2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

AM or PM golf in Ireland

PJ Blake

Finally nailing down the trip to Ireland after cancelling twice cuz of Covid. Things are so backed up, even in September '22, that tee times are slim at the more popular courses even for a single. But my question is...is it recommended to play early morning in SW Ireland? Or is it just as windy at 7:30 as it is at 2:30 or 3?  I am mostly a noon to late afternoon golfer. Not a fan of really early tee times, but I'll make an exception. Waterville is offering me a 7:40 or 2:30 tee time and I'll have to decide AM or PM on less popular courses with more available tee times. The change from Pacific to Ireland time may also make early tee times more difficult, yeah? But the wind is of greater concern.

Thanks for your opinion and advice.

Edited by PJ Blake

All I can say is that an early morning round at Waterville can be absolutely superb. We had perfectly still conditions at 730 with just a hint of dew which was gone by 9am. The shadows also increase the aesthetics. And the sea views are awesome. But generally the weather is probably the luck of the draw

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PJ Blake said:

Finally nailing down the trip to Ireland after cancelling twice cuz of Covid. Things are so backed up, even in September '22, that tee times are slim at the more popular courses even for a single. But my question is...is it recommended to play early morning in SW Ireland? Or is it just as windy at 7:30 as it is at 2:30 or 3?  I am mostly a noon to late afternoon golfer. Not a fan of really early tee times, but I'll make an exception. Waterville is offering me a 7:40 or 2:30 tee time and I'll have to decide AM or PM on less popular courses with more available tee times. The change from Pacific to Ireland time may also make early tee times more difficult, yeah? But the wind is of greater concern.

We were there in early October. Played most of our rounds around 10:00 and one round at 8:30. For the week we never noticed wind changing much regardless of time. Most rounds it was just as windy when we finished as it was when we started. You’re going to get wind, pretty much all day every day. You can count on 10-15 constant winds and if it picks up you’re looking at 20-30mph. You’re also going to get rain too. We were lucky and only had one day of torrential rain, and another day with 6 holes of rain. The other 8 days we had mostly sunshine. I’d take the early time at Waterville, then play mid morning to noon for your other rounds. You’ll have daylight till around 5:45 on average. Sunny days you may get a few more minutes, overcast days you may get a little less. As far as the time adjustment, I can offer you some good advice. On your travel day there, stay up until 9:00pm Ireland. Then you will adjust easily. If you take a nap that first day or go to bed earlier you will be all messed up and waking up at 4:00am Ireland and going to bed at 8:00pm. I attached some videos so you could see and hear the wind. The first video was the first round at Doonbeg, the second was our 1st and calmer round at Lahinch, , the 3rd one was from our first round at Ballybunion. We had the same wind the first day we played Tralee, and our 2nd round there was brutal, rain coming down sideways with 30mph winds… Good times. If you have any other questions let me know.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

15 minutes ago, PJ Blake said:

Thanks guys. I guess its a crap shoot all around.

Hey Hammer I thought the sun stayed up later in mid September, no?

I tried to open your links but I couldn't. Window popped up saying couldn't locate....

From what I remember it seemed like it was dark at 6pm, but that was October. Looks like September it’s a little later. Crazy about the videos. They show up fine on my posts…

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/ireland/tralee?month=9&year=2022

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

8 ish sounds much better. I can do a couple later rounds hopefully. I guess I can refrain from the pub hoppin' one night and get up at the crack of dawn for one early tee time😁

The cancellation policies sure suck over there. At 63 with a bad back I never know from one day to the next if I'm going to able to play. Its a lot of money to eat if I can't make a go if it. Anyway, don't mean to complain....I'm grateful to be able to make this trip even if I play 9 holes.

I may have more questions as things come up. I appreciate your help guys.

Thanks again

10 hours ago, PJ Blake said:

8 ish sounds much better. I can do a couple later rounds hopefully. I guess I can refrain from the pub hoppin' one night and get up at the crack of dawn for one early tee time😁

The cancellation policies sure suck over there. At 63 with a bad back I never know from one day to the next if I'm going to able to play. Its a lot of money to eat if I can't make a go if it. Anyway, don't mean to complain....I'm grateful to be able to make this trip even if I play 9 holes.

I may have more questions as things come up. I appreciate your help guys.

Thanks again

Yeah the policies suck, but understanding that they literally have almost all tee times booked I understand it. We had a guy come down with a shellfish reaction and had to miss his second round at Ballybunion. But they actually gave him some shop credit so that was more than what was expected. Only thing I can recommend is if you aren’t a walker, do some prep because they are tough walks and will put a strain on your hips, and ankles. 20,000 + steps a day for a week is tough if you’re not used to doing it.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, PJ Blake said:

Sidenote - Since you are going in Sept, that is one of the least windy times of the year.   Not saying there won't be wind, but the variation is not as great as other times of the year.   A 2:30 tee time will be a bit windier to start, but by the back 9 it will have receded.  

But hammer has it right, there is nothing like early morning or sunset on the courses in the west.  I recommend packing a nice thermos and fill up coffee or cocoa for your round; buy some snacks or something the night before as most places won't be open for food before your tee time.  I always bought a breakfast sandwich the day before and then nuked it in the morning.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PJ Blake said:

My handicap is a bit over 17 these days with all the back issues. Would you guys suggest I skip the Old Course @ Ballybunion? Maybe over my head?

If you haven't played Ballybunion then no, don't skip it. With any luck the rough will be a bit down. But if you have a bad back don't play early, don't play 36 a day and look to play some shorter courses rather than an itinerary big guns. 

BTW, the second course at Ballybunion is tough. Narrow with some funky landing areas and a few silly walks. If you play and can get a cart then consider it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PJ Blake said:

My handicap is a bit over 17 these days with all the back issues. Would you guys suggest I skip the Old Course @ Ballybunion? Maybe over my head?

I wouldn’t. Definitely get a caddie and he will guide you around the course. It’s certainly playable, and relatively wide enough off the tee. Enjoy the round and forget about the score. If you hit a bad shot, just look around at your surroundings and realize it’s about the experience, not the number on the card…..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys...I've got room for one more round late in the trip, I think. We will be staying in Killarney for a couple nights close to the end of the trip and am thinking about just playing one of the courses at the Killarney Golf and Fishing Club. Its relatively cheap and convenient. OR....I drive 30 minutes or so to Dook's Club and back to Killarney. Option 3 is we stay only one night in Killarney, and replace the second night with a night in Glenbeigh. That way I dont have to drive back and forth to Dooks from Killarney. Can play Dooks, crash right there by Dooks, head to Bunratty the next day for our last night. I'm sure any of these will be enjoyable, but would just like your opinion on these course options and convenience surrounding lodging and golf.

Thanks again

1 hour ago, PJ Blake said:

Ok guys...I've got room for one more round late in the trip, I think. We will be staying in Killarney for a couple nights close to the end of the trip and am thinking about just playing one of the courses at the Killarney Golf and Fishing Club. Its relatively cheap and convenient. OR....I drive 30 minutes or so to Dook's Club and back to Killarney. Option 3 is we stay only one night in Killarney, and replace the second night with a night in Glenbeigh. That way I dont have to drive back and forth to Dooks from Killarney. Can play Dooks, crash right there by Dooks, head to Bunratty the next day for our last night. I'm sure any of these will be enjoyable, but would just like your opinion on these course options and convenience surrounding lodging and golf.

Thanks again

Killarney is a great town with some really nice nature sights, but it's very touristy... IMHO I think one night there is enough. I would def play golf then drive North. However, if Tralee is not on your current itinerary you should def play that instead of Dooks. It would not be out of your way, (in fact it would put you an hour closer to Bunratty) and it is AMAZING! If you are already playing Tralee, you can play Dooks then drive to Listowel (1 hour) after your round and stay there. My group used Listowel as our base for 4 days in October and it was AWESOME! By staying in Listowel you will have almost an hour less drive to get to Bunratty the following day.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are playing both Killeen and Dooks and have never played either or anywhere in Ireland.  It's all about what you value for your experience and convenience.  But, you aren't saving any driving time that next morning to Bunratty.  No big deal driving 30 minutes to go play, not seeing the point of uprooting when you have a chance to stay somewhere two nights in a row. If you play it you drive there no matter what, so you're really saving the 30 minute drive back to Killeen.  So . . . decide which course you want to play and play it!  Dooks looks like a great course to me and would probably be my choice over one of the parkland courses just because I love links golf, but having said that, lol, Killeen looks awesome (and we're staying in a house almost on the doorstep) and I don't feel like spending $$$$ and driving all the way to Waterville via the Ring of Kerry for a round, so not a hard one to pass on for me.

If we can stay more nights in one place, the better for me and the missus.  We are actually based near Tralee two nights and in Killarney area six nights (it would be eight, but treating ourselves to Ballyseede for our anniversary).  Before and after we get to Kerry all of our overnights are minimum two nights because it's golf and sightseeing and I can't stand having to check into a different lodging every afternoon, every day.  But again, it's what works for you.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I can't stand having to check into a different lodging every afternoon, every day

I'm totally with you on that. Other than the first night and the last night we are two nights at every stop as of now. I understand we aren't saving driving time to Bunratty from Glenbeigh instead of Killarney. I just like the idea of being able to hang out close to where I'm playing golf and crashing closeby after some food, a couple of pints, etc. But I get what your saying. I guess it would depend on the tee time at Dooks, if I can even get one. If its late...I have no desire to drive any distance in the dark there. BTW, what number anniversary will this be?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

However, if Tralee is not on your current itinerary you should def play that instead of Dooks.

I have Ballybunion and Waterville on the schedule and was trying to go somewhat cheaper at a course that's also a bit easier for #3. Especially given the fact if the back doesn't hold up I may have to eat a green fee. There were no tee times on the way down at Tralee. I will check it....and contemplate that option if its available

Thanks hammer

EDIT: just checked their website and Tralee has no tee times. I mean September appears booked solid. Crazy.

Edited by PJ Blake
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PJ Blake said:

I'm totally with you on that. Other than the first night and the last night we are two nights at every stop as of now. I understand we aren't saving driving time to Bunratty from Glenbeigh instead of Killarney. I just like the idea of being able to hang out close to where I'm playing golf and crashing closeby after some food, a couple of pints, etc. But I get what your saying. I guess it would depend on the tee time at Dooks, if I can even get one. If its late...I have no desire to drive any distance in the dark there. BTW, what number anniversary will this be?

Our 34th!

I hear ya' on driving in the dark - we drove all the way back from the Ferry a ways south of Turnberry to Troon in the dark in some serious rain three years ago --- not my favorite experience and the roads were decent.  Tee times at Dooks looking spotty at this moment in time for September, no idea if some start opening up later this year or how it works there.  Depending on the day of the week, there are some open comp days at the Killarney Golf/Fishing Club courses that get you on even cheaper -- two of the courses look really nice.  Castlegregory is a little 9 hole on the water that would be a little farther drive than Dooks and might be fun and cheaper by a lot (we're going to play it at least once).  Ceann Sibeal way out on Dingle really would be a great way to end, IMO (it's a must play for us) --- really looking forward to that one --- longer drive out, stay in Dingle after, play that one?

Waterville - jealous, but we can't make it work.   

Go to iView Golf on YouTube and you can see Dooks (real, not virtual) while golf shots are superimposed by computer and follow the course all the way around - a few other Ireland courses on there as well.  It's a blast to get a feel for the course that way, IMO.  

Edited by Hawkeye77

3 hours ago, PJ Blake said:

I have Ballybunion and Waterville on the schedule and was trying to go somewhat cheaper at a course that's also a bit easier for #3. Especially given the fact if the back doesn't hold up I may have to eat a green fee. There were no tee times on the way down at Tralee. I will check it....and contemplate that option if its available

Thanks hammer

EDIT: just checked their website and Tralee has no tee times. I mean September appears booked solid. Crazy.

Then Dooks fits the bill perfect. I would play Dooks, then two options:

1 Drive to Tralee (40 mins) and stay at Ballyseede Castle

https://www.ballyseedecastle.com/rooms

2 Drive to Listowel (1 hour) and stay at Listowel Arms Hotel. 

https://www.listowelarms.com/

It’s a shame Tralee was booked. Many say, myself included that the back 9 there is the most amazing 9 holes in golf. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Depending on the day of the week, there are some open comp days at the Killarney Golf/Fishing Club courses that get you on even cheaper -- two of the courses look really nice.  Castlegregory is a little 9 hole on the water that would be a little farther drive than Dooks and might be fun and cheaper by a lot (we're going to play it at least once).  Ceann Sibeal way out on Dingle really would be a great way to end, IMO (it's a must play for us) --- really looking forward to that one --- longer drive out, stay in Dingle after, play that one?

We are staying in Dingle on the way down for a couple days. Really wanted to make Castlegregory work, but given its tough for me to play back to back days, I couldn't make it work in between Ballybunion and Waterville. I would have canned the Waterville excursion altogether, but my wife really wants to do the Ring of Kerry, so I figured if we're driving all the way out there...better play the course. Hoping to do some fly fishing out there too. 

Congratulations on 34 years!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PJ Blake said:

We are staying in Dingle on the way down for a couple days. Really wanted to make Castlegregory work, but given its tough for me to play back to back days, I couldn't make it work in between Ballybunion and Waterville. I would have canned the Waterville excursion altogether, but my wife really wants to do the Ring of Kerry, so I figured if we're driving all the way out there...better play the course. Hoping to do some fly fishing out there too. 

Good plan. We are only making time for one half day to fish but hoping a trout or salmon inland outing works out. 

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

Then Dooks fits the bill perfect. I would play Dooks, then two options:

1 Drive to Tralee (40 mins) and stay at Ballyseede Castle

https://www.ballyseedecastle.com/rooms

2 Drive to Listowel (1 hour) and stay at Listowel Arms Hotel. 

https://www.listowelarms.com/

It’s a shame Tralee was booked. Many say, myself included that the back 9 there is the most amazing 9 holes in golf. 

Ballyseede Castle looks awesome. I looked into Listowell Arms and the night we would be in the area was booked. Yeah disappointed about Tralee. I thought as early as I started planning and booking, I would get a tee time in September no problem. Had to tweak the itinerary cuz I had planned Ballybunion, skip a day, then Tralee. Nope.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, PJ Blake said:

One tip on doing the Ring of Kerry. Make sure you drive it clockwise. The buses can only drive counter clockwise so if you drive the same way you’ll be stuck behind them and it will take 3 times as long. We started in Killarney and drove it. What a great day!

https://www.earthtrekkers.com/driving-ring-of-kerry-ireland/#:~:text=The Ring of Kerry is 120 miles long.&text=Tour buses drive counterclockwise around,avoid most of the traffic.

3 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

One tip on doing the Ring of Kerry. Make sure you drive it clockwise

Ohhhh crap. Did not know that. We were hitting the Ring coming from Dingle and staying in Kenmare after Waterville. So a counter clockwise route. I may have to flip this whole thing around.

1 hour ago, PJ Blake said:

Ohhhh crap. Did not know that. We were hitting the Ring coming from Dingle and staying in Kenmare after Waterville. So a counter clockwise route. I may have to flip this whole thing around.

It’s not that far out of the way to do the clockwise route. Just drive from Dingle to Killarney then on to Kenmare. Stay the night there and start the ring then you can return to Killarney.

5 hours ago, PJ Blake said:

Ok...I got a tee time at Dooks in the afternoon. So, if I am taking the ROK late in the afternoon early evening, aren't all the tour buses on their way back on the other side?

In theory yes. Where are you planning on staying the night after ROK? Because it won’t be a ton more in mileage to drive the clockwise route. A late evening sunset at Kerry Cliffs or Bridges of Ross would be amazing.

E81D7D34-29A1-4E80-A8CA-09B388046549.jpeg

F1AADC17-C6EC-4D41-85C1-18C9567F157C.jpeg

264B4B42-D65D-4A56-B7DE-02B2E88BB7CA.jpeg

489CAD01-1BA7-47EB-9A9D-76EEF3D90507.jpeg

E412E280-BBDE-408C-A1D3-7C2D6A5A928B.jpeg

603F72D3-26C0-4198-A18F-C0D143BB7E3C.jpeg

9086BC9A-E828-4990-B7A5-4730F489DB58.jpeg

Edited by hammergolf

39 minutes ago, PJ Blake said:

As of right now we are going to Kenmare after Waterville. 

Ok, the eastern side of the ring is hills, lakes, and forest views. Once you hit the south side you begin to the Ocean around Whitestrand. IMO the western part of the ring is where the REALLY amazing views begin (after Waterville if driving clockwise) after Cahersiveen if driving counter clockwise) It would probably add a little over an hour drive time if you did the clockwise route, by driving from Dooks to Kenmare and starting there, but you still will probably make that time up by not being stuck behind busses doing the counter clockwise route. I’ve attached some route info that might help you. 

https://www.theirishroadtrip.com/ring-of-kerry-drive/

Edited by hammergolf
  • Thanks 1