MEMBER REVIEWS: Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Golf Ball! See What Members Are Saying!

889487349_QST_DIVIDE_POSTER-redversion(1).jpg.a86bca4d129f17ec038a1635af0545bc.jpg.16fdc5465717ea55ecbe0f75f603726a.jpg

We have 10 members testing out the Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Golf Ball. The members listed below will be reporting back to the community on their performance and what they are seeing on the course while using this product. Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have, as the testers will be happy to answer them! The testers are:

@Tanner25
 @rkillian
 @DennyJones
 @PINSEEKER72
 @Nickiet55
 @ry1808
 @Tupperwolf
 @ksher84
 @Andrew0425
 @nosedive32

Thank you to @Srixon / Cleveland Golffor putting on this testing event for our outstanding members!

Following. I have a hard time tracking balls much past impact. And finding them in the rough!

Ping G425 Max 9*// Ventus Velo Black 6x
TM Stealth+ 15* // HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.5
Ping G425 Hybrid 19* // Tensei Pro Orange 80S
Mizuno 919 Forged 4-GW // KBS Tour V 110 S
Ping Glide 3.0 56.14* WS / SM7 Raw 60.04* // S200
Ping Redwood ZB // Lamkin Sinkfit Straight

Very excited to have received these in the mail yesterday. I didn't have time to take them out to the course with me after work so today is the day! I have a golf league tonight (weather depending) and I will be trying them out there and letting everyone know! Thanks! 

I received the balls the other day. We just got a new puppy this weekend so my hands have been pretty full chasing the little guy around, but I have a tee time on Sunday so I hope to give the balls a try, at least on the practice greens and in play for a few holes.  Looking forward to it, thanks for the opportunity to test these intriguing balls Srixon and GolfWRX!

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Thank you @GolfWRX_Official and @Srixon / Cleveland Golf for the opportunity to test these. Mine showed up last night so I haven’t gotten a chance to test these yet. 

I’m an assistant golf “coach” at the high school I teach at and girls season practices have just started up. We’re playing a par 3 course today (greens were recently punch there) and 9 holes at our home course on Thursday so I’ll report back at the end of the week. 

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

"Full" 10-Club Bag currently looks like this:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Titleist 818H1 25* Fuji Atmos Black 9s

Callaway Mavrik Pro 7-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

Vokey SM9 50.08F

Vokey SM9 56.10S

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

Really appreciate the opportunity. Although, I like the QST, I don't think I would have bought it. So, it is nice to give these a test run. They are really cool to putt with. I will practice with them and share some reviews. On course reviews to follow after that. My son will love these too. He likes balls that are different. 

QST.jpg

Edited by Tanner25

Way too long breakdown of a round I played at my home course this afternoon upon receiving my dozen QST Divide yellow / red. 

Quick background. 7 Handicap (Prior to this round). Driver swing speed is around 93 on a bad day. Around 99 on a good day. Have tested a number of balls in various categories this year but settled back on Pro V1X (Had been using previous generations for a few years now). Have played QST occasionally in the past and thought it was a really good value ball. See signature for WITB if curious.

Balls previously tested this year in order of personal preference:

2021 Pro V1X

2021 Chrome Soft X

Vice Pro Plus

2019 TP5X

Chrome Soft X LS

Cut Blue

Top Flite Gamer

Callaway ERC Soft

Conditions - Medium fairways Soft greens 90 degrees 10 MPH wind gusting to 15

Hole 1 - 360 yard dogleg left par 4. Out of bounds right. Tree lined. Hit a 3 wood that didn't really fade. Came of as a low hot knuckler (my general flight off a tee with 3 wood. Longest 3 wood I've ever hit on that hole. Maybe my longest tee shot on that hole. Had what I eyeballed as 80 yards. Hit it about 25 feet past the pin with a 54 degree. Our greens are soft bent. Ball was about a foot short of the pitch mark. Attempted to use the divide to line up my putt on 1. I've toyed with Triple Track and the Pro V1X Aim before. Definitely prefer both to this but Im not one to generally prefer lining up something on the ball anyone. It fits my eye line better to aim the putter down my aim line. I 2 putted with about a 3 foot clean up. 

Ball felt strange off of every club. Not a bad feel but unique. I've never played with a matte cover before. Definitely not overly soft like some balls but nothing near firm. I'd describe it as a dull feeling. Particularly off the 3 wood and putter.

Hole 2 - 140 yard significantly downhill par 3. Back pin. 9 is usually too much. Wedge isn't enough to get to that pin without a hard hook (which I cant hit with the ZX4 short irons). Push into the right bunker even with the middle of the green. Exactly as I would expect for direction and distance with the swing I made. Sort of chunky bunker shot by accident. Ran out more than Id expect by a few feet so it was good. Made a 7 footer for par.

Hole 3 - 530 yard par 5. Forced layup off the tee. Fatted my 4 hybrid. Layup second was a good cut 3 hybrid. Distance was as expected. starting to see a pattern that the ball doesn't curve much. Third was a chippy 9. Came up just short. Chip was about 30 feet. Had 15 feet of fringe to cover. Thinned it pretty badly. Went 25 feet by. Feel like a Pro V1X punishes me less on that strike. Made the putt.

Started to notice that while I don't like divide for aiming putts I love how it helps me see break as the ball rolls.

Hole 4 - 500 yard par 5. Drive was a bit heely but did well. Had 240 in. Pulled my 3 wood into some trees next to a creek. Ball must be lucky because somehow it wasnt in the creek. (A First) 75 yard wedge shot off a bare lie. Tried to play a low driving 54 under limbs and one hop it to a back left pin. Ball checked up immediately. Two putt par.

Hole 5 - 190 yard par 3. Right pin. Usually a 4 hybrid. Hit a high cut 4 hybrid (Maybe faded a yard or two, this ball generally wasn't curving much). Landed about 10 feet left and stopped within 2 or 3 feet. Made a 10-12 footer for birdie.

Hole 6 - 370 Yards Uphill into the wind. Hit a high pull fade but out of the middle of the driver. Wind killed the ball in air and got little if any roll. Had 145 in. Seems standard given the conditions. Hit a bad second shot. 20 yard pitch from a good lie in the rough. One hop and stop. Made par.

Hole 7. 400 par 4. Straight pull left but solid. Had to try and hook a 7 iron from about 160 around trees. Was curious if I could work this ball enough. I over did it and clipped a limb. Had almost an identical pitch to 6. Hit the exact same shot. Exact same result.

Hole 8 313 par 4. Tight tee shot with water lurking left and if you go further down right as well. Laid back with a cut 3 wood. For once once I heeled and left one open it did curve into trouble but not by much. Second from 75 ish yards. Chip and run 8 iron under a tree. Was surprised it ran out as much as it did. 3 Putt from 40 feet past. Poor speed on a long down hill put. Hit such a poor putt the divide break visual assist did not save the comebacker.

Hole 9 - Dogleg left par 4 340. Beautiful tight draw 3 wood over the bunker at the corner. 100 yards in. Wedge came up short in the front middle of the green to a back left pin. Not blaming the ball. I quit on it. Ball may have actually helped. Ball pretty much sat where it landed. Left a 35 footer about 6 feet short. Pace control with longer putts starting to be an issue. Saved par.

Hole 10 - 190 downhill par 3. 5 Iron into right greenside bunker. Standard. Terrible lie in the back of the bunker. Thought I caught it ok. Slightly thin. A "spinnier tour ball" might have held the fringe. QSTD did not. pitch coming back lipped out.

Hole 11. - Dogleft right par 4. Drive ended up where a good fade always does (except shorter than a monster CSX LS fade that literally doesn't spin). Missed a wedge slight wedge trying to get to a tucked pin. Had a foot of rough, 2 feet of fringe, and 15 feet of green in my way. Chose to bumb a 3 wood. Ball reacted nicely. Went about 4 feet by. Divide helped seeing the break there again.

Hole 12 - dogleg left par 5. Took an aggressive line. over water. Actually went too far and had a bit of a tree issue for my second from the right side of the fairway. Tried to hammer a 3 hybrid between clubs from about 210-215ish. Didn't fade. Was pin high though so a plus for distance. Flop shot reacted as expect but I pull nuked it to 25 feet. 2 putt par. Ran it 3 feet by but divide helped with seeing the comeback line.

Hole 13 - 130 par 3. Over water. Back pin. Front pin at 120-125 is max PW. Had to hit a 3/4 cut 9. Ball had some sauce when it hit the green. missed a 15 foot birdie.

Hole 14 - Tee shot gives me nightmares. 370 slightly uphill. If you miss the fairway right youre in thick rough and you have massive trees blocking the green. Piped a tight draw to about 120 out. PW was pushed slight but achieved about 3 feet of backspin.  Two putt par from 15 feet.

Hole 15. Forced layup short 4. Hit 3 hybrid further down then I ever have before on this hole. Had about a 60 yard flip 58. Flag tucked back left behind a ridge. Land it on said ridge and get some one hop and stop to 4 feet action. Birdie.

Hole 16 - 175 significantly downhill par 3 Trees left keep me from really trying to play a cut but its my natural shot with mid to long irons. Usually hit it on the middle of the right side of the green. Pin was dead middle. Today I hit 7 iron. Barely faded one a yard in there. Landed 3 feet short right at the pin. Finished 3 feet right even with the pin. Birdie.

