2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

what iron set do I need

Jeffinplano

I play Taylormade Stealth HD’s and I’m gonna throw them in the hat to demo. I play them and I really enjoy them, they’re just so dang forgiving and I can’t take them out of the bag. I’ve never carried so many bunkers and held so many greens. They just give me a confidence that I’ve never had in my equipment or my game. I feel like I’m gonna make every shot and even then when I put a bad swing on them they do a great job of covering up and leaving just short or to the left or right of the green pin high. 

Edited by ShermanKlump
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ShermanKlump said:

I play Taylormade Stealth HD’s and I’m gonna throw them in the hat to demo. I play them and I really enjoy them, they’re just so dang forgiving and I can’t take them out of the bag. I’ve never carried so many bunkers and held so many greens. They just give me a confidence that I’ve never had in my equipment or my game. I feel like I’m gonna make every shot and even then when I put a bad swing on them they do a great job of covering up and leaving just short or to the left or right of the green pin high. 

Are they draw biased as described? What shafts are in yours? I looked at these today and for the category they’re in, the don’t look bad at all. 

It depends on your swing. 
You could play either clubhead; but,  you didn’t  mention the shaft. Consider a shaft with a softer tip or maybe a lighter shaft. You might experience a higher launch with the existing club head but with a different shaft. 
Many GI club heads are designed for take off but there are variables within shaft and head combinations. 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

3 hours ago, boggyman said:

Are they draw biased as described? What shafts are in yours? I looked at these today and for the category they’re in, the don’t look bad at all. 

I have Regular flex KBS Tour Lite shafts in mine and I don’t notice them being draw biased really, just a nice straight ball flight. The extra spin they give me is what really sets them apart for me and the greens I’m holding has me starting to look at the pin a little bit more instead of just aiming for the fat part of the green. The only thing I really don’t like about them is the AW, I usually like to go through GW/AW but I just can’t get along with the set AW. I just ordered a 48° Cobra SnakeBite X wedge tonight to take its place. Other than that AW, I see these being with me for a very long time. They really don’t look awful in the bag either. I think these irons could really help a lot of golfers play much better golf if they were just honest with themselves and accepted that they are the target audience for these irons. I had to take my medicine and I’m glad I did. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ShermanKlump said:

I have Regular flex KBS Tour Lite shafts in mine and I don’t notice them being draw biased really, just a nice straight ball flight. The extra spin they give me is what really sets them apart for me and the greens I’m holding has me starting to look at the pin a little bit more instead of just aiming for the fat part of the green. The only thing I really don’t like about them is the AW, I usually like to go through GW/AW but I just can’t get along with the set AW. I just ordered a 48° Cobra SnakeBite X wedge tonight to take its place. Other than that AW, I see these being with me for a very long time. They really don’t look awful in the bag either. I think these irons could really help a lot of golfers play much better golf if they were just honest with themselves and accepted that they are the target audience for these irons. I had to take my medicine and I’m glad I did. 

Appreciate the reply! Sounds like you’re thoroughly enjoying them! I’ve currently got T Rail 3 Cobras with Recoil 95s in them  and like them but have been intrigued by the Stealths, espy after seeing them in person. 

12 hours ago, ShermanKlump said:

The Stealth HDs are magic clubs. Taylormade has sprinkled something on them. I know because I am the only golfer in existence with a negative swing speed and if they can make me hit a green from 150 yards out with a 7 iron, WITH a beautiful high ball flight, then they're magic. It was an out-of-body experience, because I'm a golfer who simply can't get his body weight forward during the swing. 

I know the above sounds pedestrian (perhaps even underperforming) to everyone else but, trust me, it is otherworldly as far as I am concerned. BTW, they have the Fujikura Ventus Red HY/IR shafts in senior flex. 

I don't work for Taylormade or sell their clubs. As a matter of fact, similar things have been said about the Ping G430 HL and the Mizuno HL. I'm just giving you my experience with these.

I think I'll quit while I'm ahead. 🙂 

• Like 4

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

On 6/9/2023 at 2:56 PM, Jeffinplano said:

I rarely play. I hit a 7 iron,  carry 150..total 162 yards at golf tec .... My peak height is low..Do I need game improvement irons or can I use players irons???? Suggestions?

Nearly every current iron design is "forgiving" and, or "game improvement". Buy whichever model you find to be the best looking when you address the ball.

On 6/10/2023 at 1:11 AM, Bravo36 said:

Jeff,

(assuming you are in Plano), 2nd Swing just built a new facility in The Colony off of 121.  It's very nice and they have a ton of different clubs, new and used, to choose from and hitting bays that you can use for free.  Fittings are available.

Jeff, I live in Plano too!

