2023 Solheim Cup (Sep 22-24)

18majors

7 hours ago, Jonnyuk74 said:

Hmmm not sure, your pretty much playing 10 as I don't see Lexi or Danniele Kang playing at all until singles. Nelly is not playing great, and the likes of kupcho, knight, Corpuz and Ewing aren't going to worry the top end of the euro side in matchplay.  Even Rose is a total unknown in this situation so can't be relied upon. But hey, maybe I'm euro and stirring the pot a little bit I do see us winning with daylight this time and on our soil.

Nothing wrong with a little friendly banter.  I do think it will be close like the last edition, the European team is better than 2021 as well. Id probably only use DK + Lexi in 4 balls. I'm confident in Ewing, one of her LPGA wins is match play, altho her Solheim W/L stinks.  I'm only worried abt Leona and Celine, maybe Grant, the rest of the team can be volitaile. We may need to send O'Toole as special OPs to dismantle the Euro team from within. Rose has a lot of team experience, so the transition should fit like a glove. 

So many folks have angst about the US team because so many are young, and don’t have hero status. 

Fact is these young ladies have played really well this year. Sure, they haven’t been tested in the Solheim cup, but they’re certainly skilled enough. 

It should be interesting   More interesting than the Ryder Cup, I’d say

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lobby said:

So many folks have angst about the US team because so many are young, and don’t have hero status. 

Fact is these young ladies have played really well this year. Sure, they haven’t been tested in the Solheim cup, but they’re certainly skilled enough. 

It should be interesting   More interesting than the Ryder Cup, I’d say

agreed. It’s the “veterans” (Lexi, DK, Ally Ewing)) that concern me. 

• Like 1

Good points made, Celine, Leona and Georgia will be the mainstays for us, as much as I rate LG, this is unknown and if she is paired with Stark that could go either way imo.  These things are never runaways and let's hope it's close as it can be, has my interest far more than the Ryder cup this year that's for sure!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jonnyuk74 said:

Good points made, Celine, Leona and Georgia will be the mainstays for us, as much as I rate LG, this is unknown and if she is paired with Stark that could go either way imo.  These things are never runaways and let's hope it's close as it can be, has my interest far more than the Ryder cup this year that's for sure!

Yes I'm disappointed in the US Ryder cup selections, looks like a popularity contest vs rewarding good play. The Euro team is much more likeable now sans Sergio and Poulter. 

I'm 100 pct happy with Stacy's picks for Solheim although they were relatively more straight forward. 

36 minutes ago, woahnelly said:

Yes I'm disappointed in the US Ryder cup selections, looks like a popularity contest vs rewarding good play. The Euro team is much more likeable now sans Sergio and Poulter. 

I'm 100 pct happy with Stacy's picks for Solheim although they were relatively more straight forward. 

Who would you have picked as euro wildcards out of interest? I feel shadoff should be there.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 3:06 PM, ducky50 said:

Why in the world would the LPGA have a soccer star reveal the pickings.  You mean to tell me they couldn't have used a former Solheim Captain announce them.  

Found the answer to this , each member had a different sports star introduce them to the team 

Nick Saban announced Cheyenne Knight

Mia Hamm announced Lexi 

The MIZ announced Angel Yin

Edited by woahnelly
  • Like 1

That's really cheesy....🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Ping i230 4 - UW (pwrspc)| Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 R

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 56*/mid, 60*/low| Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Wedge
Odyssey AI-ONE #7 CH
Srixon Z Star

Pretzel.....LMAO!! 🤣

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Ping i230 4 - UW (pwrspc)| Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 R

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 56*/mid, 60*/low| Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Wedge
Odyssey AI-ONE #7 CH
Srixon Z Star

4 hours ago, Jonnyuk74 said:

Who would you have picked as euro wildcards out of interest? I feel shadoff should be there.

They aren't exactly superstar status, but I would have picked Klara Spilkova, Olivia Cowan or Ana Trivino, maybe even Esther Henseleit. 

I understand Suzann went with experience, she feels these gals give her the best shot at winning. 

I go with those who have been playing better currently. All 4 I mentioned are ranked higher on the LET and in Rolex Rankings than Hedwall. 

You can't gain experience if you're not given the chance to gain it in the first place. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, woahnelly said:

Pretzel and Angela are good picks ... But gulbis ? Is the team going to bond over getting makeovers? 

They will use Gulbis for swing instruction.

"Just do it like this, girls".

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

9 hours ago, kmbean said:

Ryann needs to dramatically break up with Georgia the night before the start of the matches.

🇺🇸

I kid, I kid.

That can work.

Then dramatically reconcile after the event.

Could make a streaming series.

• Haha 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

10 hours ago, Jonnyuk74 said:

Yeah sags bombs it. Hmm, do we think Ryan will be there then supporting Georgia? Be surprised if she wasn't.. 🤔😂

If Suzanne wants to pair a top player in this format with someone not so much (at least yet) with an eye to their game attributes, I predict that Leona and Sags will be paired, they hang out socially and they have complimentary games incl Sags' bombing off the tee and Leona's putting. Leona also a little more steady in decision-making and emotionally on course I would say.

Similar principles with an EKP/Leona pairing.

We know that Georgia/Leona also pair well together from the last Solheim (and they played on a few amateur teams together) but this time maybe a waste pairing them.

12 hours ago, kmbean said:

Ryann needs to dramatically break up with Georgia the night before the start of the matches.

🇺🇸

I kid, I kid.

Womens hockey, USWNT and Canada Womens Hockey have several players married to eachother, last touranment it was 3 couples married and i believe two dating. Theres always an article that comes out during the olympics about it.

Edited by Tasals

10 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

They aren't exactly superstar status, but I would have picked Klara Spilkova, Olivia Cowan or Ana Trivino, maybe even Esther Henseleit. 

I understand Suzann went with experience, she feels these gals give her the best shot at winning. 

I go with those who have been playing better currently. All 4 I mentioned are ranked higher on the LET and in Rolex Rankings than Hedwall. 

You can't gain experience if you're not given the chance to gain it in the first place.

Think I may have gone Cowan, but you know Hedwall will give 200 percent so can see her thinking. I think Grant/stark will be good in fourballs but in foursomes I'd probably give grant a Celine or Leona to level out the partnership and a solid back up to lean on.

• Like 1

I heard on the Women's Irish Open coverage yesterday that Caroline Hedwall has been selected to partner Anna Nordquist in the main, and possibly Linn Grant if the expected Grant/Stark pairing is failing early.

Ok, the Nordquist/Hedwall pairing is positive at 3-2-0 in Solheim record but does include a 7 & 5 loss to Ally Ewing(McDonald)/Angel Yin.

If the commentators 'know' something fair enough, if they're just speculating they are over-blowing it IMO.

Watching the Women's Irish Open, I can see why Klara Spilkova wasn't a Captain's pick - she's too short off the tee - 15 yards BEHIND Leona whose only a 250 yard driver!

She's playing with Leona so it's easy to see.

Edited by Rapidcat
  • Like 1

Many on here will know that I am a Leona fan and follower.

She's going through a putting funk currently, not terrible but below her elite standards of some years.

She's got a few weeks to sort it out but if not she won't have the impact that she did in the last Solheim - Finca plays long (caveat - depends on course set-up) so the rest of her game isn't suited.

Wish it wasn't but there it is - she is struggling a little vs the leaders on a longer-playing course in Ireland this week.

No doubt she will fight hard no matter and still make a positive contribution. I guess she simply has to beat her opponent(s) so anything is possible in matchplay and she is a good matchplayer.

Edited by Rapidcat

• 18majors changed the title to 2023 Solheim Cup (Sep 22-24)