Are the newer Hoofer's lesser quality? Same for TM and Titleist?

bmckenney

I am looking to get a quality stand bag that can carry but mostly carts.  Read a lot of threads here going back to summer 2022 timeframe and there is a recurring theme that the big three have been in decline quality wise.  Read a lot of comments about how the quality is just not as good as it used to be.  Even the Hoofer.  Is that true? I brought home a 2022 TM Flextech Crossover and it is not that well built, material quality is low and I'll be returning it.  Was thinking of checking out a Hoofer next.  I know it might not be as high quality as a Vessel but is the recent Hoofer's really on the decline quality wise?

Hoofers are still the best “OEM” bag IMO and extremely durable.  The previous TM Flextechs were very cheaply made, I tried (and sold) 3 of them.  I really wanted to like the Flextechs because I really like the straps and the pocket layout, but the quality was severely lacking.  I cannot speak for the most current version of them (2023) however.  

• Like 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus TR Blue 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping G430 4H, Ventus HB Blue 9X

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

Ping Hoofer Lite

I think it’s always been the case that quality can vary wildly in an OEM’s range depending on which supplier made which bag, and even which batch they came from. 

I’ve been looking for the least gaudy Vessel-made OEM bag, as they seem to be more competitively priced due to OEM discounting. 

I’ve always been a fan of the Hoofer, but from reports on here it seems like the grip tangling is still an issue. There will be trade-offs with every bag though 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

3 hours ago, Wayside said:

I think it’s always been the case that quality can vary wildly in an OEM’s range depending on which supplier made which bag, and even which batch they came from. 

I’ve been looking for the least gaudy Vessel-made OEM bag, as they seem to be more competitively priced due to OEM discounting. 

I’ve always been a fan of the Hoofer, but from reports on here it seems like the grip tangling is still an issue. There will be trade-offs with every bag though 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

What OEM's collaborated with Vessel recently?  I know Taylor Made and Cobra did.  Any others?

7 hours ago, bmckenney said:

What OEM's collaborated with Vessel recently?  I know Taylor Made and Cobra did.  Any others?

Not sure about recently, but they made bags for PXG and (although maybe a stretch to call them OEMs) Miura and G Fore. 

It’s particularly the Cobra one I’ve seen heavily discounted. Just wish it wasn’t so loud. I’m hankering after a set of King CBs so that might make it a bit more acceptable. 

2 hours ago, Wayside said:

Not sure about recently, but they made bags for PXG and (although maybe a stretch to call them OEMs) Miura and G Fore. 

It’s particularly the Cobra one I’ve seen heavily discounted. Just wish it wasn’t so loud. I’m hankering after a set of King CBs so that might make it a bit more acceptable. 

I have PXG woods and a couple of hybrids and checked out their latest bags, which I dont believe are Vessel now, but they sucked looks wise.  

I went to a Canadian chain store today and had a look at some Vessel stand bags.  No Players.  But VLS and VLX.  I was not impressed.  The synthetic leather was too Gucci and too try-hard (especially the white) for me and the DXR was not Gucci enough.  And those model bags are too small for what I want.  especially the synth leather because the rain hood is thick and takes up valuable space in an already small bag.  and i did not get the vibe they were all that amazing materials and build wise. So I walked out with a nice simple black and white Ping Hoofer on sale for Cdn $230.  Half the prices of the Vessels.  I would say I made out ok.  And as far as the quality goes, it felt and looked better than the Flextech I returned.  I'll be interested to see how it holds up after after 30-50 rounds.  Agree with you on the Cobra X Vessel bags.  Over stimulating in the looks department.

Edited by bmckenney
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, bmckenney said:

I have PXG woods and a couple of hybrids and checked out their latest bags, which I dont believe are Vessel now, but they sucked looks wise.  

I went to a Canadian chain store today and had a look at some Vessel stand bags.  No Players.  But VLS and VLX.  I was not impressed.  The synthetic leather was too Gucci and too try-hard (especially the white) for me and the DXR was not Gucci enough.  And those model bags are too small for what I want.  especially the synth leather because the rain hood is thick and takes up valuable space in an already small bag.  and i did not get the vibe they were all that amazing materials and build wise. So I walked out with a nice simple black and white Ping Hoofer on sale for Cdn $230.  Half the prices of the Vessels.  I would say I made out ok.  And as far as the quality goes, it felt and looked better than the Flextech I returned.  I'll be interested to see how it holds up after after 30-50 rounds.  Agree with you on the Cobra X Vessel bags.  Over stimulating in the looks department.

Oh, interesting. 

Was it the PXG Carry bag? I kinda liked it, but can’t really get to a stockist to see it.

I’m not keen on the smaller Vessels, living where I do means waterproofs are a must so I’d need a Player. But they’re so pricy, when as you say, you can get a Hoofer and a spare. 

But the waterproofs thing means that Hoofers can’t get a bit tangly, especially with midsize grips. 

Been waiting to see this year’s Titleist stuff as I’ve heard it’s nice. New Players 5 I think? 

Edited by Wayside

Like the looks of the new retro bags with leatherette instead of nylon.  But that adds weight, so they seem to be making them smaller. I keep going back to Sun Mountain 4.5 with 4 way top.  No tangle, enough pockets for gear, and very durable.   My Titleist 4 Players is lighter, but smaller main pocket limits the rain suit or extra jacket, etc.  As previously stated by others, every bag has compromises.

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 10 Evenflow Riptide MX 60 6.0
Titleist TSi2 15 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
Titleist TS2 19 Tensei CK Blue 70 S
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-P Modus3 Tour 105 S
Callaway Jaws 50, 54, 58 DG Tour 115
Odyssey 2-ball ten tour lined, Toulon Las Vegas

2 hours ago, CyFan said:

Like the looks of the new retro bags with leatherette instead of nylon.  But that adds weight, so they seem to be making them smaller. I keep going back to Sun Mountain 4.5 with 4 way top.  No tangle, enough pockets for gear, and very durable.   My Titleist 4 Players is lighter, but smaller main pocket limits the rain suit or extra jacket, etc.  As previously stated by others, every bag has compromises.

Just looked the 4.5 up. Looks good. Is the middle divider section a bit oddly shaped, kinda wide? Maybe it’s just the pic the pro shop put up. 

3 hours ago, CyFan said:

Titleist 4 Players is lighter, but smaller main pocket limits the rain suit or extra jacket, etc.

agreed. my StaDry felt like a squeeze for the jacket/sweater.

picked up a 2022 TM FlexTech Lite yesterday. saw they use a normal sized rain hood. like that.  the Titleist superman cape takes up way too much storage space in a slim bag.

I'd been leaving mine attached to the top but rolled and fastened to make room in the long pocket.

TM seems light when loaded up.

straps took a few minutes to adjust but seem user-friendly. appears they changed the crossover connection for 2023 so this one has the smaller plastic slider.

hoisted it on several times with no issues.

the garment sleeve is deeper than the Players4. already checked by stuffing with a midweight Large pullover. room to spare.

the upper valuables pocket could (wish) be a little roomier but it's not a deal breaker.

beverage pocket is roomy - I'm a thermal mug person. very pleased.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

I just bought and immediately returned a Titleist Hybrid 5.  Love the color, straps felt good but the material could not have felt any cheaper.  By contrast the Ping Pioneer I just bought (for less than the Titleist!) is friggin sweet as heck with really nice material throughout.  Looked at a Hoofer Lite and it too felt like a much nicer material than the Titleist.  

• Like 1

I still really like my Hoofer Lite. If I could only have one all-around bag, it'd be the Hoofer Lite. 

Great for carrying 12-14 clubs in all warm or cold weather. Club tangle becomes a non-issue once you know to retrieve/insert clubs with the bag vertical rather than legs deployed.

Works on a Cart / Pushcart.  Although I mostly walk and carry.  A cart strap sleeve also helps a lot when it comes to rash.

• Like 3

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

• 2 months later...

Titleist makes bags that sell for $289, yet don’t even accommodate a strap on a cart.

Wanted one of these, but can’t justify this simple issue.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

On 3/2/2023 at 9:16 PM, Binson said:

I still really like my Hoofer Lite. If I could only have one all-around bag, it'd be the Hoofer Lite. 

Great for carrying 12-14 clubs in all warm or cold weather. Club tangle becomes a non-issue once you know to retrieve/insert clubs with the bag vertical rather than legs deployed.

Works on a Cart / Pushcart.  Although I mostly walk and carry.  A cart strap sleeve also helps a lot when it comes to rash.

I say you go either Hoofer or Craz E Lite. You give up a-lot of functionality in the Hoofer lite over the Hoofer for just 0.5 lbs. all the while, the Craz e lite saves 2 pounds and is just as functional as the Hoofer lite. 

The VLS DXR needs to be mentioned here as well…. But I can wait until the new vessel stand mechanism makes its way into the Vessel VLS line up… the elimination of club tangle will be huge…. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

The VLS DXR needs to be mentioned here as well…. But I can wait until the new vessel stand mechanism makes its way into the Vessel VLS line up… the elimination of club tangle will be huge…. 

Ah, forgive my ignorance, but is there a new mechanism coming to the whole range, or is it already in the Player?

Just walking around in a golf store browsing, there seem to be some fairly crap golf bags on the market today along with some pretty well made ones. As I recall, it has always been that way. I do not thing there was any Golden Age of golf bag quality, at least not in the 30 years I've been around golf. 

There are however, a wider range of sizes, features, styles and materials than I recall from say 20-30 years ago.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

32 minutes ago, North Butte said:

Just walking around in a golf store browsing, there seem to be some fairly crap golf bags on the market today along with some pretty well made ones. As I recall, it has always been that way. I do not thing there was any Golden Age of golf bag quality, at least not in the 30 years I've been around golf. 

There are however, a wider range of sizes, features, styles and materials than I recall from say 20-30 years ago.

I’d say the golden age was about 20-25 years ago, shortly after the advent of the double strap in retail bags. 

Before then there had been a focus on lighter bags, but with the double strap they were less focussed on weight. There were some great bags from Izzo, Sun Mountain, the original Ogio/Callaway stuff, first Hoofer and there was a particular Mizuno bag, I can’t remember what it was called, which absolutely flew off the shelves. 

Seems again recently that some quality has been sacrificed for lightness. A lot of the bags I look at have poorly retracting legs or iffy fabrics. 

On 5/6/2023 at 3:46 AM, T_Golf_23 said:

I say you go either Hoofer or Craz E Lite. You give up a-lot of functionality in the Hoofer lite over the Hoofer for just 0.5 lbs. all the while, the Craz e lite saves 2 pounds and is just as functional as the Hoofer lite. 

I have a Hoofer (2022) as well and it's just not the same carrying experience as the Hoofer Lite for me.  I don't quite like how it sits on my back as much in comparison.  The "tube" of the bag is a different shape.  But, that's personal preference as well. 

It is a better cart bag than the Hoofer Lite, but I only cart like 1% of my rounds. 

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)