2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping PLD users

braincramp52

On 8/24/2022 at 11:27 PM, So_Cal said:

Chiming in here.  Threw a PP58 cord (small grey one) on my DS72 and the feel is so much better.  The midsize grip was a little mushy but the 58 gram really transmits feel to your hands.  Can’t wait to try it out this weekend. 

You talking about the pp58 midsize?  wasn't aware of a standard size corded ping grip

Titleist TSR3 9 - Diamana GT 60 tx

Titleist TSR3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TSR2 18 - Diamana DF 80 tx

T200 4, T150 5-7, T100 8-P - PX 6.5 ssx1

Vokey SM7 50F - PX 6.5

Vokey 55S, 60V - PX 6.5 Wedge

Ping PLD Kushin 4

Pro V1

1 hour ago, So_Cal said:

No.   There’s a standard size cord in gray and it’s an amazing grip.  Rarely seen 

Ah ok, like a light grey one right?  Interesting

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9 - Diamana GT 60 tx

Titleist TSR3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TSR2 18 - Diamana DF 80 tx

T200 4, T150 5-7, T100 8-P - PX 6.5 ssx1

Vokey SM7 50F - PX 6.5

Vokey 55S, 60V - PX 6.5 Wedge

Ping PLD Kushin 4

Pro V1

Started this season off with a Mizuno M Craft 1, it's still in the bag and I love this putter. I recently made the mistake of trying out the PLD's and was seduced by the feel off the face. I play distance balls (Velocity, Warbird) so I did not find it too soft, with these balls it was just right, and by that I mean really, really nice, just about perfect. I originally bought the PLD Anser 2 because it seemed to have a bit more MOI than the Anser and gave it a trial. I had trouble making solid, consistent contact on longer (30 feet +) putts, but otherwise loved it. I returned it and replaced it with the black Anser. I like the look and shape of the Anser better than the Anser 2, which in comparison is too long and skinny for my liking. The black Anser seems to fit my eye better, and I was making better contact more consistently than with the Anser 2, long putts definitely were much better.

I do not regret my purchase, it's a keeper. I sold my Bettinardi BB8W to fund the Ping. The feel off the face is exactly what I want with the type of balls that I use. I'm a bit of a putter purist so I like the minimal, classic style and no alignment mark of the Anser. Distance control is excellent. I like the feeling that I can really swing through the stroke and release the putter head, something I have difficulty doing with mallet style putters, especially on shorter, finesse putts. The PLD Anser has a simple, easy to use character that doesn't make me think too hard, it's point and shoot for me, in some ways easier than the Mizuno which required more effort to dial in, but was totally worth the effort.

I think this putter has a chance of replacing my Mizuno as my gamer, but not yet. I do spend a lot of time practicing with it and it's getting very comfortable. Typically the putter purchases I regret are the ones that are too far away from a classic blade style. They feel great for a while, but after the honeymoon is over I grow tired of the non-traditional style and want to go back to my comfort zone. I also enjoy practicing with a simple blade way more than any other style. I get bored hitting putts for an hour on the practice green with other styles, but can stay out there forever if using a blade, something about it is just much more rewarding. I really did like the PLD Tyne 4, especially the slant neck design, but that's an example of something I probably would ultimately regret purchasing every time I missed a slippery downhill 4 footer, I have so much more confidence in those types of putts with a blade.

The Anser style is so classic that I doubt I will ever wish I had purchased something else instead. I've demo'd a lot of putters this year, and this Anser is one of the few that had a legitimate chance of staying in my bag permanently. Between the Mizuno and the Ping, I feel like I have two excellent putters that are timeless classic designs. The feel and feedback from each of these is phenomenal, better than anything else I've tried. That's usually one of the main reasons I end up regretting a putter purchase; I find something else that provides better feedback and feel and wish I had that instead. Right now the Anser is my backup, but I'll probably end up rotating them both in and out of the bag as I get more familiar with the Ping. If everything fails, then I can always go back to my Anser 4 BeCu circa 1982.

putters.jpg

Edited by Dave2golf2
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 10:29 AM, So_Cal said:

No.   There’s a standard size cord in gray and it’s an amazing grip.  Rarely seen 

It was standard on the Anser Milled line. Not offered since.

I have one on my old TPM 2 and a couple in reserve.

Edited by Konklifer
PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60, KBS CT Tour, 35"
Maxfli Tour Yellow

20 minutes ago, So_Cal said:

My local store is still receiving them into stock.  Maybe they’re still being made?

You can occasionally find them on ebay and randomly in some stores, so that's probably correct.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60, KBS CT Tour, 35"
Maxfli Tour Yellow

17 hours ago, Bigjim1022 said:

I just got a PLD Anser today, looks great until I address the ball.  It seems to sit closed to my eye, has anybody noticed this?  Even when I hold it up in front of me the toe seems to be turned to the left a bit? 

I've never noticed.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

4 hours ago, brettplaysgolf said:

If I wanted to replace the steel shaft in my Anser 2, what specs would I need to know to ensure I buy the right replacement?

Ping uses a “proprietary” tip size at .345.  You can use a .355 shaft but would have to do some work to get it to fit.  I actually got a .355 lagp shaft to fit after some sanding. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 8* Denali Blue 60tx

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Stealth Plus 18* Ventus Black 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/12D, 59/5T PX Wedge 6.5

Scotty Cameron Golo 6.5 Stability Shaft

I'm now on my 3rd PLD putter this year. First was the Anser 2, then then Anser, and now the Tyne 4. Both Ansers felt great from inside 20 feet, however I felt that I really struggled making solid contact with either of them on longer putts greater than 20 feet. Enter the PLD Tyne 4 - seems more stable and forgiving on longer putts with pretty much the same feel as the Ansers. I really wanted to like the black Anser, but after a 4-putt with it this past weekend I realized I was not worthy. If I want to play a blade, I have my Mizuno M Craft 1 which is awesome, the Tyne will be my mallet alternative. I'm done searching, both the Tyne and M Craft are great putters that offer something different, any issues I have at this point are me and not the putter.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Grip selection is certainly not the same for everyone. Typically the first thing I do after buying a new putter is change out the stock grip to something I prefer. I rarely stick with the stock grip unless there's a really good reason to do so. Much to my surprise I really like the Ping PP58 stock grip on the Ping PLD Tyne 4 -  just the right size and I find the texture extremely comfortable!

8 hours ago, Dave2golf2 said:

Grip selection is certainly not the same for everyone. Typically the first thing I do after buying a new putter is change out the stock grip to something I prefer. I rarely stick with the stock grip unless there's a really good reason to do so. Much to my surprise I really like the Ping PP58 stock grip on the Ping PLD Tyne 4 -  just the right size and I find the texture extremely comfortable!

I went with the midsize plus some wraps, plus the stepless shaft seems a bit beefier at the grip so it's a bit heftier than the PP58 mid on my other putters.  Just a timeless grip...

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

10 hours ago, Dave2golf2 said:

Curious where you procured the grey corded pp58? gonna put a og black pp58 on my anser 2 this weekend with the new pxg stability shafts. 

1 hour ago, flotilla said:

Curious where you procured the grey corded pp58? gonna put a og black pp58 on my anser 2 this weekend with the new pxg stability shafts. 

My local Roger Dunn had them for a while this year.  They are now sold out.  Ping must still make them.  Not sure where else they would be coming from.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sunhyun said:

I am waiting my first Anser. Only concern is swingweight. Is putter swingweight important as Iron?

I think too many people obsess over putter swing weight, it can definitely be helpful if you want to dial in a specific feeling of another putter you have.

As long as you're not at either extremes like low C's or over F you'll be fine.

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

10 hours ago, flotilla said:

Did you accomplish this Brett? got the pxg stability shaft and it’s .370 thinking on grabbing and BGT and hopefully can sand it down. 

I didn't try. I contacted BGT and they said the only option was to bore out the hosel. I didn't ask about sanding down the shaft tip to fit but I'd assume they don't recommend that. I don't have the right experience or tools to take that on so I sent the putter into Ping to be reshafted.

Edited by brettplaysgolf

On 10/13/2022 at 9:52 AM, brettplaysgolf said:

I didn't try. I contacted BGT and they said the only option was to bore out the hosel. I didn't ask about sanding down the shaft tip to fit but I'd assume they don't recommend that. I don't have the right experience or tools to take that on so I sent the putter into Ping to be reshafted.

I was gonna take the original ping steel shaft and cut it where the shaft reaches .370 in diameter and then install the BGT shaft. parallel.

so you’re sending yours to ping to be installed? How much is it gonna cost ya and turnaround time before I go off on this venture lol? 

On 10/15/2022 at 1:30 AM, flotilla said:

I was gonna take the original ping steel shaft and cut it where the shaft reaches .370 in diameter and then install the BGT shaft. parallel.

so you’re sending yours to ping to be installed? How much is it gonna cost ya and turnaround time before I go off on this venture lol? 

I had Ping install a new Ping shaft. I don't know if they'd install an aftermarket shaft for you, I haven't checked. The reshaft and repair was a little over $120, including shipping.

Let me know how your plan works out!