Hole 17. 370 Downhill narrow tee shot. OB right. Big pull hook left. Had to hit a little low punch slice runner. Used driver. Curved plenty. Another 20 ish yard pitch shot. Judged landing and rollout really well again. Ball was reacting exactly as I would expect. Made a 7 footer for par.

Hole 18 - 475 uphill  dogleg right par 5. I need a good one down the left to reach in two. I hit an ugly low heel strike that did reasonably well but I was not far enough down or left to go at the green because of the trees. Laid up to 50-60 yards. 3rd from the rough. Back pin on a shelf. Land it right on the shelf. One hop to 4 feet.

I then lip the 4 footer on the low side to shoot 1 under 70. I joined this course this year. I probably have 50 rounds on it plus 5 in the past. 74 was my previous low here. 73 is what I'd call my best round at a "real course" (I've shot 69 on a really dinky par 69 and 71 on a dinky par 71). (1.1 Differential - Previous career best was 2.8 I think)

TLDR Breakdowns

Distance - Good. Up there with most premium balls and other mid tier balls. Not the longest or shortest of the balls I mentioned testing this year with any club. Probably upper half at least.

Feel - Similar to other mid tier balls that are softer than tour balls but not your silly soft budget

balls yet a very weird sensation that might be attributed to the matte cover. It definitely seems different than prior generations of normal QST). Felt most odd off the putter.

Spin - Seemed very good for a ball in this category. Seemed to have plenty with the wedges and irons and kill it pretty well with the longer clubs. Of the balls I mentioned only the Pro V1X, CSX, and Vice Pro Plus spun more. 

Durability - I played 18 holes with 1 ball. It took a couple trips to the trees. My wedges only have a few rounds on them. The ball does not look it has been touched. Seriously. It's nuts.

Value for money - If you cannot justify playing whatever "premium" ball fits you best, or you really don't benefit from "premium" balls over "mid tier balls with premium materials" definitely try this ball. I seriously might switch. I'm going to milk this dozen for as long as possible then make a decision as I only have 1 dozen Pro V1X yellow left.

Divide - As strictly a putt alignment tool it's not for me. Triple Track or even Titleist AIM is better. However, the divide look is amazing for seeing how chips and putts are breaking. Same goes for a ball spinning in the air. Its very easy to follow the ball mid flight (and pick it back up in flight if you lose it) and quick to find in a variety of lies. I think its brilliant and I'm not sure why its been forever since anyone has done this.

Dispersion - I seriously feel like a number of the swings / strikes I made would have finished further offline with any other ball I've played recently. My bad shots were more controlled. Just going off results with similar feeling swings with the same clubs.

Bottom Line - This round dropped my handicap from 7.1 to 6.1 - It was the first time I ever broke par. I'm more than intrigued. Hopefully I can get out this weekend and test the ball on a firmer course and see if it still holds up.

Edited by nosedive32
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon Q Star Tour 

I received my dozen Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide yesterday.   I ran directly to the practice green to get a feel for putting, chipping and pitching.   

A little about my game.   I'm a bogie golfer shooting anywhere from low 80s to mid 90s.   I have trouble with my short game but putt fairly well for my handicap.   I usually play with the Callaway Supersoft.  

My first thought when seeing them: This ball will be wonderful to help with putting, using the Divide line to get the ball rolling properly.   I normally don't use lines on my golf balls but thought this could help.    I putted for about 30 minutes with both the Divide and the Supersoft.   There is a noticeable difference between the two.     First, the sound, the Divide was quieter while the Supersoft had its usual click sound when struct in the center of the putter.    Second, the Divide seemed softer off of the putter.   It seemed to need a dash of extra push to get the same distance as the Supersoft on off center putts.    As much as I tried, I couldn't get use to the idea of using the Divide line to start my putt.    I practice with a metal yard stick and it's not as distracting watching the colors rotate as I suspected but using the Divide line doesn't work for me.   My friends all want one ball for just this type of practice!

Chipping and pitch shots didn't seem to make a noticeable difference initially near the practice green.    The green was a little damp from the rain about 30 minutes prior.  

Today, I decided to hit the course and compare the two balls.    Try as I might, I couldn't lose the Divide.   On two consecutive holes, I hit wayward shots that found tight bushes and each time I found the misguided ball.    The ball is very easy to see on both the fairway, long grass rough and in the brush.   I was comparing the Divide to an orange Supersoft and by far, the Divide was much easier to see/find.   I also compared them to a white ball.   The contrast of the yellow and red are very noticeable.    I was worried about seeing the flight of the ball but once the ball starts spinning, yellow becomes the predominate color which again makes it easy to see. 

