2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Srixon ZX7 Gap Wedge

Ryan19jwu

Just got my ZX7 A-Wedge delivered last night!

For anyone that wants to know how it compares to both the ZX7 irons and the RTX Zipcore wedges, here’s a couple of pics.

Basically looks like the sole, face, and heel, are almost identical to the ZX7 PW, but the back looks more similar to the Zipcore (or maybe Z-Forged irons). Not sure why they made it different cosmetically, but hopefully just as good as the ZX7’s!

ADD65C70-93FB-4D87-BCE6-468C5FCE0961.jpeg

7EBAFB30-D7BB-499C-872F-1E82B6E8A072.jpeg

5195BE80-E110-424C-9BDE-B79FF8B1E714.jpeg

61168651-4B54-40C8-AACC-44AC33C6F5EF.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

6 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Just got my ZX7 A-Wedge delivered last night!

For anyone that wants to know how it compares to both the ZX7 irons and the RTX Zipcore wedges, here’s a couple of pics.

Basically looks like the sole, face, and heel, are almost identical to the ZX7 PW, but the back looks more similar to the Zipcore (or maybe Z-Forged irons). Not sure why they made it different cosmetically, but hopefully just as good as the ZX7’s!

ADD65C70-93FB-4D87-BCE6-468C5FCE0961.jpeg

7EBAFB30-D7BB-499C-872F-1E82B6E8A072.jpeg

5195BE80-E110-424C-9BDE-B79FF8B1E714.jpeg

61168651-4B54-40C8-AACC-44AC33C6F5EF.jpeg

I use the gap wedge from the old z745 series as my gap wedge, and it performs well. More iron like than wedge like at address, but the sole is wedge-like. Not too dissimilar to your newer version, in fact. It's forged, right, whereas the Zipcore is cast?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I use the gap wedge from the old z745 series as my gap wedge, and it performs well. More iron like than wedge like at address, but the sole is wedge-like. Not too dissimilar to your newer version, in fact. It's forged, right, whereas the Zipcore is cast?

Nice...gotta use whatever works well for you. Just had my first round with the ZX7 AW and even without any range time, it was the best I've hit any Gap Wedge all year! Basically every approach shot and chip that I hit with it were within 6-10 ft.

And yeah exactly, the ZX7 AW is Forged, whereas the RTX Zipcore is Cast iron.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I have one, just got it. To me it plays like kinda a hybrid between a "set" wedge and a "specialty" wedge, which is probably perfect for me. It spins well, I mainly use gap wedges for full shots so this is perfect for me. If anything I would have preferred if the PW was more like the AW, but hey they are great clubs. 

• Like 1

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

2 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Nice...gotta use whatever works well for you. Just had my first round with the ZX7 AW and even without any range time, it was the best I've hit any Gap Wedge all year! Basically every approach shot and chip that I hit with it were within 6-10 ft.

And yeah exactly, the ZX7 AW is Forged, whereas the RTX Zipcore is Cast iron.

It quickly became my favorite club. So much so, was hesitant to pull the fiber 95r to install a 105s mmt 

• Like 1

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

On 9/28/2021 at 6:22 PM, bomberman said:

I have one, just got it. To me it plays like kinda a hybrid between a "set" wedge and a "specialty" wedge, which is probably perfect for me. It spins well, I mainly use gap wedges for full shots so this is perfect for me. If anything I would have preferred if the PW was more like the AW, but hey they are great clubs. 

On 9/28/2021 at 6:31 PM, Russ757 said:

It quickly became my favorite club. So much so, was hesitant to pull the fiber 95r to install a 105s mmt 

After getting 4 rounds in with it, the ZX7 AW is quickly becoming one of my go-to/favourite clubs too!

Much better for full swings than my previous 50* or 52* RTX Zipcores were, but just as good for partial swings and chip shots around the greens. To each their own, but this A-Wedge is exactly what I’ve been looking for over the last couple of years!

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, 9ironiscash said:

Is the zx7 gap available in lefty? I know the zx5 gap isn’t. 

Just checked the Srixon website, and yes the ZX7 AW is available in Lefty.

• Thanks 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

• 7 months later...
On 10/3/2021 at 12:31 PM, BallerNate said:

After getting 4 rounds in with it, the ZX7 AW is quickly becoming one of my go-to/favourite clubs too!

Much better for full swings than my previous 50* or 52* RTX Zipcores were, but just as good for partial swings and chip shots around the greens. To each their own, but this A-Wedge is exactly what I’ve been looking for over the last couple of years!

Just curious if you have some long-term feedback?

I currently have the ZX7 4-PW along with a 50/56/60 Zipcore RTX.  I like the zipcores, but I am curious about trying to ZX7 AW and matching the shaft to my irons (Modus 120x).  At some point it may be hard to buy the AW once it goes out of production, so I figure if I want to secure one it could be good to go ahead and just buy it new.  

Does anyone have insight into how far the ZX7 AW (either stock or bent to 50deg) is compared to the Zipcore?  

Right now I am hitting these distances (typical standard deviation would be ~3 yds for me):

SW-56: 105 (Zipcore)

GW-50: 120 (Zipcore)

PW: 135 

9i: 150

8i: 165

The gapping is currently okay, and wouldn't want to mess with it too much.  120-125 is about right for the GW/AW, and I may even think about getting the PW bent 1 strong to push it toward 140.  

• Like 1

================================

Callaway Paradym 10.5 w/ GD Tour-AD XC-7x or Speeder Evo III 661 TX

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5 w/ Speeder Evo IV 661 TX

Titleist TSi2 15* w/ Tour AD DI-7x or Speeder Evo I 757x

Callaway Paradym 3HL 16.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70tx

Callaway Apex 19 4 Hybrid 23* w/ Diamana 'ahina 90x hybrid

Srixon ZX5 3i w/ Modus 105x

Srixon ZX5 4i-5i w/ KBS Tour V 120x

Srixon ZX7 4i-AW w/ KBS $-Taper 130x

Cleveland RTX-4 Zipcore 56* & 60* 

56 minutes ago, Rob_X said:

I currently have the ZX7 4-PW along with a 50/56/60 Zipcore RTX.  I like the zipcores, but I am curious about trying to ZX7 AW and matching the shaft to my irons (Modus 120x).  At some point it may be hard to buy the AW once it goes out of production, so I figure if I want to secure one it could be good to go ahead and just buy it new.  

Does anyone have insight into how far the ZX7 AW (either stock or bent to 50deg) is compared to the Zipcore?  

Right now I am hitting these distances (typical standard deviation would be ~3 yds for me):

The gapping is currently okay, and wouldn't want to mess with it too much.  120-125 is about right for the GW/AW, and I may even think about getting the PW bent 1 strong to push it toward 140.  

Yeah, I could answer that question.

I had both the RTX Zipcore in 50* and 52*, and the ZX7 AW (51*) with the matching shaft to my Irons (Modus Tour 120).

In my experience, the ZX7 AW spun a lot less, launched lower, and played a lot more like the ZX7 PW and short irons than the Zipcore 50* or 52*. I much preferred the ZX7 AW and found spin, launch, and distance more controllable and fit my gapping better.

My yardages are shorter than yours and I play Stiff shafts rather than X-Stiff, but still comparable.

What I will say though is that the Zipcore 50* and 52* were better for partial shots and shots around the green than the ZX7 AW, so just depends what you’re looking for and whether that club is mostly a full swing club for you or not.

• Thanks 2

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, Rob_X said:

Similar to above. Lower launching and lower spinning(that’s a plus for me). I’m in a similar distance window(AW 125-130 if I push it) and I just find it easier to hit with full shots. 

i absolutely love it for a bump and run and much prefer it to the Zipcore for that. The 50* is a touch more versatile around the greens, but not enough to make a difference as my 55* is perfect for most shots. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Yeah, I could answer that question.

I had both the RTX Zipcore in 50* and 52*, and the ZX7 AW (51*) with the matching shaft to my Irons (Modus Tour 120).

In my experience, the ZX7 AW spun a lot less, launched lower, and played a lot more like the ZX7 PW and short irons than the Zipcore 50* or 52*. I much preferred the ZX7 AW and found spin, launch, and distance more controllable and fit my gapping better.

My yardages are shorter than yours and I play Stiff shafts rather than X-Stiff, but still comparable.

What I will say though is that the Zipcore 50* and 52* were better for partial shots and shots around the green than the ZX7 AW, so just depends what you’re looking for and whether that club is mostly a full swing club for you or not.

48 minutes ago, Ryan19jwu said:

Similar to above. Lower launching and lower spinning(that’s a plus for me). I’m in a similar distance window(AW 125-130 if I push it) and I just find it easier to hit with full shots. 

i absolutely love it for a bump and run and much prefer it to the Zipcore for that. The 50* is a touch more versatile around the greens, but not enough to make a difference as my 55* is perfect for most shots. 

Thanks to you both for the feedback. FWIW, my Zipcores have S400 shafts in them.

I like the sound of what you are saying.  I do sometimes feel that I hit my wedges a bit higher than necessary and get plenty of spin.  When I hit my Zipcore 50deg on a CG Quad recently, I was getting 28-29 deg launch, 9000-9500 spin, and ~100 ft height with a Srizon Z-star XV.  

GW is essentially only used as a full shot club for me.  I have played around with a wedge grid or whatever with 1/2 and 3/4 shots, but realistically I will almost never hit a GW as a partial shot.  105 and in and I will be using the SW and LW exclusively.

Around the greens, my strong preference is to just manipulate the face of my SW and use it for most shots.  I played for many years with just a SW and got used to that, though I still experiment and it would be interesting to mess around with it.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob_X said:

Thanks to you both for the feedback. FWIW, my Zipcores have S400 shafts in them.

I like the sound of what you are saying.  I do sometimes feel that I hit my wedges a bit higher than necessary and get plenty of spin.  When I hit my Zipcore 50deg on a CG Quad recently, I was getting 28-29 deg launch, 9000-9500 spin, and ~100 ft height with a Srizon Z-star XV.  

GW is essentially only used as a full shot club for me.  I have played around with a wedge grid or whatever with 1/2 and 3/4 shots, but realistically I will almost never hit a GW as a partial shot.  105 and in and I will be using the SW and LW exclusively.

Around the greens, my strong preference is to just manipulate the face of my SW and use it for most shots.  I played for many years with just a SW and got used to that, though I still experiment and it would be interesting to mess around with it.    

If you’re looking for a full swing club with comparable performance and gapping to your ZX7’s, then you should really like ZX7 AW!

And if you don’t like it, just flip it on the BST, Lol! 😉😎

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

If you’re looking for a full swing club with comparable performance and gapping to your ZX7’s, then you should really like ZX7 AW!

And if you don’t like it, just flip it on the BST, Lol! 😉😎

Said just like someone that has almost 3000 posts here...  but yes, I am leaning toward just doing it.

• Haha 1

Similar feedback here. Zx7 with pxg 6.5. My distances are similar to yours, maybe just a shade shorter (pw closer to 130). Zx7 Aw is 115 to 120 for me. The slightly lower spin on the zx7s is perfect for me. My sm8s spin quite a bit with the pxg 6.5. So i use the aw for most shots between maybe 105 and 120. I am a fan.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone 9' w/ Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5

3Wood: Cobra King Radspeed Big Tour 14.5' w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 6.5

Hybrid: Cobra King Radspeed 2 Hybrid 17' w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.5

Irons: Srixon ZX5 (4 & 5 iron), Srixon ZX7 (6 thru AW) w/ Project X T 6.5

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 54/10S and 58/8M w/ Project X T 6.5

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Teryllium II Santa Fe

1 hour ago, Rob_X said:

Said just like someone that has almost 3000 posts here...  but yes, I am leaning toward just doing it.

🤣🤣🤣 Indeed!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

can anyone compare the zx7 attack wedge to the zx5 attack wedge? 

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

11 hours ago, 06VistaGT said:

Similar feedback here. Zx7 with pxg 6.5. My distances are similar to yours, maybe just a shade shorter (pw closer to 130). Zx7 Aw is 115 to 120 for me. The slightly lower spin on the zx7s is perfect for me. My sm8s spin quite a bit with the pxg 6.5. So i use the aw for most shots between maybe 105 and 120. I am a fan.

Thanks for the feedback!  I have no shortage of spin on full AW shots, so I don't mind giving up a little bit.  

I put in the order, so hopefully I will be enjoying it in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the ZX7 AW yesterday and took it to hit at the range (mats) today.  Definitely like it, and feels a lot softer compared with the RTX Zipcore 50*.  I like the zipcore too, but definitely not as soft feeling/sounding.  

Perhaps the biggest other difference is the bounce.  I have the mid bounce zipcore at 10*, and the ZX7 is 8*... but I have it bent 1* strong, so the bounce is effectively 7*.  I will have to see if that yield a turf interaction I like more/less than the zipcore.  

If I am able to get to a launch monitor soon, I will compare the two.

Got on a GC Quad this morning to compare them.  Definitely prefer the ZX7 based on feel.  I think I was slightly more accurate with the Zipcore, but I chalk that up mainly to me being used to it at this point.  

RTX Zipcore 50*, mid bounce (10*) - S400 shaft (probably seen 10 rounds plus range session)

ZX7 AW bent 51* -> 50*, 8* stock bounce - Modus 120x shaft  (brand new)

The differences in performance were somewhat minor, and some it could be down to shaft differences and/or minor loft differences.  In theory the zipcore should be 50 deg and the ZX7 AW was ordered directly from Srixon bent to 50 deg (1 strong).

The ZX7 did seem to spin slightly less and launch a touch lower, as was mentioned in this/other threads about it, but I like it and still plenty of spin.  I also got a bit more ball speed for whatever reason... maybe the lofts are not both exactly 50*.  

I like the 125 yardage of the ZX7 better than 120 for the zipcore, as it fits my gapping slight better (PW ~ 140).

Capture.JPG

7 hours ago, Rob_X said:

Got on a GC Quad this morning to compare them.  Definitely prefer the ZX7 based on feel.  I think I was slightly more accurate with the Zipcore, but I chalk that up mainly to me being used to it at this point.  

RTX Zipcore 50*, mid bounce (10*) - S400 shaft (probably seen 10 rounds plus range session)

ZX7 AW bent 51* -> 50*, 8* stock bounce - Modus 120x shaft  (brand new)

The differences in performance were somewhat minor, and some it could be down to shaft differences and/or minor loft differences.  In theory the zipcore should be 50 deg and the ZX7 AW was ordered directly from Srixon bent to 50 deg (1 strong).

The ZX7 did seem to spin slightly less and launch a touch lower, as was mentioned in this/other threads about it, but I like it and still plenty of spin.  I also got a bit more ball speed for whatever reason... maybe the lofts are not both exactly 50*.  

I like the 125 yardage of the ZX7 better than 120 for the zipcore, as it fits my gapping slight better (PW ~ 140).

Capture.JPG

Agree 100% with all of this. I have had the ZX7 AW since last fall, bent strong to 50* and I love it!! It does everything I want. The reason I went with it is I loved the irons and wanted my gap wedge to feel and perform like the irons. I do not use my 50* around the green, and if I have to it would be a long bump and run.  Only thing I will add to the post above is I think the ZX7 and 50 ZipCore look very similar and if the finish was the same it would be hard to tell the difference from address. Also the sole on the mid grind 50* is very similar to the ZX7 AW

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

• 1 month later...

I have zx7 irons and rtx zipcore 52 and 58, all with project x 6.5 shaft.

below is my club distance

pw: 140

52: 110

58: 90

I have huge gap between pw and 52 and when I tried zipcore 50 the distance was 125-130.

I was trying to switch 2 wedges to 3 wedges by getting 50, 54, 58 (recently learned about 4 degree gap system). But after reading this thread I wonder if zx7 aw would resolve my gap or should I consider 3 wedges.

Any advices on how should I set up the club? what would be the optimal set up for me?

6 hours ago, mntk04c said:

I have huge gap between pw and 52 and when I tried zipcore 50 the distance was 125-130.

I was trying to switch 2 wedges to 3 wedges by getting 50, 54, 58 (recently learned about 4 degree gap system). But after reading this thread I wonder if zx7 aw would resolve my gap or should I consider 3 wedges.

Any advices on how should I set up the club? what would be the optimal set up for me?

I play zx7 and my PW is 140. Gaps below:

PW 140

AW 130

54 - 115

The AW seems to fly lower and a little less spin than the corresponding 50* RTX. I much prefer it. Perfect gap for me and easy to take yardage off. 

Keep in mind that I would always rather make a shorter swing than try to smash one which makes this work for me. I know that’s not the case for everyone. 

Edited by Ryan19jwu

10 hours ago, mntk04c said:

What are you trying to achieve? A 3 wedge set-up or tighter gaps?  Not BOTH are possible unless you tweak the loft between your wedges.  For starters you can try making your 52* wedge a  51* or 50*, however, that means your gap to the 58* wedge will be larger.  But you could achieve something like 25yds between your pw and 51* and then another 25yds between the 51* and 58*.

Edited by rondre3000

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

It is a great looking club but I couldn't get along with the ZX7 AW at all when I tried it out.  It felt okay and went straight but the yardage variances per shot compared to the ZX7 PW were not to my liking.    IMO, the AW is more of a 6 hcp club whereas a 12 hcp like me could play the rest of the ZX7's with few problems, especially if they only went up to a 6 iron like me.    If anyone is on the fence and concerned, just get a CBX 51 for an AW and make your life easier.   I basically did that same thing back in 2015 when I had z745's. 

Edited by Keyser Sфze

• 9 months later...

Got a question for the ZX7 players. 
I use my set 46 degree PW. I’ve been using a 50-54-58 set up for the last few years but want to sell my Jaws wedges and buy some Vokeys. I want to go to a 3 wedge set up now. What 2 wedge degree in vokeys would you recommend buying after the set PW? And would you go with 50 or 52?

Edited by CMZ24