.

To me the closest thing in the Rules would be manufactured ice, although there is no such thing as natural ice cream. In the case of manufactured ice it would be MO (or IO, depending on the size of the cube) until it has melted into water. In the case of ice cream even melted ice cream could be considered as obstruction but this brings us to the interesting part.

Molten ice cream is a liquid, well to be absolutely precise, a dispersion, in most cases an emulsion. Also milk is an emulsion. If there is a puddle of milk on the ground would that be an obstruction? Same goes with any manufactured liquid, like coffee, tea, lemonade, beer, etc. And can a liquid / dispersion be an obstruction in the first place? This brings into the picture lots of other stuff like skin lotions, sun lotions, wet paint, etc.

I suppose the easiest way would be to treat all liquids excluding water (but including ice cream and sap) like saliva, i.e. Loose Impediment or Temporary Water.

I'd probably be on the side of treating it like a MO. I don't think you can treat it like Saliva because it is a manufactured substance whereas Saliva can be argued to be a natural substance. What I do ponder though, is can you use water to wash away the ice cream and if your ball moves during the process, simply replace it to it's original spot.

I'd be surprised if RBs have not already ruled on interference with such non-water liquids/emulsions/gels as we are discussing - but I haven't heard an official answer. I wouldn't be at all surprised if LI/temporary water is the official answer. Any volunteers for a US-based person to call it in to our USGA friends?

I'd be really surprised if that were true... in the USGA definitions they have already indicated that -

Dew and frost are not temporary water.Snow and natural ice (other than frost) are either loose impediments or, when on the ground, temporary water, at your option.Manufactured ice is an obstructionWhich would lead me to believe that any frozen manufactured liquid substance should be treated as an obstruction.

I read your post but if you are of the mind that how the rules would treat ice cream differs from how it would treat melted ice cream, then I would not agree. The fact that the product is manufactured and not natural is what I believe the controlling factor to be. If you are alluding to something else, then by all means please explain as in such case it is not apparent to me what you mean.

Ok, let us go deep into this and start from the chemistry of dairy products.

Milk is an emulsion milked out of a cow. At that point it is not a man made product as it has only been taken out of a cow. But on its path to consumers this emulsion is treated in various ways to form the end product that we call 'milk'. That product is no longer the same that came out of the cow but it is a manufactured product, so an Obstruction by Definition. So far so good.

Ice cream is traditionally made out of milk. So making ice cream from an Obstruction will not change its status but also ice cream is an Obstruction, that is, by your own words 'by Definition'.

So, as ice cream is made out of processed milk it must mean they both possess the same status from the RoG point of view. Thus a puddle of processed milk on the ground is an Obstruction, by your own words.

Shall I go further or are you beginning to see my point?

Manufactured ice is a bit unusual in that it entirely returns to water in the right conditions. So fully melted, it would be temporary water if that definition is met - in many situations it would only be pooled on the surface of the ground for a very brief period or even not at all. If part melted with some ice remaining, then the interference could be twofold - temporary water and MO at the player's discretion.

A patch of melted ice cream is far more likely to remain a stickly little blob (that's the extent of my chemistry knowledge) and make it's presence felt on the golf ball.

• Like 1