2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Can the design of clothing be a rules infraction?

My friend pointed out something very interesting to me on the course today.

There was a bloke in the group ahead of us wearing a black top with white stripes down the front of both arms, and a white stripe horizontal across his chest.

When I saw him walking or standing normally, I thought nothing of it, but when my friend pointed him out at address, I could clearly see that the lines down his arms formed a V, and the horizontal line capped the V, so to speak. I haven't found a picture of this clothing online, but it was like the lines like I've added to the photograph below.

address.jpeg.495cb1a002ca68a0eb01ed8924f889d9.jpeg

Now, I know the use of alignment aids is not allowed on the course, but I'm not sure this design could be called an alignment aid. I'm also not sure what benefit the player gained. 

Is there any way this design could be called out for helping with alignment or posture on the course?

For the record, we weren't playing in a competition; the group ahead of us had nothing to do with us, and I am not looking to bring down penalties on him. My friend and I were just curious if a situation like this was covered in the rules.

Is it clever design, or is it a naughty advantage?

• Like 1

Here's what it says in the Equipment Rules:

4. Clothing (Rule 4.3)

Articles of clothing must not incorporate features:

• designed to assist the player with his alignment; or

• that might otherwise assist the player in making a stroke or in his play.

Use of Compression Clothing: Compression clothing has been available for many years and its use is widespread in both the winter and summer for temperature regulation and sun protection. Compression garments are not considered unusual equipment and consequently are permitted under Rule 4.3.

Use of Posture Garments (e.g., shirts): Posture garments, as currently available (2012), are considered to be a type of compression garment and should be permitted under Rule 4.3. These include: Posture shirts, Posture/sports bras, Girdles, and Shaping undergarments.

Clothing incorporating features designed to or which have the effect of: Storing and releasing energy, or Inhibiting or enhancing movement, are considered unusual equipment in breach of Rule 4.3.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

My friend pointed out something very interesting to me on the course today.

There was a bloke in the group ahead of us wearing a black top with white stripes down the front of both arms, and a white stripe horizontal across his chest.

When I saw him walking or standing normally, I thought nothing of it, but when my friend pointed him out at address, I could clearly see that the lines down his arms formed a V, and the horizontal line capped the V, so to speak. I haven't found a picture of this clothing online, but it was like the lines like I've added to the photograph below.

address.jpeg.495cb1a002ca68a0eb01ed8924f889d9.jpeg

Now, I know the use of alignment aids is not allowed on the course, but I'm not sure this design could be called an alignment aid. I'm also not sure what benefit the player gained. 

Is there any way this design could be called out for helping with alignment or posture on the course?

For the record, we weren't playing in a competition; the group ahead of us had nothing to do with us, and I am not looking to bring down penalties on him. My friend and I were just curious if a situation like this was covered in the rules.

Is it clever design, or is it a naughty advantage?

That's a lovely graphic, but what do you think the player sees?  @rogolf has quoted the applicable Rule, do you think a graphic on the shirt or sleeves really assists the player with alignment?  I don't see it, As far as I'm concerned there's no problem with the type of shirt design you describe.

• Like 1

Excuse me for being so obviously dense, but how can you use this triangle to set yourself up when it's on your own front?    

Edited by Colin L
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, davep043 said:

That's a lovely graphic, but what do you think the player sees?  @rogolf has quoted the applicable Rule, do you think a graphic on the shirt or sleeves really assists the player with alignment?  I don't see it, As far as I'm concerned there's no problem with the type of shirt design you describe.

Agree.  It's doubtful that the shirt was "designed to assist the player with his alignment".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rogolf said:

4. Clothing (Rule 4.3)

Use of Compression Clothing: Compression clothing has been available for many years and its use is widespread in both the winter and summer for temperature regulation and sun protection. Compression garments are not considered unusual equipment and consequently are permitted under Rule 4.3.

Use of Posture Garments (e.g., shirts): Posture garments, as currently available (2012), are considered to be a type of compression garment and should be permitted under Rule 4.3. These include: Posture shirts, Posture/sports bras, Girdles, and Shaping undergarments.

