2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Srixon ZX7 vs Titleist T100S

kepeollie

I have not hit the zx7s but from watching TXG on YouTube Srixon irons are always a top choice for a player that has a slightly steeper AOA. While the t100s have a pre worn leading edge that would suit someone that is more neutral or shallow. If you know your AOA its not an end all be all but definitely a good place to start.

30 minutes ago, tim583 said:

I would 110% agree with this as I had the z785 and now have the t100s. I would almost never get the z785 through the turf but I take a nice divot with the t100s. It makes just a little outer strike for my shallow swing. 

I never hit the 785s either. 

Could you please explain you likes and dislikes about each? Which do you feel is more forgiving (if you noticed)? Which feels better?

Thanks in advance!

T100 is better if your miss is thin and vice versa. 785 feels softer on pure strikes. Overall forgiveness I couldn’t really see much though I found the 5 iron more forgiving on the 785 for sure. Replaced the t100s 5 iron with a driving iron and solved that little problem. Hope that helps. 

one suggestion - see if you can find a sample 7 iron on the bay - it’s a great way to test in the grass and on multiple day’s. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tim583 said:

T100 is better if your miss is thin and vice versa. 785 feels softer on pure strikes. Overall forgiveness I couldn’t really see much though I found the 5 iron more forgiving on the 785 for sure. Replaced the t100s 5 iron with a driving iron and solved that little problem. Hope that helps. 

one suggestion - see if you can find a sample 7 iron on the bay - it’s a great way to test in the grass and on multiple day’s. 

I really don’t agree with the opinion that Srixons V sole helps fat shots. It really does not. My dad plays a combo of 545/745 and believe me - you catch it heavy it is going nowhere like any iron. If you low point is a few inches in front of the ball and you’re coming through at -6 and compare the turf interaction to say a Mizuno you’re going to notice a HUGE difference. If you pick it the T100 will be better though. They are also a fair bit more forgiving. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I really don’t agree with the opinion that Srixons V sole helps fat shots. It really does not. My dad plays a combo of 545/745 and believe me - you catch it heavy it is going nowhere like any iron. If you low point is a few inches in front of the ball and you’re coming through at -6 and compare the turf interaction to say a Mizuno you’re going to notice a HUGE difference. If you pick it the T100 will be better though. They are also a fair bit more forgiving. 

I have RTX wedges that have a bit of a V sole and agree. When you mention forgiving, do you mean the T-100 is more or the Z?

I did find a video comparing these too and seem very similar. 

3 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I really wonder about the v sole making a difference for diggers like me. I mean I can take a divot with a hybrid!  

Edited by kiwihacker

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

43 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Huge difference. Makes everything feel better - even saves your joints!

43 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Huge difference. Makes everything feel better - even saves your joints!

Yes definitely makes a difference but to agree with what was said before, if ground hit before ball, fat is fat. Turf interaction is only better when ball is contacted first!

• 1 month later...

Turf Interaction is an interesting component.  Along the conversation around the T100 and X7.  Even if you hit the ball first I would think to much turf interaction could take it's toll. 

Looking at T100/T200, X7/X5, '21 Apex Pro, and JXP 921 SE.  How would you rank the bounce between each head?   

I'm also thinking a MMT or Steel Fiber shaft could also be a good component. 

(I'm in my late 50s but high my 7 iron 175/180 still (on Forged TA3/TT S200s). 

Having played both the Z785 and the T100 - these are my thoughts -

1.  I feel the Z785 were very shallow through the ground.  Once they got in the turf, the VSole worked its magic.  

2.  For my swing, the pre-worn leading edge of the T100 made it easier to make consistent contact more often

3.  The T100 handled the thin shot (my miss) better than the Z785

4.  With my Prov1x, preferred the feel of the Z785.  To be honest, I also preferred the feel the Mizuno JPX 919 Tour to the Z785.

The only thing I would say here is that it's something you probably need to test for yourself if you can. 

I've had a mostly lost year on golf, so I'm just getting back in now. Went to the pga superstore to get my grips changed and hit a few shots with the t100 and 620 cb. When I go back in to pickup my clubs, I'll see if they have the zx5/7 in stock for curiosity's sake. 

Titleist hit it out of the park on the t100 aesthetics. But in testing the t100 vs the CB, I got some counterintuitive results.

I was looking to maximize spin, height, and descent angle. Hit a few shots with the t100 in my current shaft setup (modus 120 stiff), and just could not get spin past 4K. I was making good contact and the ball flight and accuracy looked good, but descent angle was also way shallow--around 38 degrees--so there was limited stopping power. Launch monitor was a foresight, so I was thinking it was a combination of me and the beat-to-hell surlyn balls they were using in the hitting bay. Fitter commented that he'd never recommend this setup for me. 

We swapped heads to the CB and it was like a switch went off. Spin literally jumped up by 2k rpm to my more usual 6k and descent angle was spot on at 44 degrees. Add back some rpm for grass vs a mat, as well as for a urethane ball, and the cb was miles better for me. Likewise, fitter was very happy with the cb numbers. 

I've had the chance to hit the z785 off of grass before (pre-COVID). I have a shallow swing (around -3 degrees) in mid irons--had no complaints with the z785 on strike, launch, or feel. The 785 didn't feel any different through the turf than my MP-4s did (which have minimal bounce), and the range was a bit sandy, so the v-sole definitely isn't harmful tech.  

Ultimately, I preferred the z785 to the Z-forged and would happily bag them.  I actually preferred it to the z-forged--the only thing I wasn't crazy about on the 785 was the topline is a little thick to my eye. 

I think the t100 looks beautiful, and it has a higher MOI on paper. If I could get it to perform like the CB, I'd stick it in the bag without complaint. Only thing I can think is that the 620 CB has a much lower VCOG and it shows up in my swing as a better fit. 

tl;dr--try before buying. 🙂

Edited by revanant
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, mistaklavin said:

Anyone hit these two side by side yet? Would love to see if the zx7 has any forgiveness to it, relative to the t100/t100s.Anyone hit these two side by side yet? Would love to see if the zx7 has any forgiveness to it, relative to the t100/t100s or even the 921 tour.

If you want forgiveness, look at zx5. Zx7 is a very solid iron. Great feel, flight, and looks!! For my swing, the v sole has helped tremendously. I hit ball first, but take a medium divot. 

17 hours ago, mistaklavin said:

Anyone hit these two side by side yet? Would love to see if the zx7 has any forgiveness to it, relative to the t100/t100s.Anyone hit these two side by side yet? Would love to see if the zx7 has any forgiveness to it, relative to the t100/t100s or even the 921 tour.

I’ve hit the T100s and the older Z585/Z785, and to me the forgiveness of the T-100s is more inline with the Z585, than the Z785. Heck I hit the 921 models as well, and believe the T-100s is more inline with the 921 Forged. Truly surprised at how good that T-100S is.  I want to pull the trigger, but going to waiting the 6 months to see if/how Titleist can improve well as test against the new Srixons...and if they aren’t any better, I’ll get a good deal on old stock...exp considering I was fit into the stock 6.0 LZ standard/standard. 

But like you would love to hear from those who have hit the new ones side by side...before I can. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mistaklavin said:

I cannot comment on the Zx7, but imo it will be equally as forgiving as the 785 model or even a bit more forgiving. I have hit the 785's against the T100's and the 921 SEL. I found the Srixon's to appear to be more forgiving visually mainly because the footprint is larger. Thicker topline too. In terms of actual performance the 785 iron was equally as forgiving as the t100 and 921 SEL. The T100s is a more comparable model to the 785 due to lofts as I thought the 785's carried pretty far. 

Everyone sees things differently, but my two friends and I all agree that the 785's very forgiving, very long, and feel great. Two of the three of us have owned T100 or T100s irons and have played the 785's over the Titleist models due to performance and preference.  

• Like 1
:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

On 12/29/2020 at 8:59 AM, revanant said:

The only thing I would say here is that it's something you probably need to test for yourself if you can. 

I've had a mostly lost year on golf, so I'm just getting back in now. Went to the pga superstore to get my grips changed and hit a few shots with the t100 and 620 cb. When I go back in to pickup my clubs, I'll see if they have the zx5/7 in stock for curiosity's sake. 

Titleist hit it out of the park on the t100 aesthetics. But in testing the t100 vs the CB, I got some counterintuitive results.

I was looking to maximize spin, height, and descent angle. Hit a few shots with the t100 in my current shaft setup (modus 120 stiff), and just could not get spin past 4K. I was making good contact and the ball flight and accuracy looked good, but descent angle was also way shallow--around 38 degrees--so there was limited stopping power. Launch monitor was a foresight, so I was thinking it was a combination of me and the beat-to-hell surlyn balls they were using in the hitting bay. Fitter commented that he'd never recommend this setup for me. 

We swapped heads to the CB and it was like a switch went off. Spin literally jumped up by 2k rpm to my more usual 6k and descent angle was spot on at 44 degrees. Add back some rpm for grass vs a mat, as well as for a urethane ball, and the cb was miles better for me. Likewise, fitter was very happy with the cb numbers. 

I've had the chance to hit the z785 off of grass before (pre-COVID). I have a shallow swing (around -3 degrees) in mid irons--had no complaints with the z785 on strike, launch, or feel. The 785 didn't feel any different through the turf than my MP-4s did (which have minimal bounce), and the range was a bit sandy, so the v-sole definitely isn't harmful tech.  

Ultimately, I preferred the z785 to the Z-forged and would happily bag them.  I actually preferred it to the z-forged--the only thing I wasn't crazy about on the 785 was the topline is a little thick to my eye. 

I think the t100 looks beautiful, and it has a higher MOI on paper. If I could get it to perform like the CB, I'd stick it in the bag without complaint. Only thing I can think is that the 620 CB has a much lower VCOG and it shows up in my swing as a better fit. 

tl;dr--try before buying. 🙂

Super weird... the T100 spin like tops for me. I just found the ball speed could spike on the mid and long irons and the short irons wanted to go to space. At 100mph+ 7i speed I think I’m more an MB candidate now though. To me the T100 vs CB was no contest though. They’ve made the T100 look like a blade essentially so if I’m going to play a cavity I want it to at least offer adequate help. I’d be going 620 MB or T100 the 620 is a pointless lukewarm option IMO 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 5:01 AM, knudson81 said:

I have both the T100 and the ZX7 and have played them both on the course. The ZX7 are a larger club, longer from heel to toe and do offer a little more forgiveness on shots away from center. I notice that less in the short irons, but much more in the long irons. Thin shots on the T100 still fly a little longer, but a pretty minimal amount over the ZX7. Ball flight was a bit more penetrating with the T100, having a lower and flatter apex than the ZX7. Feel and sound goes to the ZX7, they are very soft and solid feeling where the T100 offer a touch firmer feel and click at impact. The T100's sole with the beveled leading edge worked great for me all year, but the ZX7 V Sole is far better in soft conditions and for steep swingers. For me the ZX7 have taken over as my gamers over the T100.

Wow, just wanted to say thank you for the comprehensive review! Will be sure to ask my fitter to include the zx7 in the rotation!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

any updates on thoughts between T100s vs. ZX7?  Currently game the t100s with LZ 6.0 and love them but could go for some slight increase in forgiveness.  Wondering if it is negligible but with a little bit larger head and top line, seems like the ZX7 may be the answer and still retain (or be even better) on feeling with center strikes..

Also, read a ton of comparisons between modus 120 vs. LZ and it seems like the 120 feels a bit less stout so wondering if going to modus 120x would be a better transition...

• Like 1

10 played at 9.25 TSI2 w/ Ventus Black 6x

16.5 degree TSI2 w/ Ventus Blue 7x

19 degree Sim Max Hybrid w/ Ventus Blue 8x/ZXU 3 Recoil 95 f5

ZXU 4 w/ Recoil 95 F5

5-p ZX7 Nippon Modus 120x 

SM8 52f/56S/60D 

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0, Sik Flo w/ LAGolf Shaft, Toulon Las Vegas, Special Select Newport 2 custom, Bettinardi Queen B 6

9 hours ago, BeyondVision said:

any updates on thoughts between T100s vs. ZX7?  Currently game the t100s with LZ 6.0 and love them but could go for some slight increase in forgiveness.  Wondering if it is negligible but with a little bit larger head and top line, seems like the ZX7 may be the answer and still retain (or be even better) on feeling with center strikes..

Also, read a ton of comparisons between modus 120 vs. LZ and it seems like the 120 feels a bit less stout so wondering if going to modus 120x would be a better transition...

I think parsing forgiveness amongst T100 and ZX7 is basically the same as parsing virtue in a brothel.  If you’re uncomfortable with T100, that is unlikely to change with ZX7 - or the equivalent iron from any other OEM.

On the other hand, there are differences.  I love the T100 and it’s AP2 predecessors.  They are true GI clubs in a mid-size players chassis.  However, they tend to spin a bit too much for me in the mid-short irons and they’re not as easy to launch as I would like in the longer irons (for my swingspeed...).

ZX7, with a ZX5 6i, fixes that for me both in launch and spin.

I very slightly prefer the look of the T100 but the feel/feedback is better with the ZX7.  My miss is better with the ZX series.  Both soles work fine for me.  The T100 doesn’t have the abrupt angle of the V-Sole but it does have quite a bit of camber for its overall size.  IMO, the pre-worn leading edge aside, the soles are more similar than they’re different.

Your mileage WILL vary depending on your swing, miss, and desired launch/spin parameters.

Regarding Modus 120, great shaft that plays quite a bit differently depending on your swing.  I like it for full swings - not as much for partial, knock-down, etc.  If you like LZ weight/profile but are looking for a different option, you might try Modus 105 S or X.  For my swing - moderate tempo with smooth transition and 84ish in 7i - Modus 105X doesn’t feel quite right and Stiff is perfect.  As comparison, I’m happy with either LZ 5.5 or 6.0 but happier with 5.5.

