What is like an Mizuno MP63 that is currently available?

CoolBreeze

I had a set of MP63s that I just loved. Unfortunately they were stolen and I was looking for a replacement. My local store only at the new JPX Forged 923 and for some reason they look considerably larger than what I remember the MP63 to look like. Does anyone remember this club? Any recommendations for irons that are are available that are similar? Thanks.

Edited by CoolBreeze

• CoolBreeze changed the title to What is like an Mizuno MP63 that is currently available?

Used the MP-63s for a long while (and before that, MP-60s, MP-32s, MP-33s), followed by the MP-5s. I would say that the MP-5s were just as forgiving, but felt better than the MP-63s. 

I’ve just very recently moved into some JPX 923 Tours and early impressions are extremely favourable. Probably the closest modern day version to the MP-63s. They have maybe a touch more bounce, but I’ve not noticed that being an issue (but current conditions are slightly soft, so difficult to say for sure what they’ll be like off firmer turf)

• Like 1

What's In Today's Bag.... 
TaylorMade Qi10 10.5° (@9.5°) Fujikura Ventus Black 6
TaylorMade Qi10 15° Graphite Design Tour AD XC 7

TaylorMade Qi10 18° Graphite Design Tour AD XC 8  or  TaylorMade Stealth 2 Rescue 19° Graphite Design Tour AD IZ Hybrid 85 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-iron Recoil 95  or  TaylorMade Stealth 2 Rescue 22° Graphite Design Tour AD IZ Hybrid 95
Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-PW KBS Tour V
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F KBS Tour V / 54.10S KBS 610 / 58.04T 
TaylorMade Spider X Hydroblast #3

Second JPX Tours as the distant successor to the MP cavities.  I played MP-63 in college and enjoyed 10+ years ago, but there are design advantages in the newer clubs.  I got along great with JPX Tour 900 after MP63s.

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9* / Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini Driver 13.5* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 7X

Callaway UW 19* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 8X

Srixon ZX MkII 4U / Nippon Modus GOST X

Ping i230 5-P / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 X100

Titleist SM10 50.08F / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM9 54.10S / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM9 60.04T / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping PLD Custom Prime Tyne S / BGT Stability Tour Black

Titleist ProV1

MP63's were a classic!

closest from Mizuno would be the new 923 Tour iron, other options from other manufacturers would be Wilson Staff CB, Titleist CB or t100, Callaway TCB

• Like 1

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

I loved the MP63s!!!  They never caught cult status like the 60s, 62s, or 64s, but I thought they felt better and played longer than any of those others. Not as pretty in the bag, but man they played great!

They had a bit of a preworn sole if I recall. Maybe check out the Titleist 620CBs. I loved those irons!  The best feeling Titleist irons I’ve owned. Might also recommend the Taylormade P7MCs. Not as sweet feeling as the mizunos, but not far off. 

Edited by BCULAW
  • Like 2

Wouldn't the Mizuno Pro 223 irons be the closest comparable out of their current lineup? I play with a guy who still plays the MP-63 and he still seems to hit them well (I believe he's a +2 index). Having seen them most weekends over the past few years they look somewhat similar, although I would imagine the feel would be quite different given all the technology in the new irons.

• Like 1

I'm on set #2 of 63's.  Have  brand new set #3 in the closet for when those wear out. Bought set #1 the first week they were released. 

63's have a much thinner top line than any mizuno sold in last bunch of years.  Great sole grind with heal and toe relief.  Nice heft behind the sweet spot, and a little forgiveness. It's the perfect iron. I'll be buried with a set. 

• Like 2

On 3/20/2023 at 6:19 PM, Mudweasel said:

Used the MP-63s for a long while (and before that, MP-60s, MP-32s, MP-33s), followed by the MP-5s. I would say that the MP-5s were just as forgiving, but felt better than the MP-63s. 

I’ve just very recently moved into some JPX 923 Tours and early impressions are extremely favourable. Probably the closest modern day version to the MP-63s. They have maybe a touch more bounce, but I’ve not noticed that being an issue (but current conditions are slightly soft, so difficult to say for sure what they’ll be like off firmer turf)

Great feedback!  I feel Mizuno irons have gotten larger since the 63 (at least in the last 5 years). How do the 923 tours compare in size? Are they similar? I appreciate the comments about the bounce too - much appreciated. 

On 3/20/2023 at 8:14 PM, tlehmann said:

Second JPX Tours as the distant successor to the MP cavities.  I played MP-63 in college and enjoyed 10+ years ago, but there are design advantages in the newer clubs.  I got along great with JPX Tour 900 after MP63s.

On 3/20/2023 at 8:23 PM, craz-e said:

MP63's were a classic!

closest from Mizuno would be the new 923 Tour iron, other options from other manufacturers would be Wilson Staff CB, Titleist CB or t100, Callaway TCB

It seems like a lot of people think the 923 tour should be look at. I haven't seen one in person yet but will have to check them out. The Titleist T100/T100s are on my list to check out too. Mizuno went multi-material for many years and its hard to find a direct successor to the MP63. I surprised only person mentioned 223 - I can't tell by the pictures but I originally thought they looked considerably more beefy.  Its almost like no one cares about the the basic forged cavity iron these days. I might be interested in the 223 if they are similar in size but just looking at the pics again the 923 Tours seem to look smaller.

On 3/20/2023 at 8:57 PM, BCULAW said:

I loved the MP63s!!!  They never caught cult status like the 60s, 62s, or 64s, but I thought they felt better and played longer than any of those others. Not as pretty in the bag, but man they played great!

They had a bit of a preworn sole if I recall. Maybe check out the Titleist 620CBs. I loved those irons!  The best feeling Titleist irons I’ve owned. Might also recommend the Taylormade P7MCs. Not as sweet feeling as the mizunos, but not far off. 

I'm glad to see another golfer loves the MP63s!!! I agree about the cult following. That is why I asked the question on here - I felt in the pantheon of Mizuno Irons, literally no one talks about these.  In all honesty - I'm loving your recs. I tried to watch some review on the TXG youtube channel and it seems like the P7MCs and 620CBs are never mentioned or always downgraded compared to the T100s or P790s. Are forged cavity blades really that much harder to hit than these new high tech wonders. I'm an 8 hdcp and I have never thought so but maybe I don't know what I'm missing. 

On 3/25/2023 at 1:09 PM, Baconator said:

Wouldn't the Mizuno Pro 223 irons be the closest comparable out of their current lineup? I play with a guy who still plays the MP-63 and he still seems to hit them well (I believe he's a +2 index). Having seen them most weekends over the past few years they look somewhat similar, although I would imagine the feel would be quite different given all the technology in the new irons.

this is a great question. I haven't seen them in person. They look bigger in the pics but I can't really tell.

On 3/25/2023 at 11:47 PM, Asics10 said:

I'm on set #2 of 63's.  Have  brand new set #3 in the closet for when those wear out. Bought set #1 the first week they were released. 

63's have a much thinner top line than any mizuno sold in last bunch of years.  Great sole grind with heal and toe relief.  Nice heft behind the sweet spot, and a little forgiveness. It's the perfect iron. I'll be buried with a set. 

LOL - This is comment of the year to me. I honestly thought I was imagining it but I though most of the new MPs in that forged cavity category looked huge compared to these but have been unable to do a direct comparison. I loved the grind as well. The club just felt like it was getting through the turf so well. I actually hit these further and better than the multi-material MP59s I tried them against and I have my old flightscope data to prove it! Where did you find new sets of these? Did you buy them all when they first came out or did you search ebay, etc.?

1 hour ago, CoolBreeze said:

Its almost like no one cares about the the basic forged cavity iron these days.

OEMs might be moving away from this as the forged cavity is only marginally easier (debatable point I agree) to hit than a blade. I’m recalling from memory but I believe Ian from TXG mentioned something similar when they were reviewing the New Level 623 MB/CB lineup.

That being said, you might want to look at Cobras CBs. Never hit them and I’ve never been a fan of cobra due to some of the it past aesthetics but they look really, really good. 

Edited by Jmccas
  • Like 1

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

this is a great question. I haven't seen them in person. They look bigger in the pics but I can't really tell.

223s are definitely larger than all the traditional MP cavity backs, they have larger soles and thicker top lines as well as thinner faces in 4-7. Completely different club. Same goes for ZX7. 

Idk if there is anything similar that has been released in the last several years. Mizuno cb has gotten slightly larger and even if you go MP20 the cb is multi material. 

IMO the MP 4 / 64 / 54 / H4 was the best lineup, but they also draw a line of demarcation in the mizuno heritage. Releases after that (blades excluded) had thicker soles and more tech built in 

even the 63 / 53 had thinner soles than their immediate replacements. All of that is to say unless you are prepared to go down a rabbit hole of fitting and testing, just hop on eBay and grab a set of 63s 

• Like 1

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
OG M2 16.5* Speeder 757s

OG Apex 18* KK 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

2 hours ago, CoolBreeze said:

I'm glad to see another golfer loves the MP63s!!! I agree about the cult following. That is why I asked the question on here - I felt in the pantheon of Mizuno Irons, literally no one talks about these.  In all honesty - I'm loving your recs. I tried to watch some review on the TXG youtube channel and it seems like the P7MCs and 620CBs are never mentioned or always downgraded compared to the T100s or P790s. Are forged cavity blades really that much harder to hit than these new high tech wonders. I'm an 8 hdcp and I have never thought so but maybe I don't know what I'm missing. 

The options for a traditional forged players CB are few and far between now.  I keep trying the multi-material options, and most are either too big for my taste or lack the feel I'm looking for, with the exception of the two I mentioned above.  I've all but stopped shopping the mizuno CB offerings the last few years.  The JPX line is a bit too techy for my taste, and the MP CB offerings have gotten bigger and bigger the last 2-3 cycles.  I hear good things about the Pro 223s, but they haven't really piqued my interest. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DaRiz said:

223s are definitely larger than all the traditional MP cavity backs, they have larger soles and thicker top lines as well as thinner faces in 4-7. Completely different club. Same goes for ZX7. 

Idk if there is anything similar that has been released in the last several years. Mizuno cb has gotten slightly larger and even if you go MP20 the cb is multi material. 

IMO the MP 4 / 64 / 54 / H4 was the best lineup, but they also draw a line of demarcation in the mizuno heritage. Releases after that (blades excluded) had thicker soles and more tech built in 

even the 63 / 53 had thinner soles than their immediate replacements. All of that is to say unless you are prepared to go down a rabbit hole of fitting and testing, just hop on eBay and grab a set of 63s 

Yeah, the 223 are way more beefy and 4-7 have thinner faces and some forged "chromoly" crap. The Mizuno iron designer said he is getting shorter in distance with his age so he has made the lineups for forgiving, sucks for us who want something similar to mp63, 64.

The 223 iron should be in the JPX line and the current jpx tour should be in the mp lineup with just a slightly reduced foot print. They are slightly larger heel to toe than mp 63,64.

Edited by MK7Golf21
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 8:41 AM, CoolBreeze said:

LOL - This is comment of the year to me. I honestly thought I was imagining it but I though most of the new MPs in that forged cavity category looked huge compared to these but have been unable to do a direct comparison. I loved the grind as well. The club just felt like it was getting through the turf so well. I actually hit these further and better than the multi-material MP59s I tried them against and I have my old flightscope data to prove it! Where did you find new sets of these? Did you buy them all when they first came out or did you search ebay, etc.?

My good friend plays mp20 blades and side by sidey 63`s have an easily visible thinner top line. Everything is just thicker these days and I can't stand looking down at that thick top line. 

I bought my first set custom order from mizuno and 2 other new sets from Ebay about 10 years ago. It takes me about 6-8 years to wear out a set. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 10:09 AM, Jmccas said:

OEMs might be moving away from this as the forged cavity is only marginally easier (debatable point I agree) to hit than a blade. I’m recalling from memory but I believe Ian from TXG mentioned something similar when they were reviewing the New Level 623 MB/CB lineup.

That being said, you might want to look at Cobras CBs. Never hit them and I’ve never been a fan of cobra due to some of the it past aesthetics but they look really, really good. 

I'll have to find that video to watch. That would be interesting to hear them say. In all honesty, I got the impression they don't really like that kind of club. When they did the review of the Taylormade MCs they seemed to imply they would  never play them. Not sure what to think of that as they are scratch and I am an 8. Maybe I'm just nostalgic or stuck in the old times....or the new tech his really that much better.

Those Cobras do look nice. I would not have expected that from Cobra given their past offerings. Thanks for the heads up.

On 3/27/2023 at 10:18 AM, DaRiz said:

I appreciate the knowledge of the other model lines. I went through the entire Mizuno archive on their site trying to figure out the progression from 63 to 64 to ??? and couldn't figure it out. I thought I was imagining it as I have been out of the loop for a bit. But everything (besides the actual blades) - got larger. 

Re:ebay - I did exactly that! I found a set for a little over $200 - if for no other reason I can see if my memory of how awesome they were is telling me the truth or if I was just imagining it!  I will say this -- In person, they are considerably smaller than the Z765s that I have. Wow - everything did get bigger!

On 3/27/2023 at 10:42 AM, BCULAW said:

The options for a traditional forged players CB are few and far between now.  I keep trying the multi-material options, and most are either too big for my taste or lack the feel I'm looking for, with the exception of the two I mentioned above.  I've all but stopped shopping the mizuno CB offerings the last few years.  The JPX line is a bit too techy for my taste, and the MP CB offerings have gotten bigger and bigger the last 2-3 cycles.  I hear good things about the Pro 223s, but they haven't really piqued my interest. 

I agree with what you said (especially with the JPX line). The Titleist and Taylormade offerings look great. I will also say, I just saw the T100/100s in the store and they look great too. The 223s.....look better than previous offerings but the soles look huge to me. Not sure what to think. Maybe I can try them on a demo day to see what they are like.

On 3/27/2023 at 10:53 AM, MK7Golf21 said:

Yeah, the 223 are way more beefy and 4-7 have thinner faces and some forged "chromoly" crap. The Mizuno iron designer said he is getting shorter in distance with his age so he has made the lineups for forgiving, sucks for us who want something similar to mp63, 64.

The 223 iron should be in the JPX line and the current jpx tour should be in the mp lineup with just a slightly reduced foot print. They are slightly larger heel to toe than mp 63,64.

The chromoly switch in the 223s seems weird to me. Mizuno makes their bread and butter on grain flow forged soft feel faces of 1025. I haven't hit it...but I wonder if it feels different. That would be weird to have such a change mid-set. At least in my mind - maybe its fine when you play them.

On 3/28/2023 at 7:19 PM, Asics10 said:

My good friend plays mp20 blades and side by sidey 63`s have an easily visible thinner top line. Everything is just thicker these days and I can't stand looking down at that thick top line. 

I bought my first set custom order from mizuno and 2 other new sets from Ebay about 10 years ago. It takes me about 6-8 years to wear out a set. 

that's what I thought when I saw the MP20s online - I just did the ebay thing and these MP-63s are noticeably thinner than anything I have seen in awhile! I did just see the t100/100s for the first time though this week and they look pretty good!

Edited by CoolBreeze

The chromoly switch in the 223s seems weird to me. Mizuno makes their bread and butter on grain flow forged soft feel faces of 1025. I haven't hit it...but I wonder if it feels different. That would be weird to have such a change mid-set. At least in my mind - maybe it’s fine when you play them.

they need it for thin springy faces, soft 1025 won’t work. 

i don’t mind it but it should be on the jpx tour which is what the jpx line is for, that kind of tech not the mp iron one step down from the blade. 

jpx tour is more a players iron than mp223. Even the brand new jpx tour 223 which has even thinner top line and 1025 forged heads

• Like 1