Clothing incorporating features designed to or which have the effect of: Storing and releasing energy, or Inhibiting or enhancing movement, are considered unusual equipment in breach of Rule 4.3.

What does a posture garment mean? Also the term Compression Clothing is alien to me as compression in my vocabulary means completely different than temperature regulation or sun protection.

1 hour ago, rogolf said:

Agree.  It's doubtful that the shirt was "designed to assist the player with his alignment".

Another interesting wording in the Rules.

Does "design" mean that the object in question has to be manufactured by a company? Or is an object "designed" if Jerry from Oklahoma decides to design and make great drawings on his shirt to help him align him when taking a stance?

In my eyes the entire idea of someone drawing something on their garment for alignment is not far away from sheer poppycock.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

What does a posture garment mean? Also the term Compression Clothing is alien to me as compression in my vocabulary means completely different than temperature regulation or sun protection.

One example.  
https://www.tommiecopper.com/special/shoulder-support-shirts/

5 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

Another interesting wording in the Rules.

Does "design" mean that the object in question has to be manufactured by a company? Or is an object "designed" if Jerry from Oklahoma decides to design and make great drawings on his shirt to help him align him when taking a stance?

In my eyes the entire idea of someone drawing something on their garment for alignment is not far away from sheer poppycock.

You're asking more questions than you're answering.  And the answers to your questions are unlikely to be available here.

9 hours ago, rogolf said:

4. Clothing (Rule 4.3)

That answers my question, I think. I should have searched for "Clothing" instead of "alignment aid".

9 hours ago, davep043 said:

I was doubtful about the actual benefit to the player as well (I said I was unsure of any benefit to the player). At best, the player at address can only see the "V" on his wrists and lower forearms; the horizontal line on his chest would be out of his field of view, unless he looked down specifically to see it.

8 hours ago, st1800e said:

Only a violation from the fashion police 

To be fair, it was pretty good to see the "V" on the clothes as the player went through the swing.

Thanks to everyone for the answers. I shall now go report to my friend.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rogolf said:

You're asking more questions than you're answering.  And the answers to your questions are unlikely to be available here.

If I knew the answers I would not ask the questions. And you never know who knows the answers. After all, this is a Rules Forum and I asked rules related questions so it would not be surprising if answers to rules related questions could be answered by somebody on this forum, don't you think?

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

What will you report? That the clothing is allowed or not allowed? I do not think we came to any solid conclusion over the issue.

That the article of clothing in question was probably OK.

However, when I spoke to my friend this morning, he mentioned that when he saw the guy set up, it looked like he used the white line on his left sleeve to adjust the angle of his club shaft at address, so that the shaft and white line formed a single straight line (similar to the photograph I posted above).

That sounds like an alignment aid to me.

2 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

However, when I spoke to my friend this morning, he mentioned that when he saw the guy set up, it looked like he used the white line on his left sleeve to adjust the angle of his club shaft at address, so that the shaft and white line formed a single straight line (similar to the photograph I posted above).

That sounds like an alignment aid to me.

Visual aids are specifically allowed in gloves (see Equipment Rules p. 70, Part 6, section 2). Why should they be forbidden in clothing?

What if I have made a tattoo of a straight line on my forearm to align my club, would that be a breach? Forearms are not equipment.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

You mean the advertisement of posture shirts? That is no article nor does it take a stand on the issue at hand. I cannot find any other "article" in this thread.

No, I mean "article of clothing" as in "item of clothing". A garment. A piece of cloth you wear. 

article of clothing definition

40 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

Visual aids are specifically allowed in gloves (see Equipment Rules p. 70, Part 6, section 2). Why should they be forbidden in clothing?

What if I have made a tattoo of a straight line on my forearm to align my club, would that be a breach? Forearms are not equipment.

Good, so that means that this particular garment does not breach any rules. I have the answer I was looking for.

12 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

You mean the advertisement of posture shirts? That is no article nor does it take a stand on the issue at hand. I cannot find any other "article" in this thread.

lol what?

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2