Naval Jelly and Scotty Circa 62 Model 6

As I await the arrival of my Circa 62 in the mail I have a question for the knowledgeable members out there.  I have a bottle of Loctite Naval Jelly rust dissolver on hand.  Since this is basically step 1 of my refinishing project is this product safe to use on the head of this particular putter.  I assume because it is a carbon head that it is ok but many of my assumptions are wildly inaccurate.  I'm not sure if Cameron coated the head with any product that would make using the naval jelly ill advised.  Thanks in advance for any ideas, comments, or help. Happy New Year to all!

What is your goal for the putter? You going to refinish it in a different finish or use raw? I have stripped a few circa #3 heads, always used CLR on mine. Remove head from shaft of course and put in a bucket and cover in CLR. All mine were in raw shape or rusting already though not a fresh charcoal mist finish.

Here are a few photos to help give you an idea

Raw, played with about a season no cleaning/silicone spray, nothing just a really nice patina

50789386602_b9583f5623_c.jpg.72d4b2a8d17e4f02e3519647370ffcf6.jpg

After CLR bath

50788520178_a044e317da_c.jpg.fc11f784de2b4a1701a96fb7daa08e0e.jpg

After hours of hand sanding 400 grit to 3000 grit, boy it sucked but looked so sweet

50788520043_0653a95bee_c.jpg.ccaff5df95e3c73fe043c8041cfbc3ff.jpg

50788520038_06579c3382_c.jpg.623c20aafd047a3deb1eb8a3c814de06.jpg

Happy new year to you too!!

Edited by luke1333
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

Thanks Luke for the info. and pictures.  Once I have removed the rust and completed the sanding, cleaning, etc. prep work I had planned on finishing the putter in a gun blue color. I have a post with pictures of some of my other Scotty putters from Dec. 2 further down the list on this site.  The finish would be similar to the 3 middle putters.  I have previously used CLR but I am out of it, but I do have the naval jelly - hence being the cheapskate that I am I was hoping to save a few bucks and be able to use what I have on hand (naval jelly). And yes I agree about the sanding sucking but it is a mindless task which hits my wheelhouse pretty well. I like your work as shown in the pictures and the color of your hands is a reminder to me as to what is to come.

13 hours ago, fmac said:

Thanks Luke for the info. and pictures.  Once I have removed the rust and completed the sanding, cleaning, etc. prep work I had planned on finishing the putter in a gun blue color. I have a post with pictures of some of my other Scotty putters from Dec. 2 further down the list on this site.  The finish would be similar to the 3 middle putters.  I have previously used CLR but I am out of it, but I do have the naval jelly - hence being the cheapskate that I am I was hoping to save a few bucks and be able to use what I have on hand (naval jelly). And yes I agree about the sanding sucking but it is a mindless task which hits my wheelhouse pretty well. I like your work as shown in the pictures and the color of your hands is a reminder to me as to what is to come.

Gun blue looks so clean especially on circas. I mean CLR is only like $10 but I get it. Sanding does suck but it is worth it in the end. That result after hours of hand sanding is finally worth it! And if it is plated still and not rusted through you may have to have somebody bead blast it for you

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

8 hours ago, fmac said:

ok thanks.  So if it is plated what is my option? I am not sure what this means in terms of getting rid of rust or slight pitting and then refinishing.  I have torched my Del Mar and simply sanded and polished an older pro platinum Laguna. Any and all comments, suggestions welcome.  

Depends on what it looks like rust wise and how much you want to restore it.  If the rust isn't too bad, and you just want to have a gamer then  I would use some Rustoleum Rust Reformer and a brush,.  You can get it at Home Depot.  It isn't too aggressive, but it will knock out minor rust.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/removers-and-chemicals/rust-reformer

The early circa models are finished with a black oxide which is easily removed using coke or 50/50 HCL/water will knock it off almost instantly (be safe, research first!). The newer ones I believe have nickel plating then chrome over the top of that. I got that info from a top putter refinisher after my Caswell's nickel stripper didn't seem to be doing a thing as the chrome was in the way. I had to grind it/bead blast it off to get to the nickel, then nickel stripper to get to the steel. Not sure if any of this helps, but may save you a headache if you're thinking of hand sanding.

12 hours ago, fmac said:

ok thanks.  So if it is plated what is my option? I am not sure what this means in terms of getting rid of rust or slight pitting and then refinishing.  I have torched my Del Mar and simply sanded and polished an older pro platinum Laguna. Any and all comments, suggestions welcome.  

I do not recommend sanding off a plated finish. It would take forever and still probably not do a complete job.

You can send it to someone to blast it off--but you will lose some milling detail, or to chemically strip it. Caswell's made a chemical stripper at one time (not sure if they still do) and it was relatively cheap, $20-$30. But I've read the stuff is caustic so you want to do it outside. Or you can find a local plating shop that will strip nickel plating off a carbon steel head. If it is totally stripped you can refinish it however you like.

Or you can clean up of the head of rust (if there is any) and use it as is.

Edited by Mustard_Tiger

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.  I am sure the putter is the 2009 model that is carbon with a charcoal mist finish applied to cut down on glare.  Once it arrives (hopefully Jan. 12 -15) I can further check it out and may have further questions for members. I will be completing all the work myself as I find the research and completed product a rewarding experience. Therefore no sending it to anyone for sandblasting etc. I am not a handyman but have had good results with other putter projects as I'm willing to put in the time on prep work.  I simply don't want to buggar up the head by doing something totally wrong in the first step or two.  

15 hours ago, ws6 said:

Golfworks will chemically strip a plating off for $10 (or that was the price).  I would never sand a plating off, and I have blasted a plated finish off before with good results.  But, with what I know now, I'd just send the head to Golfworks.  

+1 send to have chemically stripped.  There are several people that will do this. 

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

So if I understand correctly the Circa model 6 has an outer chrome plating covering a nickel plating and both would need to be removed before I use Caswell gun blue on the head. Sorry for this double checking but I live in a rural area of northwest Ontario Canada and shipping the club out to get work done would make the project cost prohibitive.  I was hoping to get the head into the same raw carbon form as my Studio Design 1.5, Faxon, and TeI3 which I love the look when gun blued.  Maybe I have gone down a rabbit hole that is beyond my scope and ability.  

4 hours ago, fmac said:

So if I understand correctly the Circa model 6 has an outer chrome plating covering a nickel plating and both would need to be removed before I use Caswell gun blue on the head. Sorry for this double checking but I live in a rural area of northwest Ontario Canada and shipping the club out to get work done would make the project cost prohibitive.  I was hoping to get the head into the same raw carbon form as my Studio Design 1.5, Faxon, and TeI3 which I love the look when gun blued.  Maybe I have gone down a rabbit hole that is beyond my scope and ability.  

Do not use Caswell gun blue please!! Stuff sucks and is extremely nasty to work with! It is cheap but it shows! Send to BOS and have it all done honestly. Probably looking at $100 or so to get done.

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT