2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2024 Recruits?

On 1/18/2023 at 9:20 AM, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

Do you have the youtube channel up as well?  Son did his own golf specific channel.  We would videos on bunker play, putting, wedges etc.

I think one of the best was 3 holes no cuts.

🤗 he has had a youtube channel which holds the vids for his website, dunno, for 10 years. Practice, tournaments, workouts, journals, interviews. 100s of videos from 5 years old till now. 

Every tournament is every shot not highlights. Mom is a beast with that camera.

• 2 weeks later...

We have gone through recruiting and are on the other side of it now.  I will forever not understand it fully.   There are so many head scratching decisions by coaches and players both.   There are kids out there that I know are under recruited and vice versa but I guess it’s like that in all sports.   There aren’t as many spots on high level d1 as you may think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jkhogbear said:

We have gone through recruiting and are on the other side of it now.  I will forever not understand it fully.   There are so many head scratching decisions by coaches and players both.   There are kids out there that I know are under recruited and vice versa but I guess it’s like that in all sports.   There aren’t as many spots on high level d1 as you may think.

I know a kid with multiple wins on our big tour in Socal with zero offers in state and he’s ranked in the top 130 overall with a -4 differential. That’s just to say that scores aren’t everything. 

• Like 2
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

1 hour ago, Jkhogbear said:

Just beginning the process  and this sure seems like finding a job.  You just have to plug away at it.

One thing I noticed at least for girls either they want extremely high ranking or a girl with a lot power.

There are few girls in 2023 that can’t hit the ball strait but have massive power that signed with big schools. Meanwhile I am seeing what appears to be passed over girls who score good and ranked decent but I know basically hit it 210 yards.

I am just going by who schools have said they signed and commitment you see online. Who knows what deal has been offered. 

51 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Just beginning the process  and this sure seems like finding a job.  You just have to plug away at it.

One thing I noticed at least for girls either they want extremely high ranking or a girl with a lot power.

There are few girls in 2023 that can’t hit the ball strait but have massive power that signed with big schools. Meanwhile I am seeing what appears to be passed over girls who score good and ranked decent but I know basically hit it 210 yards.

I am just going by who schools have said they signed and commitment you see online. Who knows what deal has been offered. 

One girl I know was massively overlooked.   At the time of recruiting she had won a ton of tournaments including multiple AJGAs but didn’t hit it far.  She was overlooked because schools thought she thought she had peaked already and her frame wouldn’t allow her to hit it far.  Big mistake..  She is a top player now and she hits it plenty far now also.   I don’t get it.  

2 hours ago, Jkhogbear said:

One girl I know was massively overlooked.   At the time of recruiting she had won a ton of tournaments including multiple AJGAs but didn’t hit it far.  She was overlooked because schools thought she thought she had peaked already and her frame wouldn’t allow her to hit it far.  Big mistake..  She is a top player now and she hits it plenty far now also.   I don’t get it.  

From what I can tell they way they recruit depends on the conference and other schools they play against.

I think some these kids get passed over because there looking for the kids who are getting better and will stay with them for 4 years

We hired a recruiter to help us out the great thing is we are able to get some feedback early.  I think it helps because they can explain things and help guide you to schools where you fit in.

Edited by tiger1873

28 minutes ago, SKF said:

Any insight into why the kid with the -4 differential and multiple wins hasn't received offers?  Is he holding out for something better out-of-state?  

College golf is a team sport and sometimes the best players aren't the best teammates. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, leezer99 said:

College golf is a team sport and sometimes the best players aren't the best teammates. 

This is a very true statement.

Further to this discussion, 1) do they fit with the Team?, 2) how much of a grinder the kid is on their own?, 3) how much they truly love it?, 4) how much the parents have driven the kid?, 5) is the athlete self motivated?, 6) MATURITY LEVEL - will the level of dedication be the same when they are away from Mom and Dad with all of the distractions of college they encounter.

