What am i doing right?

MtlJeff

12 minutes ago, glk said:

Shauheen Nakhjavani is located close to the Airport near an Ikea - if you want to look into what improving might entail he'd definitely be the guy in Montreal (or frankly someone for anyone to consider in person or online).     Inquiring might be worth a call or a message via his website.     At least you would gain a better understanding of what improvment would mean and how you could use your limited time to best achieve it.

https://nakhjavanigolf.com/

Thanks ! I may check him out. I don't know him but i definitely don't know all the coaches around here

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

3 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Thanks ! I may check him out. I don't know him but i definitely don't know all the coaches around here

His IG

https://www.instagram.com/shkeengolf/?hl=en

and an article about him and how he came to golf

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/montreal-based-golf-instructor-shauheen-nakhjavani-rising-to-fame-1.1429108

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

1 minute ago, glk said:

Wow TSN, thats our ESPN haha....That's big time

Looks like his club is in Kahnawake , so a little outside my normal circles. But he seems like a great option

I do have access to a good teaching pro as mentioned also. One of my friends is a highly regarded teacher and former Canadian tour pro. I just was apprehensive about starting down the path

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

19 hours ago, PowderedToastMan said:

I like your rear foot at impact. It’s not really a power move to keep it flat at impact, but it can lead to some consistent striking of the ball. 

The rest of your move is like Jan Levinson after getting fired... pretty crazy. 

Agree on consistency, but power generation has nothing to do with trail foot being on ground, or not, more of a sequence-trajectory issue than power, especially for throwers. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 4:39 PM, DShepley said:

...focus on the issues where you are losing strokes.  Most likely that will be inside 150 yards or through course management errors. 

I like this. I've lowered my handicap the past two years by working on these two things. Finally managed to get into the 80's on a par 72. Most of my doubles and triples are from stupid decisions.

You are a .1 and a Canadian , to boot. A golf god to most of us. You have figured out ball flight. Hand eye co-ordination is very high. and living in Montreal ? I lived there 4 winters. No playing in the winter there.

Your swing? Why? Who cares!

.1 tells the story. 

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

Wow TSN, thats our ESPN haha....That's big time

Looks like his club is in Kahnawake , so a little outside my normal circles. But he seems like a great option

I do have access to a good teaching pro as mentioned also. One of my friends is a highly regarded teacher and former Canadian tour pro. I just was apprehensive about starting down the path

Given he's a friend that should provide a solid comfort level.  It's kind of always the choice between wanting to tweak a thing or two or an overhaul - guessing he wouldn't take you down the wrong path with a comprehensive conversation about your goals.  Real question - is it that you look at your swing and don't see something "classic" or "correct" (for lack of better words)?  You're an athlete and are light years ahead of many with physical gifts so is there some concern that maybe your overall skills are "overcoming" what you perceive as some faults when you look on video?  Just tossing that out there.  Your handicap has your finding the middle, maybe it's just a tiny bit the middle between the ears as well.

2 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Given he's a friend that should provide a solid comfort level.  It's kind of always the choice between wanting to tweak a thing or two or an overhaul - guessing he wouldn't take you down the wrong path with a comprehensive conversation about your goals.  Real question - is it that you look at your swing and don't see something "classic" or "correct" (for lack of better words)?  You're an athlete and are light years ahead of many with physical gifts so is there some concern that maybe your overall skills are "overcoming" what you perceive as some faults when you look on video?  Just tossing that out there.  Your handicap has your finding the middle, maybe it's just a tiny bit the middle between the ears as well.

Yeah that is basically it, you're not off on that. I look at swings of pros on TV, or even some of the top ams I have played against,  and their swings look good to me. When I look at mine on video it doesn't look the same.  It doesn't look like someone with a 0-1 index....and its a legit one,  I have won points playing in the #1 spot in the Quebec Interclubs and have shot under par in stroke play tournaments. I'm not some superstar amateur but I'm a legit good player. 

In a sense, after enough comments along the lines of "wow you look pretty good, what are you like a 5-6?" (In real life, not referring to online) You do get a bit of shell shock from that. We all have a bit of vanity in the end

But I also was genuinely curious to your second point of like, I was a good athlete,  so I must be compensating somehow to get into the right positions.  And maybe I'm doing something Furyk like where it's ugly but there's a function

And yeah there's always the vanity.  It would be nice to swing once and have someone think you're good. I have to hit like 25 balls and then say "see, I told you!"

Edited by MtlJeff

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

8 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Yeah that is basically it, you're not off on that. I look at swings of pros on TV, or even some of the top ams I have played against,  and their swings look good to me. When I look at mine on video it doesn't look the same.  It doesn't look like someone with a 0-1 index....and its a legit one,  I have won points playing in the #1 spot in the Quebec Interclubs and have shot under par in stroke play tournaments. I'm not some superstar amateur but I'm a legit good player. 

In a sense, after enough comments along the lines of "wow you look pretty good, what are you like a 5-6?" (In real life, not referring to online) You do get a bit of shell shock from that. We all have a bit of vanity in the end

But I also was genuinely curious to your second point of like, I was a good athlete,  so I must be compensating somehow to get into the right positions.  And maybe I'm doing something Furyk like where it's ugly but there's a function

And yeah there's always the vanity.  It would be nice to swing once and have someone think you're good. I have to hit like 25 balls and then say "see, I told you!"

I'm not scratch, play okay, but I hate watching my swing on video - I'll hit a good shot and think I should be saying "I'm hot today" after looking at my follow through. All I was getting at with the athlete reference was more a mental thing - whether you are concerned because of the look that you really do get the great results because you are able to get around whatever faults you see.  I sure don't look at it that way, or think that's the case - you play great because of the totality of who you are.  I guess I grew up watching more pros with so-called "funky" swings than what we see today so not as taken with what it "should" look like, but golf is such a head game it's hard not to compare. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I don't get the impression that you're compensating. To me a compensation is a conscious thought to stop a bad shot. For example, If I go through with this swing the ball will go right so I better deliberately flip or roll my hands. Your swing looks automatic and free of conscious thought which is the reason you might not want to mess with your swing. 

I got down to a 1 handicap without any instruction and off the shelf clubs. I would fade the ball all day but couldn't hit a draw. There were always some holes on a course that just didn't suit my fade and I thought if I could hit a draw I could shave 3 or 4 shots off my game. Many years later I wish someone had convinced me to manage my fade better rather than messing with my swing. I've stayed in the low single digits and still enjoy golf but I don't play as freely as I used to and my bad days are worse. 

I see a lot of false hope being sold in golf. Most of what we do in the golf swing is connected to our general biomechanics. Practising for 1 hour twice a week won't undo hours and hours of walking, standing, working and everything else we do during that week. 

7 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

MtlJeff,

You might enjoy this article by Adam Young on swing changes:

https://www.adamyounggolf.com/the-biggest-lie-in-golf/

Kind of a warning to stay away from a big makeover using cookie cutter swing mechanics.  If you can find someone who could suggest subtle changes that would actually help you to play better then that might be a good idea.