2021 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

2021 KLPGA will have 31 tournaments and a purse of $25.48 million; about a third of LPGA and less than two thirds of JLPGA.

Even though the purse is smaller, KLPGA players don't have the same financial concerns as that of lower tier LPGA players.  This is because corporate sponsorship is pervasive and it reaches down to almolst all players.

KLPGA Tour 2021 Season Total Prize Money of 28 billion won, the largest ever

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, 18majors said:

Pei-yun Chien, a LPGA member, won Hitachi Ladies Classic of Taiwan LPGA, January 8-10, 2021.   This is the first women's professional tournament of 2021.

Pei-Yun Chien

Cactus Tour event 1/4-6/2021. Winner: Ellen Secor (a)        2nd:  Louise Stahle

Thought I'd mention it since this tour proved to be a significant factor in 2020. Even bigger Cactus event this week.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 18majors said:

2021 KLPGA will have 31 tournaments and a purse of $25.48 million; about a third of LPGA and less than two thirds of JLPGA.

Even though the purse is smaller, KLPGA players don't have the same financila concerns as that of lower tier LPGA players.  This is because corporate sponsorship is pervasive and it reaches down to almolst all players.

KLPGA Tour 2021 Season Total Prize Money of 28 billion won, the largest ever

I'd be curious to see how travel expenses compare for an average KLPGA player vs. an average Symetra Tour player. I imagine almost all KLPGA events are within driving distance. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

LAKE NONA GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB TO HOST 2021 GAINBRIDGE LPGA

"DAYTONA BEACH, Fla., Jan. 13, 2021 – The Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) and Group1001 announced today that Lake Nona Golf & Country Club in Orlando, Fla., will host the second edition of the Gainbridge LPGA in 2021. The event will be held Feb. 25-28 and feature a field of 120 players competing for a $2 million purse."

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 12:50 PM, 18majors said:

LAKE NONA GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB TO HOST 2021 GAINBRIDGE LPGA

"DAYTONA BEACH, Fla., Jan. 13, 2021 – The Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) and Group1001 announced today that Lake Nona Golf & Country Club in Orlando, Fla., will host the second edition of the Gainbridge LPGA in 2021. The event will be held Feb. 25-28 and feature a field of 120 players competing for a $2 million purse."

I guess Lake Nona is okay. If that becomes the permanent location I can stay with my sister in Winter Garden during the event.

It was more convenient to me in Boca Raton. But I'm always amazed at how accurate the local chatter is. I remember posting in the tournament thread last year that the rumblings alongside the ropes were that the members were upset and almost certainly would not welcome the tournament back. That was particularly true after a late afternoon rain on Thursday that turned into a deluge. The course was noticeably chewed up for the remainder of the week. One guy told me the members were already whining that the recovery period would be months and not weeks as promised.

BTW, months after that event I was watching a true crime program and was immediately numbed. I recognized the Gainsbridge parking/shuttle area at the Town Center at Boca Raton as only yards away from the focus of the program...the unsolved 2007 Boca Raton mall murders. I'm kind of glad I didn't know that at the time because I was staying in my car for an hour or so eating sandwiches every late afternoon while waiting for traffic to lessen back to Miami. 

Until checking the schedule today I didn't realize the LPGA had returned to Golden Ocala. Very good move. I'll look forward to attending next year. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lobby said:

Here's an odd / end.

Am I the only one twiddling my thumbs while waiting for the season to start?

It may be idle time for us, but it's do or die time for the players.

Yealimi Noh is training, from 9-8, eleven hours a day in preparation for the season to get started.  I'm sure the same is true for many other players.

Like you, I can't wait for the tournament to start; there're so many developing stories that will make 2021 a special season. 

• Like 1

Saso: Chasing a dream

"MANILA, Philippines — Like most young, talented golfers, Yuka Saso never stops dreaming of playing in the LPGA Tour someday, confident of getting past a setback to create a better tomorrow in pursuit of a coveted card in the world’s premier ladies circuit.

“I don’t know when it will be but I want to go (to the LPGA) someday,” Saso, who fell short in Stage 2 of the LPGA Q-School in 2019, told Golf Digest Online.

But she made the grade in the LPGA of Japan Tour after passing up an offer from the Univ. of Georgia, making quite an impression in her maiden season in the region’s most lucrative circuit with two victories and six top 10 finishes in 14 tournaments."

spacer.png

• Like 1

Incidentally, I found more relevant reports on LPGA from Korean media than the US 

'LPGA Opening Game' Nelly, Daniel and Henderson attacked by Jinyoung Ko, Seyoung Kim and Inbi Park

"Including Kim Se-young (28) and Park In-bi (33) who participated a year ago, all the top three, including Ko Jin-young (26), the world's No. 1 player skipped the opening game.
On the other hand, Nelli Coda (USA), the world's fourth place, Daniel Kang (USA), the world’s fifth place, and Brook Henderson (Canada), the world’s sixth place, aim to win the first season."

spacer.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

Is In Gee Chun an officially listed LPGA player this year?

I just looked at the season stats after the first event, just to check that it was updated and if there were any format changes, and to my surprise I found In Gee absent from both the CME points and official money list!

Twenty-five players, but only twenty-one earned official money.  The other four:

In Gee Chun

Brittany Lincicome

Pernilla Lindberg

Annie Park

had their last wins came in 2018.

Normally, Diamond Resorts TOC only includes winners from the previous two years.  Due to the Pandemic, the field this year includes winners from the last three years.

Unknown to us is winners from 2018 are considered sponsor's invites.

As we know, earnings by sponsor invites from a no-cut event aren't considered official money.

There's another twist, Jessica Korda's last win also came in 2018, but her win is considered an official win therefore her earning.

Don't worry for In Gee Chun, the money is real and she'll get the more important Rolex Ranking points.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Twenty-five players, but only twenty-one earned official money.  The other four:

In Gee Chun

Brittany Lincicome

Pernilla Lindberg

Annie Park

had their last wins came in 2018.

Normally, Diamond Resorts TOC only includes winners from the previous two years.  Due to the Pandemic, the field this year includes winners from the last three years.

Unknown to us is winners from 2018 are considered sponsor's invites.

As we know, earnings by sponsor invites from a no-cut event isn't considered official money.

There's another twist, Jessica Korda's last win also came in 2018, but her win is considered an official win therefore her earning.

Don't worry for In Gee Chun, the money is real and she'll get the more important Rolex Ranking points.

Thanks - but that is truly bizarre! So why was Jessica's "official"?

13 minutes ago, Raving Shanker said:

Thanks - but that is truly bizarre! So why was Jessica's "official"?

LPGA has always treated member's win specially; grantedly being a member and wins is special.

We all know non-member is treated differently.  As such, I'm glad Sophia Popov's earning from this tournament is considered official.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

Bianca Pagdanganan

https://mb.com.ph/2021/01/26/pagdanganan-aims-for-bigger-prize-after-successful-lpga-debut/

“I think for me, it is important to aim high,” Pagdanganan said after being introduced as the newest brand ambassador of Smart Sports in a virtual press conference. "

"Pagdanganan is scheduled to leave in early-February in preparation for her first LPGA Tour event which is the Gainbridge LPGA in Florida."

spacer.png

Edited by 18majors