2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2023

pseudoswede

9 minutes ago, CDM said:

Is there that one club in the bag that no matter what you do, fittings, range time, etc you just can never get it right?

I had this problem with a 6 iron once that was wrecking my mind.  5 was awesome.  4 was awesome.  I was playing a lot and could at least shoot par on any course from the back tees, so it was my prime.  The 6 would just always go left.  I got to where I just did not play it or would play a push-draw and try and use it - try being the ultimate word since trying sucks and is not the same as doing a draw into a green.

Had a friend take the shaft out, turn it upside down and I hit it perfectly after that.  These were certainly x100 so quality shaft, but his thought was the the grip was just slightly off and that even though I could not sense it, my body felt it and I was doing something different during the swing.  It was likely a mis build and nobody could see it.

Had a friend who could not hit his 8 iron at all.  Finally got it measured and it was more than 4 degrees weak somehow - bent it back and he could hit it again.

These can be frustrating.  Most folks who are not in tune with their game will never figure it out.  I probably don't play enough anymore where I could even tell.

As for a single type of club, I struggle with full-swing 60 degree wedges.. no idea if they are going 55 yards or 80.  I just don't hit them anymore.  It does not matter which one that I use, so it is 100% me.

Most 3 wood issues that I have seen is a lack of transition from mid irons to driver.  Iron swing is good and driver swing is good.  This is why I recommend that people still know how to hit a 3 iron even if they would never play one.  That 3 iron swing helps with hybrids too, IMO.  Everybody is different, though, but my 3 wood is humming when my 3 iron is humming.

• Like 2

Blades are awesome for "Fun golf" and I love the vibe of playing them but not for playing your "best golf". I used to have a  Taylormade "Player staff" contract and played their TP MB's for a season and they were a riot. Have to be dialed at all times though.

Couple rounds at HR this weekend. I'll see if there's any of the summer game still hiding in there!

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

3 hours ago, Dancin said:

Joel getting rid of his old irons 

Those look sick! Shame. 

After much experimentation, I’m proud to have Callaway (driver), Titleist (fairway woods and wedges), Taylor Made (irons), and Ping (putter) in the bag. I guess being the guy who one of every brand can be as bad as the brand fan boy, but I like it!

I struggled with 3w for years until a friend had me hit a 913f, and it changed everything. I think I learned I do not like modern fairway woods, which seem more intent on low spin, with really shallow faces and long bodies. Yuck. Couldn’t find the face. With the 913f I feel like I can’t miss. Got it in 5w too. 

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

9 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I think I learned I do not like modern fairway woods, which seem more intent on low spin, with really shallow faces and long bodies. Yuck.

This is part of why I'm still hitting almost 20 year old Callaway Big Bertha steel 3w and 5w. A lot of the woods today remind me of the Adams tight lies

On 11/1/2023 at 1:32 PM, dubbelbogey said:

Another possibility is the lie angles are (now) more upright. Maybe years of hitting them may have caused the lie angles to drift  - especially if they're soft/forged and spent time hitting off mats.

Good idea, though my swing has gotten more upright since then so not a likely candidate.

On 11/1/2023 at 2:34 PM, jda said:

You mean 710mb, right?  I don't remember them having that much offset to where it gave spine shivers.  The most likely answer is that you are not liking the look and are closing the face at address or impact because of it.

Negative, they are 610's and yes the offset is obtrusive. I found a refinisher on ebay a while ago that plated them with a gunmetal finish and they are gorgeous outside of the offset.

Apologies.... I have regretfully taken way too much time off this thread since posing the questions, lol.

On 11/1/2023 at 4:12 PM, CDM said:

.........everyone is so serious on here I thought for sure we would be hitting up a few "clubs" to discuss.   *ignored the pun I made 🤤

I would agree on the offset but not sold that is it.  I think it is both.  Mainly having played with @Joelness and watching your swing / release.  

Stupid point but we took the office to Top Golf on Friday night for food, drinks, hitting balls.  This was my first time ever hitting balls a Top Golf for record.   

I grabbed a 7 iron from that bin and it keep fading on me.  It was p*ssing me off honestly and then one the employees chimed in  "Yoooo smooth, you are hitting the ladies club"  🤣    I had no idea there was a "womens flex" and "mens flex" in that bin thing and  most where mix matched.    I switched and sure enough the ball was going straight.  

