2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Hogan Apex Edge Pros, standing in the corner

27 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

poking around trying to organize a few things , noticed a set of clubs banded together that I'd kept around for the shafts, Apex 3's.

took a good look at the heads, Apex Edge Pros. for some reason I'd remembered them as Cameos, but whatever.

all dirty, serious face wear on the short irons and soles have lots of wear marks.

this set is 2-E, and they have Brunswick labeled FM shafts that were destined for different irons, based on what I was thinking at the time.

so I dumped vinegar into a bucket, soaked and scrubbed, and here are the results.

8/9 and PW are worn thru the plating in striking area but still have some grooves.

others seem pretty decent.

I've got, weirdly, Edge GS irons in 9,E and SW so this might work out  if I can hit the Pros well.

they have Crossline grips that seem good enough for several rounds.

how many of you play or have played this model and what are your experiences?

thanks in advance.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/fed088af6721e2a6065bf2f6fef696cb9ece8850ed775d74697eaed6d78a91ba/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/fed088af6721e2a6065bf2f6fef696cb9ece8850ed775d74697eaed6d78a91ba/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/0115231957.jpg.8da15d9b5f8034f7117713ac4c5432de.jpg

/cdn-cgi/mirage/fed088af6721e2a6065bf2f6fef696cb9ece8850ed775d74697eaed6d78a91ba/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/fed088af6721e2a6065bf2f6fef696cb9ece8850ed775d74697eaed6d78a91ba/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/0115231958.jpg.908ef4275734139ce91de43da88f7a41.jpg

/cdn-cgi/mirage/fed088af6721e2a6065bf2f6fef696cb9ece8850ed775d74697eaed6d78a91ba/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/fed088af6721e2a6065bf2f6fef696cb9ece8850ed775d74697eaed6d78a91ba/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/0115231958a.jpg.baf3710a9554f62c978d16fc2826cf71.jpg

/cdn-cgi/mirage/fed088af6721e2a6065bf2f6fef696cb9ece8850ed775d74697eaed6d78a91ba/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/fed088af6721e2a6065bf2f6fef696cb9ece8850ed775d74697eaed6d78a91ba/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/0115232000a.jpg.a7d11df910c431b069d519506f5ba0e8.jpg

/cdn-cgi/mirage/fed088af6721e2a6065bf2f6fef696cb9ece8850ed775d74697eaed6d78a91ba/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/fed088af6721e2a6065bf2f6fef696cb9ece8850ed775d74697eaed6d78a91ba/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/0115232001c.jpg.57b46c8ecdcf3e52bc221affb427603c.jpg

Always liked Hogans and drilled over those back in the day, but couldn’t afford them at the time.  Very nice sticks. 

Titleist TSi3 10 Evenflow Riptide MX 60 6.0
Titleist TSi2 15 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
Titleist TS2 19 Tensei CK Blue 70 S
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-P Modus3 Tour 105 S
Callaway Jaws 50, 54, 58 DG Tour 115
Odyssey 2-ball ten tour lined, Toulon Las Vegas

@Poor Mans Ty Webb not sure why you'd take umbrage at a 20 year old set of clubs being in this section...I'm thinking that the '92 Edge Forged GS Ft Worth clubs are a commerative honoring Gene Sheely using the '89 Edge Forged as the model....not sure what other 2000 era Edge you mean, unless it was the Edge Pro or CFT?

Edited by bcstones

1 hour ago, bcstones said:

@Poor Mans Ty Webb not sure why you'd take umbrage at a 20 year old set of clubs being in this section...I'm thinking that the '92 Edge Forged GS Ft Worth clubs are a commerative honoring Gene Sheely using the '89 Edge Forged as the model....not sure what other 2000 era Edge you mean, unless it was the Edge Pro or CFT?

The umbrage comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, simply because I play a 20 year old iron regularly.

To your other comment, in the early 2000s, Hogan had 2 tiers of Edge models and 2 tiers of Apex models. You had:

-Apex Edge: Cutout/hollow cavity, thickest sole, most offset

-Apex Edge Pro: Solid cavity, thinner sole/less offset

-Apex Plus: Smallest cavity, least offset/sole width

-Apex: Traditional Hogan muscle back

All four were forged, although the Apex Edge was not a one piece forging. It was replaced by the Edge CFT in 2004, which I believe had a titanium face instead of a forged steel face, although someone may come along and correct me. 

Here is the 2000s Apex Edge, with a deeper (cut out) cavity compared to the Edge Pro/Apex Plus:

image.jpeg.733e168155d53ed4d2d99e0eb6197bae.jpeg

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Apex Edge: Cutout/hollow cavity, thickest sole, most offset

are those a beast to clean out after playing a messy course ?