All say they "love it" and they are the hardest worker - there tends to be an awakening when they do see the other hard workers on the Team and what hard work does indeed looks like.

This is a really helpful topic for parent introspection as it relates to finding your child's best fit.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, leezer99 said:

I know a kid with multiple wins on our big tour in Socal with zero offers in state and he’s ranked in the top 130 overall with a -4 differential. That’s just to say that scores aren’t everything. 

That is surprising. But Socal has arguably the toughest competition in junior golf and schools attract many interests from out of state as well. A coach from a top D1 program in SoCal said during a camp that they would only consider top 3 ranked juniors in California at the beginning of their recruiting process. 

19 hours ago, leezer99 said:

When coaches recruit kids, they are also recruiting parents.  

Not only that, they are recruiting social media content.  Sometimes, most of the time, all time it is best the kid lays off social media.  At 10 it is cute.  Into the teen years drop it and that includes the parents posting on their behalf.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

4 hours ago, SKF said:

Any insight into why the kid with the -4 differential and multiple wins hasn't received offers?  Is he holding out for something better out-of-state?  

His dad was on a Netflix show and he is an "A" hole.  Kid kind of is too.

44 minutes ago, kekoa said:

Does he also have a 1.5 GPA?  😞

@tssgj65 has more insight and can probably comment appropriately.  Under 3.0 a kid isn't getting recruited unless they are in the top 50 of the class.  The gold standard to get into college is a 3.5 unweighted and even that is low.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

His dad was on a Netflix show and he is an "A" hole.  Kid kind of is too.

Got it.  That makes sense.  All of the coaches / programs we've met look at the parents as much as they look at the kid and might turn the other way only for an exceptional talent.  In this case it sounds like the apple might not have fallen far from the tree either

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SKF said:

Grades maybe?.

Student as in Student-athlete comes first.

Also,  might have 100 wins.  Is he doing his own recruiting?  If you don't contact a coach they might get the sense you aren;t interested.   Why am I going to bother and spend time I already don't have to chance down a kid.

21 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

@tssgj65 has more insight and can probably comment appropriately.  Under 3.0 a kid isn't getting recruited unless they are in the top 50 of the class.  The gold standard to get into college is a 3.5 unweighted and even that is low.

My bad man.  Did see your comment before I posted. 😉

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

HH you're correct.  Floor for recruitment tends to be about a 3.0 GPA.  It also serves as a predictor of discipline.  Under 3.0 the coach has to have too much involvement compared to other potential recruits with better GPA's.  Many kids that are talented but below 3.0 end up at a JC with the thought being a second chance for grade improvement.  Given equal assessed talent the offer will go to the better GPA.  Also academic money can be combined with athletic money for those 3.5+ GPAs.

SAT/ACT is a predictor as well.  The COVID period during which college entrance exams weren't required also added a bit of judgement to the process.  Normally SAT should be around a floor of 1000 but better toward 1200+.

For Internationals (where WAGR is utilized over AJGA - another topic on here I know) there is also TOEFL which measures English aptitude as a foreign (2nd) language.

Good thing is that most golfers tend to be pretty smart....

Edited by tssgj65
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tssgj65 said:

HH you're correct.  Floor for recruitment tends to be about a 3.0 GPA.  It also serves as a predictor of discipline.  Under 3.0 the coach has to have too much involvement compared to other potential recruits with better GPA's.  Many kids that are talented but below 3.0 end up at a JC with the thought being a second chance for grade improvement.  Given equal assessed talent the offer will go to the better GPA.  Also academic money can be combined with athletic money for those 3.5+ GPAs.

SAT/ACT is a predictor as well.  The COVID period during which college entrance exams weren't required also added a bit of judgement to the process.  Normally SAT should be around a floor of 1000 but better toward 1200+.

For Internationals (where WAGR is utilized over AJGA - another topic on here I know) there is also TOEFL which measures English aptitude as a foreign (2nd) language.

Good thing is that most golfers tend to be pretty smart....

