Younger club members in Palm Springs / Coachella Valley

Early 30's, looking to semi-retire and spend the majority of my time on a golf course in a warm climate. I'm hoping to find out some info from anyone who spends a significant amount of time in the area if there are clubs with or trending towards younger members. Outside of the Madison Club, is there any courses that cater you a younger crowd where if I were to buy a house or custom build one on some land it would be enjoyable for a early 30's male to live at? 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might have a difficult time finding a club with many under 60 in the Coachella Valley. I've been going out there for 20 years and didn't meet many locals my age. At the time early 30's. (Getting real close to that 60 now!). Tourist were younger like me. 

If you can afford Madison if it were me that's where I'd go. You might also get privilage at their summer resort. I can't remember where that is. Madison is way nice. A friend of mine works there. 

Now if you just want golf?  There are a lot of choices . Hard to beat PGA West and all the choices they have. 4 private and 2 resorts. Plus the LaQuinta courses. 

Tradition is a great club and course. Not sure about age. Some of the clubs require you have a home in their community. 

I'd love to have a winter home there and golf. Have fun. 

Without knowing your background (unless you grew up in Palm Springs) Scottsdale or any of the more affordable suburbs will be far more fulfilling than Palm Springs, both socially and from a golf perspective.  Summer has mountain golf within an hour and a half for a break from the heat.  Most clubs at your price point will have robust 30 something play, and most areas dont have the big city feel.

If I lived closer I would work to join Desert Forest in a heartbeat.  All golf with a great membership and easy games to find.  One of the premier desert courses that will challenge you, but is fun all at the same time. From my experience it has a pretty good mix of members as far as age is concerned.  It is also close to A LOT of golf, and amenities. If you search the southwest fourm (or even make a new post) you can get some really great input from members on all the different private options and even some PM pricing.  Estancia is a great club probably similar to Madison in pricing.  Whisper Rock is also a very young club, but an invite to membership will take some time.

Edited by vallygolf

On 8/31/2020 at 7:58 PM, azmx said:

You'd be far better off in Scottsdale than Palm Springs if that's what you're looking for.  Also, better weather, more courses, more young people and far more things to do.

If you really want Palm Springs, fine.  Madison is really your only choice.  Stone Eagle is a better course but will be an older demo.

Better weather in Phoenix and Scottsdale? LOL.

Can't argue the demographics, though. We're a seriously old bunch in the CV.

Not young but play with young guys and spend a considerable amount of time in the desert.  Have close friends there and will eventually buy there and join a club.  I have not met many well to do YOUNG golfers in the desert.  Not to say they don't exist, just they are not playing at the private or public tracks my friends and I frequent.  I agree with others, there's a better chance in Scottsdale.  Good luck with that challenge.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

13 hours ago, MaxBuck said:

Better weather in Phoenix and Scottsdale? LOL.

Can't argue the demographics, though. We're a seriously old bunch in the CV.

I said Scottsdale, not Phoenix.  Depending on where you're talking about in Scottsdale it could be 10*+ less than Phoenix.  Phoenix weather is often terrible.  North Scottsdale weather rarely is.  If you only want to talk about the area around the strip clubs then whatever.  That's not where the golf courses are.  Palm Springs is too windy and often too cold in the winter.  I'd only choose to live there if I were near death as it would no longer matter since there's it is already one step closer to nothing whatsoever to do.  ? 

In Palm Springs / La Quinta it is a tourist destination in the winter and a retirement community. Not many year round residents as most people at the private clubs are snow birds. So finding a club that is younger than what? 65?  You won't find that, however you can find younger clubs. Plantation Club is a male only club btw so if you have a family not the place. Madison is similar to Bighorn price wise, but need to own a home in each I believe still. Best value is PGA West as stated above, my favorite course is The Quarry at La Quinta.

For Scottsdale it is a totally different dynamic as many more full time residents that live in the area and play golf year round. My top 3 would be: Whisper Rock, Estancia, Desert Forest. Desert Forest is the coolest temps I believe in the summer due to it's elevation.  However keep in mind north Scottsdale is a hike from the rest of Phoenix. Desert Mountain is way up there so where you live is a BIG consideration to where I would join.

11 hours ago, azmx said:

I said Scottsdale, not Phoenix.  Depending on where you're talking about in Scottsdale it could be 10*+ less than Phoenix.  Phoenix weather is often terrible.  North Scottsdale weather rarely is.  If you only want to talk about the area around the strip clubs then whatever.  That's not where the golf courses are.  Palm Springs is too windy and often too cold in the winter.  I'd only choose to live there if I were near death as it would no longer matter since there's it is already one step closer to nothing whatsoever to do.  ? 

Scottsdale is a suburb of Phoenix, and "depending on the area" the climate is essentially identical.  And check out winter climate: La Quinta is warmer than either one, though the differences are minimal.  I have no idea where the strip clubs are in either place.  I'll grant you we're a bit windier than Phoenix/Scottsdale, though in LQ we get a lot less wind than in Palm Desert or Palm Springs proper.

As for "nothing to do," that sounds to me a lot more like Phoenix/Scottsdale, where the residents' idea of culture is pretty much limited to county-western music, while in the CV we get the symphony as well as prog rock and Stagecoach, at least when COVID is absent.  And our restaurants kill it.  Thanks, but I'll take La Quinta (but full disclosure: I'm "near death," or at least over 60).  ?

2 hours ago, MaxBuck said:

Scottsdale is a suburb of Phoenix, and "depending on the area" the climate is essentially identical.  And check out winter climate: La Quinta is warmer than either one, though the differences are minimal.  I have no idea where the strip clubs are in either place.  I'll grant you we're a bit windier than Phoenix/Scottsdale, though in LQ we get a lot less wind than in Palm Desert or Palm Springs proper.

As for "nothing to do," that sounds to me a lot more like Phoenix/Scottsdale, where the residents' idea of culture is pretty much limited to county-western music, while in the CV we get the symphony as well as prog rock and Stagecoach, at least when COVID is absent.  And our restaurants kill it.  Thanks, but I'll take La Quinta (but full disclosure: I'm "near death," or at least over 60).  ?

LOL....to all of that.  You write that tongue in cheek I assume

I have not spent too much time in Phoenix / Scottsdale, so not sure how much of a pain things like traffic are or trying to go from like Paradise Valley up to North Scottsdale for golf. If I can get to the course in 5 mins but not live in the middle of nowhere I'd be pretty happy. 

Also @MaxBuck O-H! I co-founded the club golf team at OSU while I was in school there (2010)

1 hour ago, Daytona said:

I have not spent too much time in Phoenix / Scottsdale, so not sure how much of a pain things like traffic are or trying to go from like Paradise Valley up to North Scottsdale for golf. If I can get to the course in 5 mins but not live in the middle of nowhere I'd be pretty happy. 

Also @MaxBuck O-H! I co-founded the club golf team at OSU while I was in school there (2010)

20-30 minutes and it is pretty much always the same.  No significant traffic in that part of town.

@MaxBuck I was kidding the with the near death thing.  Should have been more obvious about it.  Sorry.  It really is a huge difference in climate between downtown Phoenix and north of the 101 Scottsdale though.  Almost a different world some days.  I've spent a ton of time in the PS area and always found the area too windy for my taste.  The winter warmth is not the big deal to me either, I'm more of a summer still tolerable person.  There's no chance I'd live in Phoenix FWIW.  None.  I honestly wouldn't even consider Paradise Valley because it is just a wealthy version of the same weather as downtown but I'll spend as many years of my life as I can living north of Dynamite and east of Scottsdale Rd.  Oh and we have (had?) season tickets to the symphony.  Only bad part was the drive to Phoenix.

4 hours ago, Daytona said:

I-O!  Hope you got plenty of rounds in on Scarlet!

I lived a majority of my life in Palm Springs and escaped in 2009. I wouldn’t recommend anyone move to California.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

@azmx I just have not spent enough time in the area to have a good idea, you're basically saying the weather in PHX, Paradise Valley, South Scottsdale is significantly hotter compared to North Scottsdale...by like Desert Forest ? What's a drive like from up there to PHX? I've got Brooklyn Nets season tickets now and wouldn't mind getting Suns tickets if I moved out there....is traffic from north scottsdale to phx rough ?

8 hours ago, Daytona said:

@azmx I just have not spent enough time in the area to have a good idea, you're basically saying the weather in PHX, Paradise Valley, South Scottsdale is significantly hotter compared to North Scottsdale...by like Desert Forest ? What's a drive like from up there to PHX? I've got Brooklyn Nets season tickets now and wouldn't mind getting Suns tickets if I moved out there....is traffic from north scottsdale to phx rough ?

Yes.   See message I sent you for details.