Driving iron / long irons?

ClippedIt

Considering putting a driving iron/any long set iron in the bag - keen for recommendations/advice. Currently looking at the Mizuno HMBs. 

My driver is decent, but 3W is not much more consistent. Hence when looking to play a fairway finder/low shot through wind, I feel like i don't really have a club for it. 

Bit about me - am a relatively young and new golfer in the UK with HCP~18, which has been trending downwards. I really enjoy my 5-PW set of JPX919 forged w/ PX LZ 5.5 shafts (in hindsight 6.0 probably would've suited my swing speed better). I prefer hitting my 5i over my Cobra F9 4h (w/ Atmos S shaft) as its far more consistent in giving me my regular shot shape (baby draw), hence why I feel like a driving iron might suit me.

Cobra F9 D 9* set to 10* PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0
Cobra F9 3W 15.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue S
Cobra F9 4H 21* Fujikura Atmos Black S
Mizuno JPX919 Forged 5-PW PX LZ 5.5

Yonex EZone 50/10 56/12 60/12 DG S200
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Select Superstroke Slim 2.0
Srixon Soft Feel

Try a 2 Hybrid. Easier to hit than a 3W, and probably as long or longer than a driving iron.

• Thanks 1

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

Thanks @Ger21! I should probably try and demo one if possible but I'm not optimistic as I don't particularly like my 4h. Any recommendations in particular?

Srixon Soft Feel

Heard the pxg 0311X is really good and easy to hit but lack of reviews and other commentary scares me. They are $150 now on sale. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

28 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Heard the pxg 0311X is really good and easy to hit but lack of reviews and other commentary scares me. They are $150 now on sale. 

I have one, shafted it up with an Aldila RIP Alpha 85x hybrid shaft. I have a 3iron ....longer than my 4 iron but not as long as my hybrid, a weird distance for my bag.

For shorter courses works great as a driving iron, but spins a little too much to be a true DI. That being said, would work great as a iron replacement with the right loft.

OP, a driving iron and long iron replacement are different clubs IMO. Im not looking for a 4 iron that will run 20-30 yards. I want to hit something high and soft for those long par 3's and par 5 in 2 shots.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

Most higher hc have difficulty with the long irons and from what I've seen in 15 years rarely have a I seen a high hc with a driving iron.

I myself am a high hc but for some reason I hit my longer irons and even driver better than my short irons. I also play a draw and generally miss it left. Nonethless, I recently found a square faced 16 degree 2 hybrid that I shafted like a 4 wood (42.5") and I definitely bomb this off the tee when I hit it in the center - it has a pretty small  face. I would say the distance is around 235 on average but have hit it almost 290 from an elevated tee with a 2 club wind. While I played a 2 iron for many years and hit some pretty good shots I can't say that I was that consistently long as my 2h nor did I hit the ball near as high, which means being off a little was like being off with the driver because of the low spin.

I like the club so much I ordered another head from Monark golf for $18 but this time I ordered a 24 degree and I'm going to put a 40" shaft in it so I expect this will go 210 but pretty high of course. After that I have a 24 deg regular 5 iron of 38" that I should hit around 190(I just ordered it but that's my 5 iron length).

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

14 minutes ago, VA_Astra said:

I have one, shafted it up with an Aldila RIP Alpha 85x hybrid shaft. I have a 3iron ....longer than my 4 iron but not as long as my hybrid, a weird distance for my bag.

For shorter courses works great as a driving iron, but spins a little too much to be a true DI. That being said, would work great as a iron replacement with the right loft.

OP, a driving iron and long iron replacement are different clubs IMO. Im not looking for a 4 iron that will run 20-30 yards. I want to hit something high and soft for those long par 3's and par 5 in 2 shots.

Would you say the shaft makes the difference on the spinning? I have a Sub70 17 deg 3H which I love, but looking for something I can control low for tight fairways and I don’t know if my 0211 4i will provide that for me (although I haven’t tried to flight my hybrid, I hear it can be done). Like you said, nice to have a 4i that you can land on a long par 3 and have it hold. 

41 minutes ago, VA_Astra said:

Yeah I should have clarified - I’m considering something that gives me a low piercing tee shot/fairway finder as an alternative to the driver. I’ve just heard that sometimes it can be beneficial to play a 3/4 iron from your iron set with the loft bent strong rather than a dedicated driving iron. 

just wondering if a club would help with this or if I should learn to hit it with a 3W or something.

Srixon Soft Feel

24 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Would you say the shaft makes the difference on the spinning? I have a Sub70 17 deg 3H which I love, but looking for something I can control low for tight fairways and I don’t know if my 0211 4i will provide that for me (although I haven’t tried to flight my hybrid, I hear it can be done). Like you said, nice to have a 4i that you can land on a long par 3 and have it hold. 

I love my 4u from Sub70. 699u 22 degree... It and my 18 degree hybrid basically cover long shots and I choose between the two based on wind and lie... I put a graphite shaft in it, but sometimes I think I should have gone steel. 

I can keep it low in the wind and hit it into greens if needed... 

You are young and still figuring out your game, so maybe get one and see how it does for you? I think it makes sense to have a variety of "shots" at the top of your bag. My 4 utility has come in handy for a variety of situations.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

1 minute ago, ClippedIt said:

Yeah I should have clarified - I’m considering something that gives me a low piercing tee shot/fairway finder as an alternative to the driver. I’ve just heard that sometimes it can be beneficial to play a 3/4 iron from your iron set with the loft bent strong rather than a dedicated driving iron. 

just wondering if a club would help with this or if I should learn to hit it with a 3W or something.

Nothing wrong with learning new tricks on the golf course, but if you are going to try to hit a low wood off the tee, learn to hit a 3/4 driver from the middle of your stance (0 AoA)... 3 woods are designed to launch the ball high!

Driving Iron is a great club to learn to hit, though... requires good strikes and you can manipulate the loft more easily with a shorter club.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

1 minute ago, Myherobobhope said:

Nothing wrong with learning new tricks on the golf course, but if you are going to try to hit a low wood off the tee, learn to hit a 3/4 driver from the middle of your stance (0 AoA)... 3 woods are designed to launch the ball high!

Driving Iron is a great club to learn to hit, though... requires good strikes and you can manipulate the loft more easily with a shorter club.

Great thank you! I’ll experiment with the flat driver shot for sure. Was tempted by the DI because I love hitting the long irons and hit them fairly well (relatively speaking) compared to my hybrid for some reason.

might just get it as a training aid of sorts, could be playable on the course after an off-season on the range!

Srixon Soft Feel

Tons of suggestions are out there from those that know better than me, from your HMB suggestion to Hot Metal or F9 4 irons, P790, Srixon U series, Sub70, iron-like hybrids, DHY, Crossover, etc. All great. In the WRX spirit, try as many as possible with shaft combos to find something that fits your game and your eye. It's very personal and by all means find one, two, or 10!  I love long irons but will say this ... IMO if you can keep experimenting with a 3, 4 or even 5 wood - shorter length, weights, ball position, hitting down on it, etc. - it potentially has more horsepower (to hit longer) and versatility (to hit low and high) than a driving iron for that shot you are looking for off the tee.  As always YMMV based on your comfort with a club given course and conditions.

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

27 minutes ago, ClippedIt said:

Great thank you! I’ll experiment with the flat driver shot for sure. Was tempted by the DI because I love hitting the long irons and hit them fairly well (relatively speaking) compared to my hybrid for some reason.

might just get it as a training aid of sorts, could be playable on the course after an off-season on the range!

I game a Driving Iron but defaulted to the soft driver swing last time I was in the wind... but I also wasn't swinging as hard due to injury... I'm curious to try the two side by side! 

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

4 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

I think more the head than the shaft. The 0311x is a 3 iron, not a driving iron. Id say its easier to hit than the 0211 for sure!

• Thanks 1

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Callaway Chrome Tour

3 hours ago, ClippedIt said:

My first year of golf, I teed off with a hybrid only. 220 yards down the middle. I couldnt hit my driver, struggled with my 3 wood, but could nail my hybrid every time. Funny thing was, I paid $20 for the hybrid at the NEX on base...some no name but was amazing to me at the time.

My .02, what ever can get you down the fiarway as straight and dependable as possible...hit it until you can hit something longer. I guarantee you, your scores will drop if you play from the fairway more often! I would look at a 0311x or something like the SIM DHY.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Callaway Chrome Tour

23 minutes ago, VA_Astra said:

I think more the head than the shaft. The 0311x is a 3 iron, not a driving iron. Id say its easier to hit than the 0211 for sure!

Interesting since they list it as a driving iron. I’ll take your word for it. An easy to fit fairway finder would be nice. 

image.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Interesting since they list it as a driving iron. I’ll take your word for it. An easy to fit fairway finder would be nice. 

image.jpeg

I have Gen 1, I dont see it as like a UDI or something like that...its too high launch and spin IMO. it is a fairway finder.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Callaway Chrome Tour

ClippedIt, I don’t recommend a driving iron yet as based on the shafts you are using, I don’t think you are hitting it hard enough yet to see the benefits of it (no offense intended). I would second the light swing cut (or preferred shot shape) driver as well. Another good option is a 5 wood. The extra loft will help you a lot and as you improve and they are versatile. If you swing 3/4 you have the equivalent 3 hybrid and if you swing full with the extra shaft length, it will go pretty far. Best of all, the extra mass makes it way more forgiving than a hybrid. It will go higher than a driver replacement yes, but will also work on long par 3s, into par 5s and off the tee on shorter holes.  Very versatile club and many would benefit from having one in the bag into. Good luck. 

Bridgestone Tour B XD-H hits nothing but low bullets. One of the best clubs I've ever bought.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

I am waiting on delivery of a Tour Edge Exotics CBX 119 18* hybrid...which has been dubbed “the spin killer”.  I have a CBX 15* 3 wood and if the 119 performs as the 3 wood does, it should make it into the bag daily easily.

i live on the Texas gulf coast and high winds are the norm, so a low running hybrid/driving iron shot is a nice tool to have.

i am also going to look at the New Srixon ZX in 21 and 24* when they show up in America, they look nice...minimal offset, compact from heel to toe, and seem solid.

• Like 3

I’m hitting a Mizuno MP-H5 2 iron, launches a little lower than the MP-20 HMB which is why I have it.  Great low runners when you need them.  I have the length and lie set up like a 3 iron, with a 3 iron shaft.  You can find these on eBay for a good price, change out the shaft and you’re good to go.

• Like 1

Get a 3 Wood with a heavier shaft cut it down to 42” add lead tape to balance it out and that will be your fairway finder. If you can’t hit a 3 wood I don’t see how a driving iron is even an option.  Or get a 5 wood and do the same thing I said about the 3 wood and cut it to 41”. 

The low screamers are fun and all but you need tour level club head speed and the kind of ball striking that an 18 hcp just doesn’t poses. I could be wrong but if you can bomb a driver and smoke a driving iron then your short game would have to be atrocious to be an 18 hcp. You will probably do more harm then good going down this driving iron rabbit hole. 

On 9/20/2020 at 7:44 PM, ClippedIt said:

A picture of my "dynamic duo", although they are never both in the bag together)

If you want low and piercing I recommend Tour Edge Exotics. I have an XCG5 hybrid from a few years ago that I took out of the bag because I mainly use hybrids as an approach club and full woods for tee shots. (And the low piercing wouldn't hold greens) But the XCG does come out on links courses and I kid you not, I scorched a ball from the fairway on a par 5 that went 210 in the air and rolled out another 40 and onto the green. The hot-faced missile launcher is kind of TEE's bread and butter. 

As far as a driving iron, my driving iron is a Wilson C100 4 iron head with a 3 iron shaft in it, after reading a number of "DIY GI DI" threads. So you might consider that route too. 

IMG_20200923_202231232.jpg

Edited by James the Hogan Fan