2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Miura MC-502 vs KM-700

Rich1213

Hi all,

Working on building a new set and wondering if anyone else has had the opportunity to game/try the 502s and the 700s? I’m a solid/consistent ball striker, loved both when I tried them. Trying to figure out how to decide or do a split set? 

I couldn’t tell much difference in terms of forgiveness but assume the 700 would be better for long irons. Curious people thoughts in general.

thanks!

42 minutes ago, chonkoa said:

My two cents will be longer irons to be MC502 and shorter irons to be KM700.  This is based on one of my sets being TB Zero (7-G) MC501(3-6).

Good luck.

TB Zero and KM 700 are nothing alike. I have both, I think you do too. 

If you want a blended set of MC 502 and KM 700 you would use the MC 502 in the short irons and KM 700 in the long irons. I wouldn't suggest it though. The MC 502 is a 'rounder' head and the KM 700 is a 'squarer' head. In all likelihood, your eyes would not agree with the transition from MC 502 to KM 700. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EaglesGolf99 said:

TB Zero and KM 700 are nothing alike. I have both, I think you do too. 

If you want a blended set of MC 502 and KM 700 you would use the MC 502 in the short irons and KM 700 in the long irons. I wouldn't suggest it though. The MC 502 is a 'rounder' head and the KM 700 is a 'squarer' head. In all likelihood, your eyes would not agree with the transition from MC 502 to KM 700. 

That’s fair, I will have to go look at them side by side again. Have you noticed a significant difference in forgiveness? I couldn’t tell much difference personally but that was off a mat so not the best gauge. Personally thought the 502s had a better feel but was by a small margin.

40 minutes ago, Rich1213 said:

That’s fair, I will have to go look at them side by side again. Have you noticed a significant difference in forgiveness? I couldn’t tell much difference personally but that was off a mat so not the best gauge. Personally thought the 502s had a better feel but was by a small margin.

Club for club, the MC 502 is going to be far less forgiving than the KM 700. 

If your goal is to have KM 700 in the long irons and another blade in the short irons, I would suggest the Baby Blade 2.0 for short irons. My second suggestion would be TB Zero, and if you are capable of having them doctored up by Craftsman World, all the better. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 4:49 PM, NNJ said:

Any recommendations for long irons for someone with the KM-700 in short irons?

Pretty hard to find something as boxy with added forgiveness. I just got fit for a set and will likely either play the full range from P-4 or keep my Vokey 46 and put a Mizuno Fli Hi in for the 4.  I don’t think theres a natural fit for 5/6 iron replacement in terms of look & turf interaction so it would just come down to level of forgiveness needed and launch window.  The KM’s are fairly forgiving for the profile so perhaps you could make some adjustments with soft stepping the shafts if launch in the longer irons is the goal. 

• Thanks 1

Driver:  Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond S 8.1* - Ventus Black 6x

3W:  Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond T 14.1* - Kai'li Blue 70TX

5W:  TaylorMade SIM2 19* - Ventus Blue 7X

Irons (4-PW):  Callaway Apex TCB Raw - Oban CT-125 X-

Wedges:  Vokey 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.04A - Project X LZ 6.0 Blackout

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X7 - BGT Stability Black

8 hours ago, dpwatkins said:

Pretty hard to find something as boxy with added forgiveness. I just got fit for a set and will likely either play the full range from P-4 or keep my Vokey 46 and put a Mizuno Fli Hi in for the 4.  I don’t think theres a natural fit for 5/6 iron replacement in terms of look & turf interaction so it would just come down to level of forgiveness needed and launch window.  The KM’s are fairly forgiving for the profile so perhaps you could make some adjustments with soft stepping the shafts if launch in the longer irons is the goal. 

Thanks! I went with a CB-302 for the 5. It is a slightly different profile, but strangely, size-wise, it’s very similar and I need a stronger 5 to blend into my 3 icrossover which I usually play 1 degree weak (I play without a 4, so a 25 degree 5 and a 21 degree 3 crossover. Gapping works for me/where I play.

I think the irons that work will be a function of the players ability to accommodate the shift in the COG of the iron. The KM700 COG is slightly further out than other Miura irons. Some people notice and it bothers them, others have no issues with it.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9deg  Ventus TR Blue 6 S

Callaway  Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood Ventus TR Blue 7 S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 18 & 24 deg Ventus HB 8 S

Miura KM700 4-P Fujikura Axiom 105S

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52 deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

32.5" LAB Golf DF3 w/BGT Stability One Black | Pistol 2.0 Grip

Custom Vessel Lux Cart Bag

19 hours ago, NNJ said:

I went with a CB-302

YOU DID WHAT?! 😳

HOW DARE YOU! 😂

Driver: Ping G425 SFT 10.5* w/ Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 5S

Fairway Wood: Ping G425 SFT 3 Wood & 5 Wood

Hybrids: Ping G425 4-Hybrid (Ventus Blue)

Irons: Proto Concept C01TB 5-PW w/ Fujikura Axiom 105S

Wedges: Proto Concept Forged CB 50*, Miura K-Grind 2.0 54* & 58*

Putter: Evnroll ER5 w/ Stability Tour 2 Shaft

1 hour ago, NNJ said:

Don’t worry it’s just my backup set that I got very cheap from Japan…I’m still gaming the C05s

Oh I don’t care, just giving you crap haha 😉

how do you like the 302 head? I just got a set 5-GW and will be shafting them with Axiom shafts. Little tester on the range and it felt pretty nice. Still prefer the feel of the C05’s but I’ve noticed a little loss in distance that I don’t think strengthening the lofts will help with. But it might be the shafts too, so we shall see how it goes!

10 hours ago, NerdyGolfer said:

how do you like the 302 head? I just got a set 5-GW and will be shafting them with Axiom shafts. Little tester on the range and it felt pretty nice. Still prefer the feel of the C05’s but I’ve noticed a little loss in distance that I don’t think strengthening the lofts will help with. But it might be the shafts too, so we shall see how it goes!

I think it’s pretty nice and does feel good and is definitely a smaller profile than I was expecting (not complaining). I’m not sure the forgiveness is significantly better than the KM weirdly enough. Both feel great though (ditto the 05s)

oddly I feel like I can hit the 302 5 iron further than the C05 5 iron, but I think that’s the combo of the cavity, thinner sole, and my swing coming back (I was getting chunky and now that is fixed I can’t imagine the 302 actually being longer)

4 minutes ago, NNJ said:

I think it’s pretty nice and does feel good and is definitely a smaller profile than I was expecting (not complaining). I’m not sure the forgiveness is significantly better than the KM weirdly enough. Both feel great though (ditto the 05s)

oddly I feel like I can hit the 302 5 iron further than the C05 5 iron, but I think that’s the combo of the cavity, thinner sole, and my swing coming back (I was getting chunky and now that is fixed I can’t imagine the 302 actually being longer)

So something I'm finding is the soft face of the C05 doesn't launch the ball with as high of ball speeds as the 302's do (or any other one piece forge might). But the loft is slightly stronger as well. Does it have the same shaft as well?

On 7/22/2023 at 11:59 PM, NNJ said:

Really eh? Miura has been saying the KM are quite forgiving, and IMO they’re the sexiest they may but I just feel they’d be more demanding than my tc’s and that’s not really the direction I should go at my skill level haha. 

2 hours ago, Botchio said:

Really eh? Miura has been saying the KM are quite forgiving, and IMO they’re the sexiest they may but I just feel they’d be more demanding than my tc’s and that’s not really the direction I should go at my skill level haha. 