I've used many CB clubs, minus the hidden cavity and still, they take a good swipe with a wet towel end of round.

plus, seen too many other player's less well maintained ones with the tell-tale rust marks in the back corners.

when TA 845's became the house brand at one of the big box chains, maybe in the mid/late  2000's, ( I can't remember exactly) , their first incarnation had that feature, behind the garish back logo plate.

I cringed.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Super irons. Imported a set from the States to the UK around 2004 when there was a half decent exchange rate. 8, 9 & E toplines look a bit clunky on the eye at address, but the results were always good - even off a links fairway.

Played them for the best part of 20-years and heads still in great shape. Might swap out the 3 & 4 irons with those from the final 2006 set of Apex blades BH produced when briefly owned by Callaway. Great long irons.

• Like 1

Back in December of 2021 I was window shopping on eBay, and I came across a set of Apex Edge Pros, 5-PW,  for sale for $100. So I went ahead and bought them, and once I got them I took the 7-iron and headed out to my local dog track. The course was empty except for a couple of guys on the first hole, so I went to the 9th about 140 yards from the green and hit a few shots. I was amazed by how well they hit the ball and how good they felt. I played them for all of last season, and they really helped in having a great golf season. They came with Apex shafts in #3, which I think is regular flex, which is what I normally play. The PW is worn right on the sweet spot, but is still playable. The Apex Edge Pros are excellent irons, well worth buying and playing.

• Like 1

I've played both the Apex Plus and the Apex Edge Pros in recent years.  About a season's play with the former prior to a back injury and about half a year (or less) with the latter a couple of years back.  Both were shafted with Apex Edge 3 steel shafts, but I suspect they were different versions.

I got along really well with the Apex+ when I had them.  That was my best year score wise with what even at that time was a very classic set of clubs.  Following the injury, the full weight steel shafts were too much load for my aging body to manage, so I sold the complete set of clubs; woods, wedges and all prior to moving.

A couple of years back I came across a nice set of Apex Edge Pros and thought I might give them a spin to see if I could play them again.  Those days are behind me.  Might have worked with senior flex shafts, but i wasn't about to spend a bunch of money on that notion, so I traded them in on the set of Pings in my signature.  They are much more appropriate for my game now.  I need all the help I can get with launch and spin.

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

1 hour ago, scomac2002 said:

Might have worked with senior flex shafts, but i wasn't about to spend a bunch of money on that notion,

for those of us that rely on clubmakers for these services, costs for reshafting a set can escalate pretty fast.

can make all the difference between revitalizing one set and simply moving on....

I don't live near too many independent shops.  either big box stores or CC.

ex: CC charges $15 to demount a head and another $25 to re-mount.

past summer it cost $55 to swap a shaft from one club into another to complete a set.

even lie/loft adjustments require an appt and fitting fee. I don't begrudge paying anyone for their time and expertise.

one does have to balance the cost vs. practicality.

for nice vintage clubs, or what one might think is a good deal on a set to 'try out', if the shafts/heads aren't in your profile, there's no way to tack on $500 or more

and end up with playable gear without feeling stung.

easier to let them go and re-search for something better.

and before the suggestions, I'm not adding a space and the tools to begin as an amateur builder.

the odd regripping is as far as I go.

• Like 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

17 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

for those of us that rely on clubmakers for these services, costs for reshafting a set can escalate pretty fast.

can make all the difference between revitalizing one set and simply moving on....

I don't live near too many independent shops.  either big box stores or CC.

ex: CC charges $15 to demount a head and another $25 to re-mount.

past summer it cost $55 to swap a shaft from one club into another to complete a set.

I agree, it's out of the question, even for a DIYer if you don't have the shafts you want on hand.  I didn't even bother to regrip the AEP's, just played 'em as is and made my decision.  The whole process turned into an in and out within a few months (like about 6), that had what I deemed to be a reasonable cost for an extended trial.

As for the DIY, I've done my share.  Grips, reshafting on single clubs, adding extensions, even built a belly putter from the ground up.  I don't mind the work, but without a loft and lie machine to build and swing weight a set properly, I'll leave that to someone else.

For me, it has worked out cheaper to buy and sell used clubs until I find one that really works.  Unfortunately it's a slow process...

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The DIY was a lot more palatable when DG shafts were less than $10 each.  Even accounting for inflation, the price is close to double now.  In my case, having shifted to graphite, it's considerably worse.

Even refitting my own sets is a little unsettling on the bank account.  Much less something different that could be interesting.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

19 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

I agree, it's out of the question, even for a DIYer if you don't have the shafts you want on hand.  I didn't even bother to regrip the AEP's, just played 'em as is and made my decision.  The whole process turned into an in and out within a few months (like about 6), that had what I deemed to be a reasonable cost for an extended trial.