@Joelness knowing your swing and release I think the different shaft is big part.  Based on what you stated given there is a decent difference in them and I would bet it is a combination of the two.

Edit: Is the offest that much from your mizzy's?  

Yeah, I think it's a combo of the shaft and offset, but your story also reminded me of when I played Cape Kidnappers with rentals. At the time I only hit a fade and playing with those S flex shafts I ONLY turned it left. I have a hard time believing that my swing has changed that much since then that my old (as in literally started this year with them) shafts are that off for me, but it makes the most sense for sure.

14 hours ago, CDM said:

Oooo in this thread everything goes 🤣   I dont think we have meet most on here will probably tell you it is as good thing LOL   

Titleist..... that is a common view. Titleist drivers though just fit me.  Gamed them since the 905R.   Tried a few others dirvers, fittings, etc but always back to Titelist.

Very "rough attempt" with Titleist irons and have never tired since.  \Vokey wedges are not for me.  Tried them for 1 season and right back to RTX's    

Putters.... I have gamed only 2 putters in 20 years and are Camerons so Titleist.  Studio Stainless newport I bought new in '92 and a Select Newport from 3 or so years ago I game now..  Still have the Studio Stainless.    

*I have gamed 4 putters in 30+ years. First two where had me downs. 

I have bought a couple but not to game. I bought a Cameron TEL Sole Stamp that is a first article ('99) as investment. More so when younger I wanted one but could not afford it so always stuck with me.  It was sent to Cameron for restoration and certified as one of the first 500 made. It had odd markings so thought it was a fake.  Bettinardi made the heads for Cameron at that time and Scotty made the TEL insert and built them himself.    

Oddly this year I picked up two putters though. One in Australia that was more to remember the trip we took and I literally suck with it  HAHAHA.   

Second  https://bettinardi.com/products/bettinardi-25th-anniversay-bb1-ms-putter  New in box still wrapped in plastic at a killer price (way less then MSRP).  Like the TEL to see if they go up in value since there is only 250 of each release.  Not a gamer by all accounts as the insert is actually gold plated....not sure anyone would really use it on the course? Granted putting around the house the thing feels freaking incredible and has tempted me big time........

I think clubs today are all really good with proper fitting given all the options.  Plus unlike @Joelness and the many other really good players in this thread my game is to up and down now with all the stupid self induced issues LOL 

LOL, I love the brand stereotypes. I have a gorgeous Betti Studio Stock 8 that is one of the prettiest things I own and I'm so bad with it it's actually laughable. I think the only thing I've been loyal to are my vokey wedges. I know the exact grinds and bounces that work for me so it's hard for me to give that up as I just replace with the same thing every time.

13 hours ago, CDM said:

Since talking clubs. 

Is there that one club in the bag that no matter what you do, fittings, range time, etc you just can never get it right?

Mine is 3 wood.  I did a full fitting last year and 45-60 mins of hitting 3-woods and what seemed like a 100 shafts.  The fitter just looked over and said   "Should we just give up"   😪 LOL

The best we found (loosing wording) was a Callaway Rogue HL LS 16.5 degree head.  As he put it a messed up 4 wood that he thinks he put maybe 2 other people in ever HAHAHAHA     

He had me hit some stock shaft options at the end and said "When it hits Callaway pre-owned pick one up for cheap is your best option"     

I have one that I really want to be good with, it's a 2018 Callaway UT 18* and I just can't hit it. They mistakenly put the 120g C-Taper S in it and I've never been able to control it. I also love my 17* Titleist 913h so much that I just can't pull it out of the bag. It will only get pulled with it breaks *knock on wood*

• Like 1

On the putter note, my brother got me a putter fitting at Club Champion. Since they wanted me in something more face balanced I bet we tried 30 putters.

In the end to this day nothing sounds and feels like a scotty. That crisp, firm feel and sound off of a forged face is unmatched. Some people like the softer feel and maybe I've just been playing one for too long. The Mizuno "fang-y" putter was the closest and my second place pick behind the Futura X 5 which I have since permanently benched for my custom shop blade that I'm still madly in love with.

Those of you that have played Scotty's with inserts, do they feel softer?

• Like 1

Of course the inserts have a lot of nuance.  What they are made out of and how they are attached matters a lot.  The most important thing is the ball, however - a ball designed to be soft kinda feels the same off of either.  I am a ProV1 guy, or other firm ball and you can tell a difference in the putters.