I may be in the unpopular opinion here but to me they are exactly as you say they are. I think they are just a better looking MC. But they are marketed as almost an in between for the TC and CB which couldn’t be furthest from the truth. (IMO)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, greenlight said:

KM was surprisingly weird to look at - so angular. I think the changes from the 501 to the 502 make that club look so much better from the top. KM reminds me more of my old school Mizunos (MP29) in the pointy-ness. 

I found both to be similar to hit. Therefore not worth the extra 50/club to me.

I agree with your take on how the KM vs MC hit/ feel. I genuinely don't understand why Miura advertises the KM as the club between the TC's and CB's...it almost gives false hope to someone playing CB's that they could easily pick up the KM's and be comfortable. And maybe that's what they want to happen? I do think they are maybe a touch easier to hit than the MC's, (this is splitting hairs) but not easier than the TC's.

I like the look of the KM, but definitely see how that could be offputting for some. 

Edited by NerdyGolfer

Km700 is my favorite compared with 1957 bb, bb 2.0, p7tw, mb001, mb5003, blueprint

• Like 1

Driver: Stealth 2 Plus 8* @ 6* w/ Fujikura Ventus TR Black 7X Tipped 1"

Fairway Wood: Stealth 2 Plus 15* @ 13* w/ Fujikura Ventus TR Black 8X Tipped 1"

Hybrids: Stealth 2 Plus 3-Hybrid 19.5* @ 18* w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Irons: Titleist U510 4i 22* w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 10x; P7TW 5-P (looking for the right shaft)

Wedges: Miura QPC Tour Milled (No Bounce) 52* @ 50*, 56* @ 54*, 58*

Putter: Yamada Handmade Limited Edition Samurai Burnt Copper 34"

33 minutes ago, mtnbiker5 said:

Keep chatting I’m intrigued to finally buy miura irons.  PXG 0317 cb now. 👍🏻👍🏻

PXG to Miura will be night and day. I’ve converted so many PXG players to JDM clubs (not just Miura) and have yet to see one want to go back!

PXG and any other hollow body irons to me are trash. Too unpredictable. If you are single digit, I personally believe the predictability in distance is worth giving up the potential forgiveness of the hollow bodies. I was sick of sometimes hitting a 7i 160 and other times hitting it 190. 

Yes, i realize this is largely pilot error, but the dispersion on a traditional forged non-hollow non-distance iron is more like 155-170. That’s more palatable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greenlight said:

PXG and any other hollow body irons to me are trash. Too unpredictable. If you are single digit, I personally believe the predictability in distance is worth giving up the potential forgiveness of the hollow bodies. I was sick of sometimes hitting a 7i 160 and other times hitting it 190. 

Yes, i realize this is largely pilot error, but the dispersion on a traditional forged non-hollow non-distance iron is more like 155-170. That’s more palatable.

This is very accurate. A true fully forged (or mostly forged) high quality club will have minimal jumpers and your distance control will be huge for your game. I play Proto concept C05’s and my distance control is +\- 5yds (because I’m not a scratch golfer). But that went from wild unpredictability to knowing if I want to hit my 7 165, I know it’ll be between 160-165 and hardly ever over 165.

This is very often overlooked in the game

• Like 2

I was near a fitter a month ago and wanted to hit MC-502 and KM 700 almost to convince myself that they weren't for me. I was wrong. 

They didn't have any KM's, so I just tried the MC-502. I had played titleist cncpt 3. On the trackman, I found carry distance and actual distance to be the same on the average, with the shot dispersement to be much tighter in the MC502. That was with the MC502 being 2 degrees weaker. 

I ended up purchasing them and couldn't be happier. It took me a few days on the range to adjust to the smaller head, but overall I am extremely happy with the change. My distance control is so much better, especially out of the rough. And I took them to Bandon last weekend and was impressed with the ease of control with trajectory and controlling my draw with the Muira's. 

I am 6.7 index and didn't think I would be a good enough ball striker, but they are plenty forgiving from 5 iron - PW. 

• Like 2

Lot to unpack in the above but this thread turned out great for anyone looking to buy some new Miura irons.

TL;DR: Tried almost every Miura, got the MC-502s, feel is incredible and indescribable at the same time. Nicest looking clubs I’ve seen in a bag in a while.

I ended up going to TrueSpec twice, first to try the full spectrum of CB / a few MB irons where I found I absolutely needed Miuras and ended up with a toss up between TC201s and MC502s. (Can follow-up with another post on my experience with some of the other irons).

The second time I went back to try the KM700, 302, 502 and 201 again. My takeaways:

-KM700 look awesome, but as someone noted above the COG is further out  and had a noticeable difference in feel as you close the club face during a swing. This was different than any of the other clubs I mentioned and couldn’t get over it.

-302 largest of the above, very “full” feeling when you strike the ball. Wasn’t the biggest fan of the relatively large sole (both from an optics and personally my swing isn’t that steep). Last thing I found interesting was I didn’t notice an increase in distance using this ended up hurting my spin numbers as well. I debated using these for my longer irons to give the added forgiveness for off-center hits, but given the significant difference in the size of the club and soul, with, I prefer the consistency of keeping one set.

-201 as I said above the numbers for this club and the 502s were neck and neck so it ended up coming down to feel. Miura designed the cub with weighting on each end of the club face, but not the middle to encourage stability, that results in a less “full” feeling when you make contact (IMO). That might not bother some as much as others but when you’re picking with such a narrow margin of difference, I think it’s worth noting. 

-502s (what I bought) to my eyes were the best looking clubs Miura offer and more approachable than the classic blades. Consistency of spin and distance on these clubs were pretty incredible and the contact feel is next level. I switched from the Callaway, apex pros, and for my longer irons lost 8 to 12 yards of carry. That said, what I lost in carry I picked up in reduced dispersion, distance consistency, spin rates and trajectory.

One thing I think it’s worth noting is these clubs definitely are more forgiving than a classic blade and the feedback from miss hits isn’t as brutal or punishing. Part of this I’m sure part of this is due to the face being smaller (bb excluded). That said I don’t want to give the impression these are similar to game improvement/players distance, they definitely are not. But if you’re looking to dip your toe on the water on blades, I’d recommend giving these / 201s a try. 

Lastly, couldn’t recommend TrueSpec enough, guys there were awesome and went out of their way to spend extra time with me on getting the right clubs. And yes I realize TS and Miura are owned by the same people but in fairness to them, they didn’t push the clubs and did a fantastic job of giving me a fitting without the sales pitch. I cannot say the same for my prior experiences with club Champion… But that’s for a separate thread.

Hope the above was helpful, happy to answer any questions people have. 

Edited by Rich1213
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just mentioned in the other tread, I just got my first set of Miura and it is KM 700.

i did try at 3 different times and shops, twice outside Japan (Miura International) and once in Japan (MiuraGiken MG) before i finally bought it from Aifie Golf in Osaka. Great gentleman by name Adachi San was patient enough to show n fitted me (and tip me for a better swing.)

As I am a higher handicapper at 18-20 HC, i feel KM 700 does offer a tad more forgiveness though not too much from TC101 which was the best option for me at the beginning. On good hits, both give similar numbers but the feel is ever so slightly better with KM. Another I noticed was, TC101 is ever so little easier to hit but a toe mishit gives off distance more than KM.

What I can share is, for me, KM is (against TC101) slightly more forgiving that it gives you less distance drop off from mishits, a little more full feel on good hits and unique look for a design. The design for me is something I appreciate being the supposed last design with hanko by Miura San himself, it just would carry some sentimental value in future beside being a good equipment to play with. And I think it is a club I really can grow into.

On 7/22/2023 at 1:26 PM, NerdyGolfer said:

Have you hit these yet with those shafts..feedback ? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, indianagolf2 said:

Have you hit these yet with those shafts..feedback ? 

Ill shoot you a message 🙂