Chasing 130. (Updated from 120)

After needing years to get my shoulders repaired (baseball) and kids not needing me as much, I have been back to focusing on fitness, golf and even some running.

Having trained for baseball at a fairly high level, the counter rotation advice is good.  Switch hitters and throw-left, hit right (or reverse) always had more strength and less risk of injury than singular turn people.

For the rest, I think that most of you are right in different ways.  For people getting off of the couch, or getting back in, the major lifts can be great for a while to set a base.  I went into deads and romanian lifts as a basis for leg days.  I really learned to work my shoulders to keep them good (like all three parts of the deltoid and not just the front) with my longest day and most attention here.  Bench, lats, and the basics for the rest.  IMO, this should be a few months of starting for most people along with some core and stretching.  Once you get a bit of momentum here, then move on to single muscles and fast twitch stuff to build upon this base for super speed.  I would guess that most people won't get much past this and will quit.

I don't know why people automatically assume that people who deadlift or squat want to get huge.  It can also be a way to do a lot of good in a short amount of time, or lay a foundation.

Don't compare yourself to a pro.  I grew up in the 90s and post Arnold world and everybody did what he did thinking that they were him to get stronger.  You are not a pro golfer, so don't try and train like one.  You will likely have better results paying attention to amateurs at your level.  You can bet that when some of the pros got huge in one offseason, it was not just with fast twitch stuff, either... and maybe some chemical help, so don't do this.  

Too many people neglect the forearms.  If I could only train one thing, it would be foreams.  All of the good players that I know have incredibly fast hands.  Second thing would be glutes and hams.  The turn and the forearms are the most important, IMO.

Want to get stronger in rotation?  Get a 34/34 baseball bat and swing that 100 time each day in both directions.  Get wide, stay balanced and swing hard.  Your core, legs and forearms will be burning if you do it right.  Smashing excessive amounts of balls can build swing strength too if you are not one of those that can get bad habits.

Lastly, if you just cannot swing faster, but are fairly strong, swing a heavier club... add weight until your swing speed and accuracy falls.  It can feel weird at first, but the extra weight will smash better.  I added about 30g (some in the head and under grip) in total to my club and it added 25-30 yards with no increase in club head speed.  My dispersion is better too.  I know that the current environment is all about speed, but even a bit less speed with more weight can yield better results.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going to look into this during my speed training to push me over the top. I am about 111 being static. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

So I went and got fit for a driver a few weeks ago... my club head speed is great, my launch numbers are terrible... going to spend the winter trying to get my launch improved! We will see how it goes.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

2 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

So I went and got fit for a driver a few weeks ago... my club head speed is great, my launch numbers are terrible... going to spend the winter trying to get my launch improved! We will see how it goes.

I've learned that launch and spin are much more important to me than speed. My PR for swing speed on my GCQuad is 132mph, but so many times my total distance is better when I'm cruising at 127-128 as my launch conditions are in a better window. Doesn't mean that I won't continue to try to push my body to get to 140mph club...would love to find a way to cruise over 130mph on the course. 

• Like 2

SIM2 8 degree - Ventus Black 7x

SIM2 3 wood - Ventus Black 8x

Srixon ZX Utility 2 Iron - Ventus Black 10TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW - Project X 6.5

Mizuno T20 50/55/60 - Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

1 hour ago, KingTitus said:

I've learned that launch and spin are much more important to me than speed. My PR for swing speed on my GCQuad is 132mph, but so many times my total distance is better when I'm cruising at 127-128 as my launch conditions are in a better window. Doesn't mean that I won't continue to try to push my body to get to 140mph club...would love to find a way to cruise over 130mph on the course. 

Need to figure out my plan for this winter… might keep chasing speed.

wish i could swing full in my simulator… need like 2 feet of space more

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

• 1 month later...

Touched 137 and 119 on my light and mid weight settings yesterday. Driver dry speed was 115 Friday. This is also with my body being sore from off-season lifting. Getting close

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I’m in.  The goal is to cruise at 120 which would mean a max of 125-ish.  I’m 44 years old and currently cruising at 112, with a prior cruising high of 117.

First steps are better diet and losing the 15+ that I’ve put on this year with the ultimate goal getting down 30lbs total.  During the same time, I’ve got to get moving better in general, or I’ll tear my spleen (or something like that) trying to go too hard.  Mobility & chiropractic work coming up.  Then both speed & strength training.  

