2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Wilson D9 Forged review

braincramp52

8 minutes ago, Magnil said:

Do not like hybrids and need something longer than 5i (which I hit quite good). Thinking of buying a 4i, do you think I should go with D9 Forged or choose another model maybe more GI?

Staff Model Utility, head size identical to the i5

IMG_0586.jpeg

Edited by Streuner

22 hours ago, Magnil said:

Do not like hybrids and need something longer than 5i (which I hit quite good). Thinking of buying a 4i, do you think I should go with D9 Forged or choose another model maybe more GI?

@Bulldogs2412 Really like my 5-7, no struggle. But would like to weight all clubs up a bit. Do you have pic om your lead tape?

I added lead tape to the shafts. Is that what you're looking for?

23 hours ago, Magnil said:

What is the benefits of Staff Utility compared to D9F 4i?

Do you think 3g is enough to make a difference in swing weight?

You can take 2 stickers…. Locks similar just thicker… to me it was more to tinker with the weights a bit. 

I like the utility, it is hollow body (sounds a bit tingy ) and has a deep weight screw at the sole. To be honest, I have never seen or hit a D9F i4 

Edited by Streuner
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at the Cobra Forged Tec X and now the Wilson D9 Forged.  Can anyone give some insight and comparison?  Recommendations?  Older now, 59, lost ss and have been fit to the Recoil ESX 460 4F2 in the FTX.  Driver speed <80 mph due to illness, injuries, bad back.  Also looking at the T350/T200s.  Even the PXG XCOR2.

I forgot to mention that I am ~12hdcp and a decent ball striker.  Need Distance and forgiveness.

Edited by befBCS13
Forgot to add handicap and ball striking and needs

11 hours ago, befBCS13 said:

Looking at the Cobra Forged Tec X and now the Wilson D9 Forged.  Can anyone give some insight and comparison?  Recommendations?  Older now, 59, lost ss and have been fit to the Recoil ESX 460 4F2 in the FTX.  Driver speed <80 mph due to illness, injuries, bad back.  Also looking at the T350/T200s.  Even the PXG XCOR2.

I forgot to mention that I am ~12hdcp and a decent ball striker.  Need Distance and forgiveness.

I can address two of these options. If distance/forgiveness is your priority, the XCOR2 with the great MMT shafts should be at the top of your list. It is an outstanding combo. I bought a set about 2 months ago, loved them, but they were too long for me. The 5i was every bit as long as my hybrid, and it left a bit of a gap issue down at my wedges. I didn't want to buy different hybrids/wedges, so I sold the XCOR2/MMT. 

After that, I went back to searching, and D9 forged was high on my list. I really wanted to make one last try at steel shafts after playing graphite for 10 years (I'm also 59, but closer to 95 SS), and I ended up finding a set of new D9 Forged on DG105S shafts on closeout at PGATSS for $479. Jumped on it. After a couple of rounds with them, I am very happy. Distances are right where I needed to fit in with my other clubs.  Very forgiving as well.

Both the XCOR2 and D9 Forged are great options, but I think the MMT shafts win the tiebreaker.

15 hours ago, befBCS13 said:

I've owned and played the Forged Tec X, D9 Forged the previous PXG011 not XCor--which I hear are fantastic....and currently own and play the T350.

Of al those I think the T350 are hands down the best in all categories.    Looks, forgiveness and distance.   The D9Forged and Forged Tec look great as well, but I give a slight edge to the 350 there, and the performance breaks anything that is close to a tie. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Jemoli said:

Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations please on the stock steel dg95 vss reg and  dg105vss stiff shafts that come with these, to suit a swing speed of around 90, moderate tempo? Which would be better?

If I remember right, the DG95 is a high launch shaft, while DG105 is a mid-lo launch, even more so if you are looking at 95R vs. 105S. That would be the biggest difference, so pick high flight 95, or not high flight 105. I already hit it high, so I went with 105S.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sparky14 said:

If I remember right, the DG95 is a high launch shaft, while DG105 is a mid-lo launch, even more so if you are looking at 95R vs. 105S. That would be the biggest difference, so pick high flight 95, or not high flight 105. I already hit it high, so I went with 105S.

Thanks, I confess I actually own the d9f’s with the 105s and find they are a bit low flighted and dead feeling especially with the longer irons (eg 6i apex 50-60ft) unless I hit them perfectly so am sorely tempted to repurchase with the 95r shafts but am a bit worried the added flex will cause pulls and hooks. 

In my personal opinion is the Wilson D9F not an iron that promotes a high ball flight. In direct comparison to a Cobra Forged Tec the ball flight was different and this with the Cobra lofts that are constantly stronger than the Wilson lofts. 

with a smooth swing, take the regular version 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jemoli said:

Thanks, I confess I actually own the d9f’s with the 105s and find they are a bit low flighted and dead feeling especially with the longer irons (eg 6i apex 50-60ft) unless I hit them perfectly so am sorely tempted to repurchase with the 95r shafts but am a bit worried the added flex will cause pulls and hooks. 

Shafts will help a little but won’t do it if you are 30 feet too low with your 6 iron. (90 feet apex or so is ideal.) I’d say weaken lofts 2 degrees plus higher launching shaft. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

A little off topic I havent posted much here before and dont know if this is the right place, but am looking at buying the D9 in cast or the Forged D7 which are both the same price on sale atm. Just started playing again after back and knee injuries and am using Cleveland Launcher Turbos with a regular graphite shaft.

Started off 8 months ago at 21 Handicap and have got that down to 12 now. I am looking to go to the next level and try for a single digit handicap and start using a more regular iron. Used to always play a fade with steel shafted irons before injuries but have developed a draw/hook with the cleveland reg graphite shafts as my swing speed has been increasing. Im 55yo now and as my body is getting back to normal my driver swing speed has increased was recorded at 105mph 6weeks ago. 

I would like irons that I can consistently hit straight and not draw. 

On a tight budget and the Forged D9s are $400 (Australian) more than these 2 sets.

Any advice on if the Forged D7s would be better for me than the more offset Cast D9s would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by DaveDC

15 hours ago, DaveDC said:

A little off topic I havent posted much here before and dont know if this is the right place, but am looking at buying the D9 in cast or the Forged D7 which are both the same price on sale atm. Just started playing again after back and knee injuries and am using Cleveland Launcher Turbos with a regular graphite shaft.

Started off 8 months ago at 21 Handicap and have got that down to 12 now. I am looking to go to the next level and try for a single digit handicap and start using a more regular iron. Used to always play a fade with steel shafted irons before injuries but have developed a draw/hook with the cleveland reg graphite shafts as my swing speed has been increasing. Im 55yo now and as my body is getting back to normal my driver swing speed has increased was recorded at 105mph 6weeks ago. 

On a tight budget and the Forged D9s are $400 (Australian) more than these 2 sets.

Any advice on if the Forged D7s would be better for me than the more offset Cast D9s would be appreciated.

Thanks

D7F are just as pure as the D9F. Plus with less offset than the cast D9, your over draw has a better chance at being kept at bay. For the same money, D7F for sure in my opinion. 

• Like 1

TM Brnr Mini Driver 13.5(12)

TM RBZ Stage2 3Hy 

TM RBX Stage2 4Hy

Ping G410 5-U

Ping Glide 3.0 SS 52/56

Ping Sigma G Craz-e. 

6 minutes ago, PARETO said:

D7F are just as pure as the D9F. Plus with less offset than the cast D9, your over draw has a better chance at being kept at bay. For the same money, D7F for sure in my opinion. 

Thank You was thinking of going that way too, good to know the forged D7s are similar to the Forged D9s .. Money is tight atm and just cant afford to buy the wrong product. I live in outback South Australia and am a long way from a major town so cant get in to try them out either. 

Cheers

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DaveDC said:

Thanks

D7 Forged is a more premium iron and ranks as a better deal at the same price as the cast D9. I’d say D7 Forged for sure. They’re very nice irons. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Thanks to those who gave input on my recent dilemma about getting the dg95 regs… just back from a very encouraging range session with re-purchased d9f’s with reg shafts which saw my apexes close to 100ft,  increased yardage,  more consistent dispersion, straighter shots and a more effortless feel. (I tested each iron back to back against my stiffs). Now I need to work out if I sell the 105s, reshaft them, or keep them as are for back-up/warmer conditions!

• 2 weeks later...

I took advantage of the Wilson Black Friday sale, and ordered a set of D9 Forged. Received them yesterday after just a few days. Went with my favorite shafts at the moment, Recoil Dart 105 F4. Beautiful irons, and yes, that is lead tape marring their beauty a bit. Swing weight was a bit all over the map between D0-D2, so I needed to adjust to D2-D3 as is my preference.

Anyway, took them out today for a mild but still chilly and wet round in NJ. I played the C300 Forged irons for a while, so I was expecting to get along with these, and I would say that I did. Forgiving, though you of course need to put a decent swing on them.  Soft. Very promising, and they will give my Apex DCB a run for their money for next season.

IMG_0725.jpeg

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade Qi Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Getting new Iron set soon  - which setup? 
Hi, I know everyone is different in what they have in their set up but I was just wondering the best option of these 2 -- I am set on moving from cast irons to Forged and I know the lofts are 1.5 ° higher in the forged , my current 5i is 23 and the forged 5i ( WS d9f ) is 24.5 °   I was leading towards the 4- pw with the 4 being 21.5 ° then get a used hybrid at 19° .  The other option is 5- pw + Gw ( 49°)  as Somone who hasn't hit forged clubs yet, would it be recommended to even get the 4i ??  I know it depends on the length of course I normally play too but what would experienced players get here if it was for them,  4-pw or 5 - gw ?? Tnks  and the shafts will be the DG 95 R  so really a guessing game on this one

On 12/10/2023 at 12:42 PM, sanzo said:

Getting new Iron set soon  - which setup? 
Hi, I know everyone is different in what they have in their set up but I was just wondering the best option of these 2 -- I am set on moving from cast irons to Forged and I know the lofts are 1.5 ° higher in the forged , my current 5i is 23 and the forged 5i ( WS d9f ) is 24.5 °   I was leading towards the 4- pw with the 4 being 21.5 ° then get a used hybrid at 19° .  The other option is 5- pw + Gw ( 49°)  as Somone who hasn't hit forged clubs yet, would it be recommended to even get the 4i ??  I know it depends on the length of course I normally play too but what would experienced players get here if it was for them,  4-pw or 5 - gw ?? Tnks  and the shafts will be the DG 95 R  so really a guessing game on this one

I suggest 5-pw as 4i is tough to hit  without a high ss and a consistent swing. A 4hy will be easier. I also have and like the matching gw, I then went 54 and 58 with my wedges to keep the gapping consistent. 

On 11/19/2023 at 5:41 PM, Jemoli said:

Thanks to those who gave input on my recent dilemma about getting the dg95 regs… just back from a very encouraging range session with re-purchased d9f’s with reg shafts which saw my apexes close to 100ft,  increased yardage,  more consistent dispersion, straighter shots and a more effortless feel. (I tested each iron back to back against my stiffs). Now I need to work out if I sell the 105s, reshaft them, or keep them as are for back-up/warmer conditions!

If you weren't sure you needed stiff or reg. Iron shafts  what would be the main indicator on which to choose, if you couldn't trh both out as the d9f is no longer custom fitted do just stock shafts now  ( DG 96r, DG 105S )  is distance with a 7i or swing speed what you go on? Always had Reg. Irons but have read here the 95R is very light and flexy 

On 12/3/2023 at 1:11 AM, jeffrey r said:

I took advantage of the Wilson Black Friday sale, and ordered a set of D9 Forged. Received them yesterday after just a few days. Went with my favorite shafts at the moment, Recoil Dart 105 F4. Beautiful irons, and yes, that is lead tape marring their beauty a bit. Swing weight was a bit all over the map between D0-D2, so I needed to adjust to D2-D3 as is my preference.

Anyway, took them out today for a mild but still chilly and wet round in NJ. I played the C300 Forged irons for a while, so I was expecting to get along with these, and I would say that I did. Forgiving, though you of course need to put a decent swing on them.  Soft. Very promising, and they will give my Apex DCB a run for their money for next season.

IMG_0725.jpeg

Are you still able to get these with preferred shafts and not just stock ones?

On 12/2/2023 at 10:40 AM, DaveDC said:

Went with the Forged D7s and had my 1st round of comp with them today. Shot a net 69, (3under) and am very impressed with the new irons. Nice and straight good distance and very forgiving on mishits.

Appreciate the advice... Thank You

What iron set up did you go for ? 4i or Gw? 

17 minutes ago, sanzo said:

Are you still able to get these with preferred shafts and not just stock ones?

If you go to their website, there is a custom section and it seems the D9 Forged irons as well as the previous CB irons are still able to be ordered custom.

https://www.wilson.com/en-us/custom/clubs/irons/club/

I have also played my new D9 Forged irons for a couple of “rounds” here in NJ during a mild December so far, and they are no surprise fantastic irons. Forgiving, great looking, great feel. They will definitely compete for my top spot next season.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade Qi Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

On 12/17/2023 at 1:20 PM, sanzo said:

If you weren't sure you needed stiff or reg. Iron shafts  what would be the main indicator on which to choose, if you couldn't trh both out as the d9f is no longer custom fitted do just stock shafts now  ( DG 96r, DG 105S )  is distance with a 7i or swing speed what you go on? Always had Reg. Irons but have read here the 95R is very light and flexy 

Unless you have a high ss (maybe 95-100mph+ with driver) and particularly want a low launching iron, you’re  probably best off with the 95r. I was concerned I’d find them too whippy and make me miss left but this hasn’t been the case for me. Really happy with my 95r’s. 

9 hours ago, Jemoli said:

Unless you have a high ss (maybe 95-100mph+ with driver) and particularly want a low launching iron, you’re  probably best off with the 95r. I was concerned I’d find them too whippy and make me miss left but this hasn’t been the case for me. Really happy with my 95r’s. 

I’ve started my winter SIM testing with my recently picked up D9F with the 105S. Mr driver speed hangs out around 103 and so far, the 105S is proving to be stable and keeps the ball speed up. I’m coming to these from S300 in my current gamers and I must say that I really am enjoying the weight savings. Truly noticeable. 
These D9F’s are proving to be excellent btw. I think it’s time for my ISI BeNi’s to enjoy some retirement. 

TM Brnr Mini Driver 13.5(12)

TM RBZ Stage2 3Hy 

TM RBX Stage2 4Hy

Ping G410 5-U

Ping Glide 3.0 SS 52/56

Ping Sigma G Craz-e. 

Since my last posts  I was busy actually buying the D7F on eBay, I didn't do as much reading up on them , I actually read more on the D9f but I bid on them and won the d7s ,  only had them in the local park so far ( PW,7) and yes iv definitely noticed a difference in my current ws D300 Gi irons, on Friday I hold to take them to course for a better go at them  taperlite 95 shaft which was just what came with them so no choices ect  they feel heavier , look smaller  and distance is 10 yrds less but I need to test them out proper