The Divided does have more spin around the greens.   On a couple of holes I hit both balls from about 75 yards with a sand wedge and the Divide rolled out less than the Supersoft.     A well stuck shot with the Divide just feels right.

The Supersoft is suppose to be a longer inexpensive ball but the Divide seemed to be longer.   My best drives of the day were with the Divide.  

I believe this is as real world as it gets for amateur golfers.   I hit my gamer and the Divide for each shot.   When I hit the Divide, I moved the Supersoft to that location to compare each shot.   There were times where I thought the Supersoft performed better but more often the Divide was a better ball.  

Thanks to Srixon and WRX for the opportunity to test these ball.  I definitely will be adding them to my arsenal.  

• Like 1

I would like to start by thanking @GolfWRX_Official and @Srixon / Cleveland Golf for the opportunity to test these balls out. I love what WRX is doing for the golf community and it just is a lot of fun to have a site like this for a golf nerd such as myself. I am 26 years old and an 8 handicap, but I can put some really good rounds together at times. I normally drive the ball fairly well, and my short game is usually what I rely on. The course I play is a little 9 hole track with tight fairways and small greens that normally run quick. The course isn’t always in the best of shape with uneven grass growth and what seems to be about 5 different types of grass scattered throughout the course, but it is a lot of fun to play and it is a great group of guys. I normally play the Bridgestone Tour BXS ball because I am just a guy who doesn’t spin the ball a lot, so I need something that can add a little spin for me. The QST balls in the past when I have played them are probably my favorite ball in the 3-piece urethane construction world because they perform similarly to a tour ball, but I think you do lose just a little bit of spin compared to a four/five piece “tour” ball.

Alright, so I was able to take the QSTD ball out last night for my league. I will preface this with the fact that I work for a small golf retail shop on the weekends so I have seen the balls in person, but I haven’t played with them on the course. When we have them in the store, we have used them on our little putting green so it has been something that has caught my eye, so I was very eager to test them! Now, onto the first time on the course with them last night.

Before league started, I actually hit some putts on the putting green (which I never really do). It was a lot of fun honestly to see how the ball breaks and if you hit a good putt that rolls end over end. The red and yellow combination is really cool and probably my favorite of the bunch that they have released. I have a Bettinardi Tour Dept BB0 DASS Tri Sole putter that I use so it is a really soft putter and the ball just adds even more softness to it I think. I actually like it to feel a little bit softer off the face which I find to just help me really feel where it comes off the putter and if it rolls well.

So, after some time on the putting green, it was time to take it out to the course. I will probably just walk through a couple of holes to give you guys and idea, but it was a really windy night last night in Northwest Ohio, so I was really curious to see how the ball performed. The way the course is set up, about five holes play into the wind, and three holes play downwind, with the one hole playing more of a cross wind.

The first hole is a 500 yard par 5 that is fairly easy, but there is a lot of trouble that can turn an easy birdie/par into a bogey/double in an instant. I hit a great drive and could just feel it pop off the face, which left me about 185 in but I had to hit a high cut up and over the tree. I actually hit it how I wanted to, but I struck it a little bit out of the toe. The ball was about 5 yards short of the green, but it was buried in some of the worst grass on the course. I chopped it out and hit it how I felt I would hit a 10-yard shot, and it went about 5 feet. I chipped it again and the club just got caught in the grass again so it went about 10 feet but onto the green. I left myself with about a 10 foot putt up the hill that was breaking right to left. This is where I really noticed the ball doing wonders. I lined up the putt and it just seemed like it was so easy to get the line and put it where I wanted to. I hit the putt and it was rolling well and I knew it would break into the hole so I just knew about halfway there that it was going to fall in the hole.

The only other hole I really want to highlight is the 7th hole, which is about a 200 yard par 3. It was playing about 195 yesterday because it is a little downhill. The wind had actually subsided because it was just raining about 15 minutes prior to that. I hit a five iron which I thought was going to be short, but long of that green is just not the best place to be in the world. I hit it really well and it was starting to draw over toward the hole. My favorite thing about this ball is honestly just watching it fly through the air. You can see it turning over and it just was so cool to see. I hit it to about 7 feet and lined the ball up to where I thought it would be breaking to. I hit the putt right where I wanted to, but the ball broke probably 6 inches more than I thought. Everyone in our group just kind of looked at each other confused as to how that putt broke that much, but hey it is an easy par at the end of the day.

