2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Wilson D9 Forged review

braincramp52

Hey all just got an amazing deal in these. Golftown demo sale in Canada had them for 640$ CDN or about 474 US. While yes they are demos, they were new in plastic except the 7 iron which had no marks on it but was likely hit with tape on it if at all.

My only question/concern is the shaft length.

Brought them home to be a second set similar to my 921Forged.

The Wilson's were stock unaltered specs and according to the website they should be 1/4 inch longer than my Mizunos but in fact they seem 1/8 to 1/4 inch shorter.

Pretty sure my Mizunos were stock.

So I am wondering if this set is not to spec ( or my Mizunos aren't) or is it possible the 2 companies measure shaft length differently?

2 hours ago, mitchdoc said:

Hey all just got an amazing deal in these. Golftown demo sale in Canada had them for 640$ CDN or about 474 US. While yes they are demos, they were new in plastic except the 7 iron which had no marks on it but was likely hit with tape on it if at all.

The Wilson's were stock unaltered specs and according to the website they should be 1/4 inch longer than my Mizunos but in fact they seem 1/8 to 1/4 inch shorter.

So I am wondering if this set is not to spec ( or my Mizunos aren't) or is it possible the 2 companies measure shaft length differently?

I know Mizuno measures with grip off. Don’t know about Wilson but if they measure with grip on that would account for 1/8 to 1/4. 

In any case I wouldn’t worry about it. I’ve played irons 1/2 long and been fine. I’ve also actually had good success with irons 1/4 inch shorter than stock in terms of consistency of center impact. I don’t think it matters as long as lie angle fits. And that can be adjusted. Nice deal you got there on a great set of irons. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

30 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

I know Mizuno measures with grip off. Don’t know about Wilson but if they measure with grip on that would account for 1/8 to 1/4. 

In any case I wouldn’t worry about it. I’ve played irons 1/2 long and been fine. I’ve also actually had good success with irons 1/4 inch shorter than stock in terms of consistency of center impact. I don’t think it matters as long as lie angle fits. And that can be adjusted. Nice deal you got there on a great set of irons. 

Thanks! They look great. Very similar shaping to 921 forged which have been my gamers and with which I have shot my personal best and gotten to lowest index. Figure these would be my backup set and if they are more forgiving could steal the starter position.

Just got worried when I put them next to my Mizuno and saw that end of grip lined up with the grip line near end of Mizuno. Especially since Wilson website listes them as 1/4 inch longer than What Mizuno lists them. Was thinking there could be an error.

When I have a chance will bring a 7 iron form each to golf shop to see if they match what is in store in which case will know it is just a measurement differnce.

12 minutes ago, mitchdoc said:

Thanks! They look great. Very similar shaping to 921 forged which have been my gamers and with which I have shot my personal best and gotten to lowest index. Figure these would be my backup set and if they are more forgiving could steal the starter position.

Just got worried when I put them next to my Mizuno and saw that end of grip lined up with the grip line near end of Mizuno. Especially since Wilson website listes them as 1/4 inch longer than What Mizuno lists them. Was thinking there could be an error.

When I have a chance will bring a 7 iron form each to golf shop to see if they match what is in store in which case will know it is just a measurement differnce.

Wilson shows 1/4" or so longer on their specs vs at least some other irons in general, but when I've measured them against some standard length sets they line right up. As above, it's a grip on vs grip off or measuring butt to heel vs butt to sole, and so on. 

It would be nice if manufactures would standardize on things that offer no competitive advantage, but just the way it is. 

On 12/31/2023 at 10:46 PM, PedronNiall said:

Wilson shows 1/4" or so longer on their specs vs at least some other irons in general, but when I've measured them against some standard length sets they line right up. As above, it's a grip on vs grip off or measuring butt to heel vs butt to sole, and so on. 

It would be nice if manufactures would standardize on things that offer no competitive advantage, but just the way it is. 

Thanks. So 1/4 in ch shorter than the Mizuno are still likely standard spec and not manufacturing error?

Wonder if anyone has a Mizuno iron and can compare each 7 or other  iron to each other.

23 hours ago, rainkingjr said:

Wilson measures grip on. See the attached illustration. I got this from Wilson when I inquired about their measurements concerning Staff CB's/

Wilson Centerline Measurement.pdf 266.08 kB · 6 downloads

Seems this cwnterlineeasure they state can lead to lengths  that are 1/8 to 3/16 longer than other clubs measurements using other industry standard gauges.

Does this mean they measure longer so they report say 37.25 inches but it might be 37?

They seem 1/8 to 1/4 inch shorter than my Mizunos (grip line to end of cap whatever that length is).

Mizunos are listed 37 at the 7 iron and Wilson 37.25

On 12/31/2023 at 6:54 PM, mitchdoc said:

I made the mistake of ordering my D9 Forged .25" short based upon their stated specs (aiming for "standard" length), and ended up with irons essentially .25" short of "standard". Annoyed me at first, but not a huge deal obviously and something I can live with. But PSA, despite what the specs say, Wilson builds to standard length. 

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

18 hours ago, rainkingjr said:

If I remember correctly, I ordered a GW from them and kept getting a measurement or 35.25 on my Golfworks measuring board. Once I measured their way it was at 35.5 so yes, if others measure theirs on the backside of the shaft like I did on the measuring board it will result in about a 1/4" difference.

Makes sense. doing some research it also seems like Mizuno measures grip off and Wilson Grip on? That could be another 1/8 inch difference. This could account for everything. Only bad thing is now I have to wait a while to hit them!

2 trigger finger surgeries and cold Canadian winter....

14 minutes ago, mitchdoc said:

Makes sense. doing some research it also seems like Mizuno measures grip off and Wilson Grip on? That could be another 1/8 inch difference. This could account for everything. Only bad thing is now I have to wait a while to hit them!

2 trigger finger surgeries and cold Canadian winter....

I've had two trigger finger surgeries myself. Glad I did it. The shots only lasted a few months.  I was able to hit balls in about a month after each.

2 hours ago, rainkingjr said:

I've had two trigger finger surgeries myself. Glad I did it. The shots only lasted a few months.  I was able to hit balls in about a month after each.

I had one trigger finger surgery on the non-dominant hand approximately five years ago. It took a couple months till I felt comfortable swinging a golf club but it was the right decision. This time I had two that failed Cortisone and they're on my hand that I write with as well. I am four weeks in to my recovery, and I still have swelling, stiffness and pain. Couldn't imagine golfing for a little while. Hopefully the recovery goes well as last year was my best golf season of my life at age 55. Got down briefly as low as a three point to finish the season as a 4.6 and shot par or better on three occasions in the previous 12 months which I have never done before.

• 2 weeks later...

My new set of D9's arrived and put them up against a couple of my current sets in a simulator, those being Mizuno JPX 921 Forged and Callaway Rouge ST Pro's.  Distance fell in between my current two sets, closer to the Mizuno's.  Dispersion was much tighter on the D9's than either of the other sets.  Fell was better than the Callaway, but not as good as the Mizuno's, as expected.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After taking the last 3 Calgary winter months to really SIM test various irons of various eras that I’ve accumulated (I’m a sucker for older Ping stuff), the D9F have secured my bag. 

- My long time ISI BeNi 4-L are now taking a much deserved retirement in my office staff bag (I love looking at them). 
- My Ping S58, while amazing in 8/9/P, offered little help on everything else. Sold them. Nice irons though. 
- My Ping G25 are crazy easy but too much offset for my draw tendency miss. 

2024 is all about posting scores for me and no longer about liking to see retro stuff in the bag. The properly bent D9F gave me several of the most memorable iron shots in my recent memory last summer. They flat out play once fitted. Bring on 2024. I’ve got my gamers. 

IMG_0581.jpeg

IMG_0582.jpeg

IMG_0585.jpeg

• Like 3

TM Brnr Mini Driver 13.5(12)

TM RBZ Stage2 3Hy 

TM RBX Stage2 4Hy

Ping G410 5-U

Ping Glide 3.0 SS 52/56

Ping Sigma G Craz-e. 

• 2 months later...

I’m late to the party on these, but I snagged a set last week and finally got out to test them yesterday. The stock stiff shaft is actually one I’ve been fitted into. I had been playing stock Mavrik Pros, and these (for me) were a club to a club and a half longer throughout the whole set. I think it’s mostly owing to the DG105 vs the Elevate 105 shafts rather than the technology of the heads, but I always wondered why the Mav Pros felt short. Now i know. 

Anyway, these things are the real deal. They felt amazing on every hit, even one shank I had (by the way, they do *not* fix shanks. If you come through with an open face as a lefty, your ball *will* go left. Kinda disappointing, TBH). But these seriously look so good in the bag; feel good on every strike, and are as forgiving as anyone could want. Wilson is onto something with their irons. Not to mention there are great deals to be had on these. 

Here’s a picture of my shot tracker from yesterday (I obviously don’t expect every shot with my 7i to go that far, but it *never* happened with the Mav Pros in a year and a half of playing those clubs). It just felt so pure, flew so straight, and was so gratifying after tracking it to see how far it went!

These irons are keepers, and if you’re on the fence, I suggest you jump over on this side with both feet!!

IMG_0308.jpeg

PXG 0311 Gen 6 10.5* (Motore X F3 6S)

PXG ‘21 0211 3 & 5 wd (Tensei Blue 75S)

Callaway Mav Pro 4 Hybrid (KBS HYB 80S)

Wilson D9 Forged 5-G (DG105 S300)

Vokey SM8 54.12 and 60.08 (KBS 120 FLT)

TaylorMade Spider GT #3

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely love the d9 forged mid irons.  Have them bent weak to match the staff cb gapping and they are outstanding.  Effortless distance, but not low spin either.  6i launches in a perfect window.  Little springy off the face, but that’s expected.  So smooth through the turf!

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

I recently got a D9F 6 iron head to try out, then saw this thread and the length measurement differences.  Since Wilson measures from shaft centerline they measure longer than from the backside of the shaft/hosel like USGA's method.  Then Wilson measures to the widest part of the grip, which might be 1/8" longer than without the grip (like Mizuno), but that depends on the grip.  In all Wilson might be 1/4"+ longer on stated lengths because of that, but it'll vary based on hosel thickness and type of grip.

Length measurements are generally a mess of many standards or non-standards because of where people or companies start and end their measurements.  Without everyone doing the same method, it's really up to an individual to stick to their own method, and take anyone else's with a grain of salt.  This was my breakdown in one of the popular threads on this:

The wedge in the picture measured .148" longer along the shaft centerline vs along the backside of the shaft/hosel (measured a CAD model).  Then tack on more discrepancies on the grip side depending what grip you have.

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, RIPα105X 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf