2024 Barracuda Championship WITB & Equipment Photos ×

Working to put it all together

The last 3 or so months have been focused on earlier lead side pressure....over exaggerated lead side pressure followed by a falling away from the target feeling as soon as my arms started down. This was all intended to rid myself of a lateral slide that complicated things. 

I lost track of the lowering needed to really trap the ball well. So I started to add that back in and add in a bit more trail side pressure from p1 to p3-ish.

It's coming together. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kuuuch said:

What else do you see you’d want to work on?

Just have to keep working to get into the trail side early and back to the lead side very quickly. The face on video was early in my session. I wasn't getting into the lead side early enough. You can see a bit more lateral movement than I want. I was really working on getting off my lead side early and then back onto it...but I was late getting back to lead side. 

In the down the line video I started to get the feel right. Face on video, too much trail foot pressure too late in backswing. Down the line video I felt I got to the trail side quickly, then as I went from p3 to the top I really lowered by pressing hard into both feet while my center started to move to my lead side. What I felt was the immediate transfer of weight and pressure back to my lead side. 

So I just have to keep working on the lowering move at p3. That move keeps me from raising up as the backswing completes. I can then just stay down while I fire everything through. 

Thr last 2 weeks or so, I was getting taller as the backswing completed and never getting back down. Combine that with my feeling of falling away from the target as quickly as possible in transition and you get thinned shots and mishits.

I'm close....really close. 

• Like 1

Is that a 9i?

First thing I'd have you do is narrow your stance, stand taller, and move closer to the ball.

You look like a long drive guy swinging a 48'' driver and it's going to be impossible for you to properly stay behind the ball and come from the inside because you will simply whiff it. You have to lunge and extend just to reach the ball. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

Is that a 9i?

First thing I'd have you do is narrow your stance, stand taller, and move closer to the ball.

You look like a long drive guy swinging a 48'' driver and it's going to be impossible for you to properly stay behind the ball and come from the inside because you will simply whiff it. You have to lunge and extend just to reach the ball. 

Not sure how serious to take your post simply because you viewed my swing and used "whiff it" in your reply.

13 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Not sure how serious to take your post simply because you viewed my swing and used "whiff it" in your reply.

With respect you will whiff it from that setup if you try to come from the inside without extending out to the ball. Look at your hand path. It's out and across from the top because it's the only way you can reach the ball. This is also why you struggle to rotate and slide instead. Stance is simply too wide and you are too far from the ball. 

12 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

With respect you will whiff it from that setup if you try to come from the inside without extending out to the ball. Look at your hand path. It's out and across from the top because it's the only way you can reach the ball. This is also why you struggle to rotate and slide instead. Stance is simply too wide and you are too far from the ball. 

I'm not trying to change path. My path control is pretty tight. 

I struggled to rotate because

1. I stayed loaded on my trail side well into the downswing. 

2. Mobility issues that anyone who sits in a chair 8+ hours a day for work will have.

My lateral move has been a part of my swing since I started playing 30+ years ago. I just managed it well. Now, I'm resolving it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tthomasgolfer605 said:

So, you're trying to get to the trail side early, then to the lead side very quickly and fall away from the target in one second? Good luck.

Yep.

It's there. I can feel the difference in my feet. The face on video was early in my session and I was late getting to the lead side. As my "range" session progressed, I started to feel the move and I was hitting it really well. It's all moves I've done before...

1. Trail side pressure - my swing forever

2. Earlier lead side pressure - over exaggeration move the last 2-3 months

3. fall away from target early in downswing - last 2-3 months

4. downward motion from p3 through impact - various points in time last year.

2 and 3 have been done in a vacuum almost. I tried to not worry about anything else. I did a drill to exaggerate those feelings and I saw significant improvement in where my body was at impact.  I tried to add in my "chest down" drill in the same.practice sessions. But I struggled with it. It wasn't coming together. 

If Tuesday's session was correct, I've shifted the "down" feeling from chest down to more lower body. So instead of moving the chest down in the backswing I'm now having a squating feeling from p3 to the top. What I felt was that squating move cannot be trail adieu dominant. It has to be a feeling of squating into the lead side. It's a very quick inside of the trail foot to the inside of the lead foot in a very short amount of time. 

But I got it right. It needs to marinate now...I need to keep working it. But that fave on video shows how it started. That practice swing move is what I was working on. It just ended up being less lateral because I was less into the trail side.

Like I said, I'm really close.

3 minutes ago, tthomasgolfer605 said:

Since you used Rahm, I'll point out the huge difference. You spin the shoulders open too fast causing the hands to go out too much. Look at Rahm's arm position. Basically straight down with more shoulder turn left over to use later.

Untitled.jpg

Rahm.jpg

Yep. My hands have worked toward the ball in transition forever. I normally key on keeping my back facing the target for as long as I can. It's a swing key I use when I play. But in the session those videos came from, I wasn't focused on it at all. I was letting everything go once I felt lead side pressure in my foot. 

My goal is go get the pressure shift to be natural so i can stay focused on what's worked well.

My primary intent right now is to continue to solidify my impact position...getting posted up on the lead side and not allowing my upper body and head to slide. Stability. Once I get that down, without thought, then I will be so much better. 

When I play, I'll still be focused on my old swing keys. 

4 hours ago, tthomasgolfer605 said:

So, you're trying to get to the trail side early, then to the lead side very quickly and fall away from the target in one second? Good luck.

With that much weight behind the heels at setup is it even possible to get a good and proper pressure shift?

From what I’ve seen from Monte the shift comes from the hips rotating and the right side getting behind and towards the target. With that much weight back seems like the hips wouldn’t work the right way to get the pressure to shift 

Edited by GoGoErky

You do need better posture, more upright, hands closer as indicated.

It also looks like you have way too much weight on your toes from start to finish.

Hands should some down more early in downswing (as opposed to towards the ball), shoulders should be parallel to target line at impact.

Well, basically your hip action in the backswing is a move of your left hip towards the target line with no real move of the right hip away from the target line.  Looks like you start to try to push your right hip back (actually it looks like you just rock back on your heels) but it’s like a token gesture that doesn’t last.

Just some ideas from a random guy you should probably disregard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chunkitgood said:

You do need better posture, more upright, hands closer as indicated.

It also looks like you have way too much weight on your toes from start to finish.

Hands should some down more early in downswing (as opposed to towards the ball), shoulders should be parallel to target line at impact.

Well, basically your hip action in the backswing is a move of your left hip towards the target line with no real move of the right hip away from the target line.  Looks like you start to try to push your right hip back (actually it looks like you just rock back on your heels) but it’s like a token gesture that doesn’t last.

Just some ideas from a random guy you should probably disregard.

Always battle posture...always. I need to record on-course swings to see how I am going into my routine and shot execution. I know that as I get deeper into a range session, I settle into my heels more and more. 

The right hip move is something I've always battled too. When I try to limit it I get all out of balance. Just hasn't been a priority and probably won't be the rest of this year...we'll see if I wwnt to tackle it.

8 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Yep. My hands have worked toward the ball in transition forever. I normally key on keeping my back facing the target for as long as I can. It's a swing key I use when I play. But in the session those videos came from, I wasn't focused on it at all. I was letting everything go once I felt lead side pressure in my foot. 

My goal is go get the pressure shift to be natural so i can stay focused on what's worked well.

My primary intent right now is to continue to solidify my impact position...getting posted up on the lead side and not allowing my upper body and head to slide. Stability. Once I get that down, without thought, then I will be so much better. 

When I play, I'll still be focused on my old swing keys. 

Your hands aren't going to work any better under pressure on the course just because you are consciously thinking about it. I understand you are working on your pressure shift, but some of the things pointed out can easily be working against your pressure shift goals. You are treating them as if they are mutually exclusive issues, most of the time that is not the case in the golf swing

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Krt22 said:

Your hands aren't going to work any better under pressure on the course just because you are consciously thinking about it. I understand you are working on your pressure shift, but some of the things pointed out can easily be working against your pressure shift goals. You are treating them as if they are mutually exclusive issues, most of the time that is not the case in the golf swing

I'm treating them as mutually exclusive from a "time to work on it" perspective. I'm only working on what I've pointed out. It's a big enough change on its own. 

I do incremental improvements not overhauls. This year's incremental improvement is reducing lateral slide. 

54 minutes ago, Nickc said:

A bit confused what the falling away from the 'target' feeling is about.

This is a still shot of me in the downswing in late September. The line you see is the line that runs up the lead side of my face at address. You can see that my entire body has moved target side way too much. Too much slide. The fall away from the target is the feeling that works for me to not sway past that line in the downswing.

Screenshot_20220914-063837.jpg

1 hour ago, getitdaily said:

This is a still shot of me in the downswing in late September. The line you see is the line that runs up the lead side of my face at address. You can see that my entire body has moved target side way too much. Too much slide. The fall away from the target is the feeling that works for me to not sway past that line in the downswing.

Screenshot_20220914-063837.jpg

Ok. What seemed confusing is that falling away from the target could imply moving pressure back to the trail side.

Perhaps a feeling that may possibly be useful could be falling away/back from the target line, especially with the lead side / hip.

Edited by Nickc

4 minutes ago, Nickc said:

Ok. What seemed confusing is that falling away from the target could imply moving pressure back to the trail side.

Perhaps a feeling that may possibly be useful could be falling away/back from the target line, especially with the lead side / hip.

Whatever you find that works. For me, it's fall away from the target...not target line. Has to be done from a loaded lead side, not from a loaded trail side.

17 hours ago, tthomasgolfer605 said:

Since you used Rahm, I'll point out the huge difference. You spin the shoulders open too fast causing the hands to go out too much. Look at Rahm's arm position. Basically straight down with more shoulder turn left over to use later.

This is because he's too far away from the ball. He will whiff if his arms were in Rahm's position. 

Looks complicated. To me, the simplest way to get rid of a lateral slide is to practice your swing at the edge of a cliff. In the absence of a cliff, you could use the curb of a sidewalk, or the edge of a porch near the stairs. Perhaps it's an unfair reading of your first post, but it seems you're either thinking of too many things for your swing to be reactively athletic, or not enough things for it to be robotically effective. Best of luck in your efforts.

• Like 1

You should work with an instructor if you are trying to make major changes in your swing, it will save you time and energy when you have someone helping who does it for a living that you can also bounce ideas off of. We have all been guilty of what you are doing, I'm afraid you are going to be back to square one after doing all this work, been there and done that.

I do know your shaft position is a major problem fighting against any changes you are trying to make, they will never stick and probably adding to the problem which you are trying to fix.

image.png.47a418c1a51107184388301af6116473.png

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MK7Golf21 said:

You should work with an instructor if you are trying to make major changes in your swing, it will save you time and energy when you have someone helping who does it for a living that you can also bounce ideas off of. We have all been guilty of what you are doing, I'm afraid you are going to be back to square one after doing all this work, been there and done that.

I do know your shaft position is a major problem fighting against any changes you are trying to make, they will never stick and probably adding to the problem which you are trying to fix.

image.png.47a418c1a51107184388301af6116473.png

I do. I go over the idea with him, get perspective, and go to drilling it in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I'm treating them as mutually exclusive from a "time to work on it" perspective. I'm only working on what I've pointed out. It's a big enough change on its own. 

I do incremental improvements not overhauls. This year's incremental improvement is reducing lateral slide. 

All of the criticism of your videos I'm seeing here stems from your set-up. People are suggesting that with some simple set-up changes, a lot of what you're working on may resolve itself (or with a heck of a lot less time/effort). I'd take the much shorter amount of time it would take to change my ball position and THEN see what I need to work on. Right now, you're just fighting everything that can result from having the ball 6" too far forward and away from you.

17 minutes ago, KMeloney said:

All of the criticism of your videos I'm seeing here stems from your set-up. People are suggesting that with some simple set-up changes, a lot of what you're working on may resolve itself (or with a heck of a lot less time/effort). I'd take the much shorter amount of time it would take to change my ball position and THEN see what I need to work on. Right now, you're just fighting everything that can result from having the ball 6" too far forward and away from you.

Maybe so. But that's not a focal point right now. It could be at some point later this year. I know I have setup keys that I get lazy with at times. This thread is about the shift. It's building on videos I've posted the last 6 or so weeks on getting to my lead side earlier in the backswing. That move was targeted to significantly reduce lateral movement in the downswing. I can see progress there, and my ballstriking has shown it. 

I have progressed to trying to get onto my trail side a touch more in the backswing since incorporating earlier lead side shift....putting it all together.

I fight lazy setup issues. I reach for the ball at times - sometimes a TON more than what you see. I have a drill I use to help with that. I'm not saying anyone is wrong about setup. What I am saying is that it's not my focus for this thread. It's an element I try to keep in check but not what I was focused on when I made these videos. 

Changes are hard to ingrain. The reduction or elimination of too much lateral movement is a BIG change. I keep.my eye on other keys that I know cause issues. I know this change will likely lead to additional stuff that will need to be addressed. Time will come for that. 

Incremental, not wholesale. 

Edited by getitdaily