As for the DIY, I've done my share.  Grips, reshafting on single clubs, adding extensions, even built a belly putter from the ground up.  I don't mind the work, but without a loft and lie machine to build and swing weight a set properly, I'll leave that to someone else.

For me, it has worked out cheaper to buy and sell used clubs until I find one that really works.  Unfortunately it's a slow process...

I enjoy the scavenger hunt for good playable clubs and love trying everything out. Personally, I would not reshaft a set of clubs, the cost is prohibitive and I would rather look for clubs with the right flex to begin with. I don’t have a lie and loft machine of my own yet, but have access to friends with that capability. I can usually determine the lies by examining the divots and face angles at address. I have a small loft gauge for gauging lofts but can sight them fairly well.

There are a lot of clubs out there and they can be acquired cheaply. I am patient and have a basic idea of what clubs are players and leave the rest for others to buy. Being part of a network of guys is part of the fun and we help each other out. 

Scott, you are always welcome to hook up with us. On Sunday, April 2, we are having our annual trade show at the Golf Hall of Fame in Oakville. we are also at the golf show at the International Centre in Mississauga this weekend. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Hickory4ever said:

I enjoy the scavenger hunt for good playable clubs and love trying everything out. Personally, I would not reshaft a set of clubs, the cost is prohibitive and I would rather look for clubs with the right flex to begin with. I don’t have a lie and loft machine of my own yet, but have access to friends with that capability. I can usually determine the lies by examining the divots and face angles at address. I have a small loft gauge for gauging lofts but can sight them fairly well.

There are a lot of clubs out there and they can be acquired cheaply. I am patient and have a basic idea of what clubs are players and leave the rest for others to buy. Being part of a network of guys is part of the fun and we help each other out. 

Scott, you are always welcome to hook up with us. On Sunday, April 2, we are having our annual trade show at the Golf Hall of Fame in Oakville. we are also at the golf show at the International Centre in Mississauga this weekend. 

Do you have more info on the annual trade show in Oakville and the Golf Show in Mississauga? Any way to keep tabs on these events in the area in the future? Thanks!

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

9 minutes ago, Binson said:

Do you have more info on the annual trade show in Oakville and the Golf Show in Mississauga? Any way to keep tabs on these events in the area in the future? Thanks!

They will be on our website (ghsc.ca). Feel free to PM me anytime as well. I have been on the board for 3 years and am one of the organizers. Where are you located?

On April 2, the event is from 10:00am to 2:00pm. It gets slow near the end so 10:00 to noon is probably best. If your around, I would enjoy meeting you.

Edited by Hickory4ever
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Hickory4ever said:

They will be on our website (ghsc.ca). Feel free to PM me anytime as well. I have been on the board for 3 years and am one of the organizers. Where are you located?

Appreciate the heads up, I'm east of Toronto but might be able to make it out to Sauga and Oakville.

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up a set of the Apex Edge irons, 3-SW, from a Canadian online retailer for what I feel was a great price for a 9 piece set of forged irons. I've been looking to get into a more classic style forged cavity back, while still offering some help, and have always loved Hogans. (dad played 84 Apex PCs my whole childhood) 

Only thing is they are shafted with the stock graphite Apex 3 shafts, so I pretty sure I'm going to re-shaft. I'll likely only be bagging the 4-pw, so trying to source a decent set of steel shafts without breaking the bank. I went this route because I just cant justify spending 800-1000 on a used set of irons.... I think I will give those stock shafts a try first though before diving in too deep, I'm a lower speed played whos fairly smooth through my swing so who knows maybe they wont be too bad. 

These irons take a standard .355 tapered shaft? And does anyone know the weight of these stock graphite Apex Edge 3 flex shafts? Thanks guys, cant wait to get them... I'll post a pic when they arrive!

• Like 1

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

29 minutes ago, kmay__ said:

These irons take a standard .355 tapered shaft? And does anyone know the weight of these stock graphite Apex Edge 3 flex shafts?

I think there are two versions of the graphite Apex shaft, but if yours is the lightweight shaft, it's .355 and 75 grams.

I have no idea if the heads built for graphite are the same weight as the heads built for steel.  Might just be wary of that and check once you pull the graphite shafts out of there.  Also bear in mind that the 2000s era Apex Edge (rather than the Edge Pro) is a lower COG, higher launching iron.

If you can get your hands on a set of Apex steel shafts via eBay, you might really like those.  They are 115 grams and very smooth with an active tip.  I always launched my irons very high with the Apex shaft.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

I think there are two versions of the graphite Apex shaft, but if yours is the lightweight shaft, it's .355 and 75 grams.

I have no idea if the heads built for graphite are the same weight as the heads built for steel.  Might just be wary of that and check once you pull the graphite shafts out of there.  Also bear in mind that the 2000s era Apex Edge (rather than the Edge Pro) is a lower COG, higher launching iron.

If you can get your hands on a set of Apex steel shafts via eBay, you might really like those.  They are 115 grams and very smooth with an active tip.  I always launched my irons very high with the Apex shaft.

Thanks for the info, they do say lightweight on the shaft. 75 is pretty light, but my current set has 90 gram KBS so not too crazy different. I'm a naturally lower flight player who doesn't create a ton of spin... But I'm playing big cast GI irons, so I know they don't generate a ton of spin. I was able to borrow my dads current set of Wilson FG tour v4 irons, and I noticed an increase of height and spin on my shots, so I'm hoping the Hogans might perform more like that than my current set.

I will have to give these stock shafts a fair try and decide from there what route to go. I may have to try and find a cheaper set of Hogan blades on marketplace and yank the shafts from them if I want to give the steel Apex shafts a try.... I do struggle with a high handle delivery at times and weak toe strikes as a result, and I've been curious if a heavier shaft may help to prevent that slightly. 

Interesting about the head weights... I didn't even think about the heads potentially being lighter due to being a set assembled with the graphite shafts... I hope the heads are standard....

Thanks again for the info

3 hours ago, kmay__ said:

Interesting about the head weights... I didn't even think about the heads potentially being lighter due to being a set assembled with the graphite shafts... I hope the heads are standard....

If they're different at all, it's more likely the heads will be heavier due to being assembled with graphite.  Some companies did that.  Others just increased the length by a half inch (and used the same weight clubheads), to make up for the swingweight difference with the lighter shafts.

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

6 hours ago, kmay__ said:

I just picked up a set of the Apex Edge irons, 3-SW, from a Canadian online retailer for what I feel was a great price for a 9 piece set of forged irons. I've been looking to get into a more classic style forged cavity back, while still offering some help, and have always loved Hogans. (dad played 84 Apex PCs my whole childhood) 

Only thing is they are shafted with the stock graphite Apex 3 shafts, so I pretty sure I'm going to re-shaft. I'll likely only be bagging the 4-pw, so trying to source a decent set of steel shafts without breaking the bank. I went this route because I just cant justify spending 800-1000 on a used set of irons.... I think I will give those stock shafts a try first though before diving in too deep, I'm a lower speed played whos fairly smooth through my swing so who knows maybe they wont be too bad. 

These irons take a standard .355 tapered shaft? And does anyone know the weight of these stock graphite Apex Edge 3 flex shafts? Thanks guys, cant wait to get them... I'll post a pic when they arrive!

If you’re a lower speed swinger I might consider giving the graphites you have a go. The Hogan graphite was a high quality shaft at the time.

• Like 1

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

52 minutes ago, Kirasdad said:

If you’re a lower speed swinger I might consider giving the graphites you have a go. The Hogan graphite was a high quality shaft at the time.

I'm going to give them a try for sure, I had a set of cobra irons a bunch of years ago that had graphite shafts and I got along with them quite well. 

I played a set of these with S300 shafts for half a season in 2019. As much as I wanted to like them I just didn't get along with them well, amd when the opportunity for a set of 2003 Apex Blades appeared I made the switch.

That's not to say I didn't have good memories with them; on the 9th on the Himalayas course at Prince's (next to Royal St George's) I hit a fantastic 210 yard 4 iron with about 5 yards of draw that landed just short and rolled on to 15 feet, setting up a closing par. The next day at Royal St. George's on the 8th, I hit a career-best 5 iron from a grassy swale to 5 feet enabling a par save.

My troubles with them lay mostly with the shorter irons, which whose weight and soles seemed too unrefined for work around the greens; I could not play the equalizer to save my life. I got along with the blades much better, sold the AEP's, and that was that.

The only thing I have wondered is if the FTX would have served me better as a dedicated combo concept. The AEP's are much bulkier than the blades and do not blend well.

5 minutes ago, James the Hogan Fan said:

The only thing I have wondered is if the FTX would have served me better as a dedicated combo concept. The AEP's are much bulkier than the blades and do not blend well.

The FTX is basically a combo of the Apex Plus and the Apex Blade.  If the Apex blade is working for you, then groovy, but the Apex Plus might be the leaner cavity back that you're looking for to blend with the AEP.  I've thought about doing this before, but I get along with the shorter AEP irons (I don't lean on them too much around the greens and I play in commonly soft conditions).  Those AEP are just so solid in the long and mid irons.

I think a lot about what Srixon is doing with irons today.  Their ZX4, 5, 7 and Z-forged line is very similar to what Hogan did in the early 2000s with the Edge, Edge Pro, Apex Plus, and Apex lines.  The cavity back models are super blendable.

Well they made it to my house, hopefully still there when I get home from work! 

Screenshot_20230224_123612_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3