The faces on the Teryllium ones that are attached with resin feel really good.  The inserts attached with screws feel... well, just different... not better or worse, just different.  The stainless inserts don't feel too much different to me, but I only ever tried it on a putter that I did not care for, so that could be messing with my opinion.

I would say that most of the feel is the difference kinda like the difference between a carbon steel Cameron and a SSS one.  For me, the difference is there, but not enough to worry about.  You will find people that love and swear by either.  The face milling on the stainless ones makes them quite a bit softer, IMO.

I could not tell you what any of them sound like.  If they sounded like breaking of a racked set of pool balls I would not care if they went where I aimed it.  I just don't pay any attention to sound, I guess.

I have a whole wall full of Camerons if you want to hit a few with inserts.  I don't game any of the insert putters, but I do really like one of them enough to take out every once in a while.  They are all blades and most are flow necks - this is what I like so this is what I buy, right?

In the end, I think that the soft steel Studio Designs from 15-20 years ago always felt the best - soft, but also solid.  The best feeling Cameron that I have is Studio Designs 1.5 in the black pearl finish.

I currently game a mid 2010s Laguna in stainless.  It has been sent back for some customizations, but laguna/zing is my favorite widespread design of all time.  This putter is not nearly as soft as the carbon steel ones, but it is plenty soft enough, rolls the ball excellently and when I look down I feel like i am going to make every putt under 20 feet.  I had a putter stolen so I am kinda worried about gaming my older soft steel Lagunas.

Post a photo of those 610 irons.  I have been playing blades and Titleist stuff since they started to use numbers and I have no memory of these.  I am so curious...

Edited by jda
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, jda said:

As for a single type of club, I struggle with full-swing 60 degree wedges.. no idea if they are going 55 yards or 80.  I just don't hit them anymore.  It does not matter which one that I use, so it is 100% me.

I didn't get consistent with my full swing 60 until I got my hands further forward at impact and got really solid club face control. I used to full swing it 90 under a very inconsistent full power and basically just didn't play it as you mention. Now it's my 100 and in club. I can max it at 110 but that's never a good idea.

15 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I struggled with 3w for years until a friend had me hit a 913f, and it changed everything. I think I learned I do not like modern fairway woods, which seem more intent on low spin, with really shallow faces and long bodies. Yuck. Couldn’t find the face. With the 913f I feel like I can’t miss. Got it in 5w too. 

OMG I can't believe you are mentioning this club. I broke mine in 2022 after 9 years and I spent the rest of the year with the god-awful Callaway Eipc Sub-zero that launched at 6*. Last year after a search for another great 3w I finally got a good candidate in the Stealth 2 with the new Kai'li 70x. Then when I thought about it I'm thinking.... "I could spend $500 on that or I could just get a good condition replacement 913f off ebay and stick it on the 82x Whiteboard that I already have and know it's amazing for $100." You can guess what I did.

Edited by Joelness

2 hours ago, jda said:

Post a photo of those 610 irons.  I have been playing blades and Titleist stuff since they started to use numbers and I have no memory of these.  I am so curious...

OK, well I obviously got the model completely wrong now that I look at them, lol. They are 690MB's.

Good opportunity to post the 913's that are still being rocked in the bag. May the hybrid live forever lest I be heartbroken.....

IMG_20231103_110933_787.jpg

IMG_20231103_110835_571.jpg

IMG_20231103_110819_305.jpg

IMG_20231103_110955_526.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

Blades are awesome for "Fun golf" and I love the vibe of playing them but not for playing your "best golf". I used to have a  Taylormade "Player staff" contract and played their TP MB's for a season and they were a riot. Have to be dialed at all times though.

Couple rounds at HR this weekend. I'll see if there's any of the summer game still hiding in there!

Having gone away from blades in my last set I'm firmly settled on going combo for a while. I play my best with blade short irons and CB Mid/Long irons.

For me personally I found the blades get through the knarly lies better which I gain more than I would lose on bad strikes. 5i and 6i it's a totally different story.

2 hours ago, Joelness said:

OK, well I obviously got the model completely wrong now that I look at them, lol. They are 690MB's.

Good opportunity to post the 913's that are still being rocked in the bag. May the hybrid live forever lest I be heartbroken.....

IMG_20231103_110933_787.jpg

IMG_20231103_110835_571.jpg

IMG_20231103_110819_305.jpg

IMG_20231103_110955_526.jpg

Danngg, 2013 was a good year for Titelist fairway woods and hybrids, sounds like. I tried the TSi2 3W and TSr2 3W, and both felt like hollow aluminum cans to me. Not only does the 913f perform great and give me tons of confidence, it has more of the old school meaty thwack than these new ones. I hope my 3w and 5w never break, as I can't see any reason why I would ever trade them. All the modern fairway woods I either crush a low launching, low spinning missile that ends up going basically the same distance as my driver (which is not what I need out of 3w) or I literally top it. It's so weird, I never top anything, but I will top the he** out of a modern 3w.

As for putters, the only insert I've ever liked is the Odyssey White Hot. Feels so good to me. There are a lot of putters out there with inserts that I wish were the white hot insert to try. But at the end of the day, solid milled face still feels the best and gives me the most confidence in speed control and consistent performance. I figured out a few setup things with my PLD and was pretty money toward the end of the year. I am officially considering the mallet and insert experimentation phase to be over (of course, talk to me after a bad putting round next year, haha)

• Like 1

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

913f are in my loaner-bags - 15 and 17 degree.  All of my girls got 913 fairways when they played in HS - cheap, available and came with GREAT shafts.  913 or 915 made a fd that I really liked too.  With the sure-fit, I would just keep buying heads and put your shafts in them.  My youngest would never talk to me again if I got rid of her lefty 17 - go to masher for her.

Get a backup for the hybrid and fairways now.  There will be many of them to choose from as long as yours is playable and you are not desperate.  Once you break it, nobody will have any for sale until the minute that you get a replacement that you hate.  🙂

I would still likely be playing my 913, but I took a lot of time and figured out a TSi.  They were too light for me compared to the older models - too worried about an extra MPH of swing speed.  Added +8 or 9 to the weight and then some lead tape.  Got it to where I love it, but it took a lot of effort.  Of course, I have to add more tape as it plays/wears off.

Screenshot2023-11-03at1_56_43PM.png.7e517eb11cd25ee2936e7c5c2d133ab2.png

• Like 3

So much to catch up on!  

First, an update on my driver loft experiment (which I am positive matters to no one 😆) I decided to try to increase the2 loft in my current driver per @Dancin's suggestion/comment about that. So far, I think it's a big success! I've only played two rounds with it at 10.5* compared to 9*, but it seems to have eliminated the high, loopy, awful slice that would drive me nuts and cost me strokes.  It definitely is easier to pull the driver now, but I think that's going to be an easier fix with my aiming start line and comfort level with the new setup. Distance doesn't seem all that different either.  

@CDM haven't really had a club issue like that, but have had the opposite....my oldest club in my bag right now is a King Cobra hybrid that no newer club has been able to beat. It's just perfect and like you @Joelness, it'll leave my bag only when it's broken!  As for wedges, I've kind of bounced around from wedge to wedge (Mizuno, Callaway, Cleveland) but finally settled on Vokey after doing a fitting and love them.  Will probably stick with them once these wear out but who knows.  So my bag is Titleist driver and 3w, Cobra hybrid, Mizuno irons, Vokey wedges, and Toulon putter.  I like my bag, but I am kinda itching for new irons....we'll see if I can just keep with the Mizunos for a few more years.  

As for putters, I had the original Two Ball in my bag from 2003 until 2020, when I got my Toulon Vegas. I love that club and loved the forged face, and will probably keep that for a long time as well.  However, I was gifted a Scotty from a good friend recently as a thank you for some work stuff I helped him with...I'm not a Scotty guy but this thing is so sweet.  I've played a few rounds with it and unfortunately I don't think I putt nearly as well with it as with my Toulon, but I plan to play it every now and then. 

IMG_2154.jpeg

IMG_2155.jpeg

IMG_2156.jpeg

Edited by ASak10
Picture uploads
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, ASak10 said:

First, an update on my driver loft experiment (which I am positive matters to no one 😆)...

Nope.  I put my new TSr2 into play and went A4 setting up 1.5 degrees.  I tried it fresh out of the trunk and it was a nightmare hitting like maybe only one fairway in 14.  I loved being able to see the face - so whomever mentioned that nuance was genius.  Got some time today and went to the range at Ute and got it sorted - I was worried that the launch would cause too much spin, but it didn't (most swings).  The ball was still going quite far and it did seem easier to hit - confidence is high.  I appreciate the discussion, a lot... so it matters to me.  🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jda said:

Nope.  I put my new TSr2 into play and went A4 setting up 1.5 degrees.  I tried it fresh out of the trunk and it was a nightmare hitting like maybe only one fairway in 14.  I loved being able to see the face - so whomever mentioned that nuance was genius.  Got some time today and went to the range at Ute and got it sorted - I was worried that the launch would cause too much spin, but it didn't (most swings).  The ball was still going quite far and it did seem easier to hit - confidence is high.  I appreciate the discussion, a lot... so it matters to me.  🙂

Like Faith Hill said, it matters to me… 🎼🎼Anyone? 

I love hearing about everyone’s adventures, especially if they improve. Getting to the stage in life where it’s just as satisfying, if not more, to see others succeed and have fun as it is to play well yourself. 

• Like 2

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

On 10/23/2023 at 8:36 AM, 007iron said:

Was down in the city over the weekend and played Homestead Friday and Eisenhower Blue on Saturday. 

Homestead was super fun - I really liked the routing and it played pretty dang firm and fast. Some really fun par 4s - the 9th hole with the two tiered fairway and a pond on the left was really good. The mounding, gum drops and grass bunker all over the place were really cool. Pretty decent price as well ($48 to walk, $68 to ride on a Friday morning).

Then Eisenhower I met up with a guy I met caddying during the US Girls Junior over the summer and his crew for their Saturday game. We played from a set of tees slightly shorter than they had it set up for the girls and I got my lunch eaten. Started by almost flagging it on one - 16 feet away, but above the hole and of course 3 putted after rolling the first one 6 feet by. The "welcome to Eisenhower home of the 3 putt" calls rang out. Settled in nicely and only 3 putted one more green (4 in total if you count the 2 more I took 3 to get down from the fringe).

Despite being very wide off the tee I still struggled - didn't have my best and was playing with new people so I hit a few poor drives that resulted in punching out and such. Then my short game didn't save me ever. I did birdie the par-5 16th which was a nice memory to take away.

Super fun day - very good course, perfect weather, nice guys - can't ask for more. 

Eisenhower Blue and Silver are such fun courses.  Glad you had a good time!

drn92

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 8:36 AM, 007iron said:

Was down in the city over the weekend and played Homestead Friday and Eisenhower Blue on Saturday. 

Homestead was super fun - I really liked the routing and it played pretty dang firm and fast. Some really fun par 4s - the 9th hole with the two tiered fairway and a pond on the left was really good. The mounding, gum drops and grass bunker all over the place were really cool. Pretty decent price as well ($48 to walk, $68 to ride on a Friday morning).

Then Eisenhower I met up with a guy I met caddying during the US Girls Junior over the summer and his crew for their Saturday game. We played from a set of tees slightly shorter than they had it set up for the girls and I got my lunch eaten. Started by almost flagging it on one - 16 feet away, but above the hole and of course 3 putted after rolling the first one 6 feet by. The "welcome to Eisenhower home of the 3 putt" calls rang out. Settled in nicely and only 3 putted one more green (4 in total if you count the 2 more I took 3 to get down from the fringe).

Despite being very wide off the tee I still struggled - didn't have my best and was playing with new people so I hit a few poor drives that resulted in punching out and such. Then my short game didn't save me ever. I did birdie the par-5 16th which was a nice memory to take away.

Super fun day - very good course, perfect weather, nice guys - can't ask for more. 

Glad you finally got out on Eisenhower's Blue Course.  I played Silver on Friday, Blue on Saturday (10:40am) and Silver again on Sunday.

Perfect fall weather!

-- P.J.

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
Srixon ZX 3W and Cobra RadSpeed Hybrid

:taylormade-small:P790 Irons
Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter
OnCore ELIXR / Srixon Q-Star Divide Golf Ball
Cart-Tek 1500li Remote Cart

PrecisionPro NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado // Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy

Interesting. It sounds like they are going to stop combining 9 hole rounds for handicaps next year and instead generate an 18 hole differential for each 9 hole round based on their stack of data of what your handicap would normally shoot.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists/world-handicap-system-updates-short-courses-expected-scores-usga/

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dancin said:

Interesting. It sounds like they are going to stop combining 9 hole rounds for handicaps next year and instead generate an 18 hole differential for each 9 hole round based on their stack of data of what your handicap would normally shoot.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists/world-handicap-system-updates-short-courses-expected-scores-usga/

Interesting changes. I think I like the inclusion of par 3/short courses but I'm not sure. Wonder if courses will have their par 3s rated now? How long will that take? 

I do like the idea of not combining 9 hole scores, both for the reasons stated in the article and because I feel like it's easier to play well and go lo for 9 holes, harder to do over 18, so I feel like people who play a lot of 9 hole rounds probably have a lower handicap than they should. Which I know, only hurts them, but still it's probably not as accurate a representation.  

I also read somewhere else that if you don't play a full round (say 14 holes and then you have to leave, or the weather gets bad so you have to end early, whatever), then after you put in the 14 holes the app will fill in the rest of the hole scores based on expected scores and will post your 18 hole score.  

On 10/21/2023 at 9:41 AM, Joelness said:

Ironically the best fitters I've been around recently are actually two demo days guys. They are both tournament golfers that I have played with previously. One of them is Sam Marley and is an ex-UNC golfer and one of the best mid-ams in CO. He works for Taylormade.

Sam Marley is a complete stud. He destroyed everyone in our club championship this year, winning by 15 strokes, IIRC. I'm not sure it's fair he plays with us lol. I've also heard great things from a couple guys that have been fit by him. 

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

On 10/21/2023 at 1:15 PM, bobbyclampett!! said:

Is there a way to make an appointment with these guys or do you have to stalk them at a TM or Mizuno fitting day? Love both TM and Mizuno anyway. 

Call South Suburban Golf Course and ask for his Dad, Todd Marley. He's the pro there. He'll get you hooked up with Sam. 

• Thanks 1

Edel E-1

Got nine in today at Collindale.  Beautiful fall day. Course in good shape for fall, although greens shaggy and bumpy, which is to be expected. And- also to be expected- I feel like I’m playing the best I have all season, having figured some things out, and I’m really bummed the season is coming to an end. Ahhhh golf. What an elusive game. 

• Like 4

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

On 11/11/2023 at 9:00 PM, bobbyclampett!! said:

Got nine in today at Collindale.  Beautiful fall day. Course in good shape for fall, although greens shaggy and bumpy, which is to be expected. And- also to be expected- I feel like I’m playing the best I have all season, having figured some things out, and I’m really bummed the season is coming to an end. Ahhhh golf. What an elusive game. 

What an awesome weekend. I got in 36, though we had our last member event on Sunday which was a cross-country par 3. It's pretty fun and there are a lot of shots that we simply never hit otherwise.

This week also looks amazing. If anyone has a day/afternoon off during the week let's get out and play!

• Like 1

Highland Meadows today and the greens were amazing for November.  Fresh cups that were painted and good rolling speed and true.  Recommend.

Normally I would put away my clubs and have to go and search for them in March/April, but going to Spanish/Pebble/Spyglass in May and don't want to hibernate this winter... gonna be some cold rounds.

Getting used to this high loft driver has been fun.  I think that I see so much of the face and want to close it down - been a lot of shots left.  Hit it better today by forcing the face open.  A few more rounds and I might be there.  Of course, at the range I can get it perfect after a few swings of just focusing on it.

Anybody else seen some good greens lately?

• Like 2

It's been really tough for me to get out this fall unfortunately. I think I've only played 9 holes twice since the end of September and one of those was earlier this week which was interesting. It's funny how quickly you can lose touch around the greens when you don't play consistently. All in all though, it was quite a good season. Lots of firsts for me this year - got my first hole-in-one, got my handicap down to the lowest it's been, and carded 5 straight rounds in the 70's.

I feel like I learned a lot about game management, taking more time to assess my shot and conditions to understand how they may impact the outcome. My short game and putting was probably the area my game improved most this season though. Most of the season, I felt quite confident standing over putts, particularly from the 4-8ft range. And I started experimenting with using a PW just off of the green which worked out quite well. I also picked up a Cobra LTDx LS driver midseason, and that thing is great. It's amazing how far technology has come to help with mishits.

Hopefully the weather stays mild this winter so I can get out every so often and not lose my game before the season kicks back off. I always have good intentions to practice in the off-season, but it never really works out like I wanted. My big issue right now is I can't shake this tendinitis I've been fighting this year, and hitting off mats really aggravates it. 

• Like 3

Edel E-1