• Like 1

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

thanks for the feedback...so I had a chance to hit it today and my immediate impressions were:

• club head and top line was noticeably bigger/thicker.  Inspired a bit more (psychological) confidence right from the get go...would be great to have something in between the t100s & zx7 but not enough to turn me off 
  • off center hits were less jarring on the hands.  Seemed to carry about the same (may be a bit longer?), but definitely easier to manage from a feel perspective.  It was about 27 degrees outside today in MI so probably magnified that in my mind.  Everything hurt a bit. 
  • Center hits were cushy and really pillowy.  I'd give slight edge to zx7.  Just felt the slightest bit softer...Also, trajectory seemed to be a bit lower but this might have been due to the shaft (tested stock modus 120s and I have lz 6.0 in t100s) 
  • Fat shots were noticeably more forgiving on the zx7.  Still could flight the ball up and probably due to the V bounce.  Thin shots seemed to be about the same...again, but noticeably less shock in the hands.
  • Long irons were noticeable to me on being more forgiving on the zx7.  I use my 5 iron quite a bit in t100s and am pretty comfortable with it, but not the 4.  The 4 in zx7 was much easier to hit for me.  The shaft may be a big factor in this as well.  
  • Turf interaction i'd give the edge to t100s right now but I think it would just take some adjusting to the grind of zx7.  First initial hits off the turf for the zx7, I felt i was digging into the ground much more.  May have to take some adjusting.  Certainly wasn't hitting it off the turf as clean as the t100s.  I don't know how this translates to the course, but I am assuming the zx7 may be a bit more forgiving.  I live in Michigan so the courses are typically on the softer side.  
  • No monitor stats, but in terms of trajectory zx7 seemed to launch a bit lower.  Probably a bit more ideal.  Sometimes I think the t100s launches too high for me.  May be also an attributed to the shaft.

Obvi getting it on sim would tell the difference, but i'd say overall impressions are great and as a whole package it does seem more forgiving to me.  YMMV... 

10 played at 9.25 TSI2 w/ Ventus Black 6x

16.5 degree TSI2 w/ Ventus Blue 7x

19 degree Sim Max Hybrid w/ Ventus Blue 8x/ZXU 3 Recoil 95 f5

ZXU 4 w/ Recoil 95 F5

5-p ZX7 Nippon Modus 120x 

SM8 52f/56S/60D 

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0, Sik Flo w/ LAGolf Shaft, Toulon Las Vegas, Special Select Newport 2 custom, Bettinardi Queen B 6

I can’t compare these two specific irons, but did a thorough head to head with the 718 AP2s and the z785s. I’m sure the new irons have some changes, but I suspect they are more “evolutionary” than “revolutionary,” so this at be helpful. I have hit the t100s extensively, and nothing about it has changed my opinion. 

I will start by saying that I loved the 718AP2 irons.  They were firmly in the bag, and I only purchased the Srixons because I got a RIDICULOUS deal. I took both sets to the course and was playing so well with the AP2s that I saw no reason to even test, much less switch. 

Over the course of several rounds, however, I found that the Srixons definitely felt softer and more muted. They were also longer - especially in the mid and long irons. I was actually up to 20 yards longer with the 4 iron. More than anything, though, the Srixons were more accurate. I hit so many shots with them that just went straight at the flag, almost as if the club was on rails through the swing path.

Over time, it became clear to me that this was attributable to the V sole design. I am a bit of a digger that is very prone to differences in turf interaction between irons. I got decent turf interaction from the AP2s, but the Srixons were almost effortless through the turf. The AP2s actually broke the turf and took divots. In contrast, the Srixons seemed to just glide over the grass. I sincerely believe the ease through the turf allowed me to make an unmanipulated swing that gave me greater accuracy and consistency. Look back at some of my old reviews and you’ll see how impressive the v sole was to me. 

if you get into the turf, I don’t know if you will find a better feeling, better performing iron than the Srixons. I love the titleists, and have purchased several sets of titleist irons since, but the Srixons most definitely performed better for me. 

• Like 4

On 11/25/2020 at 10:41 PM, tim583 said:

Good info...I'm playing T100s and love them but I do have a fat miss. The Srixon looks  bit meatier as well and I think I could use a little more oomph as I have lost some distance even with the stronger lofts. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 10:14 PM, TigerInTheWoods said:

Super weird... the T100 spin like tops for me. I just found the ball speed could spike on the mid and long irons and the short irons wanted to go to space. At 100mph+ 7i speed I think I’m more an MB candidate now though. To me the T100 vs CB was no contest though. They’ve made the T100 look like a blade essentially so if I’m going to play a cavity I want it to at least offer adequate help. I’d be going 620 MB or T100 the 620 is a pointless lukewarm option IMO 

Totally agreed. I'd have zero issue putting the t100 in the bag. On paper, it's my dream iron. And I'm willing to pay for maximum spin and descent angle. 

I'd be happy to test them again. It might have been a "small sample" result. But as much as it seems like the cb should be a wasted option, it really shined when I hit it and it has a VCOG in line with my old MP-4s, so it might just be a design quirk that works for me.