2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Best private golf clubs Tampa

MiddletonPlace

8 hours ago, Barry33 said:

The membership at Pelican is great. More of a family club as opposed to OM. Great course conditioning, awesome caddy program, modern cottages, high quality steakhouse, brand new massive gym. As an overall club there isn't anything like it in Pinellas County. 

Where did they locate the cottages? Did they buy up some of the surrounding houses? Didn't think there was enough room for something like that.

On 1/30/2021 at 1:31 PM, jerebear21 said:

hey bud. Welcome to the tampa Bay Area. I’m going to steer clear from that debate for now. Schely is a valuable resource to this forum and I’ll always defer to him. 

for public lake jovita north and south are amazing layouts. Southern hills has avail to the public after 11pm. World woods is always a blast with 2 courses as well.

Head to Lakeland to play eaglebrooke. Ron Garl design is one of the most under rated golf designer in Florida. 

southern dunes is reachable and one of the best. It probably resembles OM the most from tee to greens. 

the same architect for OM and southern dunes, Steve smyner(UF grad) created cypress creek here jn tampa. You get some hints of OM there regarding bunkers and visuals off the tee. Some of the greens reminded me of isleworth greens in orlando(smyner redid the greens and bunkers there a couple years back as well) but Not as massive due to public vs private. Play the right tee box though. 17th is a 200-250 yards par 3. So whatever is your comfortable yardage should be based off that hole. 

During summer time when the rain is deep go play Lakewood nationals or esplanade. Both have the best drainage. 

I prefer resorts and the private scenes. Tampa public rounds can go 5 hours long during peak season. It’s just not fun when you add commute time. 

like I said I love the Innisbrook resort. Copperhead is the best course on the Florida swing when it’s in peak season.  The north/south courses are very walkable. The island course was a much better course before the expansion of homes in the back 9. 

Is Steve Smyner related to Steve Smyers the golf course architect? 

53 minutes ago, BNGL said:

Is Steve Smyner related to Steve Smyers the golf course architect? 

sorry, it's smyers. we are allowed brain farts. but thanks for the correction.

• Like 1

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

• 2 months later...

good course; I have friends that are members there.  Great facility and always in great condition though I haven't been there in a couple years, mainly due to traffic. Traffic can be a nightmare to get up there but it wouldn't matter if you're living in the cheval area.  PGC and Avila are two different types of clubs IMHO.   Avila is more your daily game.  

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Thanks. I walked a few holes last week and the condition is not comparable to PGC IMO...and the initiation is 2x PGC but you are spot on the traffic getting from one to another can be a nightmare.  had a friend that was at OM but left a few years ago when they moved to Naples. Said it was men only...not sure if that is still the case. 

like I said, I haven't been there in a few years but conditions are always good.  Summer time heat is picking up earlier this time of the year but peak conditions are the opposite of northern states so take anything you see currently with a grain of salt.  current initiation at PGC should be much more plus the wait list.  I don't think you should compare the pre-lpga initiation of PGC vs current initiation of Avila.  Think OM has a waitlist for local members right now as well.  Nothing sad about OM. It is what it is. Tampa is just packed.  

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Thanks. Im comparing current to current as I was both places this past weekend. Agree that they show stress during summer. I’m moving from south Texas so I get it. 

totally agree that PGC should command more but based on current rates it is 54% of Avila. Those are current as of this weekend. PGC has gone up a ton since it opened. 

thx for your thoughts. 

Should give Palma ceia a look. I was over there last week. Conditions were great. 50 yard range and short game is holding it back but if the lightning owner can call the 16th fairway his home who am I to judge.  Traffic would still suck going in/out. Tampa infrastructure is bad. 

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

See how far you are from southern hills. Another possibility since you’re going to be so far up there. I love southern hills. 

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Thank you for the info.  I heard Palma Ceia was great but a long wait and good point about traffic.  I will check it out anyway...sometimes the waits are rumors...sometimes not. lol.

I will look up southern hills as well.  I am just looking for a good place to play on a "daily" basis that is decent value.  Thank you again

• 2 weeks later...

HDH,

in my opinion avila is your best bet if you’re under 40 for value. I’m surprised they haven’t yet raised the initiation for that program. Avila is closed for most of June so not sure when you played but the course was in much worse shape than usual during May. 

they’re also building an indoor practice facility on the range this year. 

For PGC, did you mean their initiation is 30k? Or their dues? 

We are a mid to late 30's couple new to the Tampa and looking for a club membership more for the pool especially, and also bar/social aspects. I'd like to golf occasionally, but that is near the bottom of my concern. Live in Seminole Heights and would prefer to stay within 20 mins or so. Carrollwood seems like an option, struggling for anything else.

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

New member here, found this thread via a google search.  If it is not approved to reply and I should start a new thread I apologize.

Currently I reside in Ohio but, my wife and I will be moving to Tampa in 2022 for work.  Do these private courses mentioned on this thread offer Young Professional(under 35) rates? We currently belong to a private country club in Ohio where full member initiation is $35K and monthly dues are $850 a month.  The under 35 rate is 50% of that and increases on my bday when I turn 35.  

I am trying to gauge over the next 6-9 months where I would look to belong/join a wait list.  We would look to live in either Pinellas County or West Chase and the most important factors are #1 golf and #2 family friendly environment (kids).

On 7/17/2021 at 12:49 PM, Kinger610 said:

New member here, found this thread via a google search.  If it is not approved to reply and I should start a new thread I apologize.

Currently I reside in Ohio but, my wife and I will be moving to Tampa in 2022 for work.  Do these private courses mentioned on this thread offer Young Professional(under 35) rates? We currently belong to a private country club in Ohio where full member initiation is $35K and monthly dues are $850 a month.  The under 35 rate is 50% of that and increases on my bday when I turn 35.  

I am trying to gauge over the next 6-9 months where I would look to belong/join a wait list.  We would look to live in either Pinellas County or West Chase and the most important factors are #1 golf and #2 family friendly environment (kids).

Stay out of Pinellas. There are no options for what you’re looking for and it’s already overcrowded. 

Edited by ilikegolf26

23 hours ago, ilikegolf26 said:

Stay out of Pinellas. There are no options for what you’re looking for and it’s already overcrowded. 

I wish I could control that piece from a living situation haha.  My in-laws live in Safety Harbor and so does my brother in-law.  I will most likely live in Pinellas County as my wife is very close with her family (reason for the work relocation, it was a request).  

With it being so overcrowded, I assume waitlists.  Are there any I should try to get added onto?  

2 hours ago, Kinger610 said:

I wish I could control that piece from a living situation haha.  My in-laws live in Safety Harbor and so does my brother in-law.  I will most likely live in Pinellas County as my wife is very close with her family (reason for the work relocation, it was a request).  

With it being so overcrowded, I assume waitlists.  Are there any I should try to get added onto?  

I’m not sure about private club waitlists. I’m just talking in general, Pinellas County is so overcrowded and they just keep jamming more and more apartments and condo buildings on to any little piece of land they can find. 

I know this thread is pretty old but thought I would give it a shot. We are potentially moving to Tampa and wanted to get a review on Hunter's Green. We have some family that lives in that part of Tampa/Wesley Chapel. We are looking for a club and value pace of play, availability, and family environment as we have 3 kids who are into golf but also love the pool etc. Course conditions are a plus but we don't need something super exclusive and actually probably don't want to spend what it costs for an initiation at such a place. Looks like Hunters Green has a membership category that also allows access to Tampa Palms, Eastlake and Countryside. Not that I know much about those courses but I like the idea of being able to play somewhere else if my home course was hosting an event or tournament. Thanks for any input you can provide. 

On 5/26/2021 at 4:40 PM, jerebear21 said:

See how far you are from southern hills. Another possibility since you’re going to be so far up there. I love southern hills. 

I LOVE Southern Hills.  Have friend who is a member and we play when I visit him.  Love the practice area and short course (or whatever it’s called) 

If I ever moved back to the TB area I’d locate in that area and join for sure. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

• 1 month later...

Love all the input from everyone.  I am a bit surprised Feather Sound CC has not come up once.  It’s a private club and is in the middle of Tampa Bay Area (Clearwater).  What are your guys thoughts?  Obviously it is not in the league of OM or PGC….

I have played OM a few times and it is a special place.  But as mentioned before, it’s a day commitment.  If considering membership, do consider it is a walking only course and the cost of caddy’s.  

Palma Ceia has crazy long waiting list…. As of recent check it is about 3 years for Social Membership (max 2 rounds of golf a month) and 11 years for full Sr. Membership….

I’m considering a membership of my own and thinking of Feather Sound for convenience and max play time.  Have kids, so considering the ability of taking them with to learn…. Any other ideas?  In South Tampa, so proximity is a consideration. 

On 7/25/2021 at 12:30 PM, bbaileyco said:

I know this thread is pretty old but thought I would give it a shot. We are potentially moving to Tampa and wanted to get a review on Hunter's Green. We have some family that lives in that part of Tampa/Wesley Chapel. We are looking for a club and value pace of play, availability, and family environment as we have 3 kids who are into golf but also love the pool etc. Course conditions are a plus but we don't need something super exclusive and actually probably don't want to spend what it costs for an initiation at such a place. Looks like Hunters Green has a membership category that also allows access to Tampa Palms, Eastlake and Countryside. Not that I know much about those courses but I like the idea of being able to play somewhere else if my home course was hosting an event or tournament. Thanks for any input you can provide. 

I love the course at Hunters Green. It is a sister course to mine (both ClubCorp). The head pro used to be the head pro at my course, really good guy. Plus you would have a hockey hall of fame member as well (Dave Andreychuk).

On 9/4/2021 at 12:06 AM, MishaZ said:

Love all the input from everyone.  I am a bit surprised Feather Sound CC has not come up once.  It’s a private club and is in the middle of Tampa Bay Area (Clearwater).  What are your guys thoughts?  Obviously it is not in the league of OM or PGC….

I have played OM a few times and it is a special place.  But as mentioned before, it’s a day commitment.  If considering membership, do consider it is a walking only course and the cost of caddy’s.  

Palma Ceia has crazy long waiting list…. As of recent check it is about 3 years for Social Membership (max 2 rounds of golf a month) and 11 years for full Sr. Membership….

I’m considering a membership of my own and thinking of Feather Sound for convenience and max play time.  Have kids, so considering the ability of taking them with to learn…. Any other ideas?  In South Tampa, so proximity is a consideration. 

The issue with Feather is that you have no idea what your’e going to get.  They are in the middle of a huge renovation currently but they still have yet to come up with a master plan for the course.  Members are totally in the dark and I imagine they now will have a pretty steep initiation.   The owner really has no idea about anything golf related or how a golf course should be presented.  I really hope it turns out well but quite frankly, I have some reservations.  

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jerebear is the resident expert according to the thread. But here am I to interject my opinion to the original topic. 

have lived in Tampa since 1996 so I’ve seen a lot come and go through the years 

Also, Every club of any substance in Tampa has a waiting list at this point in time. But if we’re talking Tampa proper (Hillsb. country) The only golf clubs worth discussing are:

OM

Palma Ceia 

Avila

Now extending the grid to Pinellas you add: 

Belleair 

Pelican 

*Feather (haven’t played since the Reno) 

Now trying to rank those 5 

OM: best (current) course from architecture stand point - not saying much-. Solid practice area and conditions.  Also the best hang and logo, but a bring your own game joint. 100k+ initiation and deep waiting list for local members

Belleair: West course reno will make this this best golf course in the Bay Area by a mile. Exited to see final product. 50k initiation plus a deep waiting list 

PC: great social club and membership. Fantastic test of golf for what it is. Only traditional proper golf club in the Tampa area. Good luck getting on the waitlist and enjoy your wait 

Avila: typically decent conditions. Terrible architecture (9,10). Great under 40 program, solid practice facility 

Pelican: great conditioning, horribly boring architecture. Stuffy membership (cute blueberry jackets) and staff. Might be a fun hang if you’re not paying the bill. 50k+ and a waitlist and hope you’re a friend of the Doyle’s to get on it 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CDM said:

Looked up Pgc based on your comment.  What makes it so special?  Just the location? 

It’s the membership.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x