The expectation for TW’s Alma Mater is 1400 on the SAT. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

The expectation for TW’s Alma Mater is 1400 on the SAT. 

The SAT requirement is a myth. Just curious: Is 1400 a requirement for the Women's or Men's team? I heard, not directly, that the requirement has been 1350 for the men's team for a few years. But I guess the requirement is likely soft as a function of the recruit's golf talent level. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, allenartlab said:

The SAT requirement is a myth. Just curious: Is 1400 a requirement for the Women's or Men's team? I heard, not directly, that the requirement has been 1350 for the men's team for a few years. But I guess the requirement is likely soft as a function of the recruit's golf talent level. 

The number I was given for SAT is you need at least 500 per section is what I heard a coach tell us at a QA session.

To be honest if you can’t get 1000 after a couple of tries on the SAT maybe college isn’t for you.

Other schools are probably higher but if your kid has any brains and you pay for a decent prep class they will have no issue with SAT or ACT.

Anyone remember the scandal where rich kids used athletics  as a side-door because they weren’t smart enough with academics for a school. Your kid being recruited is using that same door to admission. Doesn’t mean they can slack off but they do have an edge in getting through admissions then the average kid.

Edited by tiger1873

1 hour ago, tiger1873 said:

The number I was given for SAT is you need at least 500 per section is what I heard a coach tell us at a QA session.

To be honest if you can’t get 1000 after a couple of tries on the SAT maybe college isn’t for you.

Other schools are probably higher but if your kid has any brains and you pay for a decent prep class they will have no issue with SAT or ACT.

Anyone remember the scandal where rich kids used athletics  as a side-door because they weren’t smart enough with academics for a school. Your kid being recruited is using that same door to admission. Doesn’t mean they can slack off but they do have an edge in getting through admissions then the average kid.

minimum score of 500 for each section as a requirement for D1 recruit makes sense. I'm just curious about what the real SAT requirement for Stanford golf is.  I heard numbers all over the place... 

12 minutes ago, allenartlab said:

minimum score of 500 for each section as a requirement for D1 recruit makes sense. I'm just curious about what the real SAT requirement for Stanford golf is.  I heard numbers all over the place... 

1400 Stanford/1450 Columbia are what I was told. Men’s team. 

31 minutes ago, allenartlab said:

I think the 500 for each section is a NCAA rule so I would expect that is what  the stanfords sailing coach John Vandemoer needed to get those Rich Kids into the school.  

I doubt much has changed in that once a coach vouches for you are in via fast track and the golf team works just like any other sport.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/25/stanford-coach-in-admissions-scandal-says-hes-innocent/

Edited by tiger1873

16 hours ago, allenartlab said:

Ummm... it is not a myth.  When you are talking about Head Count Sports it maybe, but not certain institutions like Stanford, Notre Dame.  In terms of Equivalency Sports, it is not a myth at all.

10 hours ago, allenartlab said:

I also heard Columbia requires 1450. So does Dartmouth. 

You might want to look a this  for SAT and GPA scores guidelines.   I wouldn't worry about a specific school min SAT that they require until your talking to the actual coach during recruiting.

It literally could change depending who is running the athletic departments and admissions of each school.

https://stanford_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/Compliance/InitialEligibilityQuickReferenceSheet.pdf

InitialEligibilityQuickReferenceSheet.pdf

Edited by tiger1873

2 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

You might want to look a this  for SAT and GPA scores guidelines.   I wouldn't worry about a specific school min SAT that they require until your talking to the actual coach during recruiting.

It literally could change depending who is running the athletic departments and admissions of each school.

https://stanford_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/Compliance/InitialEligibilityQuickReferenceSheet.pdf

InitialEligibilityQuickReferenceSheet.pdf 365.88 kB · 6 downloads

SAT/ACT is going away for NCAA requirements next year.  That doesn't mean the individual schools won't require that SAT/ACT score still.

Honestly though, if you can't score higher than a 1000 on the SAT, you are a dummy.  

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1