Garmin Approach s70

Has anyone tried the golf statistics feature? 

I have an S62, only reason I see to get one of these is if it can actively track scrambles, putts, FIRs, GIRs and whatnot. In the website they have a photo of % of drives missed right, left and the ones that are center, but no other information

Would appreciate any input 

For me it's S70 vs. Epix vs. Fenix vs. wait for Apple Watch Series 9

Comparison between the latest Epix, S70, S62, and Fenix: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=884292&compareProduct=847706&compareProduct=647267&compareProduct=865945

TLDR for things I care about:

• The Epix and Fenix do everything the S70 does (including green contour subscription), but with more other activities stuff and $200 more. Except Swing Tempo and Truswing, which I will probably never use
  • The S70 is the lightest and has the best screen

Among the Garmin products I'm leaning toward S70, even though the training and running features of the Epix and Fenix are appealing. If I'm honest it's mostly because I prefer the sleeker look, the light weight and screen are secondary reasons 😅.

Anyone compared Apple Watch to the Garmin options? I know Garmin has dual frequency GPS and only the Apple Watch Ultra has that; if they bring that to Series 9 would it change the calculus?

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

3 hours ago, geesecougar2 said:

For me it's S70 vs. Epix vs. Fenix vs. wait for Apple Watch Series 9

Comparison between the latest Epix, S70, S62, and Fenix: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=884292&compareProduct=847706&compareProduct=647267&compareProduct=865945

TLDR for things I care about:

• The Epix and Fenix do everything the S70 does (including green contour subscription), but with more other activities stuff and $200 more. Except Swing Tempo and Truswing, which I will probably never use
  • The S70 is the lightest and has the best screen

Among the Garmin products I'm leaning toward S70, even though the training and running features of the Epix and Fenix are appealing. If I'm honest it's mostly because I prefer the sleeker look, the light weight and screen are secondary reasons 😅.

Anyone compared Apple Watch to the Garmin options? I know Garmin has dual frequency GPS and only the Apple Watch Ultra has that; if they bring that to Series 9 would it change the calculus?

The S70 has a better screen than the Epix? I assumed they had the same screen. Also, if Apple watches still need to be charged every night that seems like a no brainer to go with a Garmin unless you don't mind charging nightly. I always found it funny they talk about sleep tracking but when are you supposed to charge a watch if you use it for sleep tracking?

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

20 minutes ago, bhj83 said:

The S70 has a better screen than the Epix? I assumed they had the same screen. Also, if Apple watches still need to be charged every night that seems like a no brainer to go with a Garmin unless you don't mind charging nightly. I always found it funny they talk about sleep tracking but when are you supposed to charge a watch if you use it for sleep tracking?

image.png.58b9f41d5a779d9c98528d457711314f.png

Slightly better resolution and larger display. Also the Optional Always-On mode but not sure if it's a typo

Good point on Apple Watch charging. I don't mind charging every night but it might mean a full round of golf would take a big hit out of the battery. 

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

3 minutes ago, geesecougar2 said:

image.png.58b9f41d5a779d9c98528d457711314f.png

Slightly better resolution and larger display. Also the Optional Always-On mode but not sure if it's a typo

Good point on Apple Watch charging. I don't mind charging every night but it might mean a full round of golf would take a big hit out of the battery. 

I've had a number of Garmin watches over the years and I considered getting a Google Pixel Watch and just couldn't deal with the constant charging. I don't understand how Garmin can figure out how to get a week of battery life with a similar screen and sending all your notifications but Apple and Google can't figure that out. I'd wonder if an Apple watch could even manage two rounds of golf on one charge. 

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

14 hours ago, mvvraz said:

I have an S62, only reason I see to get one of these is if it can actively track scrambles, putts, FIRs, GIRs and whatnot. In the website they have a photo of % of drives missed right, left and the ones that are center, but no other information

I have both S62 and S70.

for some reason, the shot detection on my S70 is very bad (compared to S62). Does anyone else have this problem? 

Apple Watch Ultra with Arccos and other apps takes 30-40%. Can definitely do two rounds with minimal charging. I don’t sleep with it. I’m also getting annoyed with lack of information compared to a dedicated golf watch. S70 incoming for a demo. I’m really looking to only use my phone to update Arccos (I still have a CaddyLink to try alongside the S70. I’ll have a fresh chance to compare the shot detection again of all components). Will report back. 

Edited by Golfcrzy
Update Arccos on phone *after round
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, addage said:

other than shot detection, how do the two compare? I have S62 and am really tempted to get the S70 but want to make sure it's worth it.

I have smaller wrists so always found the S62 quite bulky; especially in colder weather with pullovers/jackets etc. The 42mm size for me is perfect.

The biggest and best differentiator is the screen. The quality is very good, and going from the mediocore S62 display to the OLED on the S70 is a really nice thing to look at. It doesn't really affect the functionality at all and the cost is quite steep, but to me it's worth it.

4 minutes ago, fundustrial said:

I have smaller wrists so always found the S62 quite bulky; especially in colder weather with pullovers/jackets etc. The 42mm size for me is perfect.

The biggest and best differentiator is the screen. The quality is very good, and going from the mediocore S62 display to the OLED on the S70 is a really nice thing to look at. It doesn't really affect the functionality at all and the cost is quite steep, but to me it's worth it.

I agree with this assessment. I tried the S62 very briefly and just couldn't go backwards in screen quality from my Garmin Venu 2 Plus that has a similar screen to my S70. The Venu didn't have the full golf features but I was willing to give that up and went back to it over the S62. The S70 fits what I want from a Garmin golf watch, finally. I don't believe the S62 had a built in barometer either which is now on the S70 and should help with the Plays Like feature which I admit, I do not use much at my home course. 

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

On 6/5/2023 at 11:08 AM, elsie451 said:

Not sure if the golfing apps are exactly the same or not, but the epix pro seems to do everything but swing tempo and tru swingScreenshot_20230605_140041_Firefox.jpg.203de5e5aec07cb7bd21108d8b36f846.jpg

My Fenix 6x Pro Sapphire screen has a few not listed, but does pretty much everything on that list, except swing tempo and true swing, and doesn't have a touch screen, and I don't have a golf membership, so no green contour colors, which are more visual candy, than add value. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

2 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

My Fenix 6x Pro Sapphire screen has a few not listed, but does pretty much everything on that list, except swing tempo and true swing, and doesn't have a touch screen, and I don't have a golf membership, so no green contour colors, which are more visual candy, than add value. 

I can't remember which Fenix I tried last year...I think it was the 6 sapphire and and I couldn't do the non touch screen after having one with the touch screen. It's so much easier IMO to just touch the screen than constantly pressing buttons to navigate a small screen. 

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

13 minutes ago, bhj83 said:

I can't remember which Fenix I tried last year...I think it was the 6 sapphire and and I couldn't do the non touch screen after having one with the touch screen. It's so much easier IMO to just touch the screen than constantly pressing buttons to navigate a small screen. 

My watch is the larger 51mm, for large wrists and big hands/fingers.  It's one button push to sub-menu, then to selection - no big effort, not much different than my wife's S-series golf watch with touch screen.  Mine reaches scoring screen on it's own, I confirm or adjust score, and it moves to next hole on it's own, moves to green screen on it's own too.  She has to go through similar touch screens to get the same functions as I push the button.  Touch screen works well for her small hands/fingers.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

19 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

My watch is the larger 51mm, for large wrists and big hands/fingers.  It's one button push to sub-menu, then to selection - no big effort, not much different than my wife's S-series golf watch with touch screen.  Mine reaches scoring screen on it's own, I confirm or adjust score, and it moves to next hole on it's own, moves to green screen on it's own too.  She has to go through similar touch screens to get the same functions as I push the button.  Touch screen works well for her small hands/fingers.

I take full advantage of using my finger to move around on the hole to get yardages to specific points and also tend to move the pin to a specific spot on the green. That was something I either couldn't do or found cumbersome. I think the touchscreen will work better for the majority of golfers who are looking for a golf watch first and multi sport watch second like myself, but just my guess after using a bunch of different Garmin watches. I like the stuff it tracks but I'm not the running or hiking type so would never make good use of all of the extra stuff a Fenix offers. It is nice for us all to be able to find one that works best for us though!

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

6 minutes ago, bhj83 said:

I take full advantage of using my finger to move around on the hole to get yardages to specific points and also tend to move the pin to a specific spot on the green. That was something I either couldn't do or found cumbersome. I think the touchscreen will work better for the majority of golfers who are looking for a golf watch first and multi sport watch second like myself, but just my guess after using a bunch of different Garmin watches. I like the stuff it tracks but I'm not the running or hiking type so would never make good use of all of the extra stuff a Fenix offers. It is nice for us all to be able to find one that works best for us though!

LOL I understand.  I don't use some of the Fenix functions cause they distract me.  Before Fenix I wore Rolexes and used Lasers for golf.  Now, I use Fenix and Z82 for informational widgets and apps but not a runner or hiker.  I cook so use multiple timers weekly.  Use Music controls at the gym, alarms, notifications, alt-time zones, health n stress and body battery functions due to my job, etc.  It's a great watch for me, but of all my friends, I am the only one that has it.  They all have S-series Garmin golf watches.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

9 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

LOL I understand.  I don't use some of the Fenix functions cause they distract me.  Before Fenix I wore Rolexes and used Lasers for golf.  Now, I use Fenix and Z82 for informational widgets and apps but not a runner or hiker.  I cook so use multiple timers weekly.  Use Music controls at the gym, alarms, notifications, alt-time zones, health n stress and body battery functions due to my job, etc.  It's a great watch for me, but of all my friends, I am the only one that has it.  They all have S-series Garmin golf watches.

I had a Fenix 5X before the S62. The S62 is much less obtrusive on the wrist while playing (I don't notice it at all) and easier to navigate with the touch screen.

I’ve been really enjoying my Apple Watch Ultra with the Tag app. I still use my S62 at times and after seeing all the YouTube videos on the S70 I had to pick one up. This is a picture of the watch outside in the Florida sun. interestingly enough, it seems brighter indoors than the ultra but outdoors the ultra maintains its brightness better than the Garmin. It still looks great though! And when you put it on your wrist, you can’t really feel it. Not sure I'm gonna keep it but who knows buyers remorse doesn't last too long.

IMG_2247.jpeg.6221fb7e68ba8fa7087b25358b91ff14.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Steelhead said:

I’ve been really enjoying my Apple Watch Ultra with the Tag app. I still use my S62 at times and after seeing all the YouTube videos on the S70 I had to pick one up. This is a picture of the watch outside in the Florida sun. interestingly enough, it seems brighter indoors than the ultra but outdoors the ultra maintains its brightness better than the Garmin. It still looks great though! And when you put it on your wrist, you can’t really feel it. Not sure I'm gonna keep it but who knows buyers remorse doesn't last too long.

IMG_2247.jpeg.6221fb7e68ba8fa7087b25358b91ff14.jpeg

@Steelhead Please keep us updated I am debating between the two and can't decide so would love more of your thoughts on the two!

Ping G400Max 11*

Taylormade M4 3wood

Callaway Tour Issue Superhybrid 23*

Ping I230 4-PW

PXG Sugar Daddy 52/56/60

Scotty Cameron Newport+ Jet Set

On 6/6/2023 at 12:18 AM, mvvraz said:

I think the stats are one of the best things about it. I love bringing up a hole and seeing how I've played it historically. On Par Threes seeing where my tee shots finish etc. 

And of course longest drive feature!!

You do occasionally have to edit stuff. I was looking at my driving stats and had a drive of about 60m. I thought, I can't recall topping one, it was from a course where I'd carved one into the water and had to take quite a penal drop. Of course the watch doesn't know this, it just knows you hit a driver, walked sixty metres and hit another club, voila, driver went 60m 😂

Gotta love a career tee shot and a delicate fat into the greenside bunker!

Yes I love the stat feature and virtual caddie too. 

GOLFWRX.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

I think the stats are one of the best things about it. I love bringing up a hole and seeing how I've played it historically. On Par Threes seeing where my tee shots finish etc. 

And of course longest drive feature!!

You do occasionally have to edit stuff. I was looking at my driving stats and had a drive of about 60m. I thought, I can't recall topping one, it was from a course where I'd carved one into the water and had to take quite a penal drop. Of course the watch doesn't know this, it just knows you hit a driver, walked sixty metres and hit another club, voila, driver went 60m 😂

Gotta love a career tee shot and a delicate fat into the greenside bunker!

Yes I love the stat feature and virtual caddie too. 

GOLFWRX.jpg

That's awesome man, I love it! 

Do you use those attachments for the clubs? Or is golf app subscription + the S70 sufficient? 

My coach is asking me to log my rounds so that we can start identifying my actual misses on the course, and this sounds like it would be perfect 

I don't use the attachments, and there is no subscription for me. NB I'm using the S62, I assume the S70 is an updated version (hence why I'm reading the thread). 

I don't really see the need for the club attachments, as you hit a shot, the watch detects the impact, a few seconds later, it will vibrate and ask you what you hit. The more rounds you play, the more it learns, so if you're on a par five tee, it will ask you to confirm that you hit driver. Obviously it may not be as intuitive as the attachments, which I assume register automatically. 

The other thing I don't do is putts, so my approach shots aren't logged super accurately. It won't pick up small chips all the time, and like I played the hole above, I hit my lob wedge about 20m into a bunker, but only had about a 3-4m bunker shot. It records it as 18m as I putt out and ended my round so it doesn't really know where my trap shot finished. 

But missing left, right, short etc it's really good. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mudguard said:

I don't use the attachments, and there is no subscription for me. NB I'm using the S62, I assume the S70 is an updated version (hence why I'm reading the thread). 

I don't really see the need for the club attachments, as you hit a shot, the watch detects the impact, a few seconds later, it will vibrate and ask you what you hit. The more rounds you play, the more it learns, so if you're on a par five tee, it will ask you to confirm that you hit driver. Obviously it may not be as intuitive as the attachments, which I assume register automatically. 

The other thing I don't do is putts, so my approach shots aren't logged super accurately. It won't pick up small chips all the time, and like I played the hole above, I hit my lob wedge about 20m into a bunker, but only had about a 3-4m bunker shot. It records it as 18m as I putt out and ended my round so it doesn't really know where my trap shot finished. 

But missing left, right, short etc it's really good. 

I really like the shot detection feature but for some reason my S70 does not register shots anywhere near as well as my S62. 

Anyone else have this issue? Hope a firmware update solves it…

1 hour ago, fundustrial said:

I really like the shot detection feature but for some reason my S70 does not register shots anywhere near as well as my S62. 

Anyone else have this issue? Hope a firmware update solves it…

have you asked Garmin on the S70 forum?  https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/golf/f/approach-s70

On 6/7/2023 at 4:25 AM, mvvraz said:

That's awesome man, I love it! 

Do you use those attachments for the clubs? Or is golf app subscription + the S70 sufficient? 

My coach is asking me to log my rounds so that we can start identifying my actual misses on the course, and this sounds like it would be perfect 

I had a S60 and just switched to a S70. I bought the 3-pack of CT10 attachments and use them on 2 wedges + putter.

The problem is that the watch otherwise does not detect putts and often misses small chips.

Since without those it cannot know exactly where you hit your next shot, I found the club distance and dispersion stats to be imprecise.
The attachments pretty much fixed it. I wouldn't recommend buying 14 attachments; it's just too expensive for the convenience of not having to select a club after you hit your shot. Takes half a second to do.

Edited by itsame

2 minutes ago, itsame said:

I had a S60 and just switched to a S70. I bought the 3-pack of CT10 attachments and use them on 2 wedges + putter.

The problem is that the watch otherwise does not detect putts and often misses small chips.

Since without those it cannot know exactly where you hit your next shot, I found the club distance and dispersion stats to be imprecise.
The attachments pretty much fixed it. I wouldn't recommand buying 14 attachments; it's just too expensive for the convenience of not having to select a club after you hit your shot. Takes half a second to do.

They definitely need to lower the price to maybe $100 for a set. ShotScope sells their X5 watch that includes the tags for the same price as a set of CT10. It's crazy. 

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

Just got an S70 in the mail. First impressions are mixed. Great watch for and feel. 

But you can’t load any course you want - you have to be playing one of the 5-7 closest courses to get the ability to start a round on your watch (ie. You can’t look at Pebble Beach from Florida). I have 30 golf courses closer to me than my club, and the Garmin Golf app is a joke. 

The little time I’ve spent interfacing with the watch on closer courses does not have me thrilled. It’s a bit sticky to navigate - especially the hazard arrows - and you can’t select a feature to highlight it to the best of my knowledge. 

Will give it a go during a round, but this is not the seamless device or experience I’ve been looking for so far. More to follow after an on course review. 

49 minutes ago, bhj83 said:

They definitely need to lower the price to maybe $100 for a set. ShotScope sells their X5 watch that includes the tags for the same price as a set of CT10. It's crazy. 

I agree, the pricing is ridiculous.

33 minutes ago, Golfcrzy said:

Just got an S70 in the mail. First impressions are mixed. Great watch for and feel. 

But you can’t load any course you want - you have to be playing one of the 5-7 closest courses to get the ability to start a round on your watch (ie. You can’t look at Pebble Beach from Florida). I have 30 golf courses closer to me than my club, and the Garmin Golf app is a joke. 

The little time I’ve spent interfacing with the watch on closer courses does not have me thrilled. It’s a bit sticky to navigate - especially the hazard arrows - and you can’t select a feature to highlight it to the best of my knowledge. 

Will give it a go during a round, but this is not the seamless device or experience I’ve been looking for so far. More to follow after an on course review. 

I have no idea why you would want to load a course on your watch when you are not playing it...?

The touch screen on my S60 was also a bit finnicky. The S40/42, S60/62 and now S70 all seem to have this problem.

Small touch screens aren't convenient if you don't have small fingers. Probably why several watches use the actual buttons to scroll instead.

Previewing courses is important to me. Especially because the SX550 I had demoed doesn’t have anything resembling an accurate layout of my home course. 

I wanted to check it out on the watch without having to go to my club to check. The Garmin Golf app is not in any way representative of the watch. It has my course and maybe the features are correct, but it’s a cartoon drawing of the hole. 

Im very shy about gps devices due to the SX550. 

Z82 is still safe in my demo pouch. Let’s see what on course has to offer. 

Good to know about the input issues not being me alone. 

Swung by the club, loaded up the course. Looks nice but the input stinks under perfect, not even playing but standing on the course conditions. I’ve got 18 in the morning I’ll try but so far it’s more frustrating to get the hazard info than I may be willing to tolerate. Will report back more after using it under live fire. 

Some positives are the screen is bright and colors are lovely. Numbers are accurate when compared to rangefinder and phone gps apps, even adjusted values are within a yard or two. 

Shame that it isn’t so slick navigating the actual hole, as it is to navigate the device. The device itself loads up fast, connects to satellites very fast, and generally is nice for a watch I guess. If it were an Apple Watch, we wouldn’t accept the input issues or the screen lag as it redraws holes. 

Not hating. Just reporting.