MEMBER REVIEWS: Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons! See What Members Are Saying!

On 2/14/2021 at 3:13 AM, rxk9fan said:

Now having exposure to the ZX5 and MMC, do you have any longing to test the ZX7?  I have hit all and in my mind, The MMC and ZX7 would be where my decision would have to be made from at least 7i - PW.  I would think the feel, sole size, and playability of the MC and ZX7 would be a more in line with one another, and the ZX5 closer to an HMB, if anything Mizuno?

In the feel department, I would rate the ZX7 first, followed by the MMC, and then the ZX5...FWIW.

The thought has occurred to me that the ZX7 might be a more apples to apples comparison, that's for sure.  But at the present at least, the answer is no - and I'll tell you why.  

I think that my experiences with the ZX5, coupled with my last three twilight rounds, have lead me to realize that the MMCs are a bit too much for me right now and that I'm grateful to have the ZX5s.  These past few months I've not played nearly as much as I used to so there's definitely a need for something that's gonna help me more than the MMCs would.  The MMCs are wonderful, wonderful clubs and I think that if I was able to dedicate the time to get myself back to where I was the ZX5 wouldn't be..necessary?  I think that I'm also realizing that working the ball which while a point of pride that I can do so (most of the time) hitting it long and straight is better (a lot of folks might facepalm with a resounding DUH reading that) for me now.

• Like 2

great review, thanks

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

15 hours ago, PureStrikes54 said:

Was able to do some additional grass testing with these. Building on my initial review I think I've done enough testing to come to a conclusion on these making a run for my bag in the 2021 season. My standard for picking a gamer is the new club has to be significantly better in some aspect of the game I may have been struggling in or just crazy improvements on a strength. 

Pros:

• Very forgiving design even in the Zx7. Playable by the best of the best to even probably 10-12 handicaps. 
  • Much longer, about 10 yards longer through the bag than my gamers with better launch characteristics validated by a launch monitor
  • More technology in the club than traditional blade designs
  • Confidence inspiring in the long irons. Just incredible long irons
  • Just a really good players club design
  • Great feel from Endo Forging and 1020 carbon, comes close to matching a true blade. More on the true blade than player's cavity spectrum.
  • V Sole has a bit of a funny feel off mats but is just awesome off grass. Much better turf interaction than the Mizuno's. 
  • Immediate PGA tour validation from a guy that was previously struggling and won 4 Majors with another manufacturers clubs

Cons:

• Do not like how Srixon measures "standard" length. I would prefer they measure how most other manufacturer does or make this clear when ordering. They do something strange where they measure without the grip so their "standard length" is about 1/4" to 3/8" over length in most other OEM's. Trying to get used to them being a little longer but might have them trimmed.
  • Draw Bias- Noticeable draw bias in these irons at least for my swing. If your miss is a hook definitely will need to order with weaker lofts or flatter. 
  • Lack of workability. As I mentioned before these are a "hitters" club. Guys like Brooks that just get up and smash the ball and play predominately one flight. Guys that like to work the ball both ways, hit off speed stuff, or "massage" a lot of shots would probably be better in a blade design or waiting for a replacement in the z-forged. 

That being said, with long iron play being the weakest part of my game these have officially put the Mizuno blades at #2 on the depth chart for the foreseeable future. Will wait and see how these hold up under tournament conditions but can say Srixon really stepped their game up with this release and am happy to game these. 

I ordered my combo set + 3/4" and they are bang on. Not sure how you are measuring but if you measure to the end of the butt cap it will be about 1/8"-1/4" longer. Always measure to the second white ring, thats where the end of the shaft sits. (on Golf Pride grips)

• Like 1

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

27 minutes ago, drvrwdge said:

I ordered my combo set + 3/4" and they are bang on. Not sure how you are measuring but if you measure to the end of the butt cap it will be about 1/8"-1/4" longer. Always measure to the second white ring, thats where the end of the shaft sits. (on Golf Pride grips)

Yeah, there's been a lot of confusion with this in the past of some measuring to the end of the grip cap others not. I was in the boat of being used to grip cap thickness being accounted for. Not a big deal to blow the grips off and get these trimmed just a mini soapbox rant on wishing the OEM's would come up with something uniform. 

This thread is a can of worms but has a lot of insight on how most of the manufacturers have some slightly different method. 

How does OEMs measure Club lengths .... - WRX Club Techs - GolfWRX

Finally had chance to do some more testing. I went out on Wednesday doing what I had previously done, hitting different irons off the tee and playing different yardages into greens. I started out swinging terrible but got better. Still noticed a little draw with the irons. 

Yesterday I got my first 18 in. Conditions were difficult with a cool and strong breeze blowing all day. The overdrawing the ball was nonexistent. 

Today is what I consider a good test. Just a light breeze at times and more like the normal conditions I play in.  I hit my driver really well today so I was able to hit irons from the fairway. Once again no overdraw today.  

The ZX7’s are so solid. The feel is solid. I can tell when I have missed one, but the it still feels solid. The feel is firmer than Mizuno but that is by no means a negative just slightly different.

I hit everything high and these are no different but it’s not ballooning. Sometimes my ballflight is more floating than I would like. That seems better with the ZX7. It could be because of slightly stronger lofts. Even with the lofts there is not a noticeable difference in distance. I was hoping I might pick up some distance but I think it’s a good as can be expected for the type of iron I play. I do think these are better on slightly heavy strikes. 

I’m so impressed with the ZX5 4 iron. The feel is once again very solid. A little firmer and a little clicky off toe when compared to the 7’ but I t’s incredibly forgiving...just wants to fly high. Truthfully, I don’t know if I can hit it lower because I haven’t tried. 

I haven’t decided what will be my gamers yet but right now I give the edge to Srixon.  In a month I’ll be playing Tobacco Road, Pine Needles and Mid-Pines so I’m anxious to make a decision on what to take with me. 

Has anyone else found the Srixon ZX7s to feel a little weird/scrapey off of mats? I know the sole design is different, so I am wondering if they are better off of grass compared to mats? I have not had the opportunity to hit them off of grass. The other irons I hit felt normal, but the Srixons just felt a little off on the mat.

9 hours ago, moorebaseball said:

Has anyone else found the Srixon ZX7s to feel a little weird/scrapey off of mats? I know the sole design is different, so I am wondering if they are better off of grass compared to mats? I have not had the opportunity to hit them off of grass. The other irons I hit felt normal, but the Srixons just felt a little off on the mat.

yeah saw that in my testing too. the v sole feels a little clunky and sticky off mats but cuts through grass awesome. Much better off turf than mats. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PureStrikes54 said:

yeah saw that in my testing too. the v sole feels a little clunky and sticky off mats but cuts through grass awesome. Much better off turf than mats. 

That is good to hear! I have heard only great things about them, so I wanted to make sure I was losing my mind hahaha! 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, PAndaemonium89 said:

Just ordered Zx7: 7-Pw to try. Considering adding zx5 5-6i if I like them.

Got fitted for MMCs awhile back, anyone got insight to how these compare? I tend to get a little steep on my less then ideal swings, heard the v-sole may help?

Yeah that’s the exact strike pattern the v sole is supposed to help mitigate. What I observed on grass is the sole would strike the turf and cut right through with no “slowdown” feeling vs. the kind of sticky feeling you get with a traditional sole where you strike the turf and the club sticks a tiny bit. One caveat to watch for though is they feel totally different on mats. The v sole feels a bit clunky on mats but is great on grass. Should be a good fit. 

Edited by PureStrikes54
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/8/2022 at 6:11 AM, Sunhyun said:

I got combo of ZX5 5/6/7 and ZX7 8/9/P/A. And I made good scoring with the Irons. One thing to share is I was a bit embrassed to see A wedge design is different with others, and the distance of A wedge is not that consistent for me.

How do you like the set up of how you have split up the ZX5/7 at 7iron? 

I was looking at combo set deciding if like you getting a set with the ZX7 (8-P) or is there much difference keeping the ZX5 7 iron as it is.

I like the thin sole of the ZX7 in the shorter irons and can play a 7 iron in the ZX7 but the ZX5 7 iron does offer the extra power and forgiveness. 

Thanks for any thoughts on the combo set split.

Edited by Begbie
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Begbie said:

I was looking at combo set deciding if like you getting a set with the ZX7 (8-P) or is there much difference keeping the ZX5 7 iron as it.

I like the thing sole of the ZX7 in the shorter irons and can play a 7 iron in the ZX7 but the ZX7 iron does offer the extra power and forgiveness. 

Thanks for any thoughts on the combo set split.

I play the ZX5s through the bag, and don't feel like I'm missing anything... The 5s are plenty "workable".

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

9 hours ago, Begbie said:

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyway in typical WRXer fashion. 

I play ZX5 in 5,6 and ZX7 in 7-Aw. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I thought anything to myself about if I was holding a ZX5 or a ZX7 while actually playing golf. No issues with gapping between them either. 

The WRXer in me is screaming to try some hollow body jacked loft distance irons to try to milk out a few more yards. The golfer in me is like, LOL, no these are perfect thank you. 

• Like 3

Handicap .5

Current Bag:
Big Dogs: G410 for Fades, G425 for draws

FW: Ole Blue but stays on the porch most rounds

Hybrids: G425, Cobra  King Tec
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: PM Grind 54/58

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: Srixon Z-Star Divide

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 3:40 PM, sniper said:

Finally had chance to do some more testing. I went out on Wednesday doing what I had previously done, hitting different irons off the tee and playing different yardages into greens. I started out swinging terrible but got better. Still noticed a little draw with the irons. 

Yesterday I got my first 18 in. Conditions were difficult with a cool and strong breeze blowing all day. The overdrawing the ball was nonexistent. 

Today is what I consider a good test. Just a light breeze at times and more like the normal conditions I play in.  I hit my driver really well today so I was able to hit irons from the fairway. Once again no overdraw today.  

The ZX7’s are so solid. The feel is solid. I can tell when I have missed one, but the it still feels solid. The feel is firmer than Mizuno but that is by no means a negative just slightly different.

I hit everything high and these are no different but it’s not ballooning. Sometimes my ballflight is more floating than I would like. That seems better with the ZX7. It could be because of slightly stronger lofts. Even with the lofts there is not a noticeable difference in distance. I was hoping I might pick up some distance but I think it’s a good as can be expected for the type of iron I play. I do think these are better on slightly heavy strikes. 

I’m so impressed with the ZX5 4 iron. The feel is once again very solid. A little firmer and a little clicky off toe when compared to the 7’ but I t’s incredibly forgiving...just wants to fly high. Truthfully, I don’t know if I can hit it lower because I haven’t tried. 

I haven’t decided what will be my gamers yet but right now I give the edge to Srixon.  In a month I’ll be playing Tobacco Road, Pine Needles and Mid-Pines so I’m anxious to make a decision on what to take with me. 

Have noticed any issue with the ZX irons being low spin as some of the reviewers point out? Does playing a ball with more spin help out in this area. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Begbie said:

Have noticed any issue with the ZX irons being low spin as some of the reviewers point out? Does playing a ball with more spin help out in this area. Thanks.

I haven’t had any spin issues but I tend to be on the higher spin side and typically play a Pro V1x. Truthfully that may not be the best ball for me. 

• Like 1

Srixons are definitely lower spin from my experience, but still drop and hold. I’m all in on the new ZX7 mkII when they open for preorders in the US. Going to pair it with Pro V1x, which should further assist the spin. New iron faces also appear to have more detail between the grooves that may assist with added spin? I’m not the perfect candidate as my swing is a little shallow, but it’s a work in progress and I always score well with Srixons.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2022 at 12:33 PM, COmedic said:

Srixons are definitely lower spin from my experience, but still drop and hold. I’m all in on the new ZX7 mkII when they open for preorders in the US. Going to pair it with Pro V1x, which should further assist the spin. New iron faces also appear to have more detail between the grooves that may assist with added spin? I’m not the perfect candidate as my swing is a little shallow, but it’s a work in progress and I always score well with Srixons.

I recently made the switch from 2017 P790's with the DG 105 to Zx7 with the modus shafts.   These are by far the best feeling iron I have hit.  I love the v sole interaction with the turf.  I'm a 10-15 handicap depending on the day, and I swear these are more forgiving than the T790's.  My P790's use to hit and release a far bit.   The irons were simple to adjust to as they are nearly identical to my P790's.  The only difference is I have to club up to account for zero roll out or minus a couple feet.  Even on ok mishits, it still only rolls out 10 ft or so.

LIke you, I could switch to the less spin ball but I think I like the control with limited roll out.  I'm ok clubbing up to account for it.

• Like 1