Arg's Travel Log

Fort Myers Brewing Company. 30 taps, but needs more variety. Pretty standard stuff. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

15 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Not quite the morning I expected. I drove 35 minutes to River Hall. I knew it was riding only, but I didn't expect that they wouldn't let me pay extra for my own cart. Oy. Another lesson learned. Ask about single rider cart policies. With Florida spiking, I wasn't going to hop in a cart with a stranger. RV sites are hard to come by, so I have to be paranoid. I can't risk getting sick. 

I started making phone calls and wound up at The Club at Westminster. Double oy. The course was totally forgettable. A notch or two above a goat track. At least I saved $60. Lol. Highlight of the day was my playing partner, a snowbird from New York. We shared a ton of stories, and a lot of laughs. I can't think of a good thing to say about the course other than they do allow single carts. No walking, though. 

Course conditions were poor. Tee to green was a little scruffy, but playable. Bunkers had little sand. The greens were simply awful. Bumpy and slow with numerous types of grass and patches of sod. Speed might have been 7. If I had to pay a fine for every putt left short of the hole I'd be looking for a part time job right now instead of enjoying a beer. 

Solid game minus the untold birdie putts left short. One birdie and three bogies. 

It's easy to beat up on a mediocre course, but Westminster is well deserving of the hit. Quite embarrassing. Two cows. 

At least after this leg of the trip you'll never have to visit Florida again. That is a positive 😂. Are you making your way to the panhandle/west? 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, mci711 said:

At least after this leg of the trip you'll never have to visit Florida again. That is a positive 😂. Are you making your way to the panhandle/west? 

Lol. I spent the last two winters in Arizona. I played approximately 160 rounds of golf, and only had to take a cart ~10 times. Just don't understand this riding only culture, and I certainly don't understand why one can't pay a premium for their own cart when the vast majority of players are local members using their own carts. 

Yes, I'll probably be heading to the panhandle in late January. I'll be near Sarasota next week, Orlando the following week, and Clearwater/Spring Hill the week after. I have to determine if it's work a trip to Ocala and/or Gainesville, or if I should head to the panhandle after that. 

My next decision is whether I should follow the gulf coast all the way to Houston before heading north to Shreveport, and then doubling back to Birmingham, or zig zagging my way north and south through Alabama and Mississippi. I will likely keep south as long as possible. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

6 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Lol. I spent the last two winters in Arizona. I played approximately 160 rounds of golf, and only had to take a cart ~10 times. Just don't understand this riding only culture... 

One reason is that so many Florida courses courses were built as part of housing developments. As a result, the holes are spread ridiculously far apart and basically unwalkable. Championsgate Country Club is one of the better courses in the Orlando area, but would be a terrible walk if they allowed walking. I think there are approximately 5,000 yards between the holes in the aggregate on that routing.

If you are looking to walk when in the Orlando area, give Highlands Reserve a try. It is in a housing development, but is very well routed and a fairly easy walk. Push carts and carrying are permitted. It's a great piece of land by Florida standards... lots of elevation changes, sandy base that drains unbelievably well. Interesting holes, even a Biarritz green. It has wide fairways  (other than the first two holes) that provide varied playing options. Conditions can be mediocre, but the fairways and greens are almost always good. It's less than $50 42 weeks a year. They raise the green fee to $70 for 10 weeks starting mid January). If you go out early you can finish in less than 3.5 hours. It's located 5 minutes form Championsgate and 20 minutes from Southern Dunes.

• Thanks 1

The week just keeps getting better. I drove up to Fort Myers CC hoping to get on as a walk on, as they won't give a single a tee time. Not being able to book online meant that I didn't see that the morning is quite busy with "Men's Day". Looks like I might be here a while before getting out on the course. Hopefully it's not too long a wait. 

Fort Myers CC, Fort Myers, FL 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n1xgbzem5idcvon/AADL5utghlmHUVrop7U8hrira?dl=0

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

It turned out to be a very nice morning at Fort Myers CC. 

The course is an old Donald Ross design that underwent a major renovation a few years ago. The tough greens are still there, but they were enlarged and raised, so missing a green means you're either in a deep bunker, or have a very tricky chip up a severe slope. While tough, I thought the greens were fair. No where near as punishing as Pine Needles, or even the Dye course at PGA. Like many of his courses the par 5s were very scoreable, but the par 3s were long and tough. I was told that the original design didn't have a lot of penalty areas, but the renovation created numerous wetlands that do come into play with an errant shot. There's also a canal that splits the middle of the course, and two holes require long(ish) shots over it. Bite off too much and you're wet. 

Conditions were very good for a $40 muni. Bunkers could use a little more sand, but were playable. Greens were a little slow at 9, but rolling true. 

I wouldn't call the course a hidden gem, but it's a solid muni in a land of cookie cutter housing development courses. The fact that it can be walked for $40 makes it a winner in my book. Not a destination course, but worth a play if you're in the Fort Myers area. Five cows. 

From your pictures it looks extremely flat with not much movement in the fairways.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sabram said:

From your pictures it looks extremely flat with not much movement in the fairways.

You’re not going to find much elevation changes in Central and South Fl. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 hour ago, sabram said:

That's very true. There were a couple of mounds, but overall very flat. The green complexes were the course's defense.

15 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Probably why World Woods is such a different track. 'Very un-Florida like. If I recall correctly, Deltona Club outside of Orlando was a bit wavy.

17 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Can't speak to South Florida, but in Central Florida there are more than you'd think. Just off the top of my head, here are a few near Orlando that I've played within the last few months with significant elevation changes

Southern Dunes

Deltona

Victoria Hills

Bella Colina

Mission Inn

Highlands Reserve

Sandpiper

There are also a lot that although don't have hills, do have subtle, but real elevation changes/movement to the fairways. It took me several rounds before I appreciated how many holes on Championsgate Country Club have significant elevation change

• Like 1

A very enjoyable morning at Sanibel Island GC. After a drive across the causeway in a thick fog, I joined a pair of members, and a single visiting from Chicago. Turns out we had more than a few things in common, so the company for today's round was great. 

Decent layout. I was told that the course was originally 9 holes, but expanded to a full 18. The two nines looked and played differently. The (new) front was fairly tight with plenty of trees, water, and a number of doglegs or sweepers. Being able to work the ball certainly helps. The original nine (back) was more straight ahead golf, although some strategically placed trees still put a premium on finding the right part of the fairway. Bunkering was lighter than I like. Greens were very small with quite a bit of undulation, and the main defense on this fairly short course. 

Conditions tee to green were decent. The course was still quite wet from the morning fog late in the round. Bunkers were playable. Unfortunately the greens were trash. Speed was inconsistent, running anywhere from 8 to 10. Disappointing. 

Ugly round. My normally reliable driver slept in this morning, and with the irons still being erratic, it was a grind. No birdies and five bogies, and a double. 

I'd give the course four cows, but for $120 the greens were unacceptable. I'll say 3. 

• Like 2

Sanibel Island GC, Sanibel, FL 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l9crq52c7ylipmp/AAAWv3lep4MecuqF-nuT6gbRa?dl=0

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sabram said:

Can't speak to South Florida, but in Central Florida there are more than you'd think. Just off the top of my head, here are a few near Orlando that I've played within the last few months with significant elevation changes

Southern Dunes

Deltona

Victoria Hills

Bella Colina

Mission Inn

Highlands Reserve

Sandpiper

There are also a lot that although don't have hills, do have subtle, but real elevation changes/movement to the fairways. It took me several rounds before I appreciated how many holes on Championsgate Country Club have significant elevation change

Lived in Florida for 20+ years. Yes there are a few courses but the vast majority of Florida is flat.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Should head up to streamsong after sanibel.  Not flat at all.  We walking the black saturday AM then heading to Nona Sunday.  Should be pretty good weather this weekend in Florida.  

• Like 1

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

9 hours ago, jerebear21 said:

Should head up to streamsong after sanibel.  Not flat at all.  We walking the black saturday AM then heading to Nona Sunday.  Should be pretty good weather this weekend in Florida.  

I'm heading to Streamsong tomorrow morning. I have an 11:00 am tee time on the Black course. What time are you playing?

28E6B70F-E3E2-4DA9-9181-1F85D95B4B2E.jpeg.35969a048d9cf99c1664250199e9a540.jpeg

I highly recommend Lakewood National while you’re in the area. The commander course has lots of elevation. The piper course have squared off greens if you’re into that. 

sara bay is a pretty good walking course. Should give the pro shop a call and see if they can make an exception. Tampa privates have a couple walking courses but tee time is packed this time of the year. Unless I know 2 weeks in advance I’m playing it’s not even worth making the effort to play at 2pm. 

Heading more north you should give southern hills plantation a go. Public accessible after 11am. I prefer it over black diamond ranch. Black diamond only has 4 epic holes or so and 18 is underwhelming after going through 14-17.  I’d argue southern hills finishing holes are much better. World woods condition during the springtime was awful. Don’t know how it is now. I like flat courses. Easier to walk. Central Florida has enough elevation. Too much and it becomes goofy golf. 

• Like 2

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

and if you're going into the Ocala region my must play in no particular order

Ocala Golf Club - very underrated.  Good routing to walk.  Good elevation.

Ocala National - If the conditions here were better I would recommend it even more.  I always enjoy the layout.  Good bones.  

UF Golf Course - My Alma; lots of elevation. Give them a call and tell them you're a UF alumni.  More often than not they won't check your ID.  Old school donald ross with good movement. Also great routing to walk. 

Golden Ocala - give them a call; hit or miss if they let you on.

I'm also a big fan of Lake Jovita. The south course is as good as it gets.  Lots of good land movement and elevation.  

If you can switch to the 923am tee time let me know.  We only booked as a 2 ball.  My brother is a +3 and I'm somewhere between 6 and 20 pending how many transfusions I'm in before the turn. 

Edited by jerebear21
  • Like 1

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

21 minutes ago, jerebear21 said:

and if you're going into the Ocala region my must play in no particular order

Ocala Golf Club - very underrated.  Good routing to walk.  Good elevation.

Ocala National - If the conditions here were better I would recommend it even more.  I always enjoy the layout.  Good bones.  

UF Golf Course - My Alma; lots of elevation. Give them a call and tell them you're a UF alumni.  More often than not they won't check your ID.  Old school donald ross with good movement. Also great routing to walk. 

Golden Ocala - give them a call; hit or miss if they let you on.

I'm also a big fan of Lake Jovita. The south course is as good as it gets.  Lots of good land movement and elevation.  

If you can switch to the 923am tee time let me know.  We only booked as a 2 ball.  My brother is a +3 and I'm somewhere between 6 and 20 pending how many transfusions I'm in before the turn. 

Unfortunately I have to drive to the RV park tomorrow morning and drop off Bessie before heading to Streamsong. 11 am is about as early as I can get there. 

Florida has plenty of walking courses. They all seem to be private. Had I stumbled on this thread before you got to this leg of the Florida tour I would have gladly invited you to OM. Last minute booking there won’t give you the experience you deserve. It’s always a full day there. 

• Like 1

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

On 12/28/2021 at 1:02 PM, Argonne69 said:

The Club at Westminster, Lehigh, FL 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0azpu8kqgs1qcqz/AABf7NDoUEOZovJEp6lHxRuVa?dl=0

Just saw this post- following 

so jealous about this. I’m about 30 years away from my own adventure.

• Like 1

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@A1) Ventus TR Blue 6TX

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

I made the 12 mile drive over to Fort Myers Beach to House of Brews. It took 20 minutes to travel the final 1.5 miles. Oy. I thought there might be an accident on the bridge to the island, but no, it's just "normal" weekday traffic. Yikes. 

Enjoying a light flight before diving into the Bourbon County. Oh yeah. The place has over 50 taps, and close to 150 beers available in bottles. Pretty much something for everyone. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2