It was a really good night for me last night with the ball. I shot a 36 (one over par) and played really well the whole night. I had two bad bogeys and a good birdie, so I certainly shouldn’t complain. The ball really performs quite similarly to the Z-Star I felt, but it is a bit softer and you can tell it doesn’t spin as much as a Z-Star, but it still spins really well around the greens, which is where I like the spin the most. I really enjoyed the ball and it was just so easy to play with and line up around the green. It also stands out when you are driving by and looking for it. The rough at my course isn’t super high, but you can definitely lose some balls in it if you aren’t careful. I would say that this is one of the best balls for the money, and I don’t think you would really be sacrificing much compared to a lot of tour balls. Plus, the divide idea is a really cool little way to get people asking questions and just curious about the ball, so it is great marketing by Srixon. I had about 5-10 people come up to me and just ask me about the ball, so that was fun to be able to talk to them about it and just what was going on.

Thank you again for this contest and putting this ball into our hands to try them out. I really appreciate all that you guys do, and I am just very impressed with this ball all around. It performs incredibly well for the price point that it is at and the Divide idea is just one of the coolest things out there right now in my opinion.  

Edited by Nickiet55
  • Like 1

Thanks again to @GolfWRX_Official and @Srixon / Cleveland Golf I’ve gotten out 3 times since receiving mine.

I’m a 16hcp according to the app I use; I don’t keep an official one. I generally shoot in the mid-eighties to mid-nineties depending on how the various parts of my game are going. 

Par 3 Course:

It was very easy to follow flight in the air, off irons and wedges it looks mostly yellow/orange but had a slight “strobe like effect.” Felt soft off irons but not marshmallow-y like cheaper lower compression balls. Spin was good enough for me, no problem stopping. Greens were recently punched but I liked how easy it was to line up puts. I found it easier to trust my line with divide than with a regular line on a ball. 

9-Hole non-home course:

I’ve only played this course one other time. It’s longer than my home course and has a lot of doglegs that force you to hit shorter tee shots and longer approaches. Again, I like the divide design for lining up putts. It just seems easier to line up to me. I only really use it (or used a line) inside 6 feet or so.  Like I said, the course has a lot of dog legs and I don’t know it they well so I Only hit driver once but it was one of my best if the summer it landed in a fairway bunker. My GPS said I was about 305 from the tee but I think I was closer to 290. I was finding the ball easy to follow in the air for a late afternoon round. 

18 holes at my home course:

Greens were still recovering from being punched last week and it was pretty wet. With a 6:57 time the ball was actually a bit harder to follow in the air compared to previous experiences with it. I think this was due to it looking a little orange in the early morning light. And when it would land red side up, it was harder to find in the taller stuff. 

Initial takeaways after the first few rounds:

I had been playing the Z-Star XV, ProV1x, and Kirkland 3pc 2.0. I have played the original Q-Star tour in the past, so if you’re familiar with that ball, this ball performs no different. I like the price-point/performance balance in this segment and the QSTD sits nicely in there. I had no durability issues. It felt great off irons and wedges, got enough spin for me, and felt nice off the putter, on the soft side but not mushy, still solid. No complaints off the driver either. 

I’m looking forward to continuing to play this ball. For me the biggest reason to play it is how easy it is for me to line up putts. I also like playing a colored ball but someone I play with regularly plays yellow and this is a nice way to play a color and still be different from him.  As of right now, I’ll probably buy another dozen. 

Vokey SM9 50.08F

Vokey SM9 56.10S

White Hot OG #1

I put the Divide in play for a few holes today.  I played the first 11 holes with my regular ball, a TP5x Pix, in 6 over par, then decided to switch over and get some feedback with the Divide.

I found the feel off the driver a bit odd; I'm used to a fairly solid 'thwack' and this ball provided a different feel, more of a hollow 'ping' sensation.  Unlike the AVX, which feels like a lovely marshmallow off the driver, this one felt a bit softer but I wouldn't consider it pleasant.  It was serviceable, though I think my drives were around 8-10yd shorter than I would be expecting.  My playing partners commented that they thought the ball might be too soft from the driver, although I have to say I didn't have any particularly wayward shots, hitting 5 of 7 fairways.

I hit the Divide off a hybrid into a long par 4 and it had a really perfect flight right at the pin, though landed just short of the green; I chipped up and made the putt for par.  I flew the green on a shortish par 3, and though I probably hit a more full shot than I intended, I think this ball flies well from the shorter clubs.  Chipping and pitching was fine, with the ball ending up where I expected on a couple of shots that I had to make from off the green.  I also had to blast out of some fescue just right of the green, and hit the ball out of a fried egg lie, which resulted in a really great sandy par.

Where I felt the Divide shone was in putting.  I had 3 3-putts on the front 9 with my TP5x for a total of 20 putts, and had three 1-putt greens and four 2-putt greens with the Divide, culminating in 14 putts on the back, quite an improvement.  Maybe I was just getting the hang of the green speed, but I really liked watching the Divide roll end-over-end.  I don't use the divide as an alignment aid, just put one solid color up and roll it, but watching the strobe effect really gives a sense of speed.

Overall I think the ball itself is OK, I'd rate it maybe 7/10 for my game.  I think the color feature is interesting, and though I wouldn't play it full time, I think these balls will make for an excellent option on the practice green.  I wouldn't be surprised to see people using them to practice chipping and putting, then playing with another ball.

Thanks again @GolfWRX and @Srixon / Cleveland Golf for the opportunity!

PXL_20210815_180958669.jpg

Edited by Tupperwolf

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Sorry for the delayed review of these balls and a huge thank you to Srixon and GolfWRX for the opportunity.

I have had the opportunity between the thunderstorms over the past week to use them on the chipping green, putting green and course for a few holes.

I am as 12 handicap (either can't putt/chip or can't drive).  Driver swing speed  is around 115.

First off I thought the Srixon Q-star Tour was a great ball that I have overlooked for a few years.  The ball performed really well on almost every club.

Putting:  The ball had a nice solid feel.  I don't think it felt as soft as a low compression ball (Chrome soft or AVX) but not as hard as a TP5x.  I found the divide alignment nice for lining up putts.  I do feel that it helps in ensuring the ball starts on the intended line.  It won't help you read the greens.  I had hoped that my strike would be so pure that the line would stay perfectly vertical while it rolled on a straight putt but that was not the case...This may be due to not having the stripe perfectly perpendicular to the ground or due to a poor strike.  In either case I think this ball could be invaluable as a putting aid.  One could easily putt with this ball before playing a round with the traditional white Q-star tour.

Chipping:  It was pretty cool to see the end over end color pattern when chipping.  I can't say that improved my chipping but it helped with feedback and being able to visualize different amounts of spin.  This was most noticeable when chipping with different clubs (60*, 54*, PW, 9).  When playing on the course you can still see the spin however you can't lift the ball to align it perpendicular to your target line.  Not a big deal but something to keep in mind.

Driving:  The ball seemed to be fairly low spin off the driver (I am a high spin player) and I got some of my longest drives with this ball.  I realize that this could be due to strike but the colors may have helped in "focus."  You can align the divide towards the target line or put one color face up.  I tried both and its easy to track the ball while in flight.  The ball is easy to spot in the fairway so that was a plus.  

Overall:  The Q-Star Tour was a ball that I overlooked but won't anymore.  I am curious to see if Srixon will bring their Z-Star (white/yellow) to market.  I'll pick up some if they do.  The yellow/red divide is a good ball to play but I think I'll keep at least one in the bag to practice putting with while I continue to test against my current gamer (ProV1).  Again huge thank you to Srixon and GolfWRX.

A564514F-426F-4820-AA34-84B72C456467.jpeg

Edited by Andrew0425

A purchased a box of these and really enjoyed them.  Great for putting and awesome around the green.  The only downside is less distance with the longer irons and driver.  4 iron is almost 1/2 club shorter and driver about 5mph less ball speed as measured on the GC2/HMT.   This almost certainly due to the lower compression.  

I would love to see this color option on the Z Star XV!

Very interested in this thread... have a senior friend (really) whose eyes are failing him when it comes to tracking his ball flight much beyond 150 yards.   Even a ball in the fairway we need to get close to, let along the rough.  He's tried the different neon hues without a lot of luck, so hoping the high contrast here might be the answer as he really enjoys the game.

I have put this ball in play for a few more holes.  I feel that the balls are very durable and I still say that they are about a 7/10 for me.  I would not personally choose to put them in play simply because the loss of distance off the driver for me (100-105 swingspeed) was far too noticeable.  I think the biggest advantage these balls will have is for folks like above, who have difficulty tracking the ball in flight.  Both colors, yellow and red, are easy to spot in green grass - although I almost walked past my ball a couple of times because I forgot I was supposed to be looking for a different color than white (and I've spent a lot of time playing neon yellow balls exclusively).

As it is I would be very interested in trying the white/yellow Z-Star XV as that might be better for my game while still providing the visible strobing while spinning that makes these balls appealing to play.

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

wow, so many long posts, hard to read them all with the amount of detail. I picked up a dozen of these (yellow/red) to try based on seeing an ad and this thread. I split the box with my friend and i.

originally was going to use these primarily for putting to watch the line and see that i was putting pure. initially the ball was quite distracting as the colors are quite bright. this was against a scotty cameron phantom 7. the ball kind of dominated the view vs. the alignment lines on the putter itself. took a bit getting used to lining up putts on the equator but it's worth it to see how the ball is rolling. feel of the ball seems fine to me off the putter. possibly a tad softer than regular pro v1 but not hard to adjust to.

biggest surprise was using it off the tee. just smoked it. i swear must have felt like 10+ yds gain. my friend experienced the same thing. we were both pretty dang amazed.

ball feels softish but not too soft. just right.

let's say on a par 3 you can see the ball relatively easily on the initial shot. as it get's closer to landing it felt harder to see vs. a white ball.

blasted 2 shots into the deeper rough/trees but no problems finding it with the bright yellow/red standing out.

feels like these balls are lower spinning so good off the tee or longer iron shots. haven't played enough with them to really get a feel around the greens with chip shots.

overall surprisingly pleased with it and look forward to playing with it some more. if the distance proves to be really true i can't wait to use these against my friend who swears by his pro v1, wait til my friend and i smoke it by him by 10+ yds every time.

• Like 1

I finally managed to get some time on course with these new Divide golf balls, thank you @GolfWRX and @Srixon / Cleveland Golf for setting this up.

Quick background... I am a scratch golfer, high spin player with driver club head speed in the 112-115 range depending on how well I'm swinging the club. My game ball is a Titleist -ProV1 so about as far from the Srixon Q-Star divide as you can get in terms of performance. 

I will break down this review into 2 parts, first the on course and then some trackman numbers which will come at a later date. 

I was given the opportunity to test the yellow / orange ball and it certainly has a unique look and feel from just holding them in your hand. The surface is a matt finish which I've never really used before so it was interesting from that point to start with. Just chipping and putting with them around the house they certainly have a softer feel from what I'm used to which is nice around the greens but I already worried about driver launch windows and spin numbers. 

On the course the feedback with the long clubs was better than expected, with a driver the ball definitely launched higher and had more spin which is something I'm continually fighting so the average distance compared to my gamer was only down 10-15 yards. With my irons the overall distance was similar, maybe half a club shorter but a nice feel off the face. The wedges provided good response with a nice amount of spin, more than my gamer ball but not as much as some of the premium 'high spin' balls on the market. Putting felt good as I expected and had a nice roll.

Positive impressions: This is a solid ball which performs very well and gave good performance on the golf course, nothing I'd be unhappy with, I just know it's not the ball for my swing characteristics (but I never expected it to be). Of course the divide scheme really helps on putting and getting instant feedback on your stroke, strike and roll (in the right conditions).

Negative impressions: The optics of the ball flight from inside 100yards or so. As the ball spins with the divide profile it really looks like the ball 'wobbles' in mid air and can be a little strange at first. Not sure if anyone else found this. The other 'negative' is something that appeared to me as a side effect of where I think the ball is strong. On a green you are always trying to align this ball perfectly and on putts over a certain length with break it'll start to look like you hit poor putts if the divide alignment doesn't stay perfectly upright. 

As a training aid: I think it's fair to say this isn't a ball I'd put into play but it's probably not designed for me as a golfer. Where I would use this (and have been for the past week or so) is on the practice putting green. Anything inside 10 feet or so you can get instant feedback on the quality of your strike and face angle at impact. The hardest thing is ensuring that the divide line is perpendicular to start with otherwise you'll end up thinking you've hit a poor stroke when in fact you've hit it well! I'm tempted to 3D print a little alignment bracket to help with this. Anyway attached is a short video of the Q-Star Divide in action (may need to work on my focusing!):

I will update next week when I've had a chance to get these on a Trackman.

Edited by ry1808

Still playing them; switching between these and my Z Star XV. The XV seems to fit my game a bit better and I will buy and try the Yellow/White Divide when it comes out. I still like the divide for lining up short putts. 

Vokey SM9 50.08F

Vokey SM9 56.10S

White Hot OG #1

7 hours ago, ry1808 said:

I finally managed to get some time on course with these new Divide golf balls, thank you @GolfWRX and @Srixon / Cleveland Golf for setting this up.

Quick background... I am a scratch golfer, high spin player with driver club head speed in the 112-115 range depending on how well I'm swinging the club. My game ball is a Titleist -ProV1 so about as far from the Srixon Q-Star divide as you can get in terms of performance. 

I will break down this review into 2 parts, first the on course and then some trackman numbers which will come at a later date. 

I was given the opportunity to test the yellow / orange ball and it certainly has a unique look and feel from just holding them in your hand. The surface is a matt finish which I've never really used before so it was interesting from that point to start with. Just chipping and putting with them around the house they certainly have a softer feel from what I'm used to which is nice around the greens but I already worried about driver launch windows and spin numbers. 

On the course the feedback with the long clubs was better than expected, with a driver the ball definitely launched higher and had more spin which is something I'm continually fighting so the average distance compared to my gamer was only down 10-15 yards. With my irons the overall distance was similar, maybe half a club shorter but a nice feel off the face. The wedges provided good response with a nice amount of spin, more than my gamer ball but not as much as some of the premium 'high spin' balls on the market. Putting felt good as I expected and had a nice roll.

Positive impressions: This is a solid ball which performs very well and gave good performance on the golf course, nothing I'd be unhappy with, I just know it's not the ball for my swing characteristics (but I never expected it to be). Of course the divide scheme really helps on putting and getting instant feedback on your stroke, strike and roll (in the right conditions).

Negative impressions: The optics of the ball flight from inside 100yards or so. As the ball spins with the divide profile it really looks like the ball 'wobbles' in mid air and can be a little strange at first. Not sure if anyone else found this. The other 'negative' is something that appeared to me as a side effect of where I think the ball is strong. On a green you are always trying to align this ball perfectly and on putts over a certain length with break it'll start to look like you hit poor putts if the divide alignment doesn't stay perfectly upright. 

As a training aid: I think it's fair to say this isn't a ball I'd put into play but it's probably not designed for me as a golfer. Where I would use this (and have been for the past week or so) is on the practice putting green. Anything inside 10 feet or so you can get instant feedback on the quality of your strike and face angle at impact. The hardest thing is ensuring that the divide line is perpendicular to start with otherwise you'll end up thinking you've hit a poor stroke when in fact you've hit it well! I'm tempted to 3D print a little alignment bracket to help with this. Anyway attached is a short video of the Q-Star Divide in action (may need to work on my focusing!):

I will update next week when I've had a chance to get these on a Trackman.

IMG_0832.mov 7.44 MB · 0 downloads

Something preventing me from downloading your video.  "We could not locate the item you are trying to view."

I've had such good success with these balls (yellow/orange) that I'm going to put them into play for our upcoming member guest. I love seeing the spin action around the green & for some reason, I believe I've picked up distance. 

The distance component really surprised me because past versions of the Q Star Tour were horrible for me. They spun too much off the tee and just sat where they landed. I recently bought 5 dozen Vice Pro Plus after playing well with a trial dozen, but the Divides are giving me more consistent & straighter distance. 

I tried using the color divide as an alignment aid for putting, but I found it tedious. The problem is caused by the line going all around the ball. I putt with my eyes slightly inside of the ball instead of directly over the ball, so it created an illusion that the line had a subtle arc shape and it would cause me to loose confidence in my target line. I solved the problem by positioning the ball so all I could see was the yellow side and line up the word Srixon perpendicular to my target line. 

Thank you Srixon & GolfWRX for selecting me for testing.

Player info: 14HCP (really struggling this season)  Driver SS ~93.  My regular ball is the standard white Q Star Tour.   

What interested me the most about trying the Divide was feedback and practice for putting.  Typically I only use an alignment line on putts within ~6 feet and just set the logo side up on long putts.  I did find the Divide easy to set up the alignment using the color split line on both short and long putts.  On long putts where I didn’t want to bother with setting up the divide line, I just set the ball up with one of the solid sides facing up.  I do like the visual feed back the ball provides for quality of stroke.  I’ll probably keep a few of these in my bag going forward to use exclusively for putting green practice.   

Matte finish looks great and has been pretty durable so far.  Hit a lot of full wedge shots and ball still looks pretty new.  The colors are very vibrant and easy to track in the air.  Strobing visual is interesting and it’s very satisfying seeing the strobing stop/slow when a ball checks up.  In the rough, I found the blue a little more difficult to spot than the others especially if the yellow side was not visible.  I would like to see them offer these colors in a solid color ball.

AED7C41A-B695-431D-98A9-D206C48777EF.jpeg

Finally got out with these. First off I must say, I don't like matte balls. In my opinion they don't feel as well as their white counterparts. I love the white QST.  The divides are definitely cool around the green, they check well. It's great to see the ball spin on chips and putts. I will give the remainder of the balls to my son who will find the divide colors very cool. They would be great practice balls. Appreciate the opportunity to test these out. 

• 2 years later...

I've alternated playing Z-stars and Chrome Soft X this year. I occasionally fine a Divide on the course and will occasionally play it. I like the white/yellow on the Z-star better than the first offerings of the divide. I have 3 on my putting matt right now but haven't put them in play since being a tester here.

Vokey SM9 50.08F

Vokey SM9 56.10S

White Hot OG #1