2023 Solheim Cup (Sep 22-24)

18majors

21 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

The pairings on both teams will be very interesting.

I wonder whether Leona Maguire misses Mel Reid; they won all three of their team matches in 2021.

By the way, Kent Paisley ranked all 24 players in his article:

All 24 players competing in the 2023 Solheim Cup, ranked

1694956762062.jpeg

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 2

Should we just rename this the official Solheim Cup thread?  Or start a new one?

Some screengrabs from IG stories attached.  Kang's main club bag didn't arrive, but her Scotty Cameron case (pink case) did.  And the Euro bags look awesome.

kang1.jpg

bags1.jpg

Edited by subrew
  • Haha 2

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

• 18majors changed the title to 2023 Solheim Cup (Sep 22-24)
9 hours ago, 18majors said:

By the way, Kent Paisley ranked all 24 players in his article:

All 24 players competing in the 2023 Solheim Cup, ranked

I didn't even have to click the link to know who he ranked DFL.  But I did, just to get confirmation. 

And now I want her to get VINDICATION.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 18majors said:

I wonder whether Leona Maguire misses Mel Reid; they won all three of their team matches in 2021.

I doubt it - whilst 'only' being a rookie, Leona was on a heater and bar a couple of memorable shot contributions, carried Mel for the main. Not to mention Mel's form has been nothing special since the last Solheim. She has said though how much Mel and her games complemented each other, particularly important in Foursomes.

She's a very experienced team golfer having played so much amateur team golf (Curtis cups, Vagliano, Duke, Junior Ryder and Solheims etc), Suzanne could pair her with anyone really, but I would like to see her with one of the longer hitters like Maddy, esp in Foursomes. She could be used also as one of the more experienced players and pair her with a rookie like Linn or Maja.

Suzanne is her favourite all-time female golfer so she'll be sooo determined to play well for her; I think they played together in a pro event in Ireland when Leona was 12 yo.

Here's some insight from an interview a few days ago:

image.png.fca9cf01f940b2cdbe1a6e7683ed8a7c.png

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/communication-is-key-there-are-no-stupid-questions-leona-maguire-on-the-solheim-cup/ar-AA1gLNeU

• Like 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Double post

Edited by Rapidcat

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

2 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

I've only just realised the nod to Moorish/ Islamic architecture, in this week's Solheim Cup merchandise/ event logo palette. Interesting & respectful to Malaga's moorish history.

image.png.4f1e16e6591c5daf9d7e9fa24d092a20.pngimage.png.da116e1f6e1da38a82016e64aa24b2a0.png

image.png.c86169a10f6ab221007da5d53e23f230.png

Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition | Monty python, Spanish inquisition,  Monty python flying circus

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JungleJimbo said:

Why is "Nessie" on the base of this Euro's golf bag ... Gemma Dryburgh perhaps?

Nessie was on the 2021 Solheim bags, too - apparently to do with Catriona Matthew (fellow Scot).

Maybe they'll continue it when they have a Scot on the team or maybe a nod to the origins of golf.

Edited by Rapidcat
Spelling
  • Like 1

Keely Levins is on point on her assessment of Rose Zhang:

Players to watch, handling pressure, winning formulas and more: Our writers break down all things Solheim Cup

Keely Levins:

"All of the rookies are LPGA winners, so it feels like just about any of them could have a fantastic week. But I think Rose Zhang will be one to score the most points. She has proven herself in team play, going 7-0-2 in her two Curtis Cup appearances, and has a steady, confident demeanor that should carry her well through the week. She also has that intangible star quality and hasn’t done anything huge since winning her pro debut back in June. It feels like she’s due for some fireworks, and they could go off in Spain. —K.L."

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

Keely Levins is on point on her assessment of Rose Zhang:

Players to watch, handling pressure, winning formulas and more: Our writers break down all things Solheim Cup

Keely Levins:

"All of the rookies are LPGA winners, so it feels like just about any of them could have a fantastic week. But I think Rose Zhang will be one to score the most points. She has proven herself in team play, going 7-0-2 in her two Curtis Cup appearances, and has a steady, confident demeanor that should carry her well through the week. She also has that intangible star quality and hasn’t done anything huge since winning her pro debut back in June. It feels like she’s due for some fireworks, and they could go off in Spain. —K.L."

Or she is just making sure she maintains access by kissing Zhang's butt.  "proven herself in team play", and then goes on to use Curtis cup.  Please.  What an insult to the European women to think playing against essentially age group ams is anywhere close to facing hardened professionals.

Amazing how the newest bright shiny thing makes everyone forget all the women who did more as professionals before they reached Zhang's age.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lobby said:

I see all these people strategizing about team matchups and other stuff, and it all flies over my head. 

I often wonder if this is all hype to get eyeballs 

Me?  They’re all top pros. Roll the dice and pair them up randomly 

Quit yakking and start playing golf

That or justify their own jobs.  

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 1:40 AM, subrew said:

Should we just rename this the official Solheim Cup thread?  Or start a new one?

Some screengrabs from IG stories attached.  Kang's main club bag didn't arrive, but her Scotty Cameron case (pink case) did.  And the Euro bags look awesome.

kang1.jpg

On 9/19/2023 at 5:14 AM, wolfcreek said:

Update on DK 🤔

dkclubs.jpg

Has Danielle Kang been reunited with her clubs yet? ESPN mentioned that Ping has provided a temporary set! (then Titleist subsequently followed!) 

https://www.espn.co.uk/golf/story/_/id/38441675/as-solheim-cup-nears-kang-awaiting-clubs-amid-luggage-mix-up

Extract/Quote:

Speaking to reporters Tuesday at Finca Cortesin, the venue for this year's U.S. vs. Europe showdown, Kang confirmed her clubs had not reached her yet -- except for one.

"I do travel with my putter separately, yes, in a rifle case," Kang explained, "because my putter is a different model, so we don't have the bending machine for it, and it bends a lot during travel, so I put it in a separate case to travel with because I don't have the means to get my putter checked every week."

So Kang at least could hang out on the putting green while her American teammates scouted the course. Ping then came through Tuesday and provided Kang with a temporary set of clubs.

Kang said Titleist, one of her sponsors, was also lending a hand by making a backup set.

...Edit: DK has been reunited with her golf bags 

Edited by JungleJimbo

Some general info about the physical test the players will be facing:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/66858453

image.png.3a760c50f9ed93c567d8e368f36534bf.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, khalespace said:

So no way to watch in the US without the Golf Channel? Is Skysports streaming on YouTube? I can use VPN to watch it if they do.

Dunno for sure. 

Have you googled/ checked Sky Sports Golf UK Youtube channel (need to set VPN to 'UK' beforehand)

https://www.youtube.com/@SkySportsGolf/streams 

Refer screenshot ... I see "Solheim Cup opening ceremony" listed ... but no other upcoming livestreams w.r.t. Solheim Cup (yet).

image.png.7e3af46f66ae0bdb50a5315f1acdfd45.png

• Like 1

Any Euro experts here? 

I'm guessing the tall lady on far right (standing next to Laura Davies) = Caroline Martens, one of Team Europe's assistant captains? ( ... seen hugging Gemma Dryburgh upon her arrival at Finca Sortesin in recent video).

Edited by JungleJimbo