2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

callway right handed opti fit hosel for a left handed club (hybrid), and adjustment options

Lefty_Rubin

Hey Forum,

Long time reader, first time poster. My question pertains to callaway opti fit hosel. In place of lie, it has 2 settings, neutral or draw. So, if I had a right handed hosel adaptor in a left handed club, would my settings now be neutral or fade (bias)? I know for loft adjustments its reverse if you put a rh hosel in a lh club, does this also apply to lie angle setting? Its interesting as in Callway hosel you can adjust loft -1 or +1 or +2, so with reverse it changes the capability to -2 or -1 or +1. Is this correct??

From what I know you are correct In your assumptions. Loft wise at least. Not sure about the draw vs fade settings

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

It is actually pretty straight-forward. I am a lefty, with probably 10-20 RH Callaway shafts. I basically set the RH shaft to the setting I want (always lined up with the vertical white line), and then rotate the settings 180* (that is, front to back). In other words, if I want standard loft and draw setting (S/D), I set it to S/D, and then turn it around so that my setting is actually N/+1. If you want S/N, then you set it to D/+1. You want -1/D, then set it to +2/N. And so on.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Sorry, that's not completely correct.

You've got the loft correction right.

+2 => -1

+1 => S

S => +1

-1 => +2

but not the N,D settings. They don't need to be converted since they are lie angle adjustments so are the same regardless of whether you play LH or RH.

So if you want +2 D, they you'll set the adapter to -1 D, not -1 N.

• Like 3

Thanks Stuart. I can’t believe I’ve been doing it wrong all these years. Probably why many of my demos of RH shafts have been a bit wonky...

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

• 1 year later...

Stuart, I’ve just bought a used Hzrdus Smoke shaft for my Callaway Mavrik driver.  10.5 head which I want to dial down -1, with a neutral setting.

the shaft I am buying has a left handed optimist adapter, but I’m a right handed player.

according to your chart, I should put the LH adapter on +2N to get an effective -1N setting for a right handed club.

i believe you, but I’m curious: if the +2 setting adds 2 for a RH player, due to how it changes the loft of the club, why would it only deloft it 1 degree the other way? Seems like if it’s a 2% loft change, then that’d either be 2 more or 2 less.

And same sort of question on the +1 setting, that for a righty would keep it at Standard.  If +1 adds a degree of slope, then why wouldn’t it take away a degree of slope for an opposite head driver?

thanks for your time and thoughts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hrh313 said:

I’m curious: if the +2 setting adds 2 for a RH player, due to how it changes the loft of the club, why would it only deloft it 1 degree the other way? Seems like if it’s a 2% loft change, then that’d either be 2 more or 2 less.

You seem to be assuming that the 0* loft adjustment is in the middle of the adjustment range.   It's not.  And because of that, the stamped loft is only what you get at the 0* setting when played by the correct handed player and head.

The +2* setting adds two degrees relative to the 0* setting.   But the 0* setting really gives -1* when played by an opposite handed player so then the +2* setting still is adding two degrees.  It's just not adding two degrees to the stamped loft.

If it's easier, you can think of the head as really being 11* and the 0* setting is really -1/2*.  the +1 setting is really +1/2*, the +2 setting is really+1.5* and the -1* setting is really -1.5*.   There really is no true 0* setting that's the same when played in both left and right handed heads.

Edited by Stuart_G

• 6 months later...
On 8/4/2021 at 5:22 AM, Stuart_G said:

You seem to be assuming that the 0* loft adjustment is in the middle of the adjustment range.   It's not.  And because of that, the stamped loft is only what you get at the 0* setting when played by the correct handed player and head.

The +2* setting adds two degrees relative to the 0* setting.   But the 0* setting really gives -1* when played by an opposite handed player so then the +2* setting still is adding two degrees.  It's just not adding two degrees to the stamped loft.

If it's easier, you can think of the head as really being 11* and the 0* setting is really -1/2*.  the +1 setting is really +1/2*, the +2 setting is really+1.5* and the -1* setting is really -1.5*.   There really is no true 0* setting that's the same when played in both left and right handed heads.

Stuart,

So I am a lefty who decently realized that the driver shaft I have played for nearly two years now has a RH Callaway tip on it instead of a LH one. I currently game a 9* Callaway Epic Max LS driver but will be switching to a 9* Rogue ST Max LS once it arrives. I will use the same shaft with the RH tip in the Rogue ST Max LS head. I have been gaming my driver in the S and N position thinking it was standard and neutral. What loft is my driver actually at in that setting? What loft would my driver be set at if I moved it to +2 and N and would that setting be the lowest loft I could adjust it to? Thanks!

3 minutes ago, GroverC said:

Pretty sure you are standard lie with 1 degree increase in loft - so you are at 10 degrees.  Here is a little chart that might help:

Right  Left

D     =     D

N     =     N

+2    =    -1

+1    =     S

S     =    +1

-1    =    +2

+1.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Chris-B said:

Hi Folks,

Where can you buy the LH cogs for the Optifit 3 system?

I want to de-loft my epic super hybrid by 2 degrees.

Thanks,

Chris

Putting the LH adapter into a RH head will not increase the adjustability.  You'll still be limited to the range of +2 to -1*.

+2 == -1

+1 == S

S == +1

-1 == +2

In theory you'd need to find a "tour strong" version of the adapter - which they made for the drivers but I doubt you'll be able to find one for the hybrids.

• 5 months later...

So Stuart or anyone out there could you help me please. 

I have just bought a left handed 9 degree callaway B21 head and a right handed shaft and want to change.

Firstly to 11 degrees and neutral lie and secondly at a later date to 10 degrees and neutral depending on how I get on. Being a halfwit can someone let me know the right handed shaft settings to achieve this. 

Thank you

Stephen 

57 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

Can this work for other manufacturers too?

Using an adapter in an opposite handed head  (LH adapter in RH head or RH adapter in LH head) "works" for all OEM adapters.

57 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

I'd honestly love to be able to Loft up my Ping driver and have it open the face instead of close it. 

Not sure why you think that it might but it doesn't change the relationship between loft and face angle - not for Callaway or any OEM.   Lofting up always closes the face and lofting down always opens the face.

If you want more loft with an open face, you have to start with a base head loft higher than what you want. 

11 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Using an adapter in an opposite handed head  (LH adapter in RH head or RH adapter in LH head) "works" for all OEM adapters.

Not sure why you think that it might but it doesn't change the relationship between loft and face angle - not for Callaway or any OEM.   Lofting up always closes the face and lofting down always opens the face.

If you want more loft with an open face, you have to start with a base head loft higher than what you want. 

The next driver I buy will be a 10.5 lofted down but I was hoping to cheat a little bit by putting a left handed adapter on my shaft. 

Loft and face angle are a package because the adapter tilts the head but then what is the difference between right handed and left handed adapters if they are both used in a right handed head?

I thought that if they are both used in a right handed the head then the difference in the +1 setting would just be the face angle.

For example a right handed adapter +1 setting would increase loft and close the face where a left handed adapter in a right handed club would increase loft and open the face (which is what I want).

Am I completely wrong in this thinking?

Thanks for the reply!

15 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

The next driver I buy will be a 10.5 lofted down but I was hoping to cheat a little bit by putting a left handed adapter on my shaft. 

Loft and face angle are a package because the adapter tilts the head but then what is the difference between right handed and left handed adapters if they are both used in a right handed head?

They are physically the same.  The only difference is how they are labelled.   Which means what they can do is exactly the same.  The only difference is what labeled setting will give you a particular result.  For a RH adapter in a RH head, the labels will be accurate to what you get.   If you use a LH adapter in a RH head, the labels will not be accurate in what you will get.  You have to use the conversion listed above.

I thought that if they are both used in a right handed the head then the difference in the +1 setting would just be the face angle.

No.

For example a right handed adapter +1 setting would increase loft and close the face where a left handed adapter in a right handed club would increase loft and open the face (which is what I want).

Look at the conversion charts in the previous posts.

Yes, for a right hand adapter in a right handed head, the +1 setting will increase loft and close the face.

But if a LH adapter is used in a RH head, the +1 setting gives you the same thing as using the "S" setting in a RH adapter.   Stated loft, no change to face angle.

If you go to the +2 setting with the LH adapter in a RH head,  that gives you the same setting as you'd get using the -1 setting in a RH adapter -  lower loft and more open face angle.

If you use the "S" setting with the LH adapter in the RH head, that gives you the same setting as you'd get using the +1 setting in the RH adapter - some added loft and a more closed face.

If you go to the -1 setting with the LH adapter in the RH head, that gives you the same result as using the +2 setting in a RH adapter,  highest loft and most closed face.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

They are physically the same.  The only difference is how they are labelled.   Which means what they can do is exactly the same.  The only difference is what labeled setting will give you a particular result.  For a RH adapter in a RH head, the labels will be accurate to what you get.   If you use a LH adapter in a RH head, the labels will not be accurate in what you will get.  You have to use the conversion listed above.

No.

Look at the conversion charts in the previous posts.

Yes, for a right hand adapter in a right handed head, the +1 setting will increase loft and close the face.

But if a LH adapter is used in a RH head, the +1 setting gives you the same thing as using the "S" setting in a RH adapter.   Stated loft, no change to face angle.

If you go to the +2 setting with the LH adapter in a RH head,  that gives you the same setting as you'd get using the -1 setting in a RH adapter -  lower loft and more open face angle.

If you use the "S" setting with the LH adapter in the RH head, that gives you the same setting as you'd get using the +1 setting in the RH adapter - some added loft and a more closed face.

If you go to the -1 setting with the LH adapter in the RH head, that gives you the same result as using the +2 setting in a RH adapter,  highest loft and most closed face.

Thank you!

Really appreciate the information.

• Like 1

I have educated myself pretty well regarding how adjustable adapters work generally, but watching both (old and new) Super Hybrid reviews from TXG gets me a little confused. Can you Stuart explain what Ian means when he's telling about this "wrong-sided-sleeve"-trick on both reviews. It seems little controversial comparing to this thread.

I put the videos on the right timestamp.

54 minutes ago, Antmeister said:

Can you Stuart explain what Ian means when he's telling about this "wrong-sided-sleeve"-trick on both reviews. It seems little controversial comparing to this thread.

I'm not surprised - but basically it's confusing because they are wrong.  Clearly they didn't read the published info from Callaway posted above by @skraly  or even bother to measure the actual loft of the head.

Many OEM adapters (TM, Ping, Cobra, PXG) are symmetric.  The max + setting for loft is the same as the max - setting.    In those cases you can just flip the sign when using an opposite hand adapter in a head.   They are assuming that's the case for all adapters but it's not true.  

Callaway and Titleist are asymmetric in the loft adjustment e.g. +2 to -1.   Titleist doesn't bother with LH RH labels on the adapter and just uses different charts for LH and RH adjustment.    But Callaway does and the asymmetry of the adjustment confuses the issue.   The "center" of the range is not actually the 0* or "S" position so you can't just change the sign of the adjustment when using an opposite hand adapter.   +2* with a LH adapter in RH head gives -1*,  not -2*.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a left handed Callaway XHot 10.5 driver.  Threads stripped out in the shaft adapter, so had to get a new one.  I could not find a left handed tip, so got a RH one instead.  It is the earlier tip, Optifit 1, with "O", "C". and "S" settings.  Can anyone tell me how I should set this up, or what the settings will actually be?  Or can I simply put the alignment on the inside instead of the outside and have the same adjustments?

13 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

I have a left handed Callaway XHot 10.5 driver.  Threads stripped out in the shaft adapter, so had to get a new one.  I could not find a left handed tip, so got a RH one instead.  It is the earlier tip, Optifit 1, with "O", "C". and "S" settings.  Can anyone tell me how I should set this up, or what the settings will actually be?  Or can I simply put the alignment on the inside instead of the outside and have the same adjustments?

Personally, I'd just move the cog from the stripped LH adapter over to the new RH adapter.  Then pretty sure you should be back to normal.

Otherwise the 1st generation callaway adapter was symmetric.  So the open ("0") and closed ("C") settings would be reversed.   The standard loft setting "S" would stay the same.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

Personally, I'd just move the cog from the stripped LH adapter over to the new RH adapter.  Then pretty sure you should be back to normal.

Otherwise the 1st generation callaway adapter was symmetric.  So the open ("0") and closed ("C") settings would be reversed.   The standard loft setting "S" would stay the same.

Thanks.  I will try that.  Three positions instead of four had me thrown for a loop hahaha.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 1:15 AM, Leftygolfer123 said:

Stuart,

So I am a lefty who decently realized that the driver shaft I have played for nearly two years now has a RH Callaway tip on it instead of a LH one. I currently game a 9* Callaway Epic Max LS driver but will be switching to a 9* Rogue ST Max LS once it arrives. I will use the same shaft with the RH tip in the Rogue ST Max LS head. I have been gaming my driver in the S and N position thinking it was standard and neutral. What loft is my driver actually at in that setting? What loft would my driver be set at if I moved it to +2 and N and would that setting be the lowest loft I could adjust it to? Thanks!

How do you know if the tip is for a Left handed or Right handed golfer?

I am a lefty, I had them put a Callaway tip on my autoflex shaft. How do I know if they used a right or left handed tip? Is there a mark on the tip?