2021 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

Good riddance, 2020. Hoping that '21 is a wee bit better.

Curious when we'll see fans allowed back on the course. I'm guessing it won't be until May.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Good riddance, 2020. Hoping that '21 is a wee bit better.

Curious when we'll see fans allowed back on the course. I'm guessing it won't be until May.

I'm guessing itll depend on how much we know of the new strain (and of course, the vaccine's effectiveness on that - so far so good).  At this rate, your call on May doesn't look bad. Cautiously optimistic, but prepared for another wonky season, especially with more restriction on travels again from citizens of UK, Canada, etc etc... 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Supermilo said:

I'm guessing itll depend on how much we know of the new strain (and of course, the vaccine's effectiveness on that - so far so good).  At this rate, your call on May doesn't look bad. Cautiously optimistic, but prepared for another wonky season, especially with more restriction on travels again from citizens of UK, Canada, etc etc... 

This is 2021, not 2020.  The COVID epidemic maybe the same, but LPGA is playing it for real.

Most players, especially those missing 2020, can't afford to miss playing this year.  I suspect rookies will have a much tougher time entering tournaments.

Q-Series rookies maybe shut out from Gainbridge; if no 2020 Top-80 exemption is granted.

Edited by 18majors
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, 18majors said:

This is 2021, not 2020.  The COVID epidemic maybe the same, but LPGA is playing it for real.

Most players, especially those missing 2020, can't afford to miss playing this year.  I suspect rookies will have a much tougher time entering tournaments.

Rookies, with the exception of A Lim Kim, maybe shut out from Gainbridge; if no 2020 Top-80 exemption is granted.

The Stats section of LPGA.com has wiped out all 2020 money from 2021 stats; it looks like everything will start from scratch as if 2020 has never happened.

• Thanks 1

This is huge!  Both JLPGA's biggest stars, Hinako Shibuno and Erika Hara, plan to enter 2021 LPGA Q-School.  Both do it for competition, not money.

LPGA's future is bright, I'd buy tons of stock if it were a public company.

Erika Hara, 21 years "adventurous spirit" -the prize queen who talked in an independent interview, determination to the US tour

spacer.png

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, 18majors said:

This is huge!  Both JLPGA's biggest stars, Hinako Shibuno and Erika Hara, plan to enter 2021 LPGA Q-School.  Both do it for competition, not money.

LPGA's future is bright, I'd buy tons of stock if it were a public company.

Erika Hara, 21 years "adventurous spirit" -the prize queen who talked in an independent interview, determination to the US tour

spacer.png

Shbuno is already a walking billboard anyway.. her IG followers plus all the goodwill  Yen / $ that the BO has brought her is more than adequate for her and her grandkids. 🙂  So keen to see how she'd fare and hopefully my dream final pair on a final day pairing comes through for 2022 instead LOL... (2021 wont happen, either are stuck on low priority or have no card carrying privileges LOL)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

Shbuno is already a walking billboard anyway.. her IG followers plus all the goodwill  Yen / $ that the BO has brought her is more than adequate for her and her grandkids. 🙂  So keen to see how she'd fare and hopefully my dream final pair on a final day pairing comes through for 2022 instead LOL... (2021 wont happen, either are stuck on low priority or have no card carrying privileges LOL)

Casual fans won't know how big these two players are in Japan; they're GIGANTIC!  On a relative scale, if Shibuno is 100, Erika would be 60 and the rest of the players combined would be less than 10.

Can't wait to see them regularly at LPGA tour!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 18majors said:

Casual fans won't know how big these two players are in Japan; they're GIGANTIC!  On a relative scale, if Shibuno is 100, Erika would be 60 and the rest of the players combined would be less than 10.

Can't wait to see them regularly at LPGA tour!

Yes for me Erika Hara is part of the jlpga protegee "group" that hopefully brings more Japanese players into the LPGA... Yuka is obviously from the jlpga but is carrying the Philippine flag - unfortunately that'll be all for the Philippines in the next few years... Japan has more in the pipeline (though whether they make the move to tge LPGA or not is another story)

• Like 1

In Japan, they find something to write about Hinako Shibuno everyday; it is more than Tiger Woods in 2001.

I can't imagine what it will do to LPGA, if something like "Shibuno Fever" happens in the US!  It probably takes Lexi, Nelly or Brooke win ten tournaments in a row, with 2 majors thrown in.

Hinako Shibuno started at "Daikin" in March "again" in a year looking overseas

spacer.png

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 2

In Japan, they find something to write about Hinako Shibuno everyday; it is more than Tiger Woods in 2001.

I can't imagine what it will do to LPGA, if something like "Shibuno Fever" happens in the US!  It probably takes Lexi, Nelly or Brooke win ten tournaments in a row, with 2 majors thrown in.

Hinako Shibuno started at "Daikin" in March "again" in a year looking overseas

spacer.png

10 wins in a row, with 2 majors, win a gold medal, date Trevor Lawrence and attend the Met Gala.

• Like 1

The adoration of Erika Hara continues

Erika Hara

"Erika Hara , 21 years old. Like a swan trying to take off from a muddy swamp, after a sober junior era, it is now spreading its wings to the world. I heard that feeling before the 2021 season when people who were at the mercy of Corona's evil entrusted with new hope."

spacer.png

• Like 1

We don't hear from Judy often enough

LPGA preview: Judy Rankin weighs in on a brewing battle for 2021, Nelly Korda's enviable swing and Lydia Ko's future

"What do you admire the most about Nelly’s game?

Her golf swing. The taller people tend to have golf swings that are more graceful. To me, it’s very powerfully graceful. … I think when Michelle Wie was 14 and 15, she might have had the swing that Nelly has now. Then her swing changed so many times and got so different. Nelly’s is the swing we would all have if we could all be 5-foot-11, long-limbed and all these things."

• Like 1

We don't hear from Judy often enough

LPGA preview: Judy Rankin weighs in on a brewing battle for 2021, Nelly Korda's enviable swing and Lydia Ko's future

"What do you admire the most about Nelly’s game?

Her golf swing. The taller people tend to have golf swings that are more graceful. To me, it’s very powerfully graceful. … I think when Michelle Wie was 14 and 15, she might have had the swing that Nelly has now. Then her swing changed so many times and got so different. Nelly’s is the swing we would all have if we could all be 5-foot-11, long-limbed and all these things."

When I think of Nelly's swing the word 'flowing' comes to mind. Fluid tempo, even though it's fairly quick. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

This is interesting!

Kim Ji-hyun "I wish I could participate in the US Women's Open at Pebble Beach

"Kim Ji-hyun, who is starting a year with great effort, said, "I want to put my name in the top 10 more and win this season. I want to spend this season well and play at Pebble Beach, where the US Women's Open in 2023 will be held." "  She said. "

Along with Sung Hyun Park, Ayean Cho was the lost player last year

Cho A-Yean Looking Forward to Resurrection

"In celebration of the new year, Cho A-yean delivered a greeting to fans, saying, "In 2020, because of Corona 19, I couldn't meet fans at the tournament. I hope that in the new year, Corona 19 disappears and we can enjoy seeing our family at the golf course"

spacer.png

Edited by 18majors

Updates on Atthaya Thitikul, 2021 LPGA Q-School can't come soon enough for her

Atthaya Thitikul

"Atthaya again plans to play on the LET this year before trying to seal the LPGA Tour membership."

spacer.png

•  

She'd be someone that should try to Monday qualify this season. Join the Jutanugarn extended family. With the priority lists the way they are, would she be able to get into those fields?

• Like 1

Updates on Atthaya Thitikul, 2021 LPGA Q-School can't come soon enough for her

Atthaya Thitikul

"Atthaya again plans to play on the LET this year before trying to seal the LPGA Tour membership."

spacer.png

•  

I'm keen to see how she matches up with her Southeast Asian "rival/friends" in the LPGA... She's been extremely formidable as an amateur against them all... I don't see her having any problems continuing to do so as a pro...

54 minutes ago, AWinfortheAges said:

She'd be someone that should try to Monday qualify this season. Join the Jutanugarn extended family. With the priority lists the way they are, would she be able to get into those fields?

No, I don't know whether LPGA would reinstitute Monday qualification in 2021.  Additionally, Atthaya would need to be granted a US visa to stay in the US.

Playing LET this year isn't a bad option.  She should be able to qualify for Ladies Scottish, Evian and AIG; with luck she maybe able to win one of them and get her LPGA card.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 18majors said:

No, I don't know whether LPGA would reinstitute Monday qualification in 2021.  Additionally, Atthaya would need to be granted a US visa to stay in the US.

Playing LET this year isn't a bad option.  She should be able to qualify for Ladies Scottish, Evian and AIG; with luck she maybe able to win one of them and get her LPGA card.

This has me rethinking Matilda as I was counting on her Monday qualifying. Wonder if she'll play Symetra OR perhaps head to the LET. At #155 on the priority list, doubtful she'll get in that way much. No schedules out yet for Symetra or LET....doesn't Whan now have more of a hand in that one? Thanks.

2 minutes ago, MagicClassic407 said:

This has me rethinking Matilda as I was counting on her Monday qualifying. Wonder if she'll play Symetra OR perhaps head to the LET. At #155 on the priority list, doubtful she'll get in that way much. No schedules out yet for Symetra or LET....doesn't Whan now have more of a hand in that one? Thanks.

Yes, it'll be difficult for Matilda to gain playing time at LPGA.

I doubt Matilda can play LET.  It's still a separate tour even though it's been affiliated with LPGA.

Her best bet is still Symetra Tour; she's a dual membership there.

This is the year the trio of junior players that I followed over the last 3 years turn 20; Yuka Yasuda already did, Yuka Saso on June 20 and Yealimi Noh on July 26.

Yuka Yasuda Coming-of-Age Day "Be aware as a member of society"

Yuka Yasuda, who just turned 20 on December 24, last year , stated her aspirations as a new adult through a management company on the 11th."

spacer.png

• Like 1