Sure, go to 2nd Swing to TRY all the clubs. Nod your head "yes" as much as you can to the salespeople. Get their "unbiased" recommendations for at least two brands/types of clubs. Then leave. 

Afterwards, head on over to Clubfinders on Plano Parkway & 75 and see if they have those brands/types of clubs on the racks. Kenny or Jason should be able to match the recommendations with what they have.

You're welcome.

😄

On 6/9/2023 at 5:56 PM, Jeffinplano said:

I rarely play. I hit a 7 iron,  carry 150..total 162 yards at golf tec .... My peak height is low..Do I need game improvement irons or can I use players irons???? Suggestions?

You rarely play, what irons did you hit at Golf Tec? What irons do you currently own? How old are you? How much do you want to spend?

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

4 hours ago, Milfordlefty said:

You rarely play, what irons did you hit at Golf Tec? What irons do you currently own? How old are you? How much do you want to spend?

I bought 225s from golftec...The #s were inferior to game improvement irons but he told me to buy them, as I'll grow into them.....But now I was told by another fitter, who fits PGA players, they are for good players or single digit handicap players so I'll probably need to sell the new set of these 225 blades for game improvement irons. I'm 46, and I can spend whatever amount.

On 6/10/2023 at 2:11 AM, Bravo36 said:

Jeff,

(assuming you are in Plano), 2nd Swing just built a new facility in The Colony off of 121.  It's very nice and they have a ton of different clubs, new and used, to choose from and hitting bays that you can use for free.  Fittings are available.

Free fittings, too.  Just make an appointment online and show up.  They'll walk you through a ton of irons to find ones that work for you.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jeffinplano said:

I bought 225s from golftec...The #s were inferior to game improvement irons but he told me to buy them, as I'll grow into them.....But now I was told by another fitter, who fits PGA players, they are for good players or single digit handicap players so I'll probably need to sell the new set of these 225 blades for game improvement irons. I'm 46, and I can spend whatever amount.

Play the 225's and learn how to hit the ball. You still have plenty of speed at 46.

• Like 1

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X 

12 hours ago, Jeffinplano said:

If you plan on taking lessons and playing more, you may grow into the 225s. If the plan is to just play the same, then my thoughts are to look at Ping G line (G430 or G710 are current, you could drop down to a pre-owned G425 or G700) or Callaway Paradym (or pre-owned Maverik). Same for TaylorMade (I am not as familiar with their model lines). If you like the look & feel of Mizunos, their 923 line either Hot Metal HL (high launch might assist in your ball flight concern) or Hot Metal lines might be a option. The 2nd Swing option mention by LeoLeo99 could work out very nicely. They have a large selection of new and pre-owned clubs, I beleive you will not get a hard sell from them and would take your 225s in trade (not sure how much of a loss you might take). I took lessons from GolfTec in Michigan, really like the coach, they more known for lessons than as a equipment retailer.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

On 6/12/2023 at 8:10 PM, Bravo36 said:

That's why people that know don't go to GolfTec.  Not necessarily a rub against GolfTec, they have their place I suppose, but sounds like You were obviously fitted incorrectly, and by a fair margin I'd wager.  And those 225s are not cheap.  My opinion.

On 6/12/2023 at 8:01 PM, LeoLeo99 said:

Free fittings, too.  Just make an appointment online and show up.  They'll walk you through a ton of irons to find ones that work for you.  

Thanks I'll give second swing a try...Didn't like my golftec coach so maybe I'll find a different one. I assumed a college player/coach could make the swing simple

On 6/12/2023 at 5:54 AM, Redpro said:

Sure, go to 2nd Swing to TRY all the clubs. Nod your head "yes" as much as you can to the salespeople. Get their "unbiased" recommendations for at least two brands/types of clubs. Then leave. 

Afterwards, head on over to Clubfinders on Plano Parkway & 75 and see if they have those brands/types of clubs on the racks. Kenny or Jason should be able to match the recommendations with what they have.

You're welcome.

😄

I called 2nd swing, and they said it's over 100 dollars to do a iron fitting.. How is it free?

On 6/12/2023 at 5:54 AM, Redpro said:

You're welcome.

😄

BTW what courses do you recommend in the DFW area??? I played Ridgeview and it was a toilet...but I don't want to spend 100 bucks for a round

1 hour ago, Jeffinplano said:

I called 2nd swing, and they said it's over 100 dollars to do a iron fitting.. How is it free?

You can just take a club from the racks on the far wall, or those on the floor and grab an open bay and hit them. A formal fitting in their fitting bays cost $100 I guess. Bo Hodnett or Brett at Golf Tech (NOT a Golf Tec) in Plano are much better fitters. They are on Avenue K and Plano Parkway. 

Edited by Redpro