Significant weightshift adds 12 mph to my swing

chipa

3 minutes ago, chipa said:

There are lots of different teaching methods nowadays, from super technical very position oriented instruction to Manny de La Torres, who discusses very little mechanics.

What I am proposing is somewhere in the middle. I believe the golf swing is quite complicated and becoming too overloaded with swing thoughts hurts the brains ability to make a "connection" and use the complete body efficiently.

I would recommend you go hit softballs at a batting cage until you feel like your legs are doing a lot of work. When you try to make a golf swing with this type of leg action your current hand and arm mechanics may be a hindrance as I found out on my own, in other words the way I held the club and wanted to route it on the backswing prevented my from getting a good weightshift. To that end I would say keep your grip light, your arms in front of your body and at some point after the takeaway begins to push your left hand away from the target until you feel your legs pushing the other way. Pushing the left hand back is also a classic technique that I read about when I started playing golf in the 90's. Good luck.

Pushing your left hand back until you feel your legs pushing the other way is borderline "X" factor to me (who knows), but in general not good advice for any golfer as an intent. You'll fail in transition and will likely make the issue you think you are fixing worse.  You can read all the tips, watch all the videos you want but thinking you can toss them together and construct some method is just a waste of time unless you get academic enjoyment out of it. But that's really not a reason to think you have designed a method to "help" other golfers. 

Now . . . want to get better in the context of working on your own swing without trying to be an "instructor" or telling qualified instructors they don't know what they are talking about on here?

Simple . . . . start a swing "journey" thread.  Good examples on here - model it after the good examples. Put up a vids of your swing DTL and FO (not to demonstrate anything, just as a baseline).  Explain what you are working on, document your progress with video as you make strides, if you can find an instructor to stick with and work at it.  That will help other golfers, not by listening to your pronouncements, but by seeing what it takes to get better because you won't be doing it with shortcuts.  Be receptive to advice, or don't ask for any, or be patient with the inevitable advice that isn't what you are looking for, if you don't want it, just show what you are learning or what works and you may be surprised by the support you get.  Then all of these ideas are collected in one place and maybe serving a purpose for your improvement, if that's what you are after.  Most of us are.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, chipa said:

There are lots of different teaching methods nowadays, from super technical very position oriented instruction to Manny de La Torres, who discusses very little mechanics.

What I am proposing is somewhere in the middle. I believe the golf swing is quite complicated and becoming too overloaded with swing thoughts hurts the brains ability to make a "connection" and use the complete body efficiently.

I would recommend you go hit softballs at a batting cage until you feel like your legs are doing a lot of work. When you try to make a golf swing with this type of leg action your current hand and arm mechanics may be a hindrance as I found out on my own, in other words the way I held the club and wanted to route it on the backswing prevented my from getting a good weightshift. To that end I would say keep your grip light, your arms in front of your body and at some point after the takeaway begins to push your left hand away from the target until you feel your legs pushing the other way. Pushing the left hand back is also a classic technique that I read about when I started playing golf in the 90's. Good luck.

I know you mean well, thanks.  You have no idea what I am working on, you are like the other guys I play with trying to give me swing tips; it shows lack of awareness.  But I smile, like I do to them, say thanks, and I will continue to work on what I am working on, which is the same things for over 18 months.  AND, there is no f'n way I am going to hit softballs in a cage to work on leg action.  This is the only way you find me at a batting cage, one handed like this...

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

I know you mean well, thanks.  You have no idea what I am working on, you are like the other guys I play with trying to give me swing tips; it shows lack of awareness.  But I smile, like I do to them, say thanks, and I will continue to work on what I am working on, which is the same things for over 18 months.  AND, there is no f'n way I am going to hit softballs in a cage to work on leg action.  This is the only way you find me at a batting cage, one handed like this...

No I don't know what you are working on. This thread is directed for players that are willing to look into other options to pick up easy speed w/o using so much shoulder turn. Good luck in your swing journey, I'm on my own as well.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

On reflection...I think I have been a bit unkind in my comments. From your posts you seem to have some physical limitations especially due to your back and it seems you have / are developing a swing to suit this.

However, this does not necessarily mean your ah ha moments will necessarily suit others with less or different physical conditions. This is possibly where criticism of your ideas may come from.

But nevertheless weight / pressure shift to the right side is an essential part or the back swing ..people will argue over whether the downswing is a push from the right heal or pulling back the left hip it is so quick to that feel is not real.

For instance Michael McTeigue supports your right leg push while others find the feel of this difficult.

In the end whatever method feel or real it needs to be synchronized . So just to cite one aspect without encompassing this in a fully synchronized swing can often not be very helpful.

Here's the relevant Michael McTeigue video 

Bear with it!

To add: the weight (prefer pressure shift) and pushing off right was clear to follow but what you said about your right and left arms was not... Someone showing these moves/feels could be educating (sorry!)

Edited by Nickc
To Add:
  • Like 1

If you haven't tested the natural tendancies of a person, e.g., their natural pivot axis, grip placement, swing planes, rotation limits, stance width, etc., throwing out random swing ideas can make things worse.

It's like a doctor walking into a treatment room, giving you a diagnosis, writing you some prescriptions and telling you some procedures you'll need, but no one has said a word to you or examined you yet.

• Like 2

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

19 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

If you haven't tested the natural tendancies of a person, e.g., their natural pivot axis, grip placement, swing planes, rotation limits, stance width, etc., throwing out random swing ideas can make things worse.

It's like a doctor walking into a treatment room, giving you a diagnosis, writing you some prescriptions and telling you some procedures you'll need, but no one has said a word to you or examined you yet.

Chipa, please listen to guys like this.

Im sure you mean well, but you are way overstating cause and effect. For many, any feel of pushing off the right leg will slide the hips forward and leave the torso behind. Bryson has as little weight shift as anyone, and leads driving distance..

4 hours ago, milesgiles said:

Chipa, please listen to guys like this.

Im sure you mean well, but you are way overstating cause and effect. For many, any feel of pushing off the right leg will slide the hips forward and leave the torso behind. Bryson has as little weight shift as anyone, and leads driving distance..

Here is a video of Bryson swing. He is certainly shifting his weight to his right side as his left heel comes off the ground, his head moves to the right and his right leg starts moving to the target before his downswing begins. Furthermore, his right heel is off the ground at impact demonstrating he has pushed off his right side and now his weight has moved to his left. While Bryson's lower body action may differ from other pros the point is he is pushing off his right leg, just like Hogan and Palmer and other pros have recommended. Don't take my word for it.

Edited by chipa

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

5 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Did we really need another thread to discuss your swing?

I explained how my weightshift feels but posted videos of Hogan and Dechambeau.

I see a lot of people posting advice and what they do in their swing as an example. I don't think I'm doing anything different buddy. Why don't you give the rest of us some insight of you have learned?

Edited by chipa

Notes:

1 hour ago, chipa said:

Here is a video of Bryson swing. He is certainly shifting his weight to his right side as his left heel comes off the ground, his head moves to the right and his right leg starts moving to the target before his downswing begins. Furthermore, his right heel is off the ground at impact demonstrating he has pushed off his right side and now his weight has moved to his left. While Bryson's lower body action may differ from other pros the point is he is pushing off his right leg, just like Hogan and Palmer and other pros have recommended. Don't take my word for it.

No one would dispute pressure shift from trail to lead side. It's proven. Watch videos on PGA players on a boditrak. Might give you more insight as well.  

4 hours ago, chipa said:

follow his belt buckle, he looks pretty centred to me.. I'll let others more knowledgeable chime in 

4 hours ago, chipa said:

Dude... you seriously just don't know what  you  are talking about. By the time Bryson is lifting his lead heal he's already shifted the vast majority of pressure onto that side.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Snarkesor said:

Dude... you seriously just don't know what  you  are talking about. By the time Bryson is lifting his lead heal he's already shifted the vast majority of pressure onto that side.

"he's already shifted the vast majority of pressure onto that side." - That's what I was trying to show, thanks.

Notes:

8 hours ago, wagolfer7 said:

No one would dispute pressure shift from trail to lead side. It's proven. Watch videos on PGA players on a boditrak. Might give you more insight as well.  

The whole point of this thread is a good weight shift adds easy clubhead speed and any PGA pro would be a great example of that. However, I don't think many of our fellow golfers are aware of the benefits of a good weight shift.

