Before & After with Dan Carraher (June 2022 Update)

scratchmcgee

Truth be told I didn't focus on it at the time...my only thought as we were in season was to simply extend my trail leg and lose the flex. Maybe that increased tilt on it's own? Dan had told me here recently that "too level a turn causes me to lose dynamic posture & low point control" Considering I struggled with fat shots I think his assessment would be correct. lol

I recently started researching that a bit more this past month as I work in my basement. I could be wrong but working that medicine ball drill against helps me to increase tilt as long as I'm not swaying. I think naturally you have to increase tilt to keep ball against ball as you work back. 

Initially I remember hitting a few thin/toe shots especially while working with the alignment stick drill. Probably just overall hitting it better tho rather than any specific changes. Still had some ups & downs but I feel my ball striking was overall much better this year compared to previous years. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Redjeep83 said:

Good job on actually making a change but I think you might of taken it too far, need a follow up lesson. Your rear is now moving back too much, causing you to loose balance (falling backwards) and toe shots. Need a balanced finish.

Yes I agree way to far and actually you are hitting fat shots because your left leg straightens too soon in the downswing. You literally have zero lead leg vertical force due to this. 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CIh6J6GgH_K/?igshid=qe5cbzn14xim

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Redjeep83 said:

Good job on actually making a change but I think you might of taken it too far, need a follow up lesson. Your rear is now moving back too much, causing you to loose balance (falling backwards) and toe shots. Need a balanced finish.

Thanks for the kind words! Actually thrilled that I may have taken it too far because that confirms I did indeed MAKE CHANGES. I do feel a lil off balance so happy to check that out with Dan in next lesson. 

A lot of shots were blocked or pushed out to right. If I were to guess I'm not getting through it so hanging back and sending it out to the right at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, scratchmcgee said:

Thanks for the kind words! Actually thrilled that I may have taken it too far because that confirms I did indeed MAKE CHANGES. I do feel a lil off balance so happy to check that out with Dan in next lesson. 

A lot of shots were blocked or pushed out to right. If I were to guess I'm not getting through it so hanging back and sending it out to the right at the moment. 

Could also be you need a bit more motorcycle move.   Get the face closing a bit more earlier.  Dan will figure it out.

Edited by glk
  • Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Great changes and Dan is great to work with.  I also agree with the taking it to far comments.  Def do a follow up lesson with Dan so you don't fix one issue and create a new one.  Overall great work!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

3 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I think it's pretty cool that someone takes a lesson in May, has the sticktooitiveness to work on it for a few months and then posts up real progress after giving it a reasonable effort.  Usually it's "hey, I took a lesson yesterday from _______________, he has me _________________, I think I should _____________, what do you all think?", or something similar.

I do agree with not being afraid to send vids and follow up as you go or even now and keep Dan in the loop.

That's my dilemma with online lessons, I've had them and didn't know if I should send update videos. I feel like the instructor would rather you pay for another lesson then send videos for feedback. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Coy M said:

That's my dilemma with online lessons, I've had them and didn't know if I should send update videos. I feel like the instructor would rather you pay for another lesson then send videos for feedback. 

Very well could be, and I can see that as an issue, I'm just going off of what others have said over the years who have had experiences with Dan.  First hand, I know if you've made the investment in one of Monte's clinics or taken lessons in person, he's great about taking a look at a short vid or answering a text or email - you might get one word, haha, but it's on point.  Definitely something to ask the instructor about.  I wouldn't be surprised with many online services if your concern is well founded.

40 minutes ago, Coy M said:

Depends.  Since it was online and instructor doesn’t see you do drills then a short video to insure you are doing drill properly shouldn’t be an issue.   Questions to further clarify any points in lessons or expected practice,too.

Expect these would be in the first week or so of receiving the lesson.   Once one gets out beyond a few weeks then things will get individual to the instructor - a video just asking if swing is heading in the right direction versus more detailed feedback are two different things - first, the answer is yes or no, keep up with the drills; second I wouldn’t expect at all.    Most instructors like to hear progress stuff, especially positive, and if struggling then I would think depending on how long ago the lesson, they might entertain a video if one asks first.  Same stuff applies even if in person.  

if you are looking to build a relation and continue with instruction then sending a video to see if it makes sense to schedule another lesson , I would think would be welcomed.

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Most online lessons have a grace period where you have a chance to ask questions and then implement the changes in the real world and send a quick follow up video to make sure your interpretation is correct.  

