Best App for Stat Tracking?

A lot of the easily available apps for stat tracking like the GHIN app don't do a great job since it only captures fairway/greens %s and number of putts which aren't fantastic metrics.

What's the best app where I can record stuff like length of the putts or each shot to factor into the statistics?

On 9/16/2022 at 11:43 AM, peach_birdies said:

A lot of the easily available apps for stat tracking like the GHIN app don't do a great job since it only captures fairway/greens %s and number of putts which aren't fantastic metrics.

What's the best app where I can record stuff like length of the putts or each shot to factor into the statistics?

If you want to take a deep dive, I'd go with Shotscope.  Sure, you may find an app with a few more stats than you have now, but strokes gained stats are really the best thing to track these days.  At $130 for the H4 or $160 for the V3 watch (sale going on today), it's a really awesome value in my opinion.

Edited by dsmil
  • Like 3

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/12/2022 at 5:17 AM, tlally01 said:

What is the best app if you track your shots on a scorecard (not with an app or club tag) and want to enter everything post-round? Something simple with strokes gained that is accurate.

I tried ANOVA and it was too much and difficult to enter post-round. 

I am a little biased, as it's my job - but I'd love for you to try Circles (drawmorecircles.com).

Simple data collection and entry (during or post round) - gives you great detailed SG stats which is great if you're looking for simple stat tracking. We're also really focused ont the next step - improvement. Circles identifies those low hanging fruit in your game when it comes to improving your score. Helping you focus your training and improvement on the areas that matter.

We've got a free five round trial - would love to get you in there and get your feedback!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2022 at 9:52 PM, willyrolly said:

I am a little biased, as it's my job - but I'd love for you to try Circles (drawmorecircles.com).

Simple data collection and entry (during or post round) - gives you great detailed SG stats which is great if you're looking for simple stat tracking. We're also really focused ont the next step - improvement. Circles identifies those low hanging fruit in your game when it comes to improving your score. Helping you focus your training and improvement on the areas that matter.

We've got a free five round trial - would love to get you in there and get your feedback!

I actually was just reading about circles tonight.  A few questions (1) looks like you have to laser each shot and record the lie - which means constantly entering stuff on your phone as you are trying to play (2) how would you suggest you can enter the data post round?  

On 12/14/2022 at 9:46 PM, Kball10 said:

I actually was just reading about circles tonight.  A few questions (1) looks like you have to laser each shot and record the lie - which means constantly entering stuff on your phone as you are trying to play (2) how would you suggest you can enter the data post round?  

I just started evaluating it. One round in.

I'm like you, I don't want to fumble with the phone while I'm playing. For tracking, I use the downloadable score card. Super easy during the round. After you hit you just have to write down "F 150" and you're done - takes about 2 seconds.

Entering in the round using your computer when you get 15 mins at home is easy, too. And let's me replay the round in my head as I'm doing it to figure out what was good and bad.

2 hours ago, koa said:

I just started evaluating it. One round in.

I'm like you, I don't want to fumble with the phone while I'm playing. For tracking, I use the downloadable score card. Super easy during the round. After you hit you just have to write down "F 150" and you're done - takes about 2 seconds.

Entering in the round using your computer when you get 15 mins at home is easy, too. And let's me replay the round in my head as I'm doing it to figure out what was good and bad.

Thanks for the response.  I did not see the downloadable scorecard.  How are you measuring putts?  Pacing them off?

@Kball10 - on the longer ones I paced them off when I could - I can see it getting tricky if I get paired with golfers who care more about "How Fast?" and not "How Many?". I try to avoid the "evil eye" whenever I can 🙂

Inside 15 feet it's an eyeball estimate. 

I've got two rounds scheduled for the weekend and will track both. Hope to have more feedback and a better idea on what the data is saying.

Edited by koa
Bad grammar

53 minutes ago, koa said:

@Kball10 - on the longer ones I paced them off when I could - I can see it getting tricky if I get paired with golfers who care more about "How Fast?" and not "How Many?". I try to avoid the "evil eye" whenever I can 🙂

I've got two rounds scheduled for the weekend and will track both. Hope to have more feedback and a better idea on what the data is saying.

Thanks for feedback.  Appreciate it.

I feel this questions depends on what you want.

Basic Stats: Just about every app will do this for free. Try them out.

Pure Strokes Gained: Golfmetrics but you need a laserfinder or GPS on watch for distances.

Data including SG but don't want to look at your phone: Fore, auto detects shots just sitting in your pocket.

Do you have a smartwatch? if Yes, whole new world of options again depending on what you want.

I think if you give an idea of what you want to track and see, members might be able to point you to something.

I've tired the following with many rounds.

Golfmetrics. Great SG data if that is your thing. Plus you can export data to excel and play with it.

Fore: Sits in pocket, picks up most swings. Quick green putt location edit per hole (take 10 seconds) and you have a visual recap of round, SG and can compare against other handicaps. 

4 hours ago, CFAnPEI said:

I feel this questions depends on what you want.

Basic Stats: Just about every app will do this for free. Try them out.

Pure Strokes Gained: Golfmetrics but you need a laserfinder or GPS on watch for distances.

Data including SG but don't want to look at your phone: Fore, auto detects shots just sitting in your pocket.

Do you have a smartwatch? if Yes, whole new world of options again depending on what you want.

I think if you give an idea of what you want to track and see, members might be able to point you to something.

I've tired the following with many rounds.

Golfmetrics. Great SG data if that is your thing. Plus you can export data to excel and play with it.

Fore: Sits in pocket, picks up most swings. Quick green putt location edit per hole (take 10 seconds) and you have a visual recap of round, SG and can compare against other handicaps. 

I am looking for SG.  I do have an Apple Watch

• 3 months later...

I'd recommend the Shotscope H4 (or the watch if you like that kind of stuff).  I've been using the H4 since I won one in a giveway here on WRX.  I immeidately stopped using the rangefinder, but still use the H4 every round I play.  I'll track the stats, come home, kiss the wifey, go downstairs and update/clean up the stats as much as I can and its been helpful.

• Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

7 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

I'd recommend the Shotscope H4 (or the watch if you like that kind of stuff).  I've been using the H4 since I won one in a giveway here on WRX.  I immeidately stopped using the rangefinder, but still use the H4 every round I play.  I'll track the stats, come home, kiss the wifey, go downstairs and update/clean up the stats as much as I can and its been helpful.

I love my H4.   I have almost eliminated my rangefinder.   The end of round edit is easy and the data is fantastic.   I still input my data into TheGrint but it's almost irrelevant, more of a habit.    

1 minute ago, Curmudg3on said:

I love my H4.   I have almost eliminated my rangefinder.   The end of round edit is easy and the data is fantastic.   I still input my data into TheGrint but it's almost irrelevant, more of a habit.    

Is the H4 another Shot Scope device- as another earlier indicated- where the score is only registered via the shot tracking feature (i.e., one can't manually input the hole-by-hole score on the device during the round or via the website scorecard after the round)?

https://shotscope.com/us/products/golf-gps-handhelds/h4/

Thats what I'm talking about, so the GPS has a little clip on it that you attach to your belt (also handy to always have a GPS on you), and before you hit you just tap the tag on the end of the grip to the GPS and go, I'll assume the watch is basically the same thing but its on your wrist vs your belt.  Then of course you can add/adjust everything post round via the app or the website.  I use the website as its just much easier in my opinion.  

So like I tap it on the tee, tap it on my 2nd, then tap the putter on the green, tap again where my  1st putt ends up, then you hold the GPS at the flag and tap number of putts and that hits the pin location.  So its GPS so its not always super accurate, but thats why you just go back and edit.  Like my round this weekend it had me hitting a green to 2ft and then hitting my first putt 20ft past the hole then making the comebacker, but its an easy edit.

• Thanks 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Plus I'll add this, one of the best selling points is that the Shotscope tracking is free with the purchase of the H4, unlike Arccos that have annual subscriptions.  While the Arccos is maybe a bit more high tech, works with a smart watch and auto detects your swings, I think the small price to pay with the Shotscope is worth it.  Plus the tags for the Shotscope are about the size of a nickel, vs the huge Arccos ones that stick up like 1/2" off the butt of your club.  

• Like 1

I purchased a new V3 a few weeks ago, have used Golf Pad for three years prior.  I was pleased with Golf Pad and their service, but sometimes tapping tag wouldn’t work with phone and “fixing” that was distracting.  I have been pleasantly surprised how easy the V3 is to use.  I have everything set to auto and so far it has not missed a shot or putt.  It’s definitely less distracting, no lugging phone, no tapping a tag, and the pin collect method is brilliant.  I still catch myself tapping the screen instead of a button though.  Basically it’s been turn on the watch, play, sync watch to phone after round.  The only manipulation I’ve had to do so far is changing a shot to positional after the round.  I can’t imagine anything being easier.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 12:42 PM, Jc0 said:

What's the best app with stats and proximity to hole on greens. Feel like I've been getting some false data from the app I current use because I'm hitting plenty of greens but high putts and having trouble telling if it's because my putting is bad or my proximity to hole is bad. 

Keep track of your first putt distance.   Input to this https://www.golfrankingstats.com/strokes-gained-calculator/  you can then track strokes gained putting which is the best way to track putting.  Make sure to input your handicap the same each time.

• 2 months later...
On 12/16/2022 at 4:21 PM, koa said:

What are your thoughts 6 months later?  Are you still using it?

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter