2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2023

pseudoswede

Yesterday during couple's league, I lost 5 balls in 6 holes. Four times we saw the ball bounce, and couldn't find it once we got there.

Today, FRGC at Legacy Ridge, I lost 6 balls on 12 holes. One of those was a provisional that I hooked OB (fortunately found the first ball). My group lost six balls in total in the tall grass. Front nine 45 with 5 penalty strokes. The A flight (0-11 hcp) was a total dumpster fire today. I finished T3 with an 86 (gross) and placed 2nd with +5 net; two players carded 98's.

Definitely not the easiest walk; didn't help I spent most of my time in the rough. The walk between is 4 and 5 is crazy long (as is 12 and 13), and some of the "shortcuts" between holes is just literally going straight up and down a large hill--which isn't easy with a push cart.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Who's going to make it out to the US Am next week? I can't make it down this year but excited for the TV coverage of the last few matches. 

I went in 2012 and saw Spieth and Thomas Pieters play a R64 match. Then followed Pieters in the R32 and he lost to Albin Choi - great memories walking around those couple of days. 

Edit: Fun to read down the list of guys who made match play and see that 11 years later so many of them are "names" in some way... https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/championship-archives/2012 U.S. Amateur Results.pdf

And Cam Smith, Berger, Hossler and HIdeki barely missed match play

Edited by 007iron
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, 007iron said:

Who's going to make it out to the US Am next week? I can't make it down this year but excited for the TV coverage of the last few matches.

A BN member's 16 year old son made it into it (Luke Colton). He was shooting par or better at BN when he was 12 from the regular walk up tee boxes. I may go down on Saturday if he makes it to the weekend.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2023 at 8:04 PM, pseudoswede said:

Yesterday during couple's league, I lost 5 balls in 6 holes. Four times we saw the ball bounce, and couldn't find it once we got there.

Today, FRGC at Legacy Ridge, I lost 6 balls on 12 holes. One of those was a provisional that I hooked OB (fortunately found the first ball). My group lost six balls in total in the tall grass. Front nine 45 with 5 penalty strokes. The A flight (0-11 hcp) was a total dumpster fire today. I finished T3 with an 86 (gross) and placed 2nd with +5 net; two players carded 98's.

Definitely not the easiest walk; didn't help I spent most of my time in the rough. The walk between is 4 and 5 is crazy long (as is 12 and 13), and some of the "shortcuts" between holes is just literally going straight up and down a large hill--which isn't easy with a push cart.

I find carrying easier than pushing on anything other than an absolutely flat course.

I lost 2 balls on legacy yesterday on the second hole and made a nine. 

• Like 1

@Joelness how was the USGA Mid-Am qualifer at Murphy Creek? I saw the two qualifiers shot pretty low. I was signed up and wanted to play but I got super sick the day before and didn't recover. I also haven't played a hole of golf in over three weeks. It would not have been pretty for me. I've got my calendar circled for the 9/11 Longmont Twin Peaks CGA Mid-Am qualifier. That's basically my major for the year.

• Like 2

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

2 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

@Joelness how was the USGA Mid-Am qualifer at Murphy Creek? I saw the two qualifiers shot pretty low. I was signed up and wanted to play but I got super sick the day before and didn't recover. I also haven't played a hole of golf in over three weeks. It would not have been pretty for me. I've got my calendar circled for the 9/11 Longmont Twin Peaks CGA Mid-Am qualifier. That's basically my major for the year.

I am playing in the Twin Peaks event too. However, my game has been in shambles lately so need to figure something out. I have a month...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Hardrain said:

I am playing in the Twin Peaks event too. However, my game has been in shambles lately so need to figure something out. I have a month...

It’s go time. 

• Like 1

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

1 hour ago, Hardrain said:

Haha i was on fire just a few weeks ago but something changed. Such is golf.

I've played pretty crappy for last couple years, but I think I'm on to something. Turning it around is just a swing (swing thought) away!

• Like 1

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

10 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

7 hours ago, Hardrain said:

Murphy was in pretty good shape. I had some speed control issues on the greens that cost me 4-5 shots. I wasn't playing well enough for a 69, overall just mediocre.

Sounds like a lot of people will be there. I'll buy the first pitcher!

• Like 3

FRGC at Mariana Butte yesterday

The most blah round ever. 8 bogeys, 10 pars, 36 putts; net even par. I never had a real good look at birdie until 18, where I missed an easy 4-footer. My ball striking was all over the place; the most annoying thing is that I'm hitting all of my wedges really thin.

I still finished 1st net in my flight. Even though I've only played in 7 out of 14 tournaments, I think I've done enough to earn my invite to the season-ending championship at Raindance, so I got that going for me.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dancin said:

The rounds are slow. Looking like 5:15-5.5 hours for anyone still on the course and that is with 11-14 minute tee time gaps and playing threesomes. Ridiculous

I thought the scores were taking a long time to update and post. That’s completely unacceptable! How do they let that happen. 

On 8/8/2023 at 10:57 AM, Dancin said:

A BN member's 16 year old son made it into it (Luke Colton). He was shooting par or better at BN when he was 12 from the regular walk up tee boxes. I may go down on Saturday if he makes it to the weekend.

That poor kid…I wonder what happened on 15. 

Watched Gordon Sargent for awhile yesterday but didn't stay long enough to find out how he made 2 on the 482 yard uphill par 4 18! Really wish I saw that.

Never seen anyone pound it like him. On 4 (438 yards) we were standing in the fairway watching two players hit in from around 120, couldn't figure out where Sargent was. He was up by the green where I certainly wasn't looking for him. Drive at least 400 yards (a little helping wind).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hardrain said:

Watched Gordon Sargent for awhile yesterday but didn't stay long enough to find out how he made 2 on the 482 yard uphill par 4 18! Really wish I saw that.

Never seen anyone pound it like him. On 4 (438 yards) we were standing in the fairway watching two players hit in from around 120, couldn't figure out where Sargent was. He was up by the green where I certainly wasn't looking for him. Drive at least 400 yards (a little helping wind).

I'm working on getting out there simply for this. I can't imagine how far he is hitting it out here. What a stud. Supposedly the Blades Brown kid out of Tennessee is nuts as well. His 8 birdies and 2 eagles should play well in match play...

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

1 minute ago, TheKrushh said:

I'm working on getting out there simply for this. I can't imagine how far he is hitting it out here. What a stud. Supposedly the Blades Brown kid out of Tennessee is nuts as well. His 8 birdies and 2 eagles should play well in match play...

Was just looking at his score today and damn!

15 is easy to reach in two so not surprised on the eagle there, certain pin positions feed the ball to towards it too if you land short and left. 

8 though I'd love to know how he got the eagle.  It's technically driveable even though it is uphill, but the margin for error around the green is so small and can get you in so much trouble that I wonder if he drove the green and made the putt, or if he laid up and chipped in or something. 

Hell of a round though.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ASak10 said:

15 is easy to reach in two so not surprised on the eagle there, certain pin positions feed the ball to towards it too if you land short and left. 

8 though I'd love to know how he got the eagle.  It's technically driveable even though it is uphill, but the margin for error around the green is so small and can get you in so much trouble that I wonder if he drove the green and made the putt, or if he laid up and chipped in or something. 

Hell of a round though.   

I was thinking the same thing on 8! I always regret trying to go for it because anything not perfect is almost an impossible up and down. I find a long iron to 20-30 short is the best play to make 3. I'd love to know what he did. Can't imagine having those unconscious rounds in those conditions when it matters so much. What a day!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ASak10 said:

Hell of a round though.   

saw a video of it. Holed a lob wedge from 70-90-ish yards from the fairway

• Thanks 1

I think I might check out some of the action on Saturday afternoon. Excited to see Cherry Hills, if nothing else.

• Like 4

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

5 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I think I might check out some of the action on Saturday afternoon. Excited to see Cherry Hills, if nothing else.

You absolutely should. I went today and took my boys with me, it was an amazing experience. For those with kids they have a fun kid zone and the kids can putt, hit in a simulator, and chip onto a green floating in the pool.

Otherwise we walked around and followed a few groups, was super chill and so cool to see these guys play. Concessions are shockingly affordable too! Not quite Augusta prices but very fair pricing. 

We ended up following the Lorenz-Kingsland match for most of the day and  it was very fun to watch them play. Saw them both birdie 11 and then hit two shots pretty tight on 12. One barely missed his birdie putt but the other sank his. It was a good match to watch. Caught some other groups when we were bouncing around the different holes, fun to see all the amazing swings. 

It’s just such a well run event. So glad I pulled my kids from camp to have them go watch. 

• Like 2

https://x.com/usga/status/1693020684887249395?s=46

just watched this go down from a couple feet away. What a cool experience. What a great tournament to watch. Not really any ropes, people running around everywhere. Can stand right behind the players as the guy. What a great venue. I highly recommend going out and watching the final match tomorrow. They tee off at 7 am. 

• Like 4

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

On a separate note, anyone know a golf course in the Denver area where they let you go off the back nine on a Sunday morning first come, first served like they do at Collindale? 

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

20 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

On a separate note, anyone know a golf course in the Denver area where they let you go off the back nine on a Sunday morning first come, first served like they do at Collindale? 

Wellshire and Meadow Hills offer early morning back 9, but you do have to make a tee time. Would be cool if more courses offered first-come, first-serve.

Thursday night beer league got moved to Friday night, and we played at Highlands Ranch Golf Club. Talk about a course with absolutely pristine fairways. The greens are also in great shape, but they're also really beat up because lots of people don't bother fixing their pitch marks, or they do it poorly. After a disastrous 9 there as well as last night in couples league, my whole game is in shambles. Might be good to take a small break. My next FRGC isn't until September 10, and we might miss the next two couples leagues as well. Not that I'm going to do anything about it like go to the range--I'll be busy sending my kid off to CU-Boulder and making up for lost time in the yard and cleaning up the house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1