Cruising at 120 mph by the end of 2023.  That’s my BHAG.  LFG!

Edited by Dan Drake
  • Like 4

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Oooh.  I just realized that if I do everything that I plan to do above and then get lucky on just one swing, I have a chance to get my ballspeed to match my body weight.  Best chance will be somewhere around 185lbs/mph.  

I like it.  

• Like 3

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Did a crazy session out in the ice and snow this morning. Post session, driver average was 117.7 dry swings with a couple at 118. Considering it was 23* out and little to no ground traction I bet I can get to 120 this year. 

• Like 2

Good year personally chasing some speed.  Got driver to 123, 122 on video as posted in the swing subforum, and had a couple range sessions averaging 120.  On course I'm guessing mostly high teens, but for 2023 hope to cruise low 120s on course.

Something interesting I found.... I'll take a few fast swings with an empty shaft (5W shaft with grip, no head) to help teach the body that it's ok to fire that fast.  Got up to 142.  I've felt a little strain in the lead biceps with this, so I'll make sure to warm up before doing it.  But that's inline with what I talk about with Jamie Sadlowski in my centripetal force thread - in part recruiting those muscles in generating the high forces around impact.

Generally I believe it's best to get your body and mind to a place that's healthy, strong, and quick (holistic approach) - able to "throw your weight around" while resilient enough to prevent strains and injury.  We lose that as we age, but we should try to not lose that!

Edited by joostin
  • Like 2

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

I'm in for this as I need something to work on over winter. Right now at somewhere between 105-110 CHS, but can get up close to 115 when I go for it. Given my previous athletic background and newness to the game, I think I could get a decent jump this off-season. Plan will be:

1- Getting back in the gym. Been at best inconsistent the last few years. Getting some strength/muscle back will help not only swing faster but stay healthy

2- Technique work. I'm still new to playing more often so have a few things to work on here

3- Mobility/flexibility work. This will mostly be mixed in with the strength work

4- Speed training. Will be with either just my driver or adding some weights. Separate from explosive gym work either way.

• Like 1

• Myherobobhope changed the title to Chasing 130. (Updated from 120)

And we’re back. 

Hit 123 estimated with the stack today… feeling saucy. New goal for 23 is 130mph with the stack. 

and maybe a functional swing on the course. 

This is a vanity project. LGLG 

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

2 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

And we’re back. 

Hit 123 estimated with the stack today… feeling saucy. New goal for 23 is 130mph with the stack. 

and maybe a functional swing on the course. 

This is a vanity project. LGLG 

What are you doing to increase speed, besides the stack system ?
Im at 113-115 in control swing, and can get to 117-118 full out, but with little to no control ! 🙂
I wanna get to 120 this year, hopefully with control
Ive got the speed sticks, but havent started to use them yet
Been going to the gym for the last 2 months 3 times a week, doing squats, deadlift, bench + other strenght stuff and stretching for 15-20mins aswell each time
Will start to do the speed sticks later, but want to get a stronger body, before i start

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leska said:

What are you doing to increase speed, besides the stack system ?
Im at 113-115 in control swing, and can get to 117-118 full out, but with little to no control ! 🙂
I wanna get to 120 this year, hopefully with control
Ive got the speed sticks, but havent started to use them yet
Been going to the gym for the last 2 months 3 times a week, doing squats, deadlift, bench + other strenght stuff and stretching for 15-20mins aswell each time
Will start to do the speed sticks later, but want to get a stronger body, before i start

Not sure if you have heard of fit for golf / mike Carroll… he’s a fitness guy in California, and has an app (I don’t use it anymore, but it’s very good)… he has tons of stuff about building speed. 

im working with a local trainer on flexibility/ mobility… and I also do some of mikes stuff… 

deadlifted 345 on Saturday… need to buy a hex bar as it’s closer to jumps (I’m too fat to trust myself jumping… don’t want to turn an ankle!)

so yeah, strength stuff, moving weights fast and increasing my range of motion. 

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

7 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

Not sure if you have heard of fit for golf / mike Carroll… he’s a fitness guy in California, and has an app (I don’t use it anymore, but it’s very good)… he has tons of stuff about building speed. 

im working with a local trainer on flexibility/ mobility… and I also do some of mikes stuff… 

deadlifted 345 on Saturday… need to buy a hex bar as it’s closer to jumps (I’m too fat to trust myself jumping… don’t want to turn an ankle!)

Will check him out and the app 👍 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

You might just wanna do ALL your deadlifting with the hex bar. Sometimes places like Play It Again even have new ones. While the straight bar does tend to load the posterior chain a bit more, the hex bar is the better choice overall for most of us IMO. For jumping or deadlifting

• Like 1

Trying to get to at least 125 this year at age 57. Swinging smoothly around 118 right now on the course, hoping to get to at least the 125 mark and possibly start entering long drive comps. Recovering well from knee surgery in mid September, pushing the legs hard again 

• Like 2

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

This is a cool thread to read.

I have been focusing a lot of my work outs around maintaining mobility/strength and maintaining the speed I have... with hope I would gain more as well these days.

Ive played golf since highschool, and I guess I am one of those fast twitch guys and maybe naturally strong? because I was quick as a junior golfer into college.  I am 36 now.

I was clocking in 126 MPH in highschool playing the tiger special Titleist Driver with X100 shaft. I don't remember what launch monitor it was back in those days. Through high school all I did was play. I did do some basic workouts, but I was too sissy to lift heavy.

Through college and after, cruising was about 120-125. I don't think I ever had enough time on a monitor try and max out swing speed. but at this point workouts were mandatory and I hooked on fitness anyways. I was definitely consistently longer but at this point solid core balls, thin faces, better graphite shafts... probably helped most.

Anyways stopped golfing after I graduated, played rarely, to find a career ...

Fast forward to the pandemic and missing getting out playing. Starting hitting balls at a trackman studio. Stronger than ever because I have been going to gym lifting heavy and consistently. but on trackman i was maxing at 117-118 which wasn't bad at first... but when i saw the number i was like hmmmm thats a little slower than when i was in my 20s.

I decided to speed train but continue doing my workouts at the gym. The speed training stuff (overspeed) really just got me back to 125s easy. then I got hooked on speed (no pun intended)

started researching what long drive guys are doing. Sequencing, foot works, loading/unloading. I would try different things to see what made speed faster on my radar. I would try different "feels" to see what produced numbers whether it was jumping or staying down longer on a swing.

I topped out at 129 on trackman the most ball speed I could get was 188. this was 2020ish-2021

this didn't help my overall game but it was fun. but at some point i realized i was just shooting ridiculously high scores... because of not really focusing on other parts of my game lol

2022 I guess I just didn't have the urge to get better at the game so didnt play much 

My 2023 goal is also to break out of 130mph swing speed and 190 ballspeed which I think i can do. However baselines for this year. I swing in the low 120s  ballspeed is ok (low 170s with a range ball)

I am also focusing on my overall game so I don't get burnt out lol. 

I am 5'7 and 190lbs (so short and fat).

My work out plan consists of compound lifts (squat, deads, shoulder press, bench and rows). heavy and short reps.

I also do a lot of mobility stuff. I use the stick mobility system this was really a game changer for me in regards to mobility

I will be introducing more stuff like medicine balls slams/throws and whatever I think is clever

I went overboard and bought a flightscope launch monitor (one with club data), so I don't have to pay or bug a buddy to use one.

TLDR version:

It is interesting to read everyone's perspective on where speed is coming from in this thread. 

My Opinion: strength/mobility but I believe sequencing is very important. but I think the formula is different for everyone. Some people are naturally fast some not so much.

I think everyone can gain speed if we all learned the sequence correctly for our swings

• Like 1

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

5 hours ago, vietnameeh said:

I have been focusing a lot of my work outs around maintaining mobility/strength and maintaining the speed I have... with hope I would gain more as well these days.

Ive played golf since highschool, and I guess I am one of those fast twitch guys and maybe naturally strong? because I was quick as a junior golfer into college.  I am 36 now.

I was clocking in 126 MPH in highschool playing the tiger special Titleist Driver with X100 shaft. I don't remember what launch monitor it was back in those days. Through high school all I did was play. I did do some basic workouts, but I was too sissy to lift heavy.

Through college and after, cruising was about 120-125. I don't think I ever had enough time on a monitor try and max out swing speed. but at this point workouts were mandatory and I hooked on fitness anyways. I was definitely consistently longer but at this point solid core balls, thin faces, better graphite shafts... probably helped most.

Fast forward to the pandemic and missing getting out playing. Starting hitting balls at a trackman studio. Stronger than ever because I have been going to gym lifting heavy and consistently. but on trackman i was maxing at 117-118 which wasn't bad at first... but when i saw the number i was like hmmmm thats a little slower than when i was in my 20s.

I decided to speed train but continue doing my workouts at the gym. The speed training stuff (overspeed) really just got me back to 125s easy. then I got hooked on speed (no pun intended)

started researching what long drive guys are doing. Sequencing, foot works, loading/unloading. I would try different things to see what made speed faster on my radar. I would try different "feels" to see what produced numbers whether it was jumping or staying down longer on a swing.

I topped out at 129 on trackman the most ball speed I could get was 188. this was 2020ish-2021

this didn't help my overall game but it was fun. but at some point i realized i was just shooting ridiculously high scores... because of not really focusing on other parts of my game lol

2022 I guess I just didn't have the urge to get better at the game so didnt play much 

My 2023 goal is also to break out of 130mph swing speed and 190 ballspeed which I think i can do. However baselines for this year. I swing in the low 120s  ballspeed is ok (low 170s with a range ball)

My work out plan consists of compound lifts (squat, deads, shoulder press, bench and rows). heavy and short reps.

I also do a lot of mobility stuff. I use the stick mobility system this was really a game changer for me in regards to mobility

I will be introducing more stuff like medicine balls slams/throws and whatever I think is clever

I went overboard and bought a flightscope launch monitor (one with club data), so I don't have to pay or bug a buddy to use one.

TLDR version:

It is interesting to read everyone's perspective on where speed is coming from in this thread. 

My Opinion: strength/mobility but I believe sequencing is very important. but I think the formula is different for everyone. Some people are naturally fast some not so much.

I think everyone can gain speed if we all learned the sequence correctly for our swings

This is awesome. Keep us updated on how it’s going.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

• 4 weeks later...

Great thread this...I'm 53 and looking to get my speed up. I have ordered the PRGR launch monitor which should be with me next week. I have made three speed sticks at 255g, 290g and 335g out of three driver shafts and even ordered an outside driver net! I'm going to following the Superspeed golf programme. Can't start until I get the PRGR yet but have had a go with the speed sticks...a few times this week. Normally I carry the driver 220m in summer (about 95mph I think)...today, winter conditions in N/W France at 8 degrees I carried it 230m. I am not saying the few practice sessions have built up my strength but think my brain is already thinking more to focus on the speed aspect. Three monster drives for me today and one absolute balloon/pushy right/ round wrecker........I'll get some base numbers from the PRGR before I start the journey properly and commence my speed training...because it will be good to see those numbers increase from day one.

I wonder what I could realistically achieve mph wise over the next 4 months....112mph?

Cheers,

M

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikseymono said:

Great thread this...I'm 53 and looking to get my speed up. I have ordered the PRGR launch monitor which should be with me next week. I have made three speed sticks at 255g, 290g and 335g out of three driver shafts and even ordered an outside driver net! I'm going to following the Superspeed golf programme. Can't start until I get the PRGR yet but have had a go with the speed sticks...a few times this week. Normally I carry the driver 220m in summer (about 95mph I think)...today, winter conditions in N/W France at 8 degrees I carried it 230m. I am not saying the few practice sessions have built up my strength but think my brain is already thinking more to focus on the speed aspect. Three monster drives for me today and one absolute balloon/pushy right/ round wrecker........I'll get some base numbers from the PRGR before I start the journey properly and commence my speed training...because it will be good to see those numbers increase from day one.

I wonder what I could realistically achieve mph wise over the next 4 months....112mph?

Cheers,

M

welcome on. Usually a 10% gain can be expected. If you couple that with lifting it will be more sustainable.

My update here is I seem to be stuck at 115, although its a 115 being week from illness all month, so I think I have a chance at 120 if not more later.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 1:27 PM, vietnameeh said:

TLDR version:

Everyone is different as you say, and IMO swing sequencing is by far the most important aspect. At one point not long ago I was deadlifting 495 for reps and front squatting around 400, but i couldn't even touch upper 110s and  @MonteScheinblum was and is still dusting my a** with his efficient swing.  Im at the point now where im not nearly as strong, but am still struggling to be maximally efficient or even really truly understand where and when to apply force.

• Like 1