2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

I-65 South of Nashville recommendation

6holesn1

Planning our 26th Annual Buddies trip down to Northern Alabama the 1st week in March.  We will be driving from Wisconsin on a Friday and cannot get into our Airbnb in Guntersville until Saturday afternoon.  Looking for recommendations along the I-65 corridor south of Nashville to play on Saturday.  Our itinerary already includes RTJ Hampton Cove and Silver Lakes, as well as local courses around Guntersville/Scottsboro.  Thinking either Towhee or venture west to RTJ Muscle Shoals to play The Judge.  Any private CC that would be worthwhile having our pro making a call.  12 players.  

TIA

WITB:

TaylorMade M6 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Red 6 stiff
TaylorMade SIM Rocket
TaylorMade SIM 5 wood
TaylorMade 2019 P790 4-P  KBS Tour 120 stiff SS1X
TaylorMade MG2 48* KBS Tour 120 stiff-MG2 54* and 58* KBS Hi-REV 2.0
PXG Gen2 Operator 38 inches
PING Heppler ZB3

On 11/5/2022 at 8:17 AM, golfgoob said:

My son played a tournament at Towhee last weekend. He played horrible and didn't care for the course. Looking back after the fact, it's a fairly nice course. He couldn't figure out the greens and they were hard and difficult to hold a shot, for him at least. I'd recommend playing it on your way down.

Greens are about a year old TifEagle. Slick and do not hold hot low balls. I’ve been playing it since 2005. Pace of play is about the only thing I can’t handle anymore. Hoping to play Thursday out there. 

Vanderbilt Legends club.  Your pro can probably get you on the south course.  There is nothing outstanding or remarkable architecturally but it stays in very nice shape and is a challenging course.  Bermuda greens.

Well north of Nashville I would recommend Park Mammoth in Park City, Ky.  It is maybe five minutes off the interstate.

• Like 1

For early March I'd recommend going as far south as possible. So I guess that means I'd say the RTJ courses in Muscle Shoals would be my choice even if that means a little extra time in the car.

Middle TN in March isn't the best time for golf. Most of the courses will not yet have broken out of dormancy (meaning you'll have brown, dormant fairways that typically stay wet and soggy). Also, the weather is a total toss up. You're just as likely to get a nice day in the 60s-70s as you are to end up with a frost delay on a day that doesn't get above 45.

FYI there are very few if any options once you get south of the Nashville metro area. Even around Nashville I wouldn't consider anything (private or public) a "must play".

Edited by Abh159

Thanks for the suggestions.  Been investigating….drive time on Friday, lodging Friday night, golf on Saturday, and drive time after Saturday golf to final destination in Guntersville AL any opinion on Tim’s Ford?  

In our years of coming down we’ve hit most of West Kentucky & Tennessee State Parks (Montgomery Bell/Greystone, Paris Landing, Pickwick Lake, Chickasaw, Lake Barkley, Murray) and Northern Mississippi/Oxford area, but never Tim’s Ford.  Sweetens Cove is out, as I’ve saving that for another time/group later in 2023.  

Once again.  TIA.  

WITB:

TaylorMade SIM Rocket
TaylorMade SIM 5 wood
PING Heppler ZB3

2 hours ago, 6holesn1 said:

any opinion on Tim’s Ford?  

I played it this past summer. Typical state park type course with a fairly easy layout. Oddly enough for being on what is basically an island there are almost zero lake/water views from the course. If it weren’t for random boat noise you wouldn’t even know you were on a lake.  

Greens are decent, fairways tees and rough are average, and the bunkers are awful and need to be redone. 

If it’s on the way then it’s fine to stop and play, but I definitely wouldn’t go out of your way to play it. 

Perfect.  Sums it up perfectly.  TF out.

What about Henry Horton?   

WITB:

TaylorMade SIM Rocket
TaylorMade SIM 5 wood
PING Heppler ZB3

26 minutes ago, 6holesn1 said:

Perfect.  Sums it up perfectly.  TF out.

What about Henry Horton?   

Don’t let it fool you for a State Park track.  It’s a straight forward course that doesn’t fair well with stray shots. 9 and 18 you have to hit fairway or it’s tough to recover. 9 especially with an elevated green. 

A couple points of clarification here...

The Judge is just north of Montgomery, AL, nowhere close to Muscle Shoals FYI. 

Sewanee is off I-24 not I-65. You can get there from 65 but only with a lot of backroad driving. Probably too far out of the way for his purposes. 

Personally I don't think Tim's Ford gives up that much compared to the RTJ courses in North Alabama. It is easier for sure, but conditions are usually really good and there is plenty of variety among the holes. Pace of play is reasonable. With the leaves off the trees you'll see more of the lake this time of year. HOWEVER it is still quite a ways from 65. 

Huntsville is probably the answer here. Plenty of golf, plenty of hotels and restaurants. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Agree with most of what @me05501 said.

Sewanee and Tim's ford are both going to be 60 - 90 minutes (each way) off of I-65 and it's back roads. RTJ Muscle Shoals is still a bit of a drive, but it's closer to 45 minutes (each way) on the highway which is much easier. 

Since you asked... I'll give you two private club recs, but I should mention it's been 10+ years since I've played either. Those are Huntsville CC and Burning Tree CC (Decatur, AL). They are usually (at least when I've played) in good shape and are much, much closer to the route your taking. FYI on this piece though... I don't know that any private club is going to be willing to accommodate 12 unaccompanied guests. 

If the OP *does* end up using I-24/I-59 to get to Guntersville it brings several good options into play, including McLemore on Lookout Mountain near Trenton, GA. If you want a more casual/easier round in the same area there is Dogwood Hills and Trenton Golf Club. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Ok… for clarification.  This will be our 3rd year heading down to N AL.  The last two years we have driven to Hampton Inn & Suites Hampton Cove (Huntsville) via I-24/I-65 spent the night and played   RTJ Hampton before heading to the Airbnb in Guntersville.  This year we are adding one more day to the adventure.  We have no issue driving 12 or so hours on day one.  More concerned about drive to Guntersville from Day 1 golf.  Would like to keep around 2 hour max. Hampton Cove is already on the itinerary for the week so looking for recommendations within 2 hour max drive north of Guntersville.  Meant Fighting Joe @ Muscle Shoals.  My bad.  Keep it coming.  Love this site.  Thanks y’all.   

• Like 1

WITB:

TaylorMade SIM Rocket
TaylorMade SIM 5 wood
PING Heppler ZB3

Cherokee Ridge is in Union Grove, about 15 minutes from Guntersville. Semi Private, but it’s a non issue to get a tee time. Solid track and used to host some Nike Tour events. They replaced their greens with Bermuda this summer because of annual problems with the bent, but it should be in good shape right now. Kind of an afterthought in the Huntsville area, but worth a look. 

If you can get on, the Ledges in the best course in North AL outside of possibly Turtle Point. TP is an excellent private club in Killen, which is across the river from RTJ Shoals, which you’ve already mentioned as a destination. The Ledges is in SE Huntsville and hosted a Korn Ferry event last fall. Beautiful course, excellent condition, fantastic views. Both are worth a look if you can get a tee time. 

Burningtree is another solid track in the Priceville/Decatur area. Greens are typically excellent this time of year and as fast anything you’ll play in the area. It’s right off 65, so access wouldn’t be a problem. It’s a step down from The Ledges or Turtle Point, but a better overall course than Cherokee Ridge IMO, from a strictly golf perspective. 

If I had my pick… 

1. Turtle Point - Killen, AL - Robert Trent Jones Sr Design

2. The Ledges - Huntsville, AL - Mike Hurdzan Design 

3. Burningtree - Decatur, AL - George Cobb Design 

4. Cherokee Ridge - Union Grove, AL 

All good options and none would be a disappointing addition to your trip. Good luck! 

ETA: Just reread your second post and if you’re willing to drive ~2 hours from Guntersville, Farmlinks/Pursell Farms in Sylacauga would rank very highly on my list. Same designer as The Ledges and a top notch facility from top to bottom. 

Limestone Springs in Oneonta in about 45 min from Guntersville and one of my favorite courses in the area. I haven’t played it in about 2 years, but it’s definitely worthy of consideration. 

Timberline in Calera is also a great facility, but it’s pushing the 2 hour mark and would be a similar drive to Farmlinks, but would be a step down, even though it’s a very solid track. So if you’re going that far, I can’t recommend Farmlinks enough. 

You won’t have much luck with the private courses in the B’ham area… they’re some of the best in the state, but it’s a long shot to get a tee time at Shoal Creek, CC of B’ham, Overton or Greystone. 

Anyway, if you have any specific questions, just let me know. 

Edited by MFBach
  • Like 2

Has anyone played Ross Creek Landing under the new ownership/management? It was opened as a Bear Trace course but didn't get enough play...too remote. Some serious players told me it was their favorite among the Bear Trace courses FWIW. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

12 hours ago, MFBach said:

Farmlinks/Pursell Farms

To me, this is the most fun golf course in Alabama. Typically good conditioning, interesting holes, not too difficult but not cookie cutter either. You can hit driver pretty much everywhere out there and the greens hold well. Just a really awesome place. I think I wish I lived there. 

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

1 hour ago, vandyfan said:

To me, this is the most fun golf course in Alabama.

It might not be the “best” course in the state, but IMO, it’s the most fun and favorite to play. 

1 hour ago, vandyfan said:

Typically good conditioning, interesting holes, not too difficult but not cookie cutter either. You can hit driver pretty much everywhere out there and the greens hold well. Just a really awesome place.

I can’t remember the exact details, but it’s some kind of research facility. They’re always testing new products and I’ve seen a lot of things for the first time on site. The course maintenance is second to none and conditions are typically excellent. There’s a sign on each hole with the tee, fairway, and rough grass types… mostly zoysia and Bermuda mixes, but it does vary around the course, and all of the greens are T1 Bent. 

It’s also an extremely friendly course. It’s wide open off the tee for the most part, but offers a ton of challenging approach shots. It’s very gettable overall though. If anyone is in the area, again, I cannot recommend it enough. 

• 3 months later...
On 11/5/2022 at 7:57 AM, 6holesn1 said:

Planning our 26th Annual Buddies trip down to Northern Alabama the 1st week in March.  We will be driving from Wisconsin on a Friday and cannot get into our Airbnb in Guntersville until Saturday afternoon.  Looking for recommendations along the I-65 corridor south of Nashville to play on Saturday.  Our itinerary already includes RTJ Hampton Cove and Silver Lakes, as well as local courses around Guntersville/Scottsboro.  Thinking either Towhee or venture west to RTJ Muscle Shoals to play The Judge.  Any private CC that would be worthwhile having our pro making a call.  12 players.  

TIA

Where are you playing and watch out for storms.

Hampton 

Silver Lakes

Cherokee Ridge

And a couple local..Gunters Landing and the State Park.  

Weather forecast is doable.   

WITB:

TaylorMade SIM Rocket
TaylorMade SIM 5 wood
PING Heppler ZB3