Notes:

10 hours ago, chipa said:

I explained how my weightshift feels but posted videos of Hogan and Dechambeau.

I see a lot of people posting advice and what they do in their swing as an example. I don't think I'm doing anything different buddy. Why don't you give the rest of us some insight of you have learned?

Well one thing I've learned is I tend to only really look to a few people on this site for actual advice.  But why not just throw all these thoughts into one thread instead of littering up the site with every swing thought you have?   Between this thread and the over the top thread, you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to the golf swing, and when people try to give you some sound and correct advice, you just shoot them down. 

• Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

The whole point of this thread is a good weight shift adds easy clubhead speed and any PGA pro would be a great example of that. However, I don't think many of our fellow golfers are aware of the benefits of a good weight shift.

A good weight shift yes, but most higher handicaps I see shift too much and shift incorrectly leading to a sway and overswing. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

2 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

A good weight shift yes, but most higher handicaps I see shift too much and shift incorrectly leading to a sway and overswing. 

After around 1000 rounds of public golf playing mostly with people that can't break 100 I agree most higher hc'er don't shift their weight correctly. While they may move to their right side the vast majority have very little good tension in their right leg and the right knee often moves very far to the right as well. It is very difficult to not only square the clubface from this position but also use the legs to help generate clubhead speed.

Notes:

7 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Well one thing I've learned is I tend to only really look to a few people on this site for actual advice.  But why not just throw all these thoughts into one thread instead of littering up the site with every swing thought you have?   Between this thread and the over the top thread, you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to the golf swing, and when people try to give you some sound and correct advice, you just shoot them down. 

I see that a lot of people offer advice when they learn something useful.

Also, if you read the over the top thread from the beginning instead of reading what some posters have claimed I said then I doubt you would say I don't know what I'm talking about. 

Notes:

I see that a lot of people offer advice when they learn something useful.

Also, if you read the over the top thread from the beginning instead of reading what some posters have claimed I said then I doubt you would say I don't know what I'm talking about. 

you need better credentials than 'ive played a thousand rounds of public golf'

at the very least post your swing. I doubt you are doing what you think you are, anyway. Time for me to leave your threads alone, pretty sure im being trolled at this point 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

you need better credentials than 'ive played a thousand rounds of public golf'

at the very least post your swing. I doubt you are doing what you think you are, anyway. Time for me to leave your threads alone, pretty sure im being trolled at this point 

I didn't start this thread to use my swing as a perfect example of how to do a weighshift.

Nonetheless, in spite of my imperfect technique I am still gaining  a lot of clubhead speed quite easily, so I think that's worth sharing with others.

It's also a good thing that so many point out my swing weaknesses, now others with imperfect techniques as well should realize one doesn't have to have a perfect weight shift either and they too can increase their clubhead speed.

Notes:

1 hour ago, chipa said:

I didn't start this thread to use my swing as a perfect example of how to do a weighshift.

Nonetheless, in spite of my imperfect technique I am still gaining  a lot of clubhead speed quite easily, so I think that's worth sharing with others.

It's also a good thing that so many point out my swing weaknesses, now others with imperfect techniques as well should realize one doesn't have to have a perfect weight shift either and they too can increase their clubhead speed.

"Generally, if I try to stay centered I can swing it around 87 mph, but if I let my weight move to my right side it's always around 99. If I really load my right side it can jump to 104 or more. "

This is what I'm not following.  Are you loading your right side or are you actually "moving" your weight to the right?  To me those are two separate things.  And a follow up question, you seem to be suggesting that you can control the pressure shift/weight shift to get different yet consistent swing speeds.  Does this mean you are limiting your turn, and therefore limiting right side load, or actually moving your weight as if sliding it back and forth along a scale?

I think this thread has run its course. A few unfounded claims about what I have said or didn't said has meant I have to spent more time reminding people to look at what I really wrote instead of discussing the benefits of a weightshift.

My advice to anyone who wants easy clubhead speed, look at your favorite pro and notice how their weight moves from their right side to the left, some do it more some do it less.

Remember you don't have to do it perfectly either, I certainly don't and have picked up 12 mph over a more "centered swing".

• Haha 1

Notes:

• chipa locked this topic