Edel PROTO

Dan is always good to respond and respond quickly.  Just don't expect an additional full lesson, but Dan will look at your video and give you a "yes that's good" or a "feel like you are doing this".  Dan doesn't act like he is above or beyond a 15 second text response.  Guys and gals hit him all day every day.

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

To add a bit more to the conversation regarding online lessons...here was my experience with Dan. 

He allowed me to send a video of me working on drills to see if I was grasping concept a few weeks after initial lesson. In addition he did let me know it was ok to send him follow up questions. @Hstead is spot on...Dan's short in his responses so don't get expect a conversation but he has been great about a simple "looks good" or "better---try doing slow motion" to encourage me along.

In fact about a month in after seeing some immediate results I had a bad stretch. Dropped him a note on skillest to vent & much to my surprise he responded right away to encourage me. That really impressed me.

When I started doing my medicine ball drill this fall/winter he would respond to periodic questions and let me know I was on track. 

My advice...keep your questions short and to point. Don't pester and make sure you do your research before throwing something at em. I can't wait for my next lesson to see what he thinks of my changes and what we're going to work on next. 

• Like 3

On 1/1/2021 at 2:15 PM, Hstead said:

Dan is always good to respond and respond quickly.  Just don't expect an additional full lesson, but Dan will look at your video and give you a "yes that's good" or a "feel like you are doing this".  Dan doesn't act like he is above or beyond a 15 second text response.  Guys and gals hit him all day every day.

Agree with above, I've done multiple in person clinics with Dan and online stuff. He's always available after lessons to answer questions or put eyes on the progress.

Edited by J13
  • Like 1

Edel PROTO

• 3 weeks later...

Dan graciously provided some feedback via email on 1/2. Asked me to slow the depth of right hip trail side and make it more gradual instead of all at once. Also mentioned that hands needed to work in more during the takeaway which prevents club getting too far behind. 

Although I was pleased with my progress I did notice that the club was still getting behind me and furthermore laid off at top of swing. So I went to work on his alignment stick drill and working with a basketball between my arms. Even did a bit of work with my Planemate all focusing on keeping trail arm on top during the takeaway and standing club up as an umbrella earlier in the backswing. 

Very much a work in progress but continue to do drills every day. I very much look forward to my next lesson with Dan but appreciate his feedback so I could continue working on cleaning a few parts up so we can focus on other issues in lesson as I know there are plenty. LOL 

To get club more parallel to target line I've really had to feel an ACTUAL TURN and increasing left tilt as I work back. It's been uncomfortable but like how it looks on video.

• 4 months later...

6/13/21 Update

Put lines on this swing in my app to check a few things...

1) Trail leg extends in backswing

2) Trail knee does not cross original line where set at address. Previously this trail knee was caving in too far/fast in the downswing and thus crossing the line.

3) Maintain my spine angle better to initiate down swing

4) Butt stays on line at top of backswing through downswing. 

Hardest part for me is maintaining these feels. I'm also working on less "arms" swing and more connected. Dan has me working with a bucket drill between arms to combat this. 

Find that as soon as I hit course old habits creep back especially when adding tension. Just have to keep working. 

Feel free to let me know any good or bad you guys see from my progress.

https://youtube.com/shorts/fm5_DCYaSzM?feature=share

Thanks!

Brady 

• scratchmcgee changed the title to Before & After with Dan Carraher (online lesson) *UPDATED SWING 6/13/21

thing i see is right arm just never extends - even in the follow thru it is still bent - maybe you and Dan have discussed already?

1128898071_ScreenShot2021-06-14at12_18_27PM.png.a49d1053cce3eb594e17578823d8a972.png514779572_ScreenShot2021-06-14at12_18_49PM.png.5ca9ff67400f4ef2f45fc3f3566100ca.png

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

2 hours ago, leekgolf said:

Your progress is something to see! I love the change in your takeaway.

How often do you get an online lesson from Dan? Was the original post from your first lesson?  Is all of your communication through the  Skillest app?

Thanks for the encouraging words! I've had two lessons...one in last May & one in January. I'm cheap but really it's more I want to give ample time to really work through the changes. I've gone back and watched his lessons with me multiple times...try to make sure that when the next lesson will be we're moving forward and not going back to rehash previous concepts due to my lack of work.

Original post was video from first lesson. Combination of IG/skillest for communication.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments @glk & @Golfbeat.

1) Not something we have previously discussed at this point regarding bent right arm.

2) Have noticed this before but haven't discussed yet with Dan. I have a tendency to laterally hinge my wrists because of my arms taking over...roll em and open the face on the takeaway. Try to stay away from this obviously. 

In this last video I was really working hard to have my core/torso power takeaway. I previously sent a video similar to this one & Dan had very good things to say so I feel like this is the right track.

Wanted to invite others to share thoughts but 100% agree my action has and will continue to be based on Dan's feedback. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Still see a lot of hip movement early while the arms keep going to the top. What feel are you using to get them moving so much? I'm fighting a lot of years swinging with the intention to restrict my hips thinking that was correct. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

On 6/13/2021 at 9:15 PM, scratchmcgee said:

6/13/21 Update

Put lines on this swing in my app to check a few things...

1) Trail leg extends in backswing

2) Trail knee does not cross original line where set at address. Previously this trail knee was caving in too far/fast in the downswing and thus crossing the line.

3) Maintain my spine angle better to initiate down swing

4) Butt stays on line at top of backswing through downswing. 

Hardest part for me is maintaining these feels. I'm also working on less "arms" swing and more connected. Dan has me working with a bucket drill between arms to combat this. 

Find that as soon as I hit course old habits creep back especially when adding tension. Just have to keep working. 

Feel free to let me know any good or bad you guys see from my progress.

https://youtube.com/shorts/fm5_DCYaSzM?feature=share

Thanks!

Brady 

looks pretty good, just keep working on it 

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Sorry for my delayed responses. 

1) @BigManSlim my index hasn't really moved much but I feel like I'm a much better player. Part of the reason is my funks and low times are much less and shorter in duration than previous years. I have a lot more knowledge of the swing so I have a better feel for getting around the course when I'm off. Furthermore using video to record my swing and keep things in check helps too. Long story short I'm able to self correct better.

2) @TLUBulldogGolf I guess just feel like getting taller and letting the right leg extend. Maybe even letting the left heel lift might help? I'm a lil overactive with it so Dan is working to reel it in just a bit and get it more in sync.

3) thanks for the support, @Redjeep83!

• 1 month later...

3RD LESSON WITH DC

July 2nd, 2021

After a good start to season I had a very disappointing golf trip at the end of June. Really played poorly in all aspects and with our course in terrible condition for the month of July it made sense to check in with DC. 

Told Dan in my lesson I felt out of whack and not very comfortable swinging the club and trusting my changes. He gave me a couple drills to work on freeing me up to swing all the while improving the mechanics of my swing. A few highlights below...

1) Swing got a bit long at top with some arm overrun. His drill of swinging two clubs at time helped me hinge the club properly and sync both arms better. See 1st attachment

2) His 2nd drill was doing some "left arm only" swings. I mentioned in another thread this has been a killer and really was eye opening. I believe a side effect of swinging with left arm only it helped me generate a bit steeper shoulder tilt as shown in the 2nd attachment. With both drills I'm not getting my arm as across my body and behind me which was certainly causing some issues coming into impact. 

3) 3rd pic shows how I would dump the club while getting lead shoulder working up way too quickly. My lower body movement wasn't as great in that particular shot either so with early extending I was just coming way too shallow into ball and hitting it fat. Not to mention club face felt open and would be hopelessly flipping to square. You can imagine I would see some pretty big blocks/pushes with this move. lol

a) a few key changes for me is left side clearing better. lead shoulder now working down to start transition and bringing club out in front where I can just rotate through. 

I've had to really slow it down to feel the right movements. Also took some trial/error to find the right movement with the "lead arm only drill" so I could actually hit the ball. 

Have confirmed my changes with DC..."definitely better" was pleasing to hear. After a month of several repetitions I'm starting to see some fruits from my work. The best part is my iron swing is improving...my divots, compression, ball flight, etc. is trending in the right direction. That is really exciting for me as Arccos has my approach shots as the worst part of my game.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to share my swing journey. Thankful for teachers like DC that take the time to help a helpless hack like me just simply trying to improve for a very reasonable price. 🙂 

Comments and questions always welcome!

top comparison.PNG

shoulder tilt.png

beforeimpact.png

slot.png

• Like 3

• scratchmcgee changed the title to Before & After with Dan Carraher (June 2022 Update)