2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Wilson D9 Forged review

braincramp52

On 7/10/2023 at 8:02 PM, blades_are_life said:

What is your opinion on running just the traditional 45° 9I, 50° PW, 56° SW?

That would be fine if you have a set of irons with those lofts…and likely the old v-grooves. I actually tried that about five years ago with a like new set of MacGregor JNP 1-PW/SW (1991) and a TP5 golf ball. I couldn’t hit the long irons simply because I didn’t have enough swing speed but I hit the 5 iron down just fine. What was really surprising was the minimal distance loss when comparing actual lofts with my current set and how effective the scoring irons and SW were with a urethane ball. The std PW loft has been 48* or stronger since the mid 2000’s, I don’t recall a single current manufacturer that has a PW higher than 46* (Wilson Staff CB). The new Ping G430 is 41*…fifteen degrees stronger than a traditional SW, how many wedges do you need to fill that gap? You can balance those weaker lofts with a more dynamic launching shaft such as kbs $-taper 110/120/130 or maybe DG 105/120 and adding a half inch or so to the length of your set (current irons are stronger lofted but shorter in length than their counterparts from years ago). You’ll need a slightly flatter lie but that shouldn’t be an issue. 

Edited by 67VIP
  • Like 1

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

19 hours ago, 67VIP said:

What was really surprising was the minimal distance loss when comparing actual lofts with my current set and how effective the scoring irons and SW were with a urethane ball

Yes that is exactly what I have noticed with my set. The 8I/9I especially just hit magnificent high spinning approach shots.

The std PW loft has been 48* or stronger since the mid 2000’s, I don’t recall a single current manufacturer that has a PW higher than 46* (Wilson Staff CB).

P7TW PW is 47° if you want to count that.

You can balance those weaker lofts with a more dynamic launching shaft such as kbs $-taper 110/120/130 or maybe DG 105/120

I really did not like $-taper when I tried it at a manufacturer demo day this spring. It felt frail/wispy/insubstantial compared to the DG R/S300s I am used to. I suppose that is how it achieves the more dynamic launch?

4 hours ago, blades_are_life said:

Yes that is exactly what I have noticed with my set. The 8I/9I especially just hit magnificent high spinning approach shots.

P7TW PW is 47° if you want to count that.

I really did not like $-taper when I tried it at a manufacturer demo day this spring. It felt frail/wispy/insubstantial compared to the DG R/S300s I am used to. I suppose that is how it achieves the more dynamic launch?

DG S/R 300 is a low launch shaft with a firm tip, it has been the gold standard for irons since the mid 70’s. KBS is a relatively new kid on the block and part of their appeal was a slightly softer feel at impact/launch and a slightly higher launch for their KBS Tour 120 counterpart. Their are two versions of $-Taper; the std 110/120130 (R/S/X), and $-Taper Lite 95/100 (R/S). Both have a hotter launch in my opinion due to a more active tip and a mid launch trajectory. I have played both and prefer the feel of the heavier $-Taper 110…it gives some additional heft to my irons, amazing feel at impact/launch, and a pleasing launch profile that as a certified old fart I can’t really generate on my own anymore with DG s300…which I played for over 30 years. I have heard from some folks over the years that you should play a heavier version of KBS over TT/DG…so if you play DG S300 try KBS Tour 130, etc. All of that is subjective…what you like and generates the most confidence and positive results is what you should play. Figuring out what combination of iron/shaft/ball works best for your game can be challenging…but if you know your swing and what you can & can’t do with a set of irons, cobbling it together gets a lot easier.

• Like 1

w/KBS $-Taper 110

9 hours ago, AMspeed said:

Newbie to the site, looking to upgrade my Cobra F7’s variable shafts to something with a little less offset and more workability. Would you say these are a natural step up?

Yes, the D9 Forged has minimal offset and is a forged head…your shot making potential is unlimited, but these are fairly forgiving as well. The key is getting a shaft/flex that maximizes your performance. Stock shaft is DG 105 or KBS Tour Lite (100). The are a wealth of options available in steel and graphite to include Steel Fiber, Recoil Dart, Dynamic Gold, KBS Tour, etc. 

w/KBS $-Taper 110

On 7/11/2023 at 12:44 AM, 67VIP said:

The matching GW is a great stick to have as it’s actually a true lofted pitching wedge at 49*. I bent my GW to 48* and the PW to 43*…this gives me great distance gapping with a 52/58 wedge set. I’m a club fitter at Edwin Watts and I usually recommend getting the AW or GW with an iron set because it’s a bigger/more forgiving head than a Vokey style wedge, and is heavier and therefore has more MOI/ distance than a Vokey. If you are a single digit handicapper with a rock solid short game then maybe a Vokey could be more versatile but I’m not sure that’s likely as you will still need a 52/54 and a 56/58/60 wedge…depending on how many wedges you want to carry. I don’t count a modern PW/GW as true wedges as they are actually a nine iron and a pitching wedge by true loft…and pretty soon they’ll be eight iron/nine iron. All part of that red herring marketing campaign on distance that in all actuality is an additional revenue stream for manufacturers because you have to add two more clubs (wedges…which wear out faster than your irons) to properly gap to your 56* sand wedge. 

Thank you for the advice, I duly acquired the matching gw and have been using it a lot. Having played the d9f’s for a few rounds now I find I have been catching the occasional flier especially with the short end of the bag. These things are definitely long and it’s taking me a while to adjust. Do you think that’s a result of the stock shafts? (Dg105’s). Maybe I should weaken the lofts. The other odd thing is that my very first round felt incredible off the face, soft and dense. Since then, I’ve not really noticed that forged feel, and I’m guessing either I’ve just acclimatised to the feel or I’ve not been striking it as solid as that first outing. With that said I’m seriously enjoying these clubs. 

9 hours ago, Jemoli said:

Thank you for the advice, I duly acquired the matching gw and have been using it a lot. Having played the d9f’s for a few rounds now I find I have been catching the occasional flier especially with the short end of the bag. These things are definitely long and it’s taking me a while to adjust. Do you think that’s a result of the stock shafts? (Dg105’s). Maybe I should weaken the lofts. The other odd thing is that my very first round felt incredible off the face, soft and dense. Since then, I’ve not really noticed that forged feel, and I’m guessing either I’ve just acclimatised to the feel or I’ve not been striking it as solid as that first outing. With that said I’m seriously enjoying these clubs. 

When you got fit did they check the lie angle? Even 1* off up or down can make a difference at impact. One thing that helps me with the shorter scoring irons is make sure at address you are a bit closer to the ball, maybe have the ball somewhere in the middle to inside left heel (wherever your swing is at the bottom dead center), and I’ll even choke up 1/2 an inch or so. Biggest thing is no more than a 3/4 swing…hit at full speed but only take it back about 3/4. Accuracy trumps distance with a wedge seven days a week and twice on Sunday. I love my D9 Forged…the first set I had graphite, which was very nice but the feel/height/distance I’m getting on the new set with KBS $-Taper 110 is fabulous. I also have a blended set with 18/21 Staff Utility, 5-7 D9F, 8-PW Staff CB…all with Recoil Dart 75. Boys with toys I guess.

Edited by 67VIP
  • Like 1

w/KBS $-Taper 110

13 hours ago, A_S12 said:

@Jemoli how would you compare them to the 699s? I am currently playing 699s but considering upgrading. 

D9F have similar topline to the 699s but are smaller, I thought this might make me struggle to find the centre of the club face but hasn’t been the case. I love looking down at the chrome and compact footprint of the Wilson’s at address, they make me excited to hit the ball. The 699s were my first set of clubs so didn’t know much about the concept of offset but the D9F have much less of it, which works better for me. The 699s feel faster and clickier off the face but I’ve found the d9fs about a club longer (but the lofts are a teeny bit stronger). I think the shafts in my 699s were a bit heavy for me (kbs tour stiff), I like the slightly lighter stock dg105 s shafts in the D9F, they give me better trajectory, height and a nice stopping power. I may well reshaft my 699s with something lighter in future as my backup set. I’d say the D9F are equally forgiving on slight mishits. Hope that helps!

• Like 1

I like my D9F as well, but I had to do some club builders work. Lie angles have been far away from what they supposed to be. Loft of the i6 and i7 have been nearly similar.
I did not like the stock DG 105 shaft, so I did reshaft with AMT black and once the had to work a the set we did check weight and angles. Head weights are on the heavier site what I personally like. Also the head weights have a very correct progression 

so the new shafts in, SW Loft and Lie spot on, plays really nice. 

1 hour ago, Jemoli said:

D9F have similar topline to the 699s but are smaller, I thought this might make me struggle to find the centre of the club face but hasn’t been the case. I love looking down at the chrome and compact footprint of the Wilson’s at address, they make me excited to hit the ball. The 699s were my first set of clubs so didn’t know much about the concept of offset but the D9F have much less of it, which works better for me. The 699s feel faster and clickier off the face but I’ve found the d9fs about a club longer (but the lofts are a teeny bit stronger). I think the shafts in my 699s were a bit heavy for me (kbs tour stiff), I like the slightly lighter stock dg105 s shafts in the D9F, they give me better trajectory, height and a nice stopping power. I may well reshaft my 699s with something lighter in future as my backup set. I’d say the D9F are equally forgiving on slight mishits. Hope that helps!

Thanks this was great. I actually had the opposite problem in my 699s. I had project x graphite (~75g) and am thinking about going kbs tour or kbs tour lite x-stiff

• Like 1

12 hours ago, A_S12 said:

Thanks this was great. I actually had the opposite problem in my 699s. I had project x graphite (~75g) and am thinking about going kbs tour or kbs tour lite x-stiff

Cool. Out of interest how did you get on with the 699s? I still think they are great irons but I was eager to try something forged with less offset and I happened to find a deal on the d9f’s I couldn’t refuse. 

13 hours ago, Streuner said:

I like my D9F as well, but I had to do some club builders work. Lie angles have been far away from what they supposed to be. Loft of the i6 and i7 have been nearly similar.
I did not like the stock DG 105 shaft, so I did reshaft with AMT black and once the had to work a the set we did check weight and angles. Head weights are on the heavier site what I personally like. Also the head weights have a very correct progression 

so the new shafts in, SW Loft and Lie spot on, plays really nice. 

Very interesting. So you’re saying none of the lie angles were as per Wilson’s quoted specs, or you just had a couple of clubs out of sync? Re. the lofts, I’m guessing you’re aware they are strong irons anyway. 

1 hour ago, Jemoli said:

Very interesting. So you’re saying none of the lie angles were as per Wilson’s quoted specs, or you just had a couple of clubs out of sync? Re. the lofts, I’m guessing you’re aware they are strong irons anyway. 

to be exactly: PW was 2° upright, i9 and i8 1° upright, i7 and i6 and i5 more or less on spec with lie, i7 was 29° and i6 28° of loft (ok i6 loft spec is 27.5 so the i6 was not really out of range)

I use to play 2° flat, so bending the lie is something I am use to have to do at the pro shop of our club. the Caddy master that is running the lie / loft maschine told me that the agnes are out of spec but so are most of the iron sets that are on his maschine. none of the big brands are correct with the specs, NONE, especially with the stock sets.

he see increases of the accuracy if the iron sets are custom made, but even than there are some strange mistakes sometimes.

to be fair: I am not angry or telling something bad about the Wilson set. Strange angles on forged sets are no problem. I am more than happy about the more or less correct increasements of the headweight because so I do not need to add any extra tip weight. only the i8 got a 4gr tip weight assembled.

Edited by Streuner
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jemoli said:

Cool. Out of interest how did you get on with the 699s? I still think they are great irons but I was eager to try something forged with less offset and I happened to find a deal on the d9f’s I couldn’t refuse. 

I really like my 699s. I actually thought of just getting them reshafted, but I wanted something a little smaller and the d9s just look so nice. I’ll be keeping them as a backup option for sure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A_S12 said:

Has anyone tried these with a heavier shaft? Was trying to decide between kbs tour 120 or kbs lite x-stiff. Seems like most people have gone with the DG 105, but I’m not a fan of the feel of DG. 

I did reshaft with AMT black, so only slightly heavier but different bend profile. I also did not like the DG105. 

5 hours ago, A_S12 said:

How did you like it with the heavier shafts?

I have no problem with heavier shafts at all, but I like the concept of the AMT. The Wilson iron heads have a good head weight and so it is easy to got to a SW of D3-4 wich I like. 

it is like always with heavier shafts, the moment of impact feels more solid and I have more control with some more mass in the hand. Even if it is only 10 gr more weight in the scoring clubs, it feels better to me. If I would reshaft again I would go with Nippon Modus 120 

• Like 1

Ended up getting fit into these this past weekend.  Have a soft spot in my heart for WS due to currently playing the D200 but still went into it with an open mind.  Was spurred on to get fit by seeing the new Titleist options but the stars aligned with me hitting the D9 forged well and them being on sale.  Excited to get them in a few weeks (fitter is going on vacation).  

Edited by bluehose

I hate hybrids and on the fence for a 3-5 iron in the D9 Forged to go with my staff blades. Only this is the shafts won’t be an exact match. My somewhat OCD is hold me back. Have 5.5 graphite in the Staff blades and the 3-5 option closely weight matched is the 75 gram Darts. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by boggyman

On 8/10/2023 at 10:49 AM, boggyman said:

I hate hybrids and on the fence for a 3-5 iron in the D9 Forged to go with my staff blades. Only this is the shafts won’t be an exact match. My somewhat OCD is hold me back. Have 5.5 graphite in the Staff blades and the 3-5 option closely weight matched is the 75 gram Darts. 🤦‍♂️

I have the 5 and 6 to go with my PXG 0211ST set. PXGs have Elevate Tour Stiff, which I like a lot, and I got the Wilsons with Modus 105S. I’ve had the 105x and liked them but felt a touch softer would be ideal so we hardstepped the 105S. Yes, I overthink this stuff. 

So far it’s doing what I want. Keeps me in the blades 7 down which I can handle, and gives me an easier to hit top end that’s also a little lighter weight shaft.

If you line both shafts then I don’t think there’s anything wrong with something different. Heck, my SW and LW have LZs, so I have 3 shaft brands from 5-iron to LW. They all work.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bnperrone said:

I have the 5 and 6 to go with my PXG 0211ST set. PXGs have Elevate Tour Stiff, which I like a lot, and I got the Wilsons with Modus 105S. I’ve had the 105x and liked them but felt a touch softer would be ideal so we hardstepped the 105S. Yes, I overthink this stuff. 

So far it’s doing what I want. Keeps me in the blades 7 down which I can handle, and gives me an easier to hit top end that’s also a little lighter weight shaft.

If you line both shafts then I don’t think there’s anything wrong with something different. Heck, my SW and LW have LZs, so I have 3 shaft brands from 5-iron to LW. They all work.

Appreciate your insight. I as well overthink way too much. After hitting our sons 4/5 in the 790s it really got me to thinking. His are paired with 6.0 steel with his 730s in 6-PW. Local guy I use to order my equipment put my order in today for the 3-5 in the d9 Forged, 1/4” short, 2up, W/S midsize grips, Dart 75gram graphite. These will compliment the Staff blades in Px 5.5 graphite at 80 gram. 

Edited by boggyman

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2023 at 2:40 PM, A_S12 said:

@Jemolihow are you getting on with them if you don’t mind me asking? Thinking about pulling the trigger on a new set

@A_S12not too bad though the clubs are probably too good for me presently. I’m not shooting lower scores with them yet and need to work on my swing. Still need to get the lofts checked and the lies fitted to me. But I wouldn’t put you off getting them at all, I noticed American golf have a nice offer on at the moment. 

3 hours ago, Bulldogs2412 said:

Anyone else struggle a little with 5-7 iron? 

In the D9 Forged? What were you playing previously? Sometimes